Player Suggestion Will Smallbone

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Paul Shaw ?

Paul Shaw...Yeh that's the bald headed player I was thinking of......couldn't remember his name apart from it being Paul
Remember Shaw's early home games for us and he was a really exciting live wire kind of player, his style reminded me of another attacking midfielder Glen Cockerel.
Shaw was surprisingly really good but for some reason he didn't stay long.

Remember seeing us also play Barnsley in the FA cup and thinking their bald headed bloke Steve Agnew was running midfield, looked pure class.
I remember thinking how come Barnsley have such a class player, why can't we buy him.

Paul Shaw ?

Paul Shaw...Yeh that's the bald headed player I was thinking of......couldn't remember his name apart from it being Paul
Remember Shaw's early home games for us and he was a really exciting live wire kind of player, his style reminded me of another attacking midfielder Glen Cockerel.

Remember seeing us also play Barnsley in the FA cup and thinking their bald headed bloke Steve Agnew was running midfield, looked pure class.
I remember thinking how come Barnsley have such a class player, why can't we buy him.
He was more 2004/05 then mid 90s, if its same player I remember as a kid

I have better memories of Paul Shaw than I have of Tommy Mooney looking back on old players that were bald
Never forget him taking charge of the free kick against Liverpool when Kirkland should have walked
Didn’t understand why he took it over Browny in the first place and he totally muffed it….

Interestingly Stoke played him on the left side of midfield at times so I wonder if that’s where we see him playing for us and that he’s an alternative to O’Brien. Especially if and it’s a big if we can get Hamer these two either side of Souza collecting the ball from him and moving us up the pitch and we might have a competitive midfield. We’d still have lots of work to do upfront but midfield and defence would be solid enough.

I have better memories of Paul Shaw than I have of Tommy Mooney looking back on old players that were bald
Never forget him taking charge of the free kick against Liverpool when Kirkland should have walked
Didn’t understand why he took it over Browny in the first place and he totally muffed it….
Mooney aggressively insisted on taking the free kick. The captain should have stepped in and firmly told him "Browny is taking it". I was furious with Mooney as he had just signed for us

That’s absolutely right Silent Blade
He’d been with us 5 minutes…I was fuming
Obviously if he’d have banged it into the top corner I would have sang his praises :)
But it was a truly awful free kick at a critical time just before end of normal play :mad:

Maybe Browny might have done better but it was set up for a left footer more than a right.

It's funny, I also remember that game and how good Steve Agnew was and what a bargain he would be if we could pick him up, was obsessed with it for years. Then he had a good game against us for Sunderland, quite some years later and I felt quite smug calling it to mates before the game, no idea how he actually did between those years. There was also a performance against us by Stuart Ripley for Middlesbrough, during those years, that always seemed to stick with me for some reason.

It's evidently clear that this is our approach, identifying players in their last year of contract where we can get them below market value.

Though it would be nice to see some more urgency, as getting the impression we're still sounding out valuations to identify where we can best get value. Which should have been done weeks ago!!!!
Don't think we were expecting to lose Illy and Sander back then.

It's funny, I also remember that game and how good Steve Agnew was and what a bargain he would be if we could pick him up, was obsessed with it for years. Then he had a good game against us for Sunderland, quite some years later and I felt quite smug calling it to mates before the game, no idea how he actually did between those years. There was also a performance against us by Stuart Ripley for Middlesbrough, during those years, that always seemed to stick with me for some reason.
Steve Agnew comes to our village on holiday and he's totally grounded and level headed like in his playing days.
He used to always come in ours for a drink with Gordan McQueen and they were both good company.
I once made the mistake of telling them about Harry McGuire and what a player he was shaping up to be .At the time Agnew was number 2 to Steve Bruce at Hull .Later that year we played them in that thrilling semi final at Wembley.
The next time he came in he said "you were right about that lad McGuire what a player he is going to be,oh by the way sorry but we're going to nick him off you"

Can not see this happening with an income of near £70m for JWP and the Chelsea bound kid

TBF (and hoping we get Hamer as well) Souza to boot people and get the ball, Smallbone to tap it around and Silmane to get forward aint the worst midfield I can think of

Saints don’t want to sell him he’s vital to their first team

Back
Top Bottom