We need to talