Where does Billy Sharp rank?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Joint 9th all time:

Harry Johnson 201
Alan Woodward 158
Keith Edwards 143/144
Jimmy Dunne 143
Derek Pace 140
Fred Tunstall 129
Billy Gillespie 127
Jimmy Hagan 117
Jock Dodds 113
Billy Sharp 113

Revolution Jr is 19 years old. His favourite player is Billy Sharp.

After the game on Saturday I reminded Revolution Jr that when his Great Grandad was 19 years old - in 1937 - his favourite player was Jock Dodds.

From a family perspective, it is nice to see the 2 players tied for goals.

30+ league goals in a season for United:

Jimmy Dunne 36 (1929-30), 41 (1930-31) and 33 (1931-2)
Harry Johnson 33 (1927-8) and 31 (1928-9)
Keith Edwards 35 (1981-2) and 33/34 (1983-4)
Jock Dodds 33 (1935-6)
Billy Sharp 30 (2016-7)

Last edited:
Edwards set up a lot of teammates by dint of the fact that in his second spell he took our corners.

Agree...and Edwards rarely ever took a penalty.
We had Colin Morris and even Tony Kenworthy who were brilliant at penalties...can't remember either one missing
both would calmly pass it just inside the post giving their keeper little chance.....so there was no reason to ask KE to take them.

Just imagine what Edward's scoring total would have been if he took penalties and if he'd been in the box when we had a corner.

Also agree....with the earlier comment...that Sharp's legendary status has much to do with his influential leadership behaviour off the pitch
in tandem with what he's done on the pitch. So Sharp will always be appreciated and can walk around Sheffield with his head held high.

Agree...and Edwards rarely ever took a penalty.
We had Colin Morris and even Tony Kenworthy who were brilliant at penalties...can't remember either one missing
both would calmly pass it just inside the post giving their keeper little chance.....so there was no reason to ask KE to take them.

Just imagine what Edward's scoring total would have been if he took penalties and if he'd been in the box when we had a corner.

Also agree....with the earlier comment...that Sharp's legendary status has much to do with his influential leadership behaviour off the pitch
in tandem with what he's done on the pitch. So Sharp will always be appreciated and can walk around Sheffield with his head held high.
Edwards took, and scored, 2 penalties for us in the league.

If he’d been on pens in the 2 promotion seasons he’d have had 40 plus. I think Morris took 13 (scoring 10) in 1984. Kenworthy took 10, missing only one, in 1982 but some were before Edwards signed I think.

I think Sharp has scored in the region of 17 pens for us in the league.

Remember Keith scoring a pen at the Old Show Ground (in a 1-1 draw, or 1-0 defeat in knobhead world) but can't recall any more. Who was No2 against?
1985-6 v Hull, for his hat trick in a 3-1 win. Morris had been subbed off.

The other was indeed a 1-1 draw at Scunny.

Kenworthy missed twice I think (one of them at Mansfield), Morris failed to convert his penalty 12 times but often scored from the rebound after the keeper saved his effort

Last edited:
Joint 9th all time:

Harry Johnson 201
Alan Woodward 158
Keith Edwards 143/144
Jimmy Dunne 143
Derek Pace 140
Fred Tunstall 129
Billy Gillespie 127
Jimmy Hagan 117
Jock Dodds 113
Billy Sharp 113

Revolution Jr is 19 years old. His favourite player is Billy Sharp.

After the game on Saturday I reminded Revolution Jr that when his Great Grandad was 19 years old - in 1937 - his favourite player was Jock Dodds.

From a family perspective, it is nice to see the 2 players tied for goals.

30+ league goals in a season for United:

Jimmy Dunne 36 (1929-30), 41 (1930-31) and 33 (1931-2)
Harry Johnson 33 (1927-8) and 31 (1928-9)
Keith Edwards 35 (1981-2) and 33/34 (1983-4)
Jock Dodds 33 (1935-6)
Billy Sharp 30 (2016-7)

Incredible that one man has a third of all our 30+ league goal seasons.

Indeed, only 6 of those seasons are in the top flight, aren't then (Dunne's three, both of Johnson's and Dodds'). So Jimmy Dunne has half of our 30+ goal top flight seasons by himself.

He did it in consecutive seasons, too. As far as I know, no-one repeated that feat until Alan Shearer managed it.

Incredible that one man has a third of all our 30+ league goal seasons.

Indeed, only 6 of those seasons are in the top flight, aren't then (Dunne's three, both of Johnson's and Dodds'). So Jimmy Dunne has half of our 30+ goal top flight seasons by himself.

He did it in consecutive seasons, too. As far as I know, no-one repeated that feat until Alan Shearer managed it.
Dodds' 33 was in Division 2.

You're right re Shearer - he's the only player to get 30 3 years in a row in the top flight since Dunne did it.

Dunne, Johnson and to a lesser extent Dodds' goalscoring feats were aided by the change in the offside law from 3 players to 2 in 1925. Many of the season and all time scoring records were set between 1925 and 1939 when goalscoring was really high in historical terms. It took 20 years for defences to catch up!

Jock Dodds firmly in the rear view mirror now:

Harry Johnson 201
Alan Woodward 158
Keith Edwards 143/144
Jimmy Dunne 143
Derek Pace 140
Fred Tunstall 129
Billy Gillespie 127
Jimmy Hagan 117
Billy Sharp 115
Jock Dodds 113

I said above that Jock Dodds was my Grandad's favourite player when he was 19. His all time favourite player was, of course, Jimmy Hagan. If you have a relative born between about 1915 and 1940, and they were a Blade, then it's likely their all time favourite player is Jimmy Hagan too, and it's likely that they say that Jimmy Hagan is the best Blades player they've ever seen. My Grandad said that. His son, Revolution Snr, also still says that. Billy Sharp said last week that Hagan was his Grandad's favourite. He's Billy's next target.

Last edited:
Jock Dodds firmly in the rear view mirror now:

Harry Johnson 201
Alan Woodward 158
Keith Edwards 143/144
Jimmy Dunne 143
Derek Pace 140
Fred Tunstall 129
Billy Gillespie 127
Jimmy Hagan 117
Billy Sharp 115
Jock Dodds 113

I said above that Jock Dodds was my Grandad's favourite player when he was 19. His all time favourite player was, of course, Jimmy Hagan. If you have a relative born between about 1915 and 1940, and they were a Blade, then it's likely their all time favourite player is Jimmy Hagan too, and it's likely that they say that Jimmy Hagan is the best Blades player they've ever seen. My Grandad said that. His son, Revolution Snr, also still says that. Billy Sharp said last week that Hagan was his Grandad's favourite. He's Billy's next target.
Yep, my dad will be watching on from his celestial grandstand slightly concerned with that young ragamuffin Billy Sharp closing in on his hero. Meanwhile, another 13 would mean that Sharpy could legitimately claim to be United's Best Billy.

Come on Billy, get a 5th minute goal!

This can't be true, surely?

What about players like Dixie Dean, Jimmy Greaves, Gerd Muller and Robert Lewandowski?

CR7 and Zlatan can't be the only two players who have achieved this feat.

In the 80's I spoke to loads of older relatives and friends, some were very grounded and not prone to exaggeration.
They were all big Tony Currie fans (obviously) but everyone said that Jimmy Hagan was better.
Although I reckon the standard was lower (easier to impress) in the 40's (Hagan's era) compared to the 70's (Currie's era).

They said that Hagan was unlucky in that one of the greatest ever England players ever (Tom Finney) played in his position, so Hagan rarely played for England.

Another interesting point I heard a few years ago related to the late great Bobby Moore.
Moore was arguably the greatest centre back England ever had and think he was the record England caps holder before Peter Shilton broke it.

However if Duncan Edwards (many say England's greatest ever teenager) had survived the Munich air disaster in 1958, then he would have very likely been England's regular centre back and captain. Just shows how history could have been so different with Bobby Moore's England appearances being limited, like Hagan's was.

In the 80's I spoke to loads of older relatives and friends, some were very grounded and not prone to exaggeration.
They were all big Tony Currie fans (obviously) but everyone said that Jimmy Hagan was better.
I remember during the early 1970s my dad and I were just about to go in our local barbers, we bumped into an elderly man who my dad knew. My dad was telling me that the elderly man is a big fan of Jimmy Hagan, then this man pointed his walking stick at me saying "Hagan played for 85 minutes every game and TC plays for only 5 mins every game". When we went separate ways, my dad chuckled and told me that the old man was just exaggerating!

Scored today and think the break has helped get him a bit more up to speed.
I was thinking this might be the case, I was even tempted to put a bet on him scoring today. Wish I did. Although even a £10 bet would prob only have got me £50 at a guess.

He's obviously at the end of his career might still have another season in him after this possibly whether that is here or elsewhere.

However this season still has a role to play he showed that today. Off the field always has a role for me.

Back
Top Bottom