Worst 2 Centre Backs in a long time !

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Absolutely sick of seeing egan completely at fault or out of position for a goal and throwing his hands up at the other players. Seen it nearly every game for 18 months straight. Needs taking out of the team imo
Agree. I used to think it was because he was desperately trying to cover for others, but sadly I don't think that's the case.

I disagree, our midfield simply don’t offer the defence any sort of protection whatsoever. Our first line of defence should be at the least 30 yards further up the pitch. Today Norwood spent most of his time stood between Egan and Davis.

Probably being the shortest, combined midfield 3 in the Championship doesn't help

Probably being the shortest, combined midfield 3 in the Championship doesn't help
That’s why I’m so bitterly disappointed in Conor Hourihanes limp performances. I was genuinely excited at this signing and really thought he was going to be that elusive “midfield general” this team so desperately needs....Sadly not.

I thought Davies had a good game today and there were a couple of times in the second half where he outmuscled Madine. Egan had some communication with him too. For one of Blackpool's corners Madine peeled back from Egan as the ball was about to be struck. He turned and told Davies to pick him up. He did just that and won the ball.

For me Fleck and Davies were of our best two players today,
Wow absolutely wow unbelievable Jeff

We have no leaders in the team. Egan looks appalling without Oconnell. I would genuinely play Bash instead of either centre backs
Please don’t think Jack O’Connell would be any better in this system and style of play. Our defence and midfield were much more fluid when O’Connell was last in the team. Much the same as Egan, I think big Jack would also be struggling shackled to a back four.

Egans been much worse than Davies this season.
Until we get someone with a physical presence next to either one of them, and 2 decent full backs nothing will change

We’ve needed to replace Egan since the middle of the first Premier League season. Wilder was so obsessed with finding a striker, he was blind to our other weaknesses down the spine.

I was hopeful he might be better in a lower division, but he’s got worse. He’d be nice in a two at the side of a Morgan type of player, but we’re missing that big dirty bastard to command games.

We’re missing a shithouse midfielder to offer some sort of protection for the defence.

Where is Guerdioa( or how ever you spell it)!
amount of money we’re pissing away on wages for players who don’t even make the bench is frightening.

Egans been much worse than Davies this season.
Until we get someone with a physical presence next to either one of them, and 2 decent full backs nothing will change
How about this for a random idea. Why not put Basham at the right hand side of Egan and keep Davis on the left side...I know it’s probably a nonsensical thing to do, but you never know...It might work?

So you’re saying we looking better at the beginning of the season playing 3-5-2, when we couldn’t even get to the opposition area?

The formations and lineups were all over the place at the start of the season. Remember us playing some sort of 4-2-4 at Swansea with Burke Brewster Sharp & Didsy up top basically leaving us with no midfield and vulnerable.

We didn’t have Olsen, Stevens, Davies & MGW and I think a 3-5-2 with these players at the moment would be the way to go to give us a more solid unit. We look like conceding against every team we play and I can’t see past bottom half finish with the way we are playing at the moment.

Quite. Madine did nothing of note all game. Neither did his striker partner. We absolutley battered them, their keeper had a blinder to go along with our poor finishing. The goal is a shocker and you can debate who's to blame for it all day long but I'm not sure how we conclude that our centre backs are shit from watching that game.
It’s every game not just yesterday. Totally agree we should have won the game but if you can’t win then don’t lose. Huddersfield, Millwall, Birmingham and now Blackpool. 4 of the worst sides in the league. We got smashed at WBA physically and the 2 goals at Barnsley last week were also horrendous. It’s not 1 game is it?

Please don’t think Jack O’Connell would be any better in this system and style of play. Our defence and midfield were much more fluid when O’Connell was last in the team. Much the same as Egan, I think big Jack would also be struggling shackled to a back four.

I agree that he wouldn't look the same as he was galloping forward etc. but he would be a lot better aerially than the current pair, and would stand up better to stronger players.

Bizarrely, none of yesterday's back four can actually play in a back four. Major overall needed if Slav wants to keep this formation.

Before coming to us, Jack was first and foremost a defender. It’s only with us and the system that he came forward more.
I would argue that a big, strong, commanding full back who is also comfortable on the ball would cope easily.

Stevens , Baldock and Egan should be fucking embarrassed at their performances

Egan in particular looks like he is on easy street ,Stevens looks like he is mentally shot and Baldock is so shit going forward that I'd rather play anyone else but him

All three of them can easily plat at this level but the motivation to give more than they can get away with just isn't there
The more new players we bring in the worse they get

Need to be a bit more savvy in front of goal. We tended to hit the ball first time when what was needed was more awareness of surroundings, a little first touch to lose the defenders, then shoot.
Look at Anderson's goal yesterday, he lost Enda with a little cutback.

It’s every game not just yesterday. Totally agree we should have won the game but if you can’t win then don’t lose. Huddersfield, Millwall, Birmingham and now Blackpool. 4 of the worst sides in the league. We got smashed at WBA physically and the 2 goals at Barnsley last week were also horrendous. It’s not 1 game is it?

Totally agree with this. The season we were promoted we kept 21 clean sheets, pipping Leeds in the process. Bielsa adapted and they went on to keep 23 clean sheets the following season and were promoted.

Generally 20+ clean sheets are needed for promotion but we’ll be lucky to get into double figures at this rate. Slav has to be focused on sorting this in the January window but may need to adapt the system in the meantime, so that this season doesn’t pass us by.

Huddersfield 5th Blackpool 6th, Millwall 12th, Birmingham 14th, but facts don't suit your narrative

Huddersfield 5th Blackpool 6th, Millwall 12th, Birmingham 14th, but facts don't suit your narrative
The fact is we are weak at the back. Every game. My narrative is what I see every week. It’s sums up how bad the league is and how poor we are. 3rd worst goals conceded. Does that suit my narrative ?

Agreed that's all backwards. Indeed, the teams we actually beat are the ones among the worst in the League - 4 of 5 wins have come against the bottom 5*, Stoke are the only halfway decent team we've beaten.

*Admittedly Derby are only bottom 5 because of a points deduction. On the other hand, we played them the same week that the deduction came in so perhaps that was a psychological blow to them.

Probably as bad as Collins and Edgar, although would 100% be worse if C3PO has to come in for Davies' injury.

Oh to have a Maguire type again who could command, dribble through the middle and unleash a screamer from 40 yards without getting a nosebleed/ playing back to the keeper.

Bizarrely, none of yesterday's back four can actually play in a back four. Major overall needed if Slav wants to keep this formation.
And yet half of them play for their country in a back four.

The formations and lineups were all over the place at the start of the season. Remember us playing some sort of 4-2-4 at Swansea with Burke Brewster Sharp & Didsy up top basically leaving us with no midfield and vulnerable.

We didn’t have Olsen, Stevens, Davies & MGW and I think a 3-5-2 with these players at the moment would be the way to go to give us a more solid unit. We look like conceding against every team we play and I can’t see past bottom half finish with the way we are playing at the moment.
I think our formation has been more 6-0-4 over the last few game.

Probably as bad as Collins and Edgar, although would 100% be worse if C3PO has to come in for Davies' injury.

Oh to have a Maguire type again who could command, dribble through the middle and unleash a screamer from 40 yards without getting a nosebleed/ playing back to the keeper.
Playing at the side of the much maligned Collins made Harry Maguire the player he is today.

Before coming to us, Jack was first and foremost a defender. It’s only with us and the system that he came forward more.
I would argue that a big, strong, commanding full back who is also comfortable on the ball would cope easily.
Unfortunately we will probably not get to find out.

I have held back on this for a long time as I have been super critical of the 2 in front of them but today was the final straw.
We simply get bullied every week and Egan and Davies are so weak it’s untrue. They don’t win any tough battles at all and they look so poor. Look at how many goals we have conceded this year due to weak defending. The two in front don’t help at all but seriously these two are woeful in a 4. The goal today was like kids football. Centre half and indeed captain jogging out. We blamed Robinson and for good reason at times. Davies ?
Agreed.
Egans performances have been dire since the start of last season, he needs moving on.

Don’t trust this defence one but hate to say it but we need a ‘big rough head’ that can lead. After 75 minutes I get anxiety we always concede ffs

Back
Top Bottom