Wilder out

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wilder's record since quitting SUFC is alarming, however, I do believe, he will sign wisely, he will get it right and United will be a good side in the Championship next season.
It might look like a very different starting XI this time next season, he's got a lot of work to do and can't really afford to miss with any transfers.

In terms of the ownership, I think PA's legacy will actually be in who he sells to.
If there was a billionaire Blades fan out there, they would have shown themselves by now. So best we can hope for is someone (or group) that actually cares about growing Sheffield United both on and off the pitch for the long term.

On what basis do you think he will sign wisely? His track record in that department is mixed at best....

On what basis do you think he will sign wisely? His track record in that department is mixed at best....
I don't know how transfer targets are identified and who does the actual signing BUT I think that maybe a lot of work is done by the scouting team and that has changed very recently so it could be that it is not the fault of ANY manager that we have had recently. In reality I don't think any one not involved with the club can say or sure.

I don't know how transfer targets are identified and who does the actual signing BUT I think that maybe a lot of work is done by the scouting team and that has changed very recently so it could be that it is not the fault of ANY manager that we have had recently. In reality I don't think any one not involved with the club can say or sure.

I think the relentless pursuit of Ryan Leonard and Ricky Holmes a few seasons ago was 100% down to Wilder. They both turned out well.....

We made a profit on Leonard and he played alright for us, hardly an example of a bad signing. Wilder's record pre PL was ridiculously good.

Leonard was bombed out on loan to Millwall after about 10 games....

it pains me to say this as i was a big chris wilder fan first time round but i just dont think its going to happen for him at the lane this time round having said that if he stays i sincerly hope he makes me eat my words just think we need a younger manager with different ideas to come in having said that neither guardiola or klopp could have kept this squad in the premier league i would sooner us stay in the championship than go up again having spent peanuts

Because I'm stuck waiting for a taxi I've had time to work this out (please correct me if any of this is wrong)

Chris Wilder's managerial statistics since finishing 9th with Sheffield United
Matches 109
Wins 32
Draws 20
Loses 57
Yikes. Wilder's moment in the sun has long been and gone. A ridiculous amount of naivety from the club if they think that Chris Wilder can suddenly recreate 2016 to 2020 again

He managed a rebuild with us in League One but its easier at that level when players are on shorter, cheaper deals and there's more margin for error to get rid of someone who turns out to be useless compared to now where we've got millstones like Brewster round our necks on long, big money contracts and very few others who anyone would give us any decent money for.

Also helps when at League One level, we were a big draw for a lot of players whereas now, we're sifting through the charity shop donations hoping for something that the Antiques Roadshow say will make us very rich. Instead, we've ended up the car boot with a load of shite.

The thing that Wilder failed to achieve with us is the second rebuild, phasing out some of the old guard who took us through the leagues and replacing them with better versions. Instead we ended up with dross like Brewster, Kean Bryan, Callum Robinson (then Burke), getting Ramsdale back who took too long to get going, Max Lowe, Jack Robinson was largely shit until last season, Ampadu, Rodwell, Morrison, bringing Jags back and various dodgy foreigners. Robinson was probably the best of a rotten bunch. He probably drank some of his own Kool Aid thinking he could do the same thing at Middlesbrough, do a bit of overlapping centre backs and it'll all work out fine but it's gone tits up pretty much ever since.

That's the thing that the better managers and better clubs than ours can do that we haven't been able to. Alex Ferguson did it 5 or 6 times and we were hoping that Chris Wilder would be our answer to that but has been found to come up short. Not that Fergie got it right every time and while he had a few quid to spend, you still can't just splurge it on any old rubbish. You have to make the best of the resources you have and we didn't

Other than Ndiaye, the best players we've had here over recent seasons have mainly been other peoples - Henderson, Doyle, MGW, McAtee - Premier League footballers in waiting, not blokes playing at it or looking decent one game every 4 or 5 and reverting back to type.

The club tried to get a fresh perspective with Jokanovic. It didn't work so we went back to the tried and tested which was a short term fix and until Prince sells up, we'll be lurching from one season and short term fix to the next without any concrete ambition or plan, down the scrap yard, gaffer taping new bits onto the Sheffield United Nissan Micra rather than investing in something new and reliable.

Because in a post intended to insult and attack our owner (which is fair enough), he uses the word Arab despite us all knowing he is an Arab.

If a newspaper article referred to him as an Arab, we can assume they're trying to inform the reader rather than using his race as an insult.

That post uses the word Arab next to the word embarrassing, as another adjective to describe him. Was he jumping from an insult to a merely neutrally descriptor of his race? Possibly, but it doesn't read like that.

For example, "Danny is a fucking stupid gay dickhead". It's reasonable to assume that gay is being used as an insult in this sentence given it's context and would therefore be homophobic.
Except of course if Danny is gay….

In which case as a non binary gender fluid they/them stupid dickhead I find the suggestion I’m a chutney pusher offensive

Of course we could stop snowflaking and taking offence on other people’s behalf

I mean it not like we’ve got nowt to complain about on the pitch is it

Leonard was bombed out on loan to Millwall after about 10 games....
Or he was sold on for a huge profit with 16 appearances after joining in the January window.

He was sold because we had our pick of him, Lundstram (also signed for a pittance from LG1 and now playing for Rangers) and Norwood who was cheap and incredible for us.

Ricky Holmes was a bad signing, cheap but never worked out. Players that make profits without leaving gaps in the squad are good signings surely.

Except of course if Danny is gay….

In which case as a non binary gender fluid they/them stupid dickhead I find the suggestion I’m a chutney pusher offensive

Of course we could stop snowflaking and taking offence on other people’s behalf

I mean it not like we’ve got nowt to complain about on the pitch is it
They aren't mutually exclusive. Danny can be gay and I could be using the word gay as an insult. Just like if I shouted at a player calling him a "black bastard". Does it make it not racist because he's black?

Either way, no more replies about this from me so as not to derail the thread.

Last edited:
Given where the club is at ownership and financially, I wouldn't want any other manager in the entire world in charge other than CW right now.

We've got choppy waters to navigate. A new manager coming into the current shit show is a far bigger risk than letting CW crack on. For me, this period isn't the time for further risk.

Think I’d have Wilder going into a Sheffield Derby season then someone who doesn’t get the club. And Ayling would be a good signing not the Cafu or millions we can spend on a right back we can’t afford

works hard every game he plays very vocal something completely void at this club.

They aren't mutually exclusive. Danny can be gay and I could be using the word gay as an insult. Just like if I shouted at a player calling him a "black bastard". Does it make it not racist because he's black?

Either way, no more replies about this so as not to derail the thread.
Yes, no need for any further replies. We can all tell you are a morally superior individual - your job is done.

United World are to blame. They have no record of recruitment success at multiple clubs. All the fans hate the recruitment at all the clubs. It's a consisten, undeniable pattern.The only success we've had at United over the last 20 years re recruitment is Wilder/Knill/Mitchell pre Premier League. Wilder is here as the cheque book has vanished. They want him to start pulling gold from his ass again. An extremely difficult thing to do. Grbic looks like another UW comedy gem. The issue is not only Wilder's potential inability to repeat his Paul Daniels period (at multiple clubs btw), but the possibility that he's been neutered by UW. His tone is one of somebody that no longer has the bottle to manage upstairs or drive decisions like he did throughout his last period. It smells a bit like the puppet Wilder period to me.
Grbic is a UW signing. Our model is sell to buy. With Wes finished Grbic is here like all the other permanent players: to be shop windowed. The irony is that he's that bad he's losing value with each game he plays.
Haven't got any proof to argue with any of the above!

Because I'm stuck waiting for a taxi I've had time to work this out (please correct me if any of this is wrong)

Matches 109
Wins 32
Draws 20
Loses 57
Chris Wilder's Premier League record since finishing 9th with Sheffield United:

P47 W6 D7 L34 F36 A94 Pts 25

Distilled down to a 38 game season:
P38 W5 D6 L27 F29 A76 Pts 20

He's out of his depth in the PL. No shame in that, it's a ruthless division.

Separately, and more concerningly, I couldn't figure out what our plan was on Saturday. We've had success against Burnley, as have a lot of clubs this season, putting pressure on their defence and goalkeepers. We stood off them. We switched from 5 at the back to 4 at the back but had no width in the midfield as Hamer and McAtee aren't wingers. Souza and Hamer repeatedly fail to track runners. We know that Berge will keep the game ticking over and keep possession (90% pass completion rate, only 17% forwards) but we put him under no pressure whatsoever. The defence and goalkeeper passed it amongst themselves with no thought for the second or third ball so we ended up coughing up possession in our own half. Wilder picked Grbic again, Grbic picked the ball out of his net more times than he prevented it going in, again.

Think I’d have Wilder going into a Sheffield Derby season then someone who doesn’t get the club. And Ayling would be a good signing not the Cafu or millions we can spend on a right back we can’t afford

works hard every game he plays very vocal something completely void at this club.
i think leadership on the pitch is something weve badly lacked this season and for that reason i really hope baldock stays make him the captain and either egan or robinson as vice captain

Given where the club is at ownership and financially, I wouldn't want any other manager in the entire world in charge other than CW right now.

We've got choppy waters to navigate. A new manager coming into the current shit show is a far bigger risk than letting CW crack on. For me, this period isn't the time for further risk.

Some may say the last time we hit choppy waters he was first in the lifeboat.

What I don't understand is how Chris Wilder, who in his day was a very effective full back both in defence and in going forward, is putting out sides with no one other than Furious George who knows how (or has the right attitude) to play that position.

And if you're going to rely on wing backs with 3 guys covering across the back behind, those wing backs have got to know how to tackle/jostle/cover back. Too many of our wing backs seem to see their defensive duties as beneath them.

