Wilder has changed nothing......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

And Burnley! (this was supposed to quote the 0-8 0-5 Newcastle/Arsenal losses post but I've forgotten how to do that}

I don’t agree that he hasn’t changed anything.

It’s not going to be enough, but then with the squad we’ve got, and the way we are being run, I really don’t think it would have mattered who took over. Wilder is merely making the shit sandwich a bit more palatable by putting some sauce on it.

I'd expect him to pick our best players ... he didn't and we were wank ...
3 of our better players were suspended or match tied! So he picked what he deemed the best XI. We were playing the best footy team in the world. Wilder has 4 points from 6 in which we've played Liverpool, Chelsea, Villa and Man City. Luton result aside what did you expect? What did Hecky et al get from 14 games - 5 points.

Fans: ‘Sack Hecky, sack Hecky…..bring in literally anyone else’, so we sack him and bring in Wilder. Results continue to be shit so we then think Wilder is the problem. Could it be that the players and lack of investment is the problem?
I agree mate no matter who the manager is the results would be the same ,Having said that I dont think results we had against Newcastle and Burnley will be repeated .Wilder changes the team for tactical reasons where as Hecky just kept on playing the same formation no matter who we were up against . Not always pretty to watch and not always successful but we look stronger even with the players we have who lets face it are not all good enough to be in the prem . The manager who ever that might be are going to struggle with our squad and that's down to low investment and bad scouting which in turn results in to bad signings . Even our more gifted players look poor mainly due to them being starved of support by other team mates who are not up to the job . It would be nice if we had a few more who could pass a ball or keep hold of it . Some we have could not pass wind .

I don’t agree that he hasn’t changed anything.

It’s not going to be enough, but then with the squad we’ve got, and the way we are being run, I really don’t think it would have mattered who took over. Wilder is merely making the shit sandwich a bit more palatable by putting some sauce on it.
Only change I can see is Tufty wears a suit now?!

In fact I'd say we are less likely to get back up after relegation than if we'd kept hecky, Jack and Stuart McCall.... discuss....
I think you are a tad early with your question most Blades fans are still blinkered by their Bladey Blinkers..

Infact some of our fan base would still be singing 'he's one of our own' if we were about to kick off against Boreham Wood in the National League in 4 seasons time.

While I will admit we have improved a little under Wilder the Luton defeat and the rollover and have our bellies tickled defeat by Man City have done nothing too quash my worries on Wilder, he's even started with the face pulling earlier than I thought he would.

We are down but anyone who thinks Wilder is going too get us straight back up I'm afraid is probably going too be in for a shock.

I just hope the Prince sells us or at least sees sense and gets rid at the end off this season, or at the very least put some signs up with directions too the back door.

was never going to be able to change staff till now january transfer window
but we have competed better already

weve gone from no chance to slim chance , nut thats better than not an earthly

We now look like a team that is actually coached. In the final couple of months of Hecky there didn't appear to be a plan or identity.
Exactly yes,

I’m not seeing an identity yet but I am seeing one being worked on, maybe after JTW things will settle down.

Even if its 4-4-2 and bring on a striker if we’re losing or a defender if we’re winning after 70 minutes, it doesn’t matter, just a game plan to start and a change that works.

We look 10x better off the ball under Wilder which needs to be the foundation upon which we build. We still don't really look much better with the ball, but he needs to get them working on the training ground and it'll come. Hopefully a few new faces can help with this

In fact I'd say we are less likely to get back up after relegation than if we'd kept hecky, Jack and Stuart McCall.... discuss....
Not sure how you work out that we’re “less likely” to go back up under Wilder? I stuck with Hecky for longer than most, partly because it was clear he’d been dealt a duff hand by the board with a squad woefully short of quality. That said, when the players throw the towel in the manager is done. An 8-0 and a 5-0 within a couple of months is difficult to stomach for players, fans and coaching staff. There was probably no way back from there.

Wilder gave me some of my best moments as a Blade. Repeating that won’t be easy but if there was someone better suited to the challenge, I’d love to know who?

Watching from afar, I'm in the belief that the difference so far is psychological.
You can train the skills, the techniques, the passing, finishing, movement etc,
but you can't coach 'belief' / 'confidence' / 'a winning mentality'...

Maybe PH was concentrating far too much on trying to nullify the opponent's
weaknesses rather than the strengths of the players he had to choose from?

This transfer-window could be the very most important one for SUFC in years.
Bring in players who can add not just a skill-set but also a 'winning mentality'
which may affect the rest of the squad.

The season's not over by a long way, i'm not yet convinced United are down,
only when it's mathematically impossible, then i'll accept, but not yet.

Wilder's achilles heel first time around was his obsession with British players/players who had experienced of English football. Three years on, it seems nothing has changed in this regard.

The foreign loan market is open to us and what does he do? Goes and brings in one of the relatively few British players who play abroad.

If he wants us to be a Premier League club long-term, he's going to have to start casting his net further.

Watching from afar, I'm in the belief that the difference so far is psychological.
You can train the skills, the techniques, the passing, finishing, movement etc,
but you can't coach 'belief' / 'confidence' / 'a winning mentality'...

Maybe PH was concentrating far too much on trying to nullify the opponent's
weaknesses rather than the strengths of the players he had to choose from?

This transfer-window could be the very most important one for SUFC in years.
Bring in players who can add not just a skill-set but also a 'winning mentality'
which may affect the rest of the squad.

The season's not over by a long way, i'm not yet convinced United are down,
only when it's mathematically impossible, then i'll accept, but not yet.

My view is that Hecky over relied on N'Diaye last season.
So when we lost N'Diaye and Berge a few days before the season started....it knocked the stuffing out of him.
From the start of the season.....Hecky realistically knew we had no chance. Sounds like he was also given sympathy from the owner and told that even if we're relegated we still expect to keep him to mount a promotion challenge next season.

So my view his that Hecky has coasted through this season just going through the motions
and his attitude of accepting defeat and accepting relegation has transferred over the players.

The problem is....once the rot has started regards accepting defeat.....then it can transfer over to next season.

The owner knows Wilder is bad loser.....he'll also genuinely believe we can still stay up.
This belief and thought process has transferred over to the players......so we're now much more competitive.

It's quite funny really.....we've improved by a long stretch but we're still poor.

Under Hecky.....thought we were so below PL standard it was shocking to see.
In fact I dont think we were anywhere near Championship standard.....we just didn't look like a team....and I was worried.

Now under Wilder....we now look like a poor (relegation type) PL team....this should be the minimum and
is what I expected under Hecky. As long as we remained competive...had a few attacks...a few shots.....then I'd have been fine to keep Hecky
but our performances were so poor (some of the worse I've seen in 50 years) that we had no choice to change managers.

Wilder's achilles heel first time around was his obsession with British players/players who had experienced of English football. Three years on, it seems nothing has changed in this regard.

The foreign loan market is open to us and what does he do? Goes and brings in one of the relatively few British players who play abroad.

If he wants us to be a Premier League club long-term, he's going to have to start casting his net further.
I agree that in the fullness of time, IF we end up reaching a point where we have a few years in the top division, that we'll need to look further afield which we've attempted to do this season without any success. Wigan were having success signing blokes like Valencia, Figeroa, Espinoza, Rodallega and Palacios from various places in South America and they were all pretty good so it's certainly an approach we ought to take if we can find some obscure talent, though that does mean Paul Mitchell will have to have a dig round the house for his passport.

At the moment though, I totally understand Wilder's logic in the short term which is to sign some known quantities and BBD falls into that category - we don't want another Retsos or Zivkovic on our hands.

Another correlation seems to be that managers by and large tend to be slightly biased, unconsciously or otherwise towards players from their own country or part of the world, right from when Mourinho came into Chelsea and straight away signed players like Deco, Carvalho, Ferreira, Hilario, Maniche and Tiago up to Thomas Frank having five Danish players in his squad.

Wigan were having success signing blokes like Valencia, Figeroa, Espinoza, Rodallega and Palacios from various places in South America and they were all pretty good so it's certainly an approach we ought to take if we can find some obscure talent, though that does mean Paul Mitchell will have to have a dig round the house for his passport.
They did have success in short term but look at what did happen to them in the long term? Now in League one and had more than one Points deductions

They did have success in short term but look at what did happen to them in the long term? Now in League one and had more than one Points deductions
They've had a damn sight more success than we've had in recent memory - 5 consecutive years in the Premier League and an FA Cup win.

All their downturn pretty much coincided with Dave Whelan retiring and letting his grandson run it rather than signing Wilson Palacios and Antonio Valencia. If anything, signing them and selling them on was what kept them where they were for so long.

Being relegated, poor managerial appointments and selling up to dodgy foreign owners (Dozy bullet dodged) was what snowballed their decline following relegation from the top flight rather than any foreign signings.

We are showing more effort thh, and I hope we improve, but thats not winning us games, if Wilder carries on into the championship and doesn't do much we need to get shut and forget all talk of bringing back so and so, warnock, Hecky etc and go with a new manager and let him bring his own ssystem and players in, forget Ndiaye, Berge and so, lets look to the future
Then again we might be promoted!

If there had been a miracle turnaround when the second coming of the prophet Wilder had happened it would have been a huge indictment of the current paying squad . Like the post I did after Burnley the team either gave up any remaining belief in staying up or Hecky lost the dressing room . Either way the only chance is surely a combination of new tactics, incoming better players and ultimately a belief we can get ourselves out of the shit . I’m not a Wilder fan but let’s judge him at the end of this torrid season

That Chile 🇨🇱 international forward followed by that Danish 🇩🇰 international goal keeper… his dedication to Britishness is offensive.

Back
Top Bottom