Wilson's position

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I sometimes think we are one of the best sets of fans in world football. On other occasions like upon reading this thread i hang my head and wonder what the fuck is going on. Let's get this straight. Some of us are questioning whether the manager should stay or be fired. This is assuming we fail in the play offs. This is the man who turned us from dog and duck, up and atem fc into a decent footballing side. With one of the best goalscoring records in all divisions. When it has unraveled it was because his top scorer got banged up. He has operated with integrity and dignity on all occasions.

We finished third with a points total that most would have said would get us promoted most times.

I wonder if our fans also realise how we weaken our position every time we go up in arms over a new appointment, or when we do a shoes off when shit doesnt go the way we would like it.

Lets give this man more than one season. We gave previous mangers several chances to get promoted. This guys doing the right things.

I wasn't going to critisize anyone before the play offs but you have to look what harry is playing in front of. We have 3 good parts of a back 5 we need to find a keeper and a left back to plug the defence for next season.
2 thirds of that 3 good parts won't be here next season if we are still in league one.

Your football views are remarkably in synch with your politics.

Au contraire, if SE10 was to apply cold hearted capitalist logic to football he'd have pulled the plug on his patronage of the failing enterprise that is Sheffield United Football Club long ago.

If we are not successful in the playoffs it will be a major rebuilding project the likes of which I can't remember.
The defence, midfield and forward line would need almost total rebuilding.
Lowton, Simmo probably Harry alonside Quinn, McDonald, Williamson would all need replacing.

SwissBlade, i'll take the kind of inconsistency from Quinn that has resulted in him contributing to more goals than any other player this season.

Its right to ask the question. I'm always the one that says we should not sack a manager for the sake of it. However, the club needs to make a thorough assessment of the season and ask some questions.

Did the club achieve its target?
Did we do enough?
Did we strengthen the squad in the right way?

Personally I want us to keep Wilson, on the playing style he's more than met my expectations and for once we will have a summer without distractions and with a proper preseason. We should be attacking league one with a fresh impetus next season.

I do have some new reservations about the way we have approached the last 3rd of the season. And here are my comments:

1. Loans- Once again we relied on the loan system and it failed, we reacted rather than planned for all eventualities. Loanees - hill, Hoskins, o'halloran and Egan have been exceptionally poor. That's a he'll of a waste of money, with little benefit. Clarke and Phillips were excellent and made big impacts

2. Signings - MacDonald and LJF apart, the other signings have been poor. Porter, BT, Williams have not commanded 1st team slots that they should. Flynn has finally made a little bit of an impact, but has been far too slow in challenging for the left wing slot.

3. Big names, big wages, big time charlies - Quinn, monty, Simmo have all been carried at times, never consistent enough and all three must go.

4. Harry - has shown maturity and for first 2 3rds of the season outstanding, more recently has looked tired and disinterested.

5. Style of play - pleasure to watch at times, but when it mattered we could not defend, I don't think the play offs will be lost because of the lack of goal scorers, we'll fail because we cannot keep clean sheets anymore.

6. Youngsters and fringe players - Wilson seems to have faith in his starting 11 which I love. Pick your strongest team and stick with it, I believe this a major reason for the success of ched this year. However, this comes at a price. Too few of the youngsters have forced their way into contention, too few fringe players have had enough minutes under their belts to get sharp. So when we needed them, they weren't ready. I think this can be reflected in the success of the reserves because they have managed to get settled. If the youngsters are ready, then play them ahead of loanees

7.. Finally the positive - Lowton, Collins, Doyle, Cresswell, macca, willo and ched have been my outstanding players and for me these are what we should build around next season, we need fullbacks, Lowton can play midfield if willo doesn't stay.

It's been an enjoyable season, but it's tinged with a feeling that we ran out of steam and whilst we picked up points, the performances dropped and when it mattered we just didn't want it enough to pick up our heels and finish what we worked so hard to achieve.

Ched's situation was a blow, but just like losing 2 centre halves in a weekend, we failed to plan well enough and just reacted.

Wilson has to take some blame for failing to achieve automatics, but at the same time he should be praised hugely for putting us in that position in the first place. More fight, more guile, more leadership and use the resources available in a better way.

A very long winded way of saying I am pleased we haven't gone up automatic because I wanted Alehouse in charge and I was right.

A very long winded way of saying I am pleased we haven't gone up automatic because I wanted Alehouse in charge and I was right.

Long winded yes, but If you read any of it, I was saying that I was in favour of Wilson staying...

SwissBlade, i'll take the kind of inconsistency from Quinn that has resulted in him contributing to more goals than any other player this season.

For me its down to the wages now. You could argue that perhaps nobody could've done more in terms of contributions, but I just feel that its time for him to go.

Back
Top Bottom