The only players on our books that can do the basic defensive role of a wing back/ full back are Baldock and RND. Both crocks. Injury probe Osborn is the other one that can give it a go niw and again.

I'm afraid whilst ever HRH is at the helm his lapdog Wilder will be in charge. The only way that changes is if Wilder walks out the back door again with a bag full of cash....

If Wilder is his "lapdog" it'd be a volte face from the his deportment and the relationship during his previous tenure.

The question: has he had his wings clipped to get the job?! If the answer is "yes" the record of UW suggests we are in for a world of pain.

Because in a post intended to insult and attack our owner (which is fair enough), he uses the word Arab despite us all knowing he is an Arab.

If a newspaper article referred to him as an Arab, we can assume they're trying to inform the reader rather than using his race as an insult.

That post uses the word Arab next to the word embarrassing, as another adjective to describe him. Was he jumping from an insult to a merely neutrally descriptor of his race? Possibly, but it doesn't read like that.

For example, "Danny is a fucking stupid gay dickhead". It's reasonable to assume that gay is being used as an insult in this sentence given it's context and would therefore be homophobic.
Assume!! There u go just assuming, should never assume.

Matches 109
Wins 32
Draws 20
Loses 57
Feel like I'm defending him quite a bit recently, to be honest I wouldn't mind if he left if we had a better owner who you could trust would get it right. However, this is a tad misleading because a lot of its effected by how shite we are & his time at Watford. He messed the 2nd season up with Boro, no getting away with that.

I'm not sure what to expect next season, hopefully its just better than this!

This season is an odd one.

Wilder came back on board a sinking and rudderless ship. To extend the metaphor, the deckhands and crew all had scurvy or are looking longingly at the shark infested waters below as a sweet release and the treasure chest full of doubloons is empty.

This season was fucked from the start. It’s become irrelevant. Judging a man’s ability to motivate and organise the inept, the selfish and the incompetent is folly.

Has CW made mistake’s since his return? Of course he has. Those expecting much different were sadly in dreamland. We are rotting from the inside. CWs time this season was simply a stopgap till a summer rebuild.

Is he the right man for the job? Who knows.

However I’d rather have CW for a rebuild who’s witnessed first hand out squad of slugs ability and character will hopefully oversee a brutal cull.

This season is an odd one.

Wilder came back on board a sinking and rudderless ship. To extend the metaphor, the deckhands and crew all had scurvy or are looking longingly at the shark infested waters below as a sweet release and the treasure chest full of doubloons is empty.

This season was fucked from the start. It’s become irrelevant. Judging a man’s ability to motivate and organise the inept, the selfish and the incompetent is folly.

Has CW made mistake’s since his return? Of course he has. Those expecting much different were sadly in dreamland. We are rotting from the inside. CWs time this season was simply a stopgap till a summer rebuild.

Is he the right man for the job? Who knows.

However I’d rather have CW for a rebuild who’s witnessed first hand out squad of slugs ability and character will hopefully oversee a brutal cull.
You're right, this season was doomed before we kicked a ball. But i think people are overlooking he has been in charge for 19 games, it is half a season. We've won 2 games in that time. We can't just blame the season on the start.

With half a season in charge, i dont think it would be too much to ask to see improvements in us being a bit more defensively solid and being difficult to beat. Not getting totally embarrassed and battered at bramall lane. We're in a position where fans are now jeering our own players when they touch the ball and get subbed off. When he came back i'm sure the majority of people would have thought the first two points would have been a given, the last i dont think anyone would have thought it would happen with him at the helm.

I think the relentless pursuit of Ryan Leonard and Ricky Holmes a few seasons ago was 100% down to Wilder. They both turned out well.....

I didn't mind Wilder going after Holmes like that. He clearly saw him as a player he could trust from his time at Northampton. An experienced professional who could add something to the group. Similar to his experience of Jake Wright at Oxford.

One was a huge success, the other a massive flop.

You're right, this season was doomed before we kicked a ball. But i think people are overlooking he has been in charge for 19 games, it is half a season. We've won 2 games in that time. We can't just blame the season on the start.

With half a season in charge, i dont think it would be too much to ask to see improvements in us being a bit more defensively solid and being difficult to beat. Not getting totally embarrassed and battered at bramall lane. We're in a position where fans are now jeering our own players when they touch the ball and get subbed off. When he came back i'm sure the majority of people would have thought the first two points would have been a given, the last i dont think anyone would have thought it would happen with him at the helm.
You are missing the all important fact- The players at his disposal are dogshit- we have not got 1 player that gets in any other Prem team - same team will be lucky to finish over halfway in Championship. Wilder may have his detractors but somehow turning this bunch into winners in Prem was impossible. Plucky Luton have 7 or 8 players we would gladly swap.

He took the job because he was desperate and thought that he might get lucky, he was kidding himself. I'd definitely stick with him next year- he's now under no illusions he and his team know exactly the fix.

Back
Top Bottom