Why don't we ever bounce back?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's the attitude of the players and staff..

We don't bounce back because they normally lost the manager after relegation, this time before (good old chest beating Chris eh) Fulham get the cast offs from Chelsea and arsenal as do Palace and Watford, they've got Premier league quality rejects living down the smoke and they're better that what we could get, londons cast offs beat man city this weekend..

Watford had lukaku didn't they..

The bright lights eh..
No Watford never had Lukaku , WBA did though

Yeah that’s true Bassett/ Kendall, but the point was that each time we’ve gone for a big change in style.

Seem to remember that Kendall got money to spend which didn’t happen under Bassett (due I think to Macdonald coming in)

edit or was that later under spackman? Pretty sure Hutchinson was in under Kendall
After Warnock, McCabe lurched from one style of manager to another consistently.

I just hope this doesn't happen this time around. Some natives are already twitchy with passing football from the back.

I can genuinely see some fruit bats clamouring for Mick McCarthy to replace Slav soon.

Yes I do, and I dont think it is a bad thing....
As long as the Ups kinda match the Downs on the bloody yo-yo.

Football isn't really about winning (or no one would ever bother about most teams or matches) but it is about a sense of excitement.
Yes I tend to agree ,unless we come across some wealthy new backers.Even when we finished 9th in the prem it’s because we was hugely over achieving.And it showed the following season.

I never expected us to bounce straight back up but I thought we'd be higher in the Championship than we currently are.. We very rarely do things the easy way.
How many points off the play-offs would have been acceptable at this stage?

I'd say somewhere just outside the playoff zone, so 7th to 10th which is 23 to 21 points.
We are currently 6 points of a play off place (and coincidentally 5th place as well). 6th place currently has 24 points which is the lowest total after 15 games since 2016. 5th place with 24 is the lowest total after 15 games since 2007.

For the past 2 seasons, 17th place has 17 and 18 points but the gap was 9 and 7 points. The gap this year from 19th (Preston) to 5th (Huddersfield) is the closest since the current format was introduced in 2005.

And for a Slav conparitor, after 15 games in 2017, Fulham were in 16th position on 19 points, 6 points behind the play-off spot.

We are currently 6 points of a play off place (and coincidentally 5th place as well). 6th place currently has 24 points which is the lowest total after 15 games since 2016. 5th place with 24 is the lowest total after 15 games since 2007.

For the past 2 seasons, 17th place has 17 and 18 points but the gap was 9 and 7 points. The gap this year from 19th (Preston) to 5th (Huddersfield) is the closest since the current format was introduced in 2005.

And for a Slav conparitor, after 15 games in 2017, Fulham were in 16th position on 19 points, 6 points behind the play-off spot.

Like I said previously, "I thought we'd be higher in the Championship than we currently are" facts won't change my opinion.

After Warnock, McCabe lurched from one style of manager to another consistently.

I just hope this doesn't happen this time around. Some natives are already twitchy with passing football from the back.

I can genuinely see some fruit bats clamouring for Mick McCarthy to replace Slav soon.
I think with Slav, some of his methods perhaps work well on paper, but not immediately... or at all. You have to appreciate the level of some of our players when playing the ball to centre halves from Goal Kicks in the area. He'd be better off having Fleck and Norwood in the area for Goal kicks as they are used to playing passes that get us out. For years Egan has played the short ball to Norwood (or Bash/ JOC), then Norwood takes over and brings others into play with a more intricate pass.

Slav is figuring out the capabilities now though... slowly. But the results will drive an owner to make a change. We just need to keep with Slav and build what he needs. It will work better than jumping to a different type of manager again.

I know. Its horrible when facts ruin someone perception isn't it.
How has it ruined an opinion I held? If someone said before the season kicked off that we'd be 17th on 18 points, I'd think many people would say they would've expected us to be doing better.

I think with Slav, some of his methods perhaps work well on paper, but not immediately... or at all. You have to appreciate the level of some of our players when playing the ball to centre halves from Goal Kicks in the area. He'd be better off having Fleck and Norwood in the area for Goal kicks as they are used to playing passes that get us out. For years Egan has played the short ball to Norwood (or Bash/ JOC), then Norwood takes over and brings others into play with a more intricate pass.

Slav is figuring out the capabilities now though... slowly. But the results will drive an owner to make a change. We just need to keep with Slav and build what he needs. It will work better than jumping to a different type of manager again.
Totally agree.

The last four relegations we’ve sacked three manager from the relegation season and started again:

Bassett/ Kendall
Warnock/ Robson
Adams/ Wilson
Wilder/ Slav

Very brief look at that, we pretty much take a different direction in style of play when we sack the previous manager. It’s like the owners almost panic into getting someone that plays diffently to the last manager.

In itself, fine, but when you’ve got a manager (Bassett, Warnock, Wilder) who’s been in place for a long time, it means that the players are all accustomed to the the previous managers style and tactics.

We’re definitely seeing the team adapt to Slav’s methods but we also have many players that don’t fit or can’t seem to fit in with it.

Slav was definitely brought in too late. We should’ve had him in when Wilder departed to at least get a head start on his rebuilding plan.

Bassett wasn't sacked and did not leave until December in our second season after relegation.

By the time he resigned our record in that second season was W5 D3 L13.

He was in charge for a total of 67 league games after relegation.

Plenty of clubs come down and struggle though. Look at Stoke and Huddersfield for example, both have been hovering around lower mid-table since they came down. Can see us having a similar fate.
Huddersfield never expected to get promoted and as a result couldn't overhaul their squad fast enough to make a fist of staying up beyond the second season. The momentum which got them up kept them up but when they ran of out steam they crashed back down carrying expensive players whose performances didn't warrant the money they were costing. Their record signing ended up being sold at a massive loss. That's our current plight.

The thing which makes the difference is threefold: firstly, having a squad capable of gaining promotion; secondly, the ability of the clubs' owners to fund the losses incumbent in keeping a PL squad together and finally the ability of that club to attract new players (generally on loan) to improve. That's why Villa, Fulham, Bournemouth, Norwich and West Brom have done OK. We fail on 1 & 2.

Back
Top Bottom