When did we stop playing this when the Blades came out?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some on here are just bloody Philistines .
Bet half of you don't even know the words too " Sheffield my Sheffield".......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Being a sad twat, I googled that and it doesn't sound like the right version.

Sounds like some Wurzel type turnip mucnher and not the proper Yarkshur choral version that I remember from my yoof.

Did you just pick that one from Google, or are you actually saying that was the version we ran out to in the 70s and 80s?

Being a sad twat, I googled that and it doesn't sound like the right version.

Sounds like some Wurzel type turnip mucnher and not the proper Yarkshur choral version that I remember from my yoof.

Did you just pick that one from Google, or are you actually saying that was the version we ran out to in the 70s and 80s?

Glory be. It is sung by old Ned. Don't yer know.

He was very old.

HH

Lets go with this with the words, Rumptie dumptie dumpie doo, rumptie dumptie da da.........

'Barwick Green' it's called and I didn't have to look it up, seared in mi brain.
Bloody BBC Light Programme, took off, 'Dick Barton, Special Agent', swash buckling, daring do British agent and replaced it with The Archers much to the distain of a 9/10 year old lad.
Can you find the theme for D. Barton, please, as I'm technically inept. Thank you very kindly, sure you would agree it would make a fine run out theme for the Blades and supporters could compose lyrics to sing along too.

Last edited:
'Barwick Green' it's called and I didn't have to look it up, seared in mi brain.
Bloody BBC Light Programme, took off, 'Dick Barton, Special Agent', swash buckling, daring do British agent and replaced it with The Archers much to the distain of a 9/10 year old lad.
Can you find the theme for D. Barton, please, as I'm technically inept. Thank you very kindly, sure you would agree it would make a fine run out theme for the Blades and supporters could compose lyrics to sing along too.
There you go. It's the TV version but same tune I believe.

I recall us running out to it up until around the mid-80’s.

As has been pointed out, Ilkley Moor is West Yorkshire but the song seemed to have a wider Yorkshire identity back in the day. I have all the words burnt into my memory through it being taught in Music lessons at Meersbrook Bank school in the late 70’s/early 80’s.
Yep - We deffo ran out to it when I started going regularly in 1982, no idea when it stopped.

I was surprised when we started using Wolfmother as I didn't even know that song was particularly known over here (I was in Australia when it came out there and it was everywhere, but I've rarely heard it since coming back apart from in a few films). It works well as an entrance theme because of the really long intro and using the instrumental version means it doesn't really matter how long it takes the players to actually appear. The shit we used before was awful when it would start playing, then if the players didn't immediately come out, they'd stop it and start again when they actually started to come out of the tunnel, sounded really amateurish.

Absolutely despise that No Mercy crap we play before the entrance music, although that's partly because of the bad speakers/volume combo at the Lane and the tacky commentary bits played over it. The Premier League anthem is rubbish too, and kind of gets in the way of all teams' entrance/team news music.

Star Wars is perfect for night games when it's dark, we should still use it sometimes, don't see why we have to stick to a single track for every game.

The older element may remember more than I do, but when I started going in the early 70s (1971) I don't remember it being used much if at all, certainly by the mid 70s it had ceased bar the odd occasion.

When I started going t't lane it was the blues brothers tune we came out to, dave kilner on the mic with stan the man and steve thompson waddling out of the tunnel like tweedle dumb and tweedle dee 🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom