Your current favourite United player

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Scougall- from box to box all match, does some of the dirty work defending and has the extra creativity and attack mentality we need going forward.
Baxter- probably the most talented player in the attacking half of the team, links up the play better than any of our forwards, only if he had a bit extra pace that lad would be an insane player.
Davies- getting on in his career but might have saved his best years for us, might have lost abit of creativity and pace but his willingness to get up and down the flank and still defend outshines our other wingers, his set pieces at most times are quality just a shame he wasn't on for the freekick that higdon put in the wall from a perfect position.
Could this be our season, I think it is :) an even if it isn't once a blade always a blade.

Although Weir nearly relegated us I do have to thank him for bringing Baxter to us. Murphy is exciting and I can see Saturday's goal giving him a massive confidence boost (we all know he's a confidence player).

Not seen Wallace apart from cameo appearances is he better than Coady? Or is he a different type of player?

I like Coogan. Gervais is not my cup of tea. Both are pygmies compared to the three greatest of all time as named. I think you'd say the same if you had been around in their heyday.

Greatest comedian of all time was Bill Hicks. Nobody else has come close.

I have watched the highlights already and he looked very good but 3 minute highlights isn't the same as watching him live for 90 minutes.

From what I have seen of Wallace, he has a lot more potential than Coady. I liked Coady but Wallace looks like he has that extra edge, some of his passes were razor sharp at the weekend, just needs the players around him to anticipate and react.

Wallace will be suited to having Baxter playing ahead of him, gives him a focal point to play off and allow him to get further forward too.

I have watched the highlights already and he looked very good but 3 minute highlights isn't the same as watching him live for 90 minutes.
I think you can glean from that 3 minutes exactly what you need to know right now about him. A great striker and powerful header of the ball, confident strong and accomplished when running at players, a great eye for a pass, perfectly weighted through-balls, tenacious and strong tackling, intelligent and quick intricate passing, holds players off, picks up good positions. It's all there, chief.

Watch specifically for him...

Greatest comedian of all time was Bill Hicks. Nobody else has come close.

I've seen him. I would walk past his gig without a second thought to see Tommy Cooper or Frankie Howerd. There are better American comics too, not least the legendary Groucho and the manic genius that we have just lost, Robin Williams [forget Mork and fucking Mindy - check out his live stand-up]. Shocking and swearing is not, of itself, funny.

I've seen him. I would walk past his gig without a second thought to see Tommy Cooper or Frankie Howerd. There are better American comics too, not least the legendary Groucho and the manic genius that we have just lost, Robin Williams [forget Mork and fucking Mindy - check out his live stand-up]. Shocking and swearing is not, of itself, funny.

I liked Bill Hicks, but there were better around. Liked Emo Phillips myself and as for English stand-up, Bobby Thompson was a hero of mine! Never ventured out of the North-East much though.

I liked Bill Hicks, but there were better around. Liked Emo Phillips myself and as for English stand-up, Bobby Thompson was a hero of mine! Never ventured out of the North-East much though.

Yes so did I, but he wasn't top class. He swore, he shocked, he died. He became something of a cult. It's 'cooler' to be a fan of Bill Hicks than Frankie Howerd, but that doesn't make him funnier, he wasn't.

Andy Kaufman was shite, before anyone starts.

Yes so did I, but he wasn't top class. He swore, he shocked, he died. He became something of a cult. It's 'cooler' to be a fan of Bill Hicks than Frankie Howerd, but that doesn't make him funnier, he wasn't.

Andy Kaufman was shite, before anyone starts.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Francis, ooo, err, here stop it, yesss, shut yer face!

Pinchy, SouthEssexBlade , I definitely think that whether you enjoy someone like Francis is a generational thing.

I remember the Marx Brothers with great affection, and dear old Harpo, well, there'll definitely never be another.......comics are creations of their time, and once that page has turned it's almost impossible to recreate the same mindset. Anyone brought up on wireless and 'Round The Horne' with it's mix of uniquely British characters - need I mention Julian and Sandy and the way they skated close to the edge of moral acceptability with polari?

I just happen to like anyone who tickles my funny-bone, be it ancient (Max Miller) or contemporary. Somehow, I think the age on your birth certificate will influence what humour appeals to you.

Pinchy, SouthEssexBlade , I definitely think that whether you enjoy someone like Francis is a generational thing.

I remember the Marx Brothers with great affection, and dear old Harpo, well, there'll definitely never be another.......comics are creations of their time, and once that page has turned it's almost impossible to recreate the same mindset. Anyone brought up on wireless and 'Round The Horne' with it's mix of uniquely British characters - need I mention Julian and Sandy and the way they skated close to the edge of moral acceptability with polari?

I just happen to like anyone who tickles my funny-bone, be it ancient (Max Miller) or contemporary. Somehow, I think the age on your birth certificate will influence what humour appeals to you.

Maybe, but maybe not. My son (mid 20s) is the biggest fan of the Marx Brothers you're likely to meet. He also has everything Laurel and Hardy did on DVD and the Keystone Cops. He loves Les Dawson, Tony Hancock and Norman Wisdom. His favourite film star of all time is Will Hay and favourite film is Ask a Policeman.

He does like the modern stuff as well, but to say his comedy taste is eclectic is an understatement.

O, and he could probably recite the entire script to Up Pompeii :D

Maybe, but maybe not. My son (mid 20s) is the biggest fan of the Marx Brothers you're likely to meet. He also has everything Laurel and Hardy did on DVD and the Keystone Cops. He loves Les Dawson, Tony Hancock and Norman Wisdom. His favourite film star of all time is Will Hay and favourite film is Ask a Policeman.

He does like the modern stuff as well, but to say his comedy taste is eclectic is an understatement.

O, and he could probably recite the entire script to Up Pompeii :D

He's either, unintentionally I should add, influenced by his parent's tastes in comedy, or he's a freak of nature ;)

Funny you should mention Will Hay SEB, I used to love Hay's sometimes sidekick, Moore Marriott......who da fuck I can hear posters say?

He's either, unintentionally I should add, influenced by his parent's tastes in comedy, or he's a freak of nature ;)

Funny you should mention Will Hay SEB, I used to love Hay's sometimes sidekick, Moore Marriott......who da fuck I can hear posters say?

You might be onto something with the parental influence ;)

Moore Marriott, you may not believe, was a bit of a looker in his day. Graham Moffatt as Albert was always a hoot

You might be onto something with the parental influence ;)

Moore Marriott, you may not believe, was a bit of a looker in his day. Graham Moffatt as Albert was always a hoot

I'd never have guessed, my recollections of MM was as a hunched old geezer, as for GM, the three of 'em (Hay included) made for a great comic team.
Different world then, yer can't even get powdered egg these days!

There are some fans that are good at sticking up for the targeted players. Well done for that
Although Weir nearly relegated us I do have to thank him for bringing Baxter to us. Murphy is exciting and I can see Saturday's goal giving him a massive confidence boost (we all know he's a confidence player).

Not seen Wallace apart from cameo appearances is he better than Coady? Or is he a different type of player?

Wallace is a more creative playmaker whereas Coady (with us) was a box to box midfielder with great stamina and the ability to get on the end of things. Judging by Wallace's peformance on Saturday I'd say his potential is higher than Coady's, but it's too early to be sure. We should try have plenty of movement and pace in front of him, because he really can pick a pass. A line up like....

Howard
Alcock McGahey Collins McEveley
Wallace Doyle
Davies - - - - Baxter - - - - - Murphy
Higdon​

... may look ok on paper, but lacks pace and off the ball movement and wouldn't make ideal use of Wallace's through balls, as maybe only Murphy would be running in behind defences. (Even Murphy prefers running at defenders)

The way Wallace tackles is also good and I liked that he also looked alright in the air (had a couple of headed efforts on Saturday) .

From what I've seen in earlier matches he needs to improve his defensive work and stamina. Fans may notice a perfectly executed, tough tackle, but the management will also notice if he's sloppy and goes missing defensively ten seconds later. I think he looked fit vs Gillingham though.

