Yusuf Giansiracusa - "Chairman"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You know that is the argument of a loser to go do you know that for fact. None of us are employed within the club and I am basing my opinions on what has been reported through the media and the club And from the sequence of events as they happened.

1. That is the role of a CEO. He is the one running the operations on site and has the team to provide the information for the plan. Plus we knew were were almost certain to be relegated last Christmas.....so how if you know that do you have announcement 11 months later to say we just completed our strategy.

2. That is what has been reported from multiple sources up to a week or so before Slav was appointed.
3.Is factual....he did not start until July as he was still under contract.
4. You are changing the topic....i mentioned we over paid for players and significantly so.

5. The transfer team narrow down the target list it is the CEO that works on the transfer negotiations and then gets final approval from the owner.
6. He is the CEO of the club and its his job to get the transfer targets over the line.
7.I have no problem with limiting Wilders role but it should be the same with Hecky....but that does not seem to be the case.

The CEO is the conduit from the club to the owner and the board. The owner and the board maybe foolish and misguided...and interfere..but if you move the blame for 130M to Wilder the other points still stand... He didn't put a strategy in place and we and the transfer window was left to the last minute. While other loanee players were being picked up by championship clubs, some of which were in areas that Slav wanted to strengthen.

So if you claim that it is others doing this work then why is he CEO.

So you don’t know then. Here’s another losers comment , neither do you know his actual remit at the club and where his responsibilities end. Both factual comments which you try to negate by blathering on about the role of a CEO. If you believe every CEO position is exactly the same then it’s no good continuing ( l think this is where you claim a win ).

2. Multiple sources said what? Who were these people?
3. And?

4. No change of topic. I hadn’t shifted the blame to Wilder. There are various comments about who had the final say, prior to HRH giving the funds go ahead. You seem to say Bettis made that decision. Heard of Carl Shieber? No one is arguing about the strategy plan issue. Other than you that is. Again, where’s the argument about the signing timeline?

And to finish off you then attribute a claim to me saying l’ve said others ARE doing his work. Just not true. Now thats the post of a loser,

So you don’t know then. Here’s another losers comment , neither do you know his actual remit at the club and where his responsibilities end. Both factual comments which you try to negate by blathering on about the role of a CEO. If you believe every CEO position is exactly the same then it’s no good continuing ( l think this is where you claim a win ).

2. Multiple sources said what? Who were these people?
3. And?

4. No change of topic. I hadn’t shifted the blame to Wilder. There are various comments about who had the final say, prior to HRH giving the funds go ahead. You seem to say Bettis made that decision. Heard of Carl Shieber? No one is arguing about the strategy plan issue. Other than you that is. Again, where’s the argument about the signing timeline?

And to finish off you then attribute a claim to me saying l’ve said others ARE doing his work. Just not true. Now thats the post of a loser,

Your arrogance and ego are not worth replying to in future....so I will leave you to wallow in the success of your of your arguments in your own head.

Your arrogance and ego are not worth replying to in future....so I will leave you to wallow in the success of your of your arguments in your own head.

“A chief executive officer (CEO),[1] chief administrator officer, or just chief executive (CE), is one of a number of corporate executives in charge of managing an organization – especially an independent legal entity such as a company or nonprofit institution”

“The responsibilities of an organization's CEO are set by the organization's board of directors or other authority, depending on the organization's structure. They can be far-reaching or quite limited and are typically enshrined in a formal delegation of authority regarding business administration.”

“Ultimately the Prince is the person giving final approval”

You carry on claiming your definition of a CEO is the only one, despite you admitting the Prince has the final say.

“A chief executive officer (CEO),[1] chief administrator officer, or just chief executive (CE), is one of a number of corporate executives in charge of managing an organization – especially an independent legal entity such as a company or nonprofit institution”

“The responsibilities of an organization's CEO are set by the organization's board of directors or other authority, depending on the organization's structure. They can be far-reaching or quite limited and are typically enshrined in a formal delegation of authority regarding business administration.”

“Ultimately the Prince is the person giving final approval”

You carry on claiming your definition of a CEO is the only one, despite you admitting the Prince has the final say.
Well done you....you were able to get on the Internet and find a definition of a CEO......
I never defined a CEO I mentioned some of his responsibilities in a football club. Does the Prince negotiate all the transfer fees, wages etc? I would very much doubt it....but as I have admitted he does give approval on what's being done before the hammer falls.

You seem to want to discard the totality of anyone else's point based on the slightest piece that you can attack. So well done you. You have won the argument. I am bowing out of the conversation and yield to your mighty intellect and powers of persuasion.

Well done you....you were able to get on the Internet and find a definition of a CEO......
I never defined a CEO I mentioned some of his responsibilities in a football club. Does the Prince negotiate all the transfer fees, wages etc? I would very much doubt it....but as I have admitted he does give approval on what's being done before the hammer falls.

You seem to want to discard the totality of anyone else's point based on the slightest piece that you can attack. So well done you. You have won the argument. I am bowing out of the conversation and yield to your mighty intellect and powers of persuasion.

Good.

(But you actually stated what Bettis had to do within his role as CEO)

Why wouldn’t he listen ?
The club being successful is what he and the Prince want, so leaving that success to people who know what they are doing, rather than interfering is the best way forward.
were they interfering when Wilder begged to spend big money on Brewster , McKnob & Moussfat ?

Have to agree. Yusuf Gottis comment wasn’t to the fans, it was to an individual.

Similarly with the “spent £430m” . Yes it’s a claim, pretty genuine l’d say but he’s ignored other income streams and the fact that we’ve borrowed a substantial sum. However, it’s exactly the guff we’ve been given for years by various owners. (Same with other clubs) so why get particularly worked up about it? Of course those with a jaundiced view will be all over it alongside those who really don’t understand the basics of finance.

Yes it’s not totally open, but how anyone can be surprised when it’s been on for years.

As for Bettis, what is it exactly his detractors believe he isn’t doing? * Preferably answers from those with experience of running a multi million pound business (rather than those who googled CEO.)

*making a bollocks of it” (which may of course be true) isn’t an answer. What are the specific problems that result in him being referred to as a weasel on here, and his sexuality being questioned over on Vital?
Exerting no control whatsoever on Wilder's profligate spending on the transfer fees & wages of shit acquisitions of McKnob , Moussfat , Brewster , Burke , etc etc
Failing to prevent Wilder from "rewarding" past performance with long lucrative contracts , leading to us being saddled with players who are never going to earn more than they are getting now , so will never leave.
Instead of just giving them a nice bonus for their past achievements (which they got anyway).
Leading to the crap squad we now have after 2 years of PL income.
Not having a single tangible thing to show for 2 years of eye-watering PL income.
Not even a proper long-term plan , leading to the failed appointment of Slav.
Not even better training facilities , which have been identified as a priority for at least 4 years now.
Being in such a parlous £ position that we HAD to sell Rammers & WANTED to sell Berge.
Being in such a parlous £ position that we could not freshen the squad with anything but loans.
Not making any progress with the acquisition of a site for a new training complex / Cat 1 Academy.
The man talks a good game but actually delivers fuck all.
When I looked into his eyes at that clusterfuck of a press conference , all I could see was weasel.

My God , when Yusuf was asked "WTF has or can United World do for the Blades ?" , he couldn't answer it , so passed the question to Bettis.
If I'd been Bettis (CEO of the Blades , not UW) and had any bollocks at all , I would have put that straight back to Yusuf and said
"Nowt to do wi me pal - I'm here for SUFC , not some daft pan-European crap that's delivered fuck all"
(said with a buit more subtlety).
He's a feckin weasel who tells me he runs cashflows for every scenario including L1 .......
but he utterly failed to run the likely scenario of relegation from the PL before he let Wilder spunk all the cash.
A scenario that was not just likely , but nailed on from September 2020.
So why not ?
And why no PLAN ? Until November 2021 ?

And he's the CEO ? Fuck me , my Grandma could have done better with her teapot on the mantlepiece.

Forest Gump could out flanc Chancer McCabe 😊
Maybe , but Kev's still got 2 irritating parcels of land at the back of the Kop.

And he got £50m for a bundle of assets that are worth nowhere near that sum now we've been relegated.

So he ain't that stupid.

This highly educated successful world traveller and business gurustarts his reply with “the post of a loser”, not sure if it’s Doogie Howser or Young Sheldon but he could well take the title.
play the post and play nicely boys !

play the post and play nicely boys !

Thanks for the advice. Here’s some for you. Calm down a bit and your legitimate concerns may not get lost in the insults. Again, if you think Bettis made all the decisions without the Princes approval, why hasn’t he been sacked like the bloke who let Clough empty the bank?

Academy. There is no money to spend on it. Clearly you think that it’s all the fault of Bettis and no one else. The reality that trying to stay in the PL was looked on as more important. It’s nothing more than stick to beat the owner with. As l said, had we spent on that rather than players and got relegated, l’d say it’s highly likely that you’d be playing that tune. I’m pretty sure l and a lot of other people would.

I’m not too bothered about him not being a football man. As others have said, it’s not overly relevant for his role as Chairman.

However, I do have an issue with the utter contempt and seeming lack of awareness that he demonstrated. These are not good leadership qualities for someone whose role it is, to hold those to account who are employed to deliver the strategy of the club.

This 100% for me.

Lack of football knowledge isn’t a biggy when running a business (which is all we are to an investor).

It’s the delivery that needs work. We’re looking to this conference for some hope in a miserable time, it would be much better and far less analysed if he’d said:

“I’m not a football expert but I have people around me to focus on that side of the business, while I look at the short and long term strategy and ensure the club is run smoothly and efficiently.”

Major concern I have is the fact I saw him walking at bottom of London road Friday morning with same cloths on

were they interfering when Wilder begged to spend big money on Brewster , McKnob & Moussfat ?
No they left it to the man they had trusted to run the football side. As with many things hindsight suggests mistakes were made.

No they left it to the man they had trusted to run the football side. As with many things hindsight suggests mistakes were made.
Basically the owners are flipflopping between hands-off & hands-on , making talk of longterm plans quite otiose

Thanks for the advice. Here’s some for you. Calm down a bit and your legitimate concerns may not get lost in the insults. Again, if you think Bettis made all the decisions without the Princes approval, why hasn’t he been sacked like the bloke who let Clough empty the bank?

Academy. There is no money to spend on it. Clearly you think that it’s all the fault of Bettis and no one else. The reality that trying to stay in the PL was looked on as more important. It’s nothing more than stick to beat the owner with. As l said, had we spent on that rather than players and got relegated, l’d say it’s highly likely that you’d be playing that tune. I’m pretty sure l and a lot of other people would.
I'm glad you recognise my concerns are legitimate and I'll accept that my exasperation with the club sometime gets the better of me.
There won't be many more opportunities in my lifetime for the club to make true progress and the present regime has thrown the recent one down the drain.
Stepping back from his club makes the Prince look disinterested - I hope he finds a good buyer or we may yet end up the victim of a business which will not carry an unprofitable activity

All very depressing isn’t it?
The performance of the `chairman the other day was breathtakingly contemptible and dismissive of their own fan/customer base.But that’s not his priority, and he’s made that crystal clear.
These guys,got into this to make money out of `Sheffield United, not the love of chip butties and the weather in Sheffield. So we shouldn’t be surprised when they make that their priority.
They’ve pulled the plug on their previous strategy of hoping Slav could get them back to the Prem, with little spend, to get/keep their hands on the Sky money.When they realised they had to spend more money probably a lot of it, with no guarantees to get there, they panicked and pulled the trigger, on Slav.
Now we have plan b, which appears to be by their own arrogant admission, to make results and promotion, not that important to them.So long as `Hecky can deliver a throughput of players from the under 23’s who we can then sell as a profit for them, everything will be fine, and Hecky will keep his job, irrespective of how the team is doing.You never know, Hecky might even do a Wilder and get em up.Bonus, but not the priority now.
Meanwhile, those of us that turn up and watch every week, have been downgraded as less of a priority.The priority now, is to see the club as a vehicle for developing a gem or 2 each season so that they can sell them to their main clients,i.e.other football clubs, who want to buy them, and of course their beloved United World.They make no attempt to hide this and have put it in plain sight for us all to see.
I don’t like what they are doing to my football club, and have never been fooled by them.And if I want to complain, `f*** you, or rather,see Hecky, because they won’t be anywhere near `Bramall Lane.They can’t even be bothered to turn up at the ground anymore, not that the `Prince ever did, except occasionally.
Wise up everyone, this is the future, unless of course,they get a better offer.

I have a first class masters degree in business and have worked for some of the largest multinationals in the world.....Will I do???

1. The CEO did not put a strategy in place after Wilder left. And is now claiming that Slav isn't suitable for the strategy that was agreed. So why was Slav hired in the first place.

2. The favourite for the managers job Blessin was not eligible to work in Britain.

3. Slav was appointed late enough comsidering the 9 games or so Hecky was in charge of. But then was left to work the remainder of his contract in Qatar so July was his start date. Why wasn't compensation agreed with his former club to get him in on time.

4. He has just bullshitted at the conference in relation to progress on the training ground. He is having talks with the council. If you know anything about planning permission etc. This means we have done fuck all for the last few years regarding the training ground and don't expect any work in the next 2 years if it is done at all under this board.

5. The CEO is the person who sanctions the transfer fees and the transfers into the club. Ultimately the Prince is the person giving final approval but the business case and details are agreed and worked out by the CEO. We have been out negotiated on McBurnie, Mousset, Berge, Brewster. We have paid well over the appropriate fees for these players.

6. We had months since Wilder left to work on transfers but ended up at last minute.com to get bodies in the door. Plus we did not strengthen in areas that the manager specifically asked to recruit for. Geudiora was only signed because he was available to fill out the squad. We also signed a goal keeper on loan who apparently was holding out for a bigger club

7. The current strategy that has been outlined appears to be BS. They wanted to limit Wilders influence and rumours abounded that they wanted a DoF model. Now apparently we are getting what Wilder was and wanted to keep.

The CEO works on the performance of the club as a whole and drives the creation of the strategy which gets rubber stamped by the board. It looks like he is making it up as he goes along.
I agree with you here. I’ve worked in commercial roles for 15 years, the Chairman is an arbitrary position in relation to the CEO. The board and chairman can flesh out a world class strategy until the cows come home, the CEO is the one that has to execute it. Bettis is absolutely the weak link in this.

I agree with you here. I’ve worked in commercial roles for 15 years, the Chairman is an arbitrary position in relation to the CEO. The board and chairman can flesh out a world class strategy until the cows come home, the CEO is the one that has to execute it. Bettis is absolutely the weak link in this.
Yep. For all the copy and pasted different definitions of what a CEO does and doesn't do, he (should be) ultimately accountable to the board. If he's not responsible for the execution of the club's strategy then I'm not sure what he's doing.

Yep. For all the copy and pasted different definitions of what a CEO does and doesn't do, he (should be) ultimately accountable to the board. If he's not responsible for the execution of the club's strategy then I'm not sure what he's doing.
He likely has a number of objectives but executing the overall strategy surely has to be A1.

Yusuf Giansiracusa if your gona match tomorrow can I recommend this .......................................​

1638046925001.png

Maybe , but Kev's still got 2 irritating parcels of land at the back of the Kop.

And he got £50m for a bundle of assets that are worth nowhere near that sum now we've been relegated.

So he ain't that stupid.
Weren't the assets valued independently as properties on parcels of land?
I doubt whether league position had anything to do with it.

Whatever the strategy and whatever the reasons, (some political perhaps), he has conveniently sloped shoulders, and handed over responsibility to the CEO and the football manager.

He can now, effectively distance himself, the Prince, and the board and disappear into the back ground again. It’s obvious from his presser that he prefers the anonymity afforded by that space!

Weren't the assets valued independently as properties on parcels of land?
I doubt whether league position had anything to do with it.
What's your concept of value ?
Most valuers start with the intersection of what a willing seller will accept & what a willing buyer will pay.
If you're selling a ground to a £150mpa PL club , I reckon it's different from selling to a £10mpa EFL club , unless the value was based on the ground being demolished in favour of student flats , in which case the yield would be the same.
And unfortunately , its value as a site for student flats is getting more relevant as the Prince looks at his projected yields from football after parachute payments.

I’m not sure who’d qualify as a ’well known solicitor’ in the Middle East, but he appears to work at Jones Day. 13th most profitable law firm in the world, with profits per equity partner at about $1.3 million a year. They act for Trump, so I certainly wouldn’t instruct them, and he may not know anything about football, but it’s a bit unfair to portray him as a hack. He’s obviously a good lawyer.

