Wilson's position

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bladeinspaceandtime

bob-bobbar-bob-bob-bob-bobbar this is planet earth
Reaction score
Assuming that we don't buck the trend and we are stuck in League 1 next season, do people think we would be best served doing this with Wilson continuing as manager? I'm not convinced he has got it in him to rebuild a side and effectively replace a striker in red-hot form and a class midfielder (assuming MacD goes off to pastures new) along with the other positions that need sorting. To be fair to him he has outperformed my expectations this season (I was expecting a relegation scrap!) so maybe he deserves another go.

I would give him another go.

But if we dont go up then next seasons squad will look vastly diffrent to the one we have now.

Taken a relegated team, fans and club at their lowest ebb for years, changed the style, coped with a reduced wage budget and the wrath of certain fans, 90 points and 92 goals which would have got us promoted in every previous season bar one in football league history, yeah, get rid :confused:

Different ball game I agree if we're in this division with a major re-build on the cards but there's no reason to believe that he doesn't know exactly what type of players he'd need.

Yeah worth keeping (any other season a points total of 90 would see you promoted) plus even if we did get rid not sure who we would get in anyway.

Assuming that we don't buck the trend and we are stuck in League 1 next season, do people think we would be best served doing this with Wilson continuing as manager? I'm not convinced he has got it in him to rebuild a side and effectively replace a striker in red-hot form and a class midfielder (assuming MacD goes off to pastures new) along with the other positions that need sorting. To be fair to him he has outperformed my expectations this season (I was expecting a relegation scrap!) so maybe he deserves another go.
Why aren't you convinced ?

No doubt it my mind that he should carry on. The team may have blown it at the last but all our momentum seemed to be downward this time last year. He's turned us around, got us playing some great football and has really endeared himself. It would be a crying shame if there's even a ripple amongst the fans about getting shut.

Cant believe this thread exists. At the end of next season maybe, but not now.

Obviously, it's foolish to be making decisions on Wilson's future until after the playoffs, as we don't yet know what division we'll be playing next season. However, it is a fact that he has not managed to get us up through the automatics on the biggest wage bill in the division, and should the PO's deliver their usual disappointment, McCabe may be asking him some questions. I can't see him leaving this summer though, regardless of what league we'll be playing in.

Obviously, it's foolish to be making decisions on Wilson's future until after the playoffs, as we don't yet know what division we'll be playing next season. However, it is a fact that he has not managed to get us up through the automatics on the biggest wage bill in the division, and should the PO's deliver their usual disappointment, McCabe may be asking him some questions. I can't see him leaving this summer though, regardless of what league we'll be playing in.
The wage bill/talent ratio was not of his making and I suspect has restricted what he has been able to do

Honestly can't belive people are asking this question. Have we or have we not tried to play football this season something that we as blades (and I think I speak for most) have wanted for years. Fair enough last few games our character has being tested and we've not really replied however I feel that is down to some of the players simply not performing as they have been in the past few months, something which isn't really in Wilson's control

Reactions: God
Daft thing to suggest. Wilson's hardly put a foot wrong and the players only lost their heads after Ched got convicted. If that hadn't happened then we'd have pissed automatic promotion.

We haven't got promoted at this point because our leading scorer is in clink. Nothing wilson has done this season has been anything other than positive for the club. The man has has a good effect on a previously rotting corpse of a club. He gets my backing and its obscene to think that we should do anything else.

Its right to ask the question. I'm always the one that says we should not sack a manager for the sake of it. However, the club needs to make a thorough assessment of the season and ask some questions.

Did the club achieve its target?
Did we do enough?
Did we strengthen the squad in the right way?

Personally I want us to keep Wilson, on the playing style he's more than met my expectations and for once we will have a summer without distractions and with a proper preseason. We should be attacking league one with a fresh impetus next season.

I do have some new reservations about the way we have approached the last 3rd of the season. And here are my comments:

1. Loans- Once again we relied on the loan system and it failed, we reacted rather than planned for all eventualities. Loanees - hill, Hoskins, o'halloran and Egan have been exceptionally poor. That's a he'll of a waste of money, with little benefit. Clarke and Phillips were excellent and made big impacts

2. Signings - MacDonald and LJF apart, the other signings have been poor. Porter, BT, Williams have not commanded 1st team slots that they should. Flynn has finally made a little bit of an impact, but has been far too slow in challenging for the left wing slot.

3. Big names, big wages, big time charlies - Quinn, monty, Simmo have all been carried at times, never consistent enough and all three must go.

4. Harry - has shown maturity and for first 2 3rds of the season outstanding, more recently has looked tired and disinterested.

5. Style of play - pleasure to watch at times, but when it mattered we could not defend, I don't think the play offs will be lost because of the lack of goal scorers, we'll fail because we cannot keep clean sheets anymore.

6. Youngsters and fringe players - Wilson seems to have faith in his starting 11 which I love. Pick your strongest team and stick with it, I believe this a major reason for the success of ched this year. However, this comes at a price. Too few of the youngsters have forced their way into contention, too few fringe players have had enough minutes under their belts to get sharp. So when we needed them, they weren't ready. I think this can be reflected in the success of the reserves because they have managed to get settled. If the youngsters are ready, then play them ahead of loanees

7.. Finally the positive - Lowton, Collins, Doyle, Cresswell, macca, willo and ched have been my outstanding players and for me these are what we should build around next season, we need fullbacks, Lowton can play midfield if willo doesn't stay.

It's been an enjoyable season, but it's tinged with a feeling that we ran out of steam and whilst we picked up points, the performances dropped and when it mattered we just didn't want it enough to pick up our heels and finish what we worked so hard to achieve.

Ched's situation was a blow, but just like losing 2 centre halves in a weekend, we failed to plan well enough and just reacted.

Wilson has to take some blame for failing to achieve automatics, but at the same time he should be praised hugely for putting us in that position in the first place. More fight, more guile, more leadership and use the resources available in a better way.

I'd keep him. Yes, it's been a disappointment. But we have a had a good season with a high points tally. Next season won't be as easy. However, I'm fed up of us changing managers to regularly. I think a bit of stability will be needed, at least in the short term.

My only criticism of him is his reluctance to change things sometimes. He can leave it late to make substitutions - the Wednesday away game being a prime example.

Ridiculous to say Maguire hasn't looked interested ,this is the lads first real season as a pro and he has been immense.

Ridiculous to say Maguire hasn't looked interested ,this is the lads first real season as a pro and he has been immense.

I'm basing my opinion on him being immense AND very poor at times - this is because he has shown how good he can be

He has made hardly any mistakes considering how many minutes hes been on the pitch in his first full season ,I think you have become complacent and are expecting too much of him.

There have been a couple of problems with Danny. Firstly we dipped horribly when Kev McD was injured there was no plan B and secondly we haven't managed to sort out a way of scoring enough without Ched despite the fact that we were top two at the begining of the season without him. I think this is why Swindon ans complained that he doesn't know what to do when things arn't going to plan. The major problem Danny has next year (I want to keep him) is that Matty Lowton and Maguire will have to go with the forementioned high earners. There is Terry Kennedy to come through and Philiskirk. There is some money available from not paying Ched's wages so its not all bad, but its not good either. However Danny has done more than enough to keep his job.

I think Wilson has probably over-achieved against fans' expectations more than anyone since Bassett. Sadly I'm not surprised that people are now questioning his position, it's just like every week's 606 or TalkIdiot phone-in with 'fans' wailing and screaming 'I want it now, now, now'.

Whether we succeed or fail in the play-offs, the job at BDTBL will be very, very tough next season but there's no-one I'd trust more than DW to pull it off.

I wouldn't say Maguire has been disinterested but he has made mistakes & his lack of pace is a concern. He has had some good games but I don't think you can play Maguire & Collins together, particularly against quicker forwards because they get ripped to shreds - as they have several times this season. We have conceded far too many goals. We need a quicker central defender to play alongside Maguire or Collins. The upturn in fortunes for the pigs was largely based on clean sheets.

I wasn't going to critisize anyone before the play offs but you have to look what harry is playing in front of. We have 3 good parts of a back 5 we need to find a keeper and a left back to plug the defence for next season.

Reactions: God
I wasn't going to critisize anyone before the play offs but you have to look what harry is playing in front of. We have 3 good parts of a back 5 we need to find a keeper and a left back to plug the defence for next season.

Spot on Sitwell.

I think the lack of pace at the back is our biggest problem defensively. It's been alarming at times how players with any sort of pace have got through on goal. And, Collins apart, I don't think any of the back 5 have performed consistently this season. Hopefully they will do the business now. Three consecutive clean sheets would be nice.....

If anyone has earned some loyalty surely it's DW, cast your mind back to last season and compare how you felt on Saturday night to how you've felt this year! The problem is he has overachieved and understandably raised expectations.

Fact is, if Evans had kept his cock in his pants we'd be promoted now and everyone would have been lauding Wilson as the best football manager since John Harris!

My Thoughts, A really big decision to be made.

Ok DW appeared to have got the best out of Ched along with the rest, so he should because
with the players we have we should have been in our final position at the least despite last seasons terrible performance. But was this just the players being big fishes in a much smaller pool

We have a number players that would get in most Championship sides.

These players are the ones we could well lose, e.g. Quinn, MCD, Williamson. Lowton, simmonson( Ok I'll let you argue with that, Monty, Ched, he's gone for us anyway, thats 7 players out of eleven.

Both Doyle and Collins, I think, were let go by championship clubs as they were not good enough for average championship sides. So they have found their level

Where does that now leave us? DW's second season has been mentioned as generally poor and if that is the case combined with the loss of top league 1 if not championship players where will be going?

I do not know the answer but I am very concerned, unless KMac puts more cash in, that we will be in this division for a lot longer than the porcine, weeds, Norwich and Southampton were and with no real prospects of getting out the right way.

Can DW source younger players who will give us the necessary energy and pace to compensate for the losses that we are likely to achieve?

My views here are clouded by his performance at Bristol City where he did not win promotion for ostensibly the top club in the division at that time yet Evans did.

My final comment is , bearing in mind I don't know his contract position, is to let him go if we don't get up via the play offs and look at some one like Tisdale who has seriously over achieved at Exeter.

agreed for me he's been immense, considering it's his breakout season as well makes if even more impressive, he's improved so much and is still so young

Back
Top Bottom