Worst 2 Centre Backs in a long time !

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just out of curiosity, where do you reckon these 2 big ard barstard of a CBacks you so crave fit in to Slavs play out from the back to the CBs dictate ?

UTB

Some have literally lost their mind.

Egan was signed for about 4 million from a team in this league and had the best stats of any centre half at this level.

I may be wrong but i certainly don't remember him racking up those stats playing the centre of a 3 for Brentford. Not in the games I saw anyway.

Bizarrely, none of yesterday's back four can actually play in a back four. Major overall needed if Slav wants to keep this formation.
There is no way I’m having that any professional footballer can’t play in a back 4. They’ve more than likely grew up playing all there youth and career in a back 4 before coming to United.

I've defended the back 4 all season but the goal yesterday was ridiculously poor. You can play any tactics you want and that goal still happens because Egan totally switched off.

I thought Baldock and Stevens were atrocious too. Probably the worst I've ever seen Baldock

While I do think we lack that big, strong and aggressive Championship centre back, Egan and Davies are getting no protection from the midfield. Add to that Baldock, Steven and RND are not in any good form, which isnt helping.

No, they are not the worst 2 x centre backs in a long time - what we've got is not ideally suited to the style of football we are now playing under Slav. Some managers would strengthen this area by going to a three or by putting in a purely defensive deep lying midfield player, but Slav made it very clear early on in his tenure that he wanted to play with a 2 CB's and not 3 CB's and also that for now, Norwood is un-droppable. By un-droppable, SL tried resting Norwood v Millwall with Hourihane and what a disastrous experiment that was.

He seems uninterested in defending properly and relies more on forward play and wants to score more than the opposition. This shouldn't really be a surprise as Fulham fans told us all about how SJ plays which is to out score the opposition.

The issue on Saturday was scoring goals and quality in and around the 18 yard box - not getting caught out again by a well organised, decent Blackpool team who had a structure that they stuck to (and well done to them too). This is all we're seeing at the moment from the opposition, they are very effective with 35-40% possession they are having.

The possession we had on Saturday was sufficient to win 2 games of football.

For sure things aren't right at the moment - we simply lack the extra quality in and around the 18 yard box to finish some of the excellent football we are playing. That lack of quality is for me, being that CW's legacy players aren't good enough to pull off the type of football SJ wants. I think they are trying as hard as they can, commitment is there, desire is there and willingness to want to do better, but what has to be accepted is that certain players have reached the highest point of skill that they have and it's not good enough to win very tight championship games.

The pattern we are seeing has been the same all season - we dominate possession - get forward well, even get behind the opposition (like v Blackpool) but you simply can't legislate for the chance Ndiaye missed in the first half (he MUST hit the target) and when Osborn had oodles of space to run into their box and zero effort from midfield to get in the box and create an angle for Osborn to pull it back to. Osborn was looking for 2-3 seconds for someone to pass it to - there was only Moose in the box who was static, but also marked. Osborn had nothing else on. This speaks volumes about lack of quality to finish chances.

What's the solution? More quality, hopefully in the JTW and probably on loan.

SJ is a coach - he's trying to change the system with some players that aren't capable of reaching the heights needed - it's just where we are at after the previous debacle of the past 18 months before Slav.

And just for balance - CW has dumped us in it by leaving - he should have stayed and built Blades dynasty Mk2 - and can someone tell him he needs to get to the gym after the appearance on MOTD2 last night. Verbally on form as usual and to be fair he looked really chipper again (which is good), but he should still have stayed.

As for the 2 x CB's - Egan used to play BETWEEN 2 x 6' 4" defenders (Bash and JOC) and be a de-facto sweeper, he is now being asked to do something totally different - Davies is excellent at picking passes, just the way SJ wants. They aren't ideal, but this is what we've got - we NEED to put the ball in the net quicker in games and with better finishing. If some of our fans had taken time to read what Neil Critchley had said after the game - he knew his Blackpool team were fortunate to take all three points - it's just the way football is sometimes.

Anyway - looking forward to Forest tomorrow night (they looked good 2nd half v QPR!) going to Blackburn on Saturday. We gave Blackburn a real footballing lesson last time we played them at their place - lets hope we do Forest and Blackburn both and get ourselves back into the running.

UTB

No, they are not the worst 2 x centre backs in a long time - what we've got is not ideally suited to the style of football we are now playing under Slav. Some managers would strengthen this area by going to a three or by putting in a purely defensive deep lying midfield player, but Slav made it very clear early on in his tenure that he wanted to play with a 2 CB's and not 3 CB's and also that for now, Norwood is un-droppable. By un-droppable, SL tried resting Norwood v Millwall with Hourihane and what a disastrous experiment that was.

He seems uninterested in defending properly and relies more on forward play and wants to score more than the opposition. This shouldn't really be a surprise as Fulham fans told us all about how SJ plays which is to out score the opposition.

The issue on Saturday was scoring goals and quality in and around the 18 yard box - not getting caught out again by a well organised, decent Blackpool team who had a structure that they stuck to (and well done to them too). This is all we're seeing at the moment from the opposition, they are very effective with 35-40% possession they are having.

The possession we had on Saturday was sufficient to win 2 games of football.

For sure things aren't right at the moment - we simply lack the extra quality in and around the 18 yard box to finish some of the excellent football we are playing. That lack of quality is for me, being that CW's legacy players aren't good enough to pull off the type of football SJ wants. I think they are trying as hard as they can, commitment is there, desire is there and willingness to want to do better, but what has to be accepted is that certain players have reached the highest point of skill that they have and it's not good enough to win very tight championship games.

The pattern we are seeing has been the same all season - we dominate possession - get forward well, even get behind the opposition (like v Blackpool) but you simply can't legislate for the chance Ndiaye missed in the first half (he MUST hit the target) and when Osborn had oodles of space to run into their box and zero effort from midfield to get in the box and create an angle for Osborn to pull it back to. Osborn was looking for 2-3 seconds for someone to pass it to - there was only Moose in the box who was static, but also marked. Osborn had nothing else on. This speaks volumes about lack of quality to finish chances.

What's the solution? More quality, hopefully in the JTW and probably on loan.

SJ is a coach - he's trying to change the system with some players that aren't capable of reaching the heights needed - it's just where we are at after the previous debacle of the past 18 months before Slav.

And just for balance - CW has dumped us in it by leaving - he should have stayed and built Blades dynasty Mk2 - and can someone tell him he needs to get to the gym after the appearance on MOTD2 last night. Verbally on form as usual and to be fair he looked really chipper again (which is good), but he should still have stayed.

As for the 2 x CB's - Egan used to play BETWEEN 2 x 6' 4" defenders (Bash and JOC) and be a de-facto sweeper, he is now being asked to do something totally different - Davies is excellent at picking passes, just the way SJ wants. They aren't ideal, but this is what we've got - we NEED to put the ball in the net quicker in games and with better finishing. If some of our fans had taken time to read what Neil Critchley had said after the game - he knew his Blackpool team were fortunate to take all three points - it's just the way football is sometimes.

Anyway - looking forward to Forest tomorrow night (they looked good 2nd half v QPR!) going to Blackburn on Saturday. We gave Blackburn a real footballing lesson last time we played them at their place - lets hope we do Forest and Blackburn both and get ourselves back into the running.

UTB

Top post.
At last some sense talked.

Worst 2 Centre Backs in a long time 🤣

Jay Mceveley & Neill Collins literally played for us in 2015 & in 2010 we had Nosworthy & Ertl
Time is a healer ! I had erased that little quartet ! Plus 6 years is a long time for some people ! Anyway headline changed. Worst 2 since Collins and Jay . Will that do?

I disagree, our midfield simply don’t offer the defence any sort of protection whatsoever. Our first line of defence should be at the least 30 yards further up the pitch. Today Norwood spent most of his time stood between Egan and Davis.
Its all about opinions,
None are right or wrong,

...but this opinion is the RIGHT one! 👍

Absolutely sick of seeing egan completely at fault or out of position for a goal and throwing his hands up at the other players. Seen it nearly every game for 18 months straight. Needs taking out of the team imo
Same again if you watch him throughout their goal tonight. Got to say bash got caught ball watching too but just shocking defending and the usual throwing his hands up at everyone else. No leadership qualities whatsoever

We’ve needed to replace Egan since the middle of the first Premier League season. Wilder was so obsessed with finding a striker, he was blind to our other weaknesses down the spine.

I was hopeful he might be better in a lower division, but he’s got worse. He’d be nice in a two at the side of a Morgan type of player, but we’re missing that big dirty bastard to command games.
To be fair all last season he begged for a Left sided Centre half.
The season previous we finished 9th with an unbelievable defence.

Just out of curiosity, where do you reckon these 2 big ard barstard of a CBacks you so crave fit in to Slavs play out from the back to the CBs dictate ?

UTB
I said the same. Want 6ft 4 monsters at the back that play total football. It’s one or the other.

To be fair all last season he begged for a Left sided Centre half.
The season previous we finished 9th with an unbelievable defence.

Yeah, but:

Also - and I know nobody agrees with me on this - but much as I love Egan, I can see Wilder replacing him within the next 12 months if we’re still a top half team. He’s solid, and both his and the team’s stats speak for themselves, but he rarely looks comfortable on the ball, and yesterday highlighted one of his weaknesses for me- panic when teams run at him. Very good defender, but Wilder has previous in upgrading this position before anyone else sees it as necessary, and I can see him doing it again.

But who cares about any of that? We’ve never had it so good. Love everything about United at the minute; we are barely recognisable from the shambolic club I’ve grown up with.

He was part of a great defensive unit, but the holes in his game were always there, just well-protected. Unfortunately he’s not helped by four competent teammates anymore.

If we can get 4 mill plus for Egan in January i would definitely take it.

He might be ok in the prem or for Ireland but don't think he's whats needed to get out of a roll the sleeves up championship.

I said the same. Want 6ft 4 monsters at the back that play total football. It’s one or the other.

Got to say Harry Souttar and Cooper looked more than capable of distributing the ball, Soutyar is 6 foot 6. Jack O'Connell and Harry Maguire were also two of the strongest and most dominant centre backs to play for us and two of the best distributors too.
It's not easy to find those players, but being big doesn't make you incapable of playing football.

Well if it's a simple choice between the two (and I'm not so sure that it is tbh) then you can put me in the camp of those who want their teams defenders to be able to be competent at defending first and foremost. I want our centre halves to head and kick clear, clear the lines, have the will to keep the ball out of our net at all costs, and show leadership. Basically everything that our current centre halves / defence aren't currently doing and what they haven't been able to demonstrate for nigh on 2 years now.

It's a nice to have in the locker trait for our centre halves to be lovely ball playing players but they should be concentrating on the most important aspects of their jobs first and that is being defenders. Ultimately the back four are in the team to defend our net and they aren't doing a great job of that right now.

So if it's a straight choice between having 2 x competent CHs who can defend well, and 2 ball playing centre halves who can't, then I'm all for the former. I'd let the midfield and the numerous forwards that we have do the footballing stuff.

If we can get 4 mill plus for Egan in January i would definitely take it.

He might be ok in the prem or for Ireland but don't think he's whats needed to get out of a roll the sleeves up championship.
He might be OK in the Premier League and for his country so let’s sell him for £4m?

Back
Top Bottom