[Goes back to lurking, having defended his profession]

It was poor grammar on my part. I didn't mean he was an unknown solicitor. Rather, he's an unknown figure to us and the solicitor part being in reference to his lack of qualification to hold the role he's suddenly found himself in.
But fair play for correcting me.

Now get your shoes off and come join me in the car park.

I'm glad you recognise my concerns are legitimate and I'll accept that my exasperation with the club sometime gets the better of me.
There won't be many more opportunities in my lifetime for the club to make true progress and the present regime has thrown the recent one down the drain.
Stepping back from his club makes the Prince look disinterested - I hope he finds a good buyer or we may yet end up the victim of a business which will not carry an unprofitable activity
Maybe the buyer came and found him and made an offer he could not refuse, it would explain why he did a runner and the, erm, new chairman, hope its not the --- that just bought Newcastle.

Some thoughtful posts on here. Got a little bit snipey in places but I'm sure nobody will need a fitness test for the next day of posting!

For me, I just don't find Bettis cuts a very impressive figure on what I have seen.

For a start, he doesn't answer legitimate questions, which should have been telegraphed well in advance, with any level of assurance. He has the look, when interviewed, of someone whose wife has found lipstick on his collar and he's scrambling to find a convincing alibi.

If I were him, sitting in a live forum, I'd have expected enough prep work to have been done beforehand that 'only just having a plan now but not in the summer' wouldn't have seen the light of day. Because as CEO, that would make me look incredibly incompetent. And having Yusuf saying we didn't have the facts we do now without expanding just makes you look even more dumb. Why didn't you? What's this trade secret to appointing a manager that 91 other league clubs are aware of but has only just been unearthed by us?

Also the strategy since promotion has been poor and he would be one of those key figures involved in that.

Sean, a poster that I enjoy reading, I don't fully concur with you that fans would have been up in arms about facilities being given priority.

To me, if the training ground is such an issue and developing players is so important, then the CEO should have been saying from the outset "well done on promotion, were going to get a helluva lot of money from this. Let's make this count and take care of the longevity of the club, especially with Wilder as a Blade being manager. We'll back the manager as much as reasonable but two key points get addressed first - 1. We upgrade the training ground to a suitable level for years to come. 2. We make sure we attain Academy A status so our efforts with the youth aren't undermined."

The fact that we achieved neither after getting not one, but two years up there is very damning on the priorities of the management team, including the CEO.

Having a few calls with the council on something that should have been prioritized two years previously just looked like lip service. It's like when I see emails that say in the midst of tackling your query and know internally that means we've not struck a blow but externally looks like it's on the cusp of being resolved.

I'm not impressed with his efforts, or lack of, to communicate with the fans. When has he ever spoken voluntarily to keep warm the fan base? I remember hearing from him in that horror show presser after Wilder left when he looked like a nervous wreck who didn't want to be there. He was there I assume with Slav and he was there this week and that's about your lot.

The progress of the training ground should be a regular update. Perhaps less frequent the Academy. But you hear nothing from him. Maybe that changes and he was under instruction but I don't see how you can be CEO without part of your mandate being to update your customer base on a regular basis. He seems to either make no effort or have no level of comfort at fan engagement.

Finally, what a wasted opportunity when Wilder left. We had from January until August to plan for the new season. Most teams get from June to August at best.

I don't see why, having accepted the realism of the situation in January by not kowtowing to some of Wilder's further demands, they didn't then embrace what was coming.

We should have been using the January window to offload some of the higher earners while they were still PL players yet this didn't seem to be on the agenda at all. Why wait until the summer? Why not use two windows instead of one? We should have been boosting recruitment for the following year too. The likes of Ben Pearson who was available on a free in the summer, maybe paying a little to secure in Jan and give him 6 months to bed in. Pushing Lundstram out on a cut price deal etc. There just seemed to be no proactivity at all.

It's just incredible to find your thinking behind when you have so much time to prepare and I don't see how he would have no input on that. So either he's got a watered down CEO role and isn't heavily involved in some of the planning that maybe we would expect, he's involved but unable to influence effectively or he's not a particularly good strategic thinker. None of which sheds him in a good light as the defacto no 1 of Sheffield United going forwards.

Back
Top Bottom