There are some fans that are good at sticking up for the targeted players. Well done for that

Wallace is a more creative playmaker whereas Coady (with us) was a box to box midfielder with great stamina and the ability to get on the end of things. Judging by Wallace's peformance on Saturday I'd say his potential is higher than Coady's, but it's too early to be sure. We should try have plenty of movement and pace in front of him, because he really can pick a pass. A line up like....

Howard
Alcock McGahey Collins McEveley
Wallace Doyle
Davies - - - - Baxter - - - - - Murphy
Higdon​

... may look ok on paper, but lacks pace and off the ball movement and wouldn't make ideal use of Wallace's through balls, as maybe only Murphy would be running in behind defences. (Even Murphy prefers running at defenders)

The way Wallace tackles is also good and I liked that he also looked alright in the air (had a couple of headed efforts on Saturday) .

From what I've seen in earlier matches he needs to improve his defensive work and stamina. Fans may notice a perfectly executed, tough tackle, but the management will also notice if he's sloppy and goes missing defensively ten seconds later. I think he looked fit vs Gillingham though.

I reckon McNulty and Scougall are a must to play ahead of Wallace. Not sure about Baxter and Wallace in the same midfield, but at least Clough has options now. Competition is pretty fierce in that area.

I reckon McNulty and Scougall are a must to play ahead of Wallace. Not sure about Baxter and Wallace in the same midfield, but at least Clough has options now. Competition is pretty fierce in that area.

I would really like to see the return of JCR as well, although Ben Davies' biggest fans may be disappointed if that happens.

Baxter does it for me. His eye for a pass and his reading of a game to get himself into good scoring positions just swings it.
However, I must admit on his day Murphy is as exciting to watch as anybody I have seen in a blades shirt. He has that special
ability to beat his man and get a good quality ball in time after time. It doesn't matter if the defender comes tight or lays off either.
He's no slouch as well and is quicker than most people give him credit for.

I must add that these players are allowed to shine because of players like Doyle who stick to their roles with the discipline
that their jobs in the team require them to do.

Higdon but only because we have sponsored his shirt. ;) Joking apart I do think he will come good and get some important goals for us just like the one Saturday that got us level and gave us the belief we could go on and win it.

Had we not sponsored higdon I would have said Ben Davies : )

It's not long ago that you'd have struggled to pick out one special player (even just one with a bit of pace!) but we've got the pick of at least 5 now. Scougall, Murphy, Baxter, Wallace, JCR... Flynn on his day, Davies stands out for certain attributes, even Doyle can turn in a special performance.

In terms of individual squad members, how do others think this squad compares to 2011/12?

2011/12: (all players with more than 5 apps)
  • Harry Maguire
  • Neill Collins
  • Matthew Lowton
  • Steve Simonsen
  • Stephen Quinn
  • Michael Doyle
  • Lee Williamson
  • Richard Cresswell
  • Ched Evans
  • Kevin McDonald
  • Jean-Francois Lescinel
  • Chris Porter
  • Ryan Flynn
  • Nick Montgomery
  • Marcus Williams
  • Matt Hill
  • Billy Clarke
  • Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
  • Matt Phillips
  • David McAllister

This season:
  • Mark Howard
  • Ben Davies
  • Harrison McGahey
  • Craig Alcock
  • Neill Collins
  • Michael Doyle
  • Jamie Murphy
  • Chris Basham
  • Jay McEveley
  • Jose Baxter
  • Bob Harris
  • Michael Higdon
  • Marc McNulty
  • Ryan Flynn
  • Stefan Scougall
  • Jamal Campbell-Ryce
  • Louis Reed
  • James Wallace
  • Stephen McGinn
  • Andy Butler
  • Chris Porter

Baxter is probably our most gifted player. He can pick a pass, make a deft touch or hit a piledriver.

I like Scougall when he's on-form. He is scary to watch when he gets his head down and wriggles his way through.

My current favourite would have to be Scougall i think although he is too inconsistent. His fitness needs improvement and he's injury prone.

Back
Top Bottom