Where does Billy Sharp rank?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sharp's next league goal will be his 250th: he will be the 46th player to reach this milestone. He will join Joe Bradford (Birmingham's record scorer who played at roughly the same time as Harry Johnson) and Kevin Philips on that number.

Currently playing in top 4 divisions, 200+ English league goals:

Billy Sharp 249
Harry Kane 209
Jordan Rhodes 202

If I were a betting man, I would guess Kane passes Sharp at some point. A lot will depend on when Billy stops, of course.

It’s hard to process those kind of numbers isn’t it once they get so big. Every club out there is constantly on the search for a 20 goal a season striker, and every striker can hope at best to have ten years at their peak.

Billy’s numbers are basically the equivalent of scoring over 20 goals a season for 12 seasons IN A ROW. Insane.

And he isn’t done yet. He could easily (as much as I’d not like to see it) leave us at the end of the season and nearly match his wage at Salford or Wrexham in league two and get 50-60 more goals over two seasons down there. He’s certainly fit enough and I don’t see the point in getting to the fittest he’s been in his entire career just to retire.

Sharp's next league goal will be his 250th: he will be the 46th player to reach this milestone. He will join Joe Bradford (Birmingham's record scorer who played at roughly the same time as Harry Johnson) and Kevin Philips on that number.

Billy Sharp 249
Harry Kane 209
Jordan Rhodes 202

If I were a betting man, I would guess Kane passes Sharp at some point. A lot will depend on when Billy stops, of course.
I wonder if he fancies getting the better of ex-Blade McFadzean to get to 250 and get Gillespie and Tunstall in his sights.

That would already be some feat. I fear Dunne, Edwards and Pace will not be attainable.

I wonder if he fancies getting the better of ex-Blade McFadzean to get to 250 and get Gillespie and Tunstall in his sights.

That would already be some feat. I fear Dunne, Edwards and Pace will not be attainable.
McFadzean didn't play in last game? Maybe he was suspended?

If it hadn’t have been for Idiot Blackwell he’d have gone past them all by now.
I hated Blackwell but tbf on this point we had a better striker in Beattie and Sharp wasn't half the player he turned out to be. I think if we appointed Sean o Driscoll back when Donny were doing well it might have been different.

Honestly read that as Sharp and Kyle McFadzean being in a straight shoot out for first to 250 goals. When did that happen?

Billy should really be our all time leading scorer. Him having scored more league goals for other clubs than United is so fucking dumb on the clubs part

I hated Blackwell but tbf on this point we had a better striker in Beattie and Sharp wasn't half the player he turned out to be. I think if we appointed Sean o Driscoll back when Donny were doing well it might have been different.

and we ended up with neither Beattie or Sharp but Darius Henderson.

The partnership of Cotterill on the wing and Sharp in the box would have been very productive under virtually any manager bar the fucking clown Hoofy who managed to rid us of both due to his bullying and just general cuntery.

Billy was sold 6 months after we let Beattie go

Billy was sold 6 months after we let Beattie go
Yes, that's my O'Driscoll point. I knew somebody who knew the Donny owner and after his successful loan Billy had no intention of staying at United. He probably would have with O'Driscoll.

Before his loan Sharp was largely ineffective with us (not all his fault). He wasn't playing as the main man, and not many managers would have picked Sharp ahead of Beattie. After Beattie was gone I don't think there was an easy way back and Sharp imo made the best choice for his career.

and we ended up with neither Beattie or Sharp but Darius Henderson.

The partnership of Cotterill on the wing and Sharp in the box would have been very productive under virtually any manager bar the fucking clown Hoofy who managed to rid us of both due to his bullying and just general cuntery.
I was a big fan of cotterill, he didn't get enough game time imo because when he did Beattie had it on a plate. Sharp at this time though when he did get on was constantly offside or trying to win the ball at the corner flag. Donny then focused everything around him and he got the goals, he was never going to be that for us whilst we had a striker of Beatties quality in the squad and like I said in my other post by the time Beattie was gone it was already too late. We basically signed Henderson because he was rated by the likes of Morgan as being the toughest striker to go against. Who would have thought a striker with talent and a knack of scoring would be better than a brute.

Reasonable to think he could get to 6th all time?

It really shouldn’t annoy me as much as it does that Billy could easily have been our all time record goal scorer if we’d not stupidly sold him twice and misused him in the early days.

You could argue that Billy learnt from the experiences at other clubs.

Something I don't think he would dispute is that he is now fitter than he was even 6 years ago.

However you only have to look at his record pre and post when he was signed under Robson and sold under Blackwell to see he very much could still score.

Blackwell was a weird one with him, when he first joined as manager he played him and actually got him scoring with his confidence back.
I remember him something along the lines of him being worth 6m after he scored in the Barnsley away match.

Season after which though he was started well and then Blackwell mainly used him from the bench.

Blackwell was a weird manager, he wasn't all bad but sounds an odd sort to say the least.

Billy Sharp 249
Harry Kane 209
Jordan Rhodes 202

Did I read somewhere recently that Billy had said he wants to stay at Bramall Lane til the end of his career? In which case he may not get that many more goals (not writing him off, just being realistic). As has been stated, even when his playing time is done he will be a huge asset to the team behind the scenes mentoring the youth etc. Maybe we should give him a few months at Donny on loan or something, banging them in for fun just to stay ahead of Kane

Would have hated him getting 5 or 10 minutes every now and again. Behind someone who isn’t fit to lace his boots 👀!

It’s the right time to move on.

GLTTL.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom