Match Thread West Bromwich Albion vs Sheffield United - 28 November 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WES
WES
WES

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1606162752123.png v. 1606162759533.png
EPL Week 10 - Saturday 28th November 2020 - The Hawthornes

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/west-bromwich-albion-vs-sheffield-united.518/

Officials:

Referee:
Mike Dean
Assistant Referee: Darren Cann
Assistant Referee: Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Gavin Ward
Video Assistant Referee: Martin Atkinson
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Ian Hussin

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

1606519710197.png

Last edited:

How sad is it that, even given how poor they have been this season, we look distinct second-favourites?
Unbelievable turnaround from last season. Didn't see it coming, even after our finish last season.
Please Chris, no more 'Walking McBurnie'. At least give us a chance to play some proper football with 11 men.
We can still do it, can't we?

UTB

You definitely can still do it. However, you've really got to start winning some games, starting with WBA, who I do think you'll beat.
One thing, after one point in nine games, if you do go on to stay up, that will be a fantastic achievement in itself.
Come on Blades, 3 lovely points on Saturday night!

I might watch Strictly instead :D

Seriously though this game is huge. Really want to see a settled side now instead of us shuffling the deckchairs - lets settle on an XI and stick to it.

Please don't play McBurnie and McGoldrick up front together, they are too slow.

This is one of those games that we need to win just not to embarrass ourselves.

Robinson nailed on to have a stormer, Kyle Bartley will win every ball we lump up towards him.

Want to see more of this type of situation with a better end product.

Ramsdale picking out Fleck in good space and punching directly beyond West Ham's press:

1606213670228.png

Giving us a great opportunity to progress 30/40 yards unchallenged to stretch the game:

6 on 6 at this point. Instead of going wide I'd have liked to have seen us play inside to Berge through the middle to commit one of their CB's into coming out of position.

1606213736899.png

Instead, we force it wide allowing West Ham to regroup and we don't get enough bodies in and around the 6 yard box. McBurnie, Berge and Baldock are never going to threaten from these deep positions at this point:

1606213971816.png

For me we need to be much more decisive in these opportunities and either change the point of attack or simply commit more players into the box.

Ramsdale picking out Fleck in good space and punching directly beyond West Ham's press:

View attachment 98765

Giving us a great opportunity to progress 30/40 yards unchallenged to stretch the game:

6 on 6 at this point. Instead of going wide I'd have liked to have seen us play inside to Berge through the middle to commit one of their CB's into coming out of position.

View attachment 98766

Instead, we force it wide allowing West Ham to regroup and we don't get enough bodies in and around the 6 yard box. McBurnie, Berge and Baldock are never going to threaten from these deep positions at this point:

View attachment 98767

For me we need to be much more decisive in these opportunities and either change the point of attack or simply commit more players into the box.
Unfortunately its natural for our players to go wide rather than drive at the opposition and try to thread a pass through to a forward. Where did the cross end up? From the 3rd image you'd think either low between six yard box and penalty spot (McGoldrick offside). Alternative is to pick out McBurnie or Berge.

Unfortunately its natural for our players to go wide rather than drive at the opposition and try to thread a pass through to a forward. Where did the cross end up? From the 3rd image you'd think either low between six yard box and penalty spot (McGoldrick offside). Alternative is to pick out McBurnie or Berge.
It was a poor cross and sailed over everyone but we weren't in a good position to attack it anyway sadly

1606216395668.png

1606217040442.png

Those clips, for me, sum up graphically what one of our main problems is. Just look at McBurnie's movement... or complete lack of it. This is what I see every time I watch him. Just a complete lack of commitment to attack the areas we want him in. He always 'looks like he's trying hard', but in reality, he's just 'moseying'. Berge and Baldock have the central 'hole' covered and we are relying on Didsy to attack the goal and the cross.

I don't want to knock any United player. I love the club and I've been so proud of what has been achieved over the last 3 years, but this bloke is short-changing us at the moment. Yes, he got into a couple of positions to score on Sunday, and yes, he scored 6 goals last season, but if he genuinely put the effort in to 'leading the line' like he should be doing - and why he was bought - he'd create so many more chances for himself, and us. His goals last season came about when he 'attacked the goal and the cross' (apart from the finish against WHU which he hit so badly it hit the keeper' and went in) and his confidence increased significantly.

If he really upped his game, we'd have a player on our hands. Unfortunately, it seems his brain won't allow it.

Tin hat on.

UTB

Those clips, for me, sum up graphically what one of our main problems is. Just look at McBurnie's movement... or complete lack of it. This is what I see every time I watch him. Just a complete lack of commitment to attack the areas we want him in. He always 'looks like he's trying hard', but in reality, he's just 'moseying'. Berge and Baldock have the central 'hole' covered and we are relying on Didsy to attack the goal and the cross.

I don't want to knock any United player. I love the club and I've been so proud of what has been achieved over the last 3 years, but this bloke is short-changing us at the moment. Yes, he got into a couple of positions to score on Sunday, and yes, he scored 6 goals last season, but if he genuinely put the effort in to 'leading the line' like he should be doing - and why he was bought - he'd create so many more chances for himself, and us. His goals last season came about when he 'attacked the goal and the cross' (apart from the finish against WHU which he hit so badly it hit the keeper' and went in) and his confidence increased significantly.

If he really upped his game, we'd have a player on our hands. Unfortunately, it seems his brain won't allow it.

Tin hat on.

UTB
Forgive the crudeness of the drawing but the lack of movement from all players in that clip is poor. Didz or McB should be hitting the front post, Baldock should be around the back and one needs to attack the central area. Berge should hold for anything that comes out or stops us being countered on so easily

1606219373331.png

Tin hat on.

UTB
So McBurnie's fault but Didz stood offside in absolutely all of those clips (incl 2 passes before the cross!!), should have been able to see along the straight line of defenders and had a very poor game generally.
But I don't see the point in slagging individual players off. Quite a few players under-performing or making errors at key points. The team needs to get more players in the box, be braver, win more battles, run faster, tackle harder etc

I pick out McBurnie as he's the one that should be leading the line. Our 'spearhead'. He really doesn't and isn't.
I have used this one clip to highlight the point I have made but next match, really watch him. His movement and actual overall effort level is poor. It'd be interesting to see his distance and work rate stats compared to last season. I can't believe any of the players are up with last season's levels. Can you?
I fully accept that the problem is much bigger than one man but he's also the one man that can do most to improve us immediately. If his movement was better, more decisive, aggressive, and attack-minded, I think the other players would naturally adopt better positions around him. I just don't think he will.
Overall, for me, the biggest problem we have is ball retention. We just give it away so easily and this knocks any confidence we might have built up and boosts the oppositions.
Something has to change.

UTB

I'm rapidly losing heart.
I don't see us beating West Brom. They have a few good attacking players so it's almost inevitable they will score against us.
We, on the otherhand, don't. We're also incapable of scoring twice, making victory almost impossible.

I think they'll beat us. 1-0.

I've made a promise to myself that if we don't win on Saturday I will stop making plans around our fixture schedule & only watch if I have nothing else on.
The lads referred to it on BladesPod & I agree - I find it so difficult to shake a loss when I haven't been to a game, or as a minimum watched it with pals in the pub. It just feels do depressing.

Got a bit too much stress in my life at the minute without dedicating my weekends to watching us limply bend over every Saturday.

If only we had a player like Burke who does exactly that. Eh hang on !

You'd have to think Burke is worth a place breaking against Ivanovic who at 36 is tailor-made to run ragged. I personally would have him and Brewster up front to start with the other two as options if a) we need someone linking midfield and attack or b) we need to sling crosses in chasing the game.

