Club v Country

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Club v Country - England win the World Cup or Blades go up as Champions.......

• SUFC

Votes: 237 89.8%
  • Engerlund

Votes: 27 10.2%

• Total voters

Senegal beat England 3-0 in the final with Ndiaye getting a hat trick

Then we get through January without being forced to accept a million for him, get promoted, get him on grown up wages, then have our first £100 million footballer on the books

Need an option for England to win the World Cup but not this World Cup. It doesn’t even feel like a World Cup. Not at the minute anyway.

If it was a simple binary choice and one event happens and the other doesn't and it means for this season (not future world cups), then it would definitely have to be a promotion as Champs for United over England winning  this world cup.

I say this because people seem very indifferent to this World Cup. For good reasons.

Also 4 years is a long time in league football (see Chesterfield for example). I'd rather go up sooner than later!

England win the world cup all day long, its a promotion, we will see many. If it was blades winning fa cup or England World Cup, I'd struggle with that choice. Blades winning top division definitely over England, but a standard promotion to a league we will be back down again very soon, not a chance.

United to get promoted as Champions all day long. Jesus can you imagine the fawning over the Premier League elites, if they did win the World Cup. The expert summarisers, the gender neutral panels, the constant repeats on Sky and everyone who couldn't care less about football, suddenly basking in the reflected glory and National pride.

Top level Football has been hijacked and sterilised by Sky, the Premier League and the PGMOL to the point its become almost unrecognisable and unwatchable. Thank fuck we’ve no chance of winning the World Cup, for no other reason than it would validate all of the above.

With a fairly important caveat that I’m not English (although I live here and hope they win) and the added caveat that neither am I from Sheffield (and don’t live there and hope fervently that Blades win every competition, match and tackle)..

International football is a sideshow, a circus. Might have the majority of the best players there, but rarely even has the best games to watch. I don’t begrudge those who enjoy it though, I see the collective joy (and despair) it can bring, often for people not as involved in football as club fans.

Although, to contradict myself… I remember watching Armstrong scoring against Spain with my dad.. and the sadness watching the Semi Final with my English friends in 1990. But those are brief moments of drama compared to the epic story of the Blades, for I could equally recount taking my dad to see us beat Man Utd in the Fifth Round and the relegation in 1994.

NB.. didn’t vote, as I’m Irish, but Club always.
You’ve piqued my curiosity now. Not English or from Sheffield, then how come you’re a Blade ?

This poll makes an assumption that probably excludes quite a few of us.

Yours, a Wales fan.
I'll still support England in the WC, but I'd rather see the Blades do well.

England could go out in the group stages and yes I'd be disappointed, but nowhere near as pissed off as I'd be about a United loss. Completely ruins my weekend and I turn into a reyt miserable bastard.
l’m like that . Worrying innit ?

You’ve piqued my curiosity now. Not English or from Sheffield, then how come you’re a Blade ?
Moved to England, was working in Sheffield (Lady HB from Rotherham), was invited along to watch the Blades by some colleagues*. First match was a FA Cup reply against Charlton and was stood on John Street, next match was 4-2 win against Manchester City.. fell in love with the club and city and been that’s about it.

For all of you who suffer the highs and lows of the last decades just remember this… some of us weren’t born into it, we chose it!!

*was also invited to that other team, but I’d been taking an interest in Blades for the couple of seasons before and was keen to see them, so declined that offer.

England
[ And when the myth has been destroyed and it's safe to think again
to think of pride without the fear of being branded without an iron
I will never feel guilt I will never feel sorry for showing my love and my passion
for misuse and abuse to laugh and to mock
you can't change it it's not a fashion
Don't cross my love with views of hate and forget what those thousands died for
They stood side by side against the face of oppression
as with everything good there's always some bad
even a rose has it's thorns
But to profane a land's name for the craze in the few
then it's not the truth that your after]

Thomas[MENSI] Mensforth
RIP

You can pick you friends, you can’t pick your family…or summat like that.

Moved to England, was working in Sheffield (Lady HB from Rotherham), was invited along to watch the Blades by some colleagues*. First match was a FA Cup reply against Charlton and was stood on John Street, next match was 4-2 win against Manchester City.. fell in love with the club and city and been that’s about it.

For all of you who suffer the highs and lows of the last decades just remember this… some of us weren’t born into it, we chose it!!

*was also invited to that other team, but I’d been taking an interest in Blades for the couple of seasons before and was keen to see them, so declined that offer.
Good choice and sensible colleagues it seems. I actually wasn’t born into it, made my own choice age 12. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

I'd even go as far as to say England lose 27-0 in all three group games and don't even get a corner if it meant United definitely get promoted

Blades every time. My interest in England ended when Tony Currie went to Leeds.

I'd definitely enjoy a World Cup win more than a Blades promotion. I think a lot of us would, but many don't want to admit it.

Blades to win a something proper would be a different conversation.
Yeah agree with this, I’d love to witness a World Cup victory, but if offered the choice of Blades winning the prem or champions league over that I’d be 100% choosing the blades

Back
Top Bottom