what it is to be a Blade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For some reason anytime the OP's question gets asked I get reminded of this clip from the thin blue line about football.

"From not quite disaster, to complete disaster."

"We don't need some vast superbowl with a great big electronic sign that says "fwaaaah! Go-ooo!" We're quite happy to gather together in small groups on a wet Saturday and be a bit sad." :D

The other bet I have each week (at home matches) is the away team to be winning at HT and United to win at FT usually get odds of 18/1, it pays out 3/4 times each season.

I have a dabble with the fixed odds some weeks, my cardinal rule is never bet on the Blades. Still a bloody fools errand though as it's usually the "bankers" that let me down!

It means Kevin McCabe having the best interests of my club at heart
It's holding on to and idolising key players, and striving for big aspirations
And where that isn't possible it's protecting the best interests of this club and ensuring we get a bloomin' good deal
It's winning promotion, especially through the playoffs
It's hearing big promises and talk of promotion in June
It's hearing of "we tried for one or two, but..." come late August
It's waving a fond goodbye to your star player come the 1st of September...
...and warmly welcoming the vastly experienced journeyman replacement in on loan a week later
It's hearing talk of cutting our cloth accordingly come the Autumn
It's hearing "no one can force a player to stay", come January
It's the excitement of the next managerial appointment come May
It's watching the transfer activity warm up again the following June, wondering what we're waiting for
It's being outbid for transfer targets by Charlton and Wigan
It's the chance to wrestle with the footballing might of Fleetwood and Yeovil
It's the hope of one day emulating the achievements of Burton and Brentford
It's watching the youngsters come through, and fight for a shirt...
...and taking wagers on which one will be sold first
It's the occasional cup run
It's seeing Deane and Fjortoft sold on the same day.

It's fucking brilliant, really.

What a first class knobhead.

The other bet I have each week (at home matches) is the away team to be winning at HT and United to win at FT usually get odds of 18/1, it pays out 3/4 times each season.

We didnt come from behind to win once last season did we so your bet lost every single time last year? :(

Now I know people would like to go up through the automatic spots and I'm no different but i really would like to taste success through the playoffs, now that would be one of the greatest parties ever to be seen on planet earth.

Fuck it, automatics it is then.

Now I know people would like to go up through the automatic spots and I'm no different but i really would like to taste success through the playoffs, now that would be one of the greatest parties ever to be seen on planet earth.

Fuck it, automatics it is then.

You and I both mate!!!

its easy to criticise pick fault look at past mistakes

but supporting is getting on with it
putting things that happened where they belong , behind us
its starting a season with hope , expectation , a desire to push the club forward
its a love affair,

I find the constant parade of who we have sold mind numbingly boring
like United are the only club that sells players
but we only sell our best is the cry
so do the others , they are the ones you get money for, well dah

lets show our love for sufc and give them support ,
defined in the dictionary
If you support a sports team or a sports player, you want them to win, and might show it by going to watch them play:
Give encouragement and cheer them on.

The dictionary people dont get out much it seems

its easy to criticise pick fault look at past mistakes

but supporting is getting on with it
putting things that happened where they belong , behind us
its starting a season with hope , expectation , a desire to push the club forward
its a love affair,

I find the constant parade of who we have sold mind numbingly boring
like United are the only club that sells players
but we only sell our best is the cry
so do the others , they are the ones you get money for, well dah

lets show our love for sufc and give them support ,
defined in the dictionary
If you support a sports team or a sports player, you want them to win, and might show it by going to watch them play:
Give encouragement and cheer them on.

The dictionary people dont get out much it seems

Most people on here go and encourage them far more than you do. You come on here and spout propaganda trying to tell others what to think and say and try to stamp out any criticism of the club no matter how valid. That doesn't make you more of a supporter. Many of us are there week in week out getting behind the team and then venting our frustration on here. Nothing wrong at all with that.

It's mostly a sense of belonging but to something that has meaning, depth, history, longevity (generations) and an identity that you can fully associate with.

I was born and raised in Sheffield and left when I went to Uni and then on to work. My folks still live in Sheffield but my son was born in Worcestershire - although he now lives and works in Leeds
His first game (not at the ground) was an FA Cup Match vs Man Utd which he gurgled at, resplendent in a Blades baby grow, as his Dad watched us come from 1 down to beat ManUre 2-1 with goals from Hoyland and Hodges.
His first actual game was at BDTBL - Tuesday night, under the floodlights, vs Stockport County where Shaun Murphy scored the winner - a header from a corner - only 13,500 there that night but from then on he was hooked.
The sight of the green pitch under floodlights, the noises, the hustle and bustle, the energy of the place. It's all quite mesmerising to a 7 year old. The trip back in the car as you fall asleep with your Dad driving you home safe.
It's the togetherness, the shared experience, the connected world of it.
As you get older you share a beer before and after the game and talk tactics, players, managers, discuss incidents and reminisce on games past and look forward to games yet to come.
It's renewing the experience, repeatedly, when you can. Something that you share - a bond that sets you off close and keeps you closer.

The pain and the disappointment?
Fuck it.

Agree with this. Football and one’s own football club in particular is definitely a means of bonding. I’ve developed friendships with work colleagues because they are blades and we discuss nowt else. I take my lad to games (though he’s not that interested yet- just likes night games cos he gets to stay up past his bedtime). When my dad visits Sheffield, if it falls right he comes to the Lane with me. I see my brother and sister in law and several mates at the football and often go for a beer after. The social element and having a common interest that we are all so passionate about is what makes it worthwhile.

I remember going to the globe in town then heading towards bramall lane, seeing everyone with same excitement building inside, singing even when we where losing, two games stick in my memory and I will remember like they were yesterday, the pigs when brownie scored the volly and against Leeds the jags screamer, never felt more like I belonged in my life, I have lots of other fond memories, but those two really stick out.

That was a real special season. Some great moments. On top of the 2 you mention, the “Oh my god” v Forest was something really special.

Although the first time I felt truly part of a really special atmosphere under the lights at the lane was the quarter final against Coventry in 98. We’d got a nobody caretaker in charge after Spackman walked. Our fantastic side had been ravaged by the loss of Whitehouse, Deane and Fjortoft and we went from looking like automatic promotion candidates to lucky to make the playoffs. Drawn away from home against a Coventry side on the best run in their history having beaten the likes of Man United on their way to (I think) 8 consecutive wins. Dublin and Huckerby were scoring for fun. I was certain we’d get hammered but we managed a draw after Marcelo pegged them back, Kelly made a Gordon Banksesque save from Dublin and Katchouro wasted a great chance to win it at the death by failing to outrun a 40 year old ‘keeper. So a replay at the lane on St Patrick’s day. 1-0 down in the first half after Paul Telfer hit one from miles out and Kelly was fooled by the bounce. Deep in injry time and the lane was emptying when we got a corner. Wayne Quinn floated it over and Roger Nilsen managed to get the better of Dion Dublin in the air before a thumping volley from Holdsworth pulled us level. The ground absolutely erupted. We were on cloud 9 and the sound from the home fans throughout extra time was deafening. Then the shootout. Twenty odd thousand blades chanting “Ireland’s number 1” on St Patrick’s day as Alan pulled out the heroics saving 3 penalties. We went absolutely mental. Fans on the pitch. Kelly being passed over the crowd as part of the celebrations. What a night. It's a feeling you just can’t get any other way.

Fine line between optimism and madness ;)

He was one of my favourite players of the time. Good job I was too young to bet as I might have joined the daft bet club.

Always remember his goal-line clearance against the dirties when we came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Flo and Gayle scoring.

He was one of my favourite players of the time. Good job I was too young to bet as I might have joined the daft bet club.

Always remember his goal-line clearance against the dirties when we came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Flo and Gayle scoring.

He must have been thirty odd to one, I thought he was bound to score at some point!! A very good player though, superb.

Most people on here go and encourage them far more than you do. You come on here and spout propaganda trying to tell others what to think and say and try to stamp out any criticism of the club no matter how valid. That doesn't make you more of a supporter. Many of us are there week in week out getting behind the team and then venting our frustration on here. Nothing wrong at all with that.

where do I tell people what to say
just urging on our supporters to support from a fresh start
never said how

I even mocked the definition

you read far too much into things

where do I tell people what to say
just urging on our supporters to support from a fresh start
never said how

you read far too much into things

You're constantly having a go at anyone who criticises your hero (McCabe). You post factually inaccurate nonsense, draw ridiculous comparisons, completely miss the point of what people are saying and make out our support is a problem and the board are blameless save for putting their faith in the wrong manager. You spout "positivity" but when it's not going to plan you're one of the first to turn on the manager and call for him to be sacked instead of having patience to let a manager build something.

You're constantly having a go at anyone who criticises your hero (McCabe). You post factually inaccurate nonsense, draw ridiculous comparisons, completely miss the point of what people are saying and make out our support is a problem and the board are blameless save for putting their faith in the wrong manager. You spout "positivity" but when it's not going to plan you're one of the first to turn on the manager and call for him to be sacked instead of having patience to let a manager build something.

Im having a go

lets get the blades from the start

so whats your advice
wait for the first stray pass and get stuck in with some abuse

Adkins failed miserably to plug holes every football fan could see
He was incompetent, not one signing after kick off day till he loaned Baptiste 3 months too late
Ive said all along mccabes made loads of mistakes , Adkins was one of them
but boards pick managers to do a job , in good faith
they werent to know he was completely spent and bereft of ideas

Seriously, I'm amazed that our 'marketing department' (if such a thing exists) haven't made far more capital of our central location. Sure, the Council will never lay on a dedicated Supertram link like they have at S6 to ferry the great unwashed from Southey Green, Parson Cross etc. to the great rusting hulk, but the Lowfields/Bramall Lane area is a seriously up-and-coming area. For those who haven't been near the ground over summer, a significant, Chinese-backed development (New Era Square) is sprouting up at the Bramall Lane/St Mary's roundabout end. The 'core' (lift shafts, services etc.) has just 'topped out' at twenty two storeys high. If Argos put a tin shed up at the end of Halifax Road, we'd never hear the end of it.

Who is promoting this?

Seriously, I'm amazed that our 'marketing department' (if such a thing exists) haven't made far more capital of our central location. Sure, the Council will never lay on a dedicated Supertram like like they have at S6 to ferry the great unwashed from Southey Green, Parson Cross etc.to the great rusting hulk, but the Lowfields/Bramall Lane area is a seriously up-and-coming area. For those who haven't been near the ground over summer, a significant, Chinese-backed development (New Era Square) is sprouting up at the Bramall Lane/St Mary's roundabout end. The 'core' (lift shafts, services etc.) has just 'topped out' at twenty two storeys high. If Argos put a tin shed up at the end of Halifax Road, we'd never hear the end of it.

Who is promoting this?
They're keeping it quiet until we've sorted out the new site just off the M1.

for me it runs in my mum's and my dad's family they're both from sheffield but i don't live in sheffield i live in rotherham and travel for an hour to bramall lane on saturdays to watch the mighty blades i've seen my share of ups and downs and had some great memories throughout the years 02/03 triple assault season (my first ever season watching the blades) when my uncle started taking me to the lane or 05/06 when we won promotion back to the premier league and have had the bad memories over the years 10/11 when we were relagated to league one and being at work with my dad for the play off final the following season listening to the match on radio sheff when simmo missed his penalty and we were speechless for about an hour. But even through all of that i have never regretted supporting united and will never stop supporting them. Once a Blade Always a Blade UTB

for me it runs in my mum's and my dad's family they're both from sheffield but i don't live in sheffield i live in rotherham and travel for an hour to bramall lane on saturdays to watch the mighty blades i've seen my share of ups and downs and had some great memories throughout the years 02/03 triple assault season (my first ever season watching the blades) when my uncle started taking me to the lane or 05/06 when we won promotion back to the premier league and have had the bad memories over the years 10/11 when we were relagated to league one and being at work with my dad for the play off final the following season listening to the match on radio sheff when simmo missed his penalty and we were speechless for about an hour. But even through all of that i have never regretted supporting united and will never stop supporting them. Once a Blade Always a Blade UTB

It takes you an hour from Rotherham?

the boarder control at Sheffield, you are checked for any thing that might effect the Sheffield eco system and they count fingers and toes and then you get you passport and temp visa signed and you are allowed in Sheffield for a few hours or until the last X78 to take you back in the joy's of Rotherham, and I should know I also lived there for long enough.

half an hour on bus from mine to get to rotherham i live in ravenfield on the edge of rotherham then 15 mins on train and about 10/15 min walk from train station

Im having a go

lets get the blades from the start

so whats your advice
wait for the first stray pass and get stuck in with some abuse

Adkins failed miserably to plug holes every football fan could see
He was incompetent, not one signing after kick off day till he loaned Baptiste 3 months too late
Ive said all along mccabes made loads of mistakes , Adkins was one of them
but boards pick managers to do a job , in good faith
they werent to know he was completely spent and bereft of ideas

Why is it that in pretty much everything you post, you manage to include illiterate ramblings and factual inaccuracies?

We signed Edgar 3 days after the season kicked off. We also signed Hammond in October. Why say we made no signings? What do you hope to gain by telling such easily detected lies?

I’ve never suggested that we boo or abuse players. I’ve always advocated getting behind the team. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be critical on here if we see fit. It’s a forum for discussion. That should include positive and negative where appropriate. If a signing looks uninspiring on paper, it’s fine to say so. If people are concerned with our recruitment, it’s also fine to say so. That doesn’t preclude them from getting behind the team. Most of us are there week in week out getting behind them, providing more encouragement than you.

Back
Top Bottom