I've not lost heart, far too long to go to do that, but god knows we need to reverse this trend sharpish and with Leicester and Southampton the following two we have to go for the win on this one. They were half decent and had the rough end of decisions against Man U who were very average, but still conceded a lot of good chances and were saved by Johnstone from a pasting.

At least with a Saturday 8pm kick off I can get popped up to the eyeballs in case it all turns shite!

You'd have to think Burke is worth a place breaking against Ivanovic who at 36 is tailor-made to run ragged. I personally would have him and Brewster up front to start with the other two as options if a) we need someone linking midfield and attack or b) we need to sling crosses in chasing the game.

I've not lost heart, far too long to go to do that, but god knows we need to reverse this trend sharpish and with Leicester and Southampton the following two we have to go for the win on this one. They were half decent and had the rough end of decisions against Man U who were very average, but still conceded a lot of good chances and were saved by Johnstone from a pasting.

At least with a Saturday 8pm kick off I can get popped up to the eyeballs in case it all turns shite!

What I am dismayed about is that Mr W does not seem to want to change the formation or personnel. In his mind is McB and Didzy are the best combination coming out of training ?? Its like Sharpe who ?

Hopefully we will see Brewster and Burke up front but I doubt it.

Forgive the crudeness of the drawing but the lack of movement from all players in that clip is poor. Didz or McB should be hitting the front post, Baldock should be around the back and one needs to attack the central area. Berge should hold for anything that comes out or stops us being countered on so easily

View attachment 98773

Plus, putting ll the images together Didsy looked offside anyway

I'm rapidly losing heart.
I don't see us beating West Brom. They have a few good attacking players so it's almost inevitable they will score against us.
We, on the otherhand, don't. We're also incapable of scoring twice, making victory almost impossible.

I think they'll beat us. 1-0.

I've made a promise to myself that if we don't win on Saturday I will stop making plans around our fixture schedule & only watch if I have nothing else on.
The lads referred to it on BladesPod & I agree - I find it so difficult to shake a loss when I haven't been to a game, or as a minimum watched it with pals in the pub. It just feels do depressing.

Got a bit too much stress in my life at the minute without dedicating my weekends to watching us limply bend over every Saturday.

I think our run of "not being beaten by much" is coming to an end.

It could be three or four.

I feel it in mi watter :(

View attachment 98765

View attachment 98766

View attachment 98767

Pass it inside and attack through the middle? Is that even allowed?

Pass it inside and attack through the middle? Is that even allowed?
We certainly have a hell of a tendency to go wide!

In opportunities like this when we’ve actually countered and got enough men into decent positions (Berge takes up a great position initially and was demanding it from Fleck) that we must vary our play. Going wide killed any impetus we had here and drastically reduced our options for a good final pass or shot. Fleck should’ve got his head up and took the chance to lay the ball inside.

I write to inform that my previous analysis of our Scottish CF has not been entirely accurate.

On reflection, and with further data sampling by way of minutes on the pitch, turns out his impact on the effectiveness of our overall play has been significantly overstated !!!

I beg of our esteemed leader to bench the fucker for Saturday night :).

UTB

We certainly have a hell of a tendency to go wide!

In opportunities like this when we’ve actually countered and got enough men into decent positions (Berge takes up a great position initially and was demanding it from Fleck) that we must vary our play. Going wide killed any impetus we had here and drastically reduced our options for a good final pass or shot. Fleck should’ve got his head up and took the chance to lay the ball inside.
Lack of variety is the killer. We don't have good enough individuals to be predictable

Should keep the same team as much as possible from last season put Enda back to LB and play ampadu or even calamity robinson at LCB

West Bromwich Albion FC (First Team) v Sheffield United FC (First Team)
Premier League
Referee: Dean, Michael
Assistant Referee: Cann, Darren
Assistant Referee: Scholes, Mark
Fourth Official: Ward, Gavin
Video Assistant Referee: Atkinson, Martin
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Hussin, Ian

Back
Top Bottom