'Worse United team I've seen'

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nade

Reaction score
Seen a few people say this.

Are you aware that we are playing in the top division? Are you aware that we're up against much better opposition than the other leagues?

'worst United team ever?' You're embarrassing yourselves

Are you aware that we are playing in the top division? Are you aware that we're up against much better opposition than the other leagues?

Agreed as I remember the team that finished 11th in league 1 under Adkins.

But Would you accept that it could be our worst ever top flight team?

Last edited:

You are correct in pointing out the context of where the Blades are at this moment. it terms of gulf in class between what is needed and what we have this is by far the poorest squad I've seen in 65 years of watching the blades.

Theres a couple of ways of looking at it imo. Theres obviously the binary way of saying “well we’re in the Prem so it can’t be the worst team we’ve ever seen”, which is fair enough.

In terms of relative to our current position though, I dont think there are any United teams I’ve seen be so uncompetitive under as we were under Hecky. We’ve improved under Wilder in as much as, we at least look organised and capable if moving up the pitch rather than just sitting and waiting to get beat.

I’m slightly concerned that this group of players dont seem to have the intelligence or the desire to see a game out at the end. In the words of a certain Mr Warnock “you’ve got to fucking die to get 3 points”.

It just seems all very, uninspiring this year. I always seem to judge how bad a United team is by how apathetic I am towards the results and performances. The apathy was there when Hecky was manager but at least Wilder seems to have a plan, its the players that are letting him down atm. Probably not the worst team ever but it was in the conversation a month or so ago.

You are correct in pointing out the context of where the Blades are at this moment. it terms of gulf in class between what is needed and what we have this is by far the poorest squad I've seen in 65 years of watching the blades.
^^ correct. This here is exactly the point. Its not the fact we have had worse teams but how far off the required standard we are. It has consistently felt like we are a league 1 team facing a giant in a cup game instead of 2 teams in the same division competing.

The team in 2020/21 was worse.

I'm inclined to agree, though the standard has gone up considerably since then and I think we'll finish on a similar points total.

We do at least carry some goal threat in this team and have players capable of moments of quality (Slimane, McAtee, Hamer).
That team has nothing.

Luck or not, the opening statement that questions if this is the worst United team we’ve ever seen has to be considered as relative to the level we are at.
And it is possibly up there…clearly we’ve had worse teams over the years considering the levels below we have been but have any of those ever been as bad as this?

We are for sure more competitive but yesterday was the first time this season we’ve had more of the game and out passed an opponent, and created better and clearer chances.
I blame the owner and his board first and foremost for this as they are the constant in our demise and set the strategy on and off the field.

The confirmation of this being the worst might be is a lower level side is drawn at ours in the cup, then rocks up and plays our strongest side off the park and wins. Personally I’m hoping for a decent cup run so we have something to look forward to at least en route to relegation

I just think that it’s a team that hasn’t formed a winning culture or habit yet. It was a team thrown together to compete in the toughest league in the world. No pre-season, no battle hardened togetherness for our key players such as Hamer, Archer and Souza gained from a promotion winning season and the previous beating heart of the team, in the shape of Iliman, snatched out at the last minute. On top of that we then saw that Hecky was well out of his depth. Something of a perfect storm and we should adjust our expectations accordingly. They aren’t bad players, certainly not the worst I’ve seen in a Blades shirt and although I think it’s just too late to recover this season, I do have hopes for good solid promotion push next year, particular with CWAK in charge. That’s not something I have ever really thought about other relegated United sides so no, definitely not the worst

I just think that it’s a team that hasn’t formed a winning culture or habit yet. It was a team thrown together to compete in the toughest league in the world. No pre-season, no battle hardened togetherness for our key players such as Hamer, Archer and Souza gained from a promotion winning season and the previous beating heart of the team, in the shape of Iliman, snatched out at the last minute. On top of that we then saw that Hecky was well out of his depth. Something of a perfect storm and we should adjust our expectations accordingly. They aren’t bad players, certainly not the worst I’ve seen in a Blades shirt and although I think it’s just too late to recover this season, I do have hopes for good solid promotion push next year, particular with CWAK in charge. That’s not something I have ever really thought about other relegated United sides so no, definitely not the worst

Hecky has turned this lot into a bunch of losers. His mundane dont get beat tactics has coached all the belief out of them. They don’t know how to win a game.

It’s not necessarily the coaching that will turn this around, it’s about fixing the mentality. Right now they dont have the mentality, belief or nouse to win a game of football.

They keep trying to tell us that the "covid" season relegation wasn't helped by no crowds. We haven't got that excuse this time around and we look set for fewer points.

I blame the owner and his board first and foremost for this as they are the constant in our demise and set the strategy on and off the field.

Does this demise include the two promotions to the Premier League we've had? Or are you mostly thinking about the failed Play Off attempt in 2021?

They're incapable of even being close to maintaining us as a Premier League club but plenty of clubs have failed in that regard and even St Bielsa of Holbeck couldn't save L****

None of us want to be embarrassed and we already have been too often this season, but overall we've not had it that bad.

Now, if only I had any confidence the owner won't drive us into financial oblivion, I may even be able to believe what I've just written.

well we went into decline mid seventies when the divide between clubs was starting to be determined by how much money you had ,, We had diddly squat and ended up in div 4, Weve never really been able to compete these days as we are paupers in a league of billionaires, and multi millionaires

some of man citys players are better off than our chairman
are we as good as whats in this league, no of course not

we have turned up to a white dickie and cumberbund Savoy ball in a Primane onsie

whos to blame

them bastard billionaires who refuse to throw money at us
until then we work hard at playing catch up

You’re right about this not being the worst United team ever, it’s not by a long way.

However I’m struggling to think of a season I’ve enjoyed less. It’s just miserable.

I think for me it’s because we’re losing to not just the top teams but relegation rivals as well. Teams you’d expect to be as bad as we are but seem so much better than we are when we play them. Luton yesterday and Burnley before that for example.

Then on top of that we have VAR which is just awful and refs who fall over themselves to favour the top clubs in very 50-50 decision.

It really is shit, I don’t remember feeling this low in any other relegation season.

People do use hyperbole but given the current context you can’t really blame them. We should be able to at least compete at the level we are deemed to be at

You’re right about this not being the worst United team ever, it’s not by a long way.

However I’m struggling to think of a season I’ve enjoyed less. It’s just miserable.

I think for me it’s because we’re losing to not just the top teams but relegation rivals as well. Teams you’d expect to be as bad as we are but seem so much better than we are when we play them. Luton yesterday and Burnley before that for example.

Then on top of that we have VAR which is just awful and refs who fall over themselves to favour the top clubs in very 50-50 decision.

It really is shit, I don’t remember feeling this low in any other relegation season.
I’m with you on a lot of what you say but I definitely remember feeling worse in previous relegation seasons. The infamous Tevez season felt better during the season and we were more competitive but on the day we actually got relegated I remember thinking (as we all did) that we were entering a black pit of despair as far as future success was concerned. I don’t feel that about this squad now CWAK is back. That’s part of the frustration - we can see decent players like Archer, Souza, Hamer etc but you can’t have a standing start to a top league such as this one. Added to that the Prem has become fkin awful place to be with massively over entitled fans of the ‘big’ clubs, pundits who describe teams like us as ‘stinking the place out’ just because we aren’t in the petro millions club, VAR that is systematically destroying the soul of the game and top class professional players throwing themselves about because they have intimidated the whole league into believing that they are the chosen ones.

Agree it’s a God awful season but still optimistic about next year as restoring our faith in the club, the players and the game itself

Agreed

It’s all about perspective

Slimane will go his entire career and not perfectly loop his own keeper with an involuntary knee
Robbo will (possibly) not score another glancing diving header OG
Wes will concede sever near post cross/shot (but that’s a different problem)

You can’t legislate for all 3 of those in one game

Had we not scored 2 OGs and won 2-1, no one would be on here saying “held villa and beat Luton but this is still the worse Utd team I’ve ever seen”

The lethargic pitiful atmosphere Hecky allowed to manifest was the worse I’ve seen agreed

But if weren’t around when we had Hammond, Wallace, Flynn & Done in midfield, trust me Souza, Hamer, McAtee and Brooks are fucking nowhere near the worse

Obviously the worse United teams are the 3rd tier teams...especially the Adkins era.

However comparable to the opposition the home matches
Palace, Man City, Newcastle and Bournemouth are the least competitive I've seen us in 50 years.

All 4 of those games were very similar to watching a league 2 side play a PL side in the cup (actually against Palace we looked a league 1 side)
I've never felt so disillusioned watching us....knowing after 15 minutes....we've zero chance of taking a point.
The only reason/ interest to continue watching the match and to see if we can keep the score down....that's never good for any fan.

I've said all along I don't mind seeing us lose.....don't even mind seeing us being relegated
but many of the games under Hecky were pretty incredible to watch the massive gulf in class and ability......never known anything like it.

In conclusion
Under Hecky we often played like (at best) a league 1 team....with the players we had this wasn't acceptable.
Under Wilder we've significantly improved and now look a poor PL team/ very decent Championship team. At least I'm feeling some optimism for next season where as with Hecky I kept thinking the team would be relegated, even in the Championship.

Last edited:
We know we need a billionaire..

We haven't got one.

The quality gap between our players and the rest is staggering..

As for Luton, I got challenged earlier, but Luton are ripping a page out of our playbook from the first wilder season and getting results that some were shocked by..

Not me, I was at the "kenny" when we had slav in charge, they'd come up with a swagger hit the post twice and the bar once, we were lucky to get that point..

Every other team has spent more than us, I suspect Luton are paying better wages than us as well...

They probably wil have more to spend than us in Jan, so we shouldn't look at them as poor relations either.

Nowhere near the worst team we have ever put out, but we are a fucking shambles when put under any kind of attacking pressure and lack leadership all over the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom