Club v Country

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Club v Country - England win the World Cup or Blades go up as Champions.......

• SUFC

Votes: 237 89.8%
  • Engerlund

Votes: 27 10.2%

• Total voters

Torrix1889

A reight Bobby Dazzler
Reaction score
The Ndaiye v England thread prompted the old Club v Country thing....so what would it be this year, England win the World Cup or Blades promoted as Champions...?

If it's one or the other then always the Blades being successful for me. Both would be ok as well though!

You don't choose the country you support (unless you're Indian and living in Qatar during the World Cup!) and I am very far from a fervent England fan. I watch tournament games and have been to a couple of England World Cup games in the past and will hopefully take my kids in the future. I hope they do well but it doesn't spoil my mood in any way if they don't do well like it does with the Blades.

England to win the world cup with hecky in charge , a resurgent jack O'Connell at the back, arblaster running the midfield, Wes in goal and jebbo tearing it up , up top

I'd definitely enjoy a World Cup win more than a Blades promotion. I think a lot of us would, but many don't want to admit it.

Blades to win a something proper would be a different conversation.
well to actually win the Championship is something proper and as weve only ever won it once its about time we won it again

plus the money will help pay for the new Kop stand

I'd definitely enjoy a World Cup win more than a Blades promotion. I think a lot of us would, but many don't want to admit it.

Blades to win a something proper would be a different conversation.

Echo this entirely.

Would love to see England win a World Cup in my lifetime, though this would be the worst one to win.
If it's that Vs a Blades promotion, I'd probably go for the World Cup.
The memories and the feel good factor it would bring to the country would outweigh a promotion that I've seen a few times before.

If you're talking about the Blades winning a proper domestic Cup, or something in Europe, different story.

I couldn’t really care less about the national team…..until a tournament is underway. Then I’m all in every time. So if England got to the final and you gave me the choices above, I’d choose England (plus we can still go up without being champs). But the rest of the time I’d always choose United.

Could be different this year though with the latter stages of the tournament happening at the same time as our league games

England, but only because I think there will be a few opportunities to see the Blades do well. A world cup is a once in a lifetime. Seeing that with my son would be fantastic. UTB

Completely not bothered about the national side and haven't been for years.

I expect my work dual-screens will be pressed into action to have most WC games on in the background but the hype about England going into any national tournament completely passes me by. I don't begrudge anyone having their fun, but it's Blades every time for me.

This country is terrible when England are doing well. Everything is 150% patriotism and it's ridiculous. You can't escape it. It's everywhere. The overkill makes it unbearable for me. I'd rather just get knocked out in the group stages and enjoy the actual football without all the bullshit. My favourite world cup was the one we didn't qualify for. So much fun. Everywhere was much nicer. You could go to the pub and enjoy the football without it being pissed dickhead central.

Has to be Blades promotion. The dust would soon settle winning the World Cup. Where as a season in the Premier league (at least) would be bring many more memories

I'd rather a Blades win promotion than England win the Word Cup, we're almost at a crossroads, gain promotion this season sets us up for good times.
Fail to get promoted then we'll need to financially down size next season and that might be our best chance gone

but the question is "Sheff Utd as champions or England win the World Cup"....so I've voted for England and don't mind us fininishing 2nd.
If the question was Sheff Utd for promotion back to the PL this season....then that beats anything England could do.

It would be ironic if England did win the World Cup.
It would be similar to Liverpool winning the Premier League during covid lock down with zero fans in the stadium.

I've been abroad during Summer many times over in the years and the scenes when England matches are on have been unbelievable with rowdy England fans taking over bars. Would be such a shame if England finally win the thing when there's hardly any fans at the matches or watching in pubs around the world.

Regards the World Cup I'm in the same boat as many others, in that it's the least excited I've ever been, probably because it's being played mid season in Winter.
However I've spoke to a few and we reckon that once the tournament starts then the enthusiasm should return and if England do well then
we all know how fickle football fans are, it'll suddenly become one of the best tournament's ever.

Blades everytime. I think we've more chance of becoming Champions than England have of winning the World Cup.
Englands last few games have been dire.

I remember a Sunderland fan of my acquaintance saying he'd celebrate more if Sunderland won a corner than if England won a World Cup, I always thought that was funny.

Of course like so many Sunderland fans he was really a closet Manchester United fan.

I am a Blade because I chose to be a Blade. I didn't choose to be English, I am English by accident of birth
The day I realised that SUFC is more important to me was when I was angry about TC not being selected to start for England at Poland in June 1973. I wasn't really that upset we had lost but I was very upset when we drew 1-1 against Poland at Wembley 4 months later cos I wanted TC to play in the 74 World Cup

I'd rather a Blades win promotion than England win the Word Cup, we're almost at a crossroads, gain promotion this season sets us up for good times.
Fail to get promoted then we'll need to financially down size next season and that might be our best chance gone

but the question is "Sheff Utd as champions or England win the World Cup"....so I've voted for England and don't mind us fininishing 2nd.
If the question was Sheff Utd for promotion back to the PL this season....then that beats anything England could do.

It would be ironic if England did win the World Cup.
It would be similar to Liverpool winning the Premier League during covid lock down with zero fans in the stadium.

I've been abroad during Summer many times over in the years and the scenes when England matches are on have been unbelievable with rowdy England fans taking over bars. Would be such a shame if England finally win the thing when there's hardly any fans at the matches or watching in pubs around the world.

Regards the World Cup I'm in the same boat as many others, in that it's the least excited I've ever been, probably because it's being played mid season in Winter.
However I've spoke to a few and we reckon that once the tournament starts then the enthusiasm should return and if England do well then
we all know how fickle football fans are, it'll suddenly become one of the best tournament's ever.
Great point mate. I’d take 2nd place any day.
I’m not optimistic either! I usually am & nothing ever comes of it so hopefully luck can go the other way 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Hope England win every single game they play but if I’m honest I don’t lose any sleep over a loss, could lose 10 nil and I wouldn’t give a toss in the grand scheme of things, but I’ll still be cheering them on in the World Cup though and I hope we win the whole thing.

Blades? Different kettle of fish, they are in my blood and at times rule my life with how I am feeling, which obviously revolves around results. Don’t know what I’d do without United, I’ve not been able to go over the last year or so due to health problems but I watch every game religiously and I’m hoping to be back at the lane before the seasons out.

So for me personally the question is a no brainer.

With a fairly important caveat that I’m not English (although I live here and hope they win) and the added caveat that neither am I from Sheffield (and don’t live there and hope fervently that Blades win every competition, match and tackle)..

International football is a sideshow, a circus. Might have the majority of the best players there, but rarely even has the best games to watch. I don’t begrudge those who enjoy it though, I see the collective joy (and despair) it can bring, often for people not as involved in football as club fans.

Although, to contradict myself… I remember watching Armstrong scoring against Spain with my dad.. and the sadness watching the Semi Final with my English friends in 1990. But those are brief moments of drama compared to the epic story of the Blades, for I could equally recount taking my dad to see us beat Man Utd in the Fifth Round and the relegation in 1994.

NB.. didn’t vote, as I’m Irish, but Club always.

I'll still support England in the WC, but I'd rather see the Blades do well.

England could go out in the group stages and yes I'd be disappointed, but nowhere near as pissed off as I'd be about a United loss. Completely ruins my weekend and I turn into a reyt miserable bastard.

Echo this entirely.

Would love to see England win a World Cup in my lifetime, though this would be the worst one to win.
If it's that Vs a Blades promotion, I'd probably go for the World Cup.
The memories and the feel good factor it would bring to the country would outweigh a promotion that I've seen a few times before.

If you're talking about the Blades winning a proper domestic Cup, or something in Europe, different story.
You do realise that the Blades winning the Championship would be the biggest thing that United have won so far in probably 95% of our fans life time.

Don't really care about international football, I will watch England in the World Cup and want them too do well but its United everytime for me.

Back
Top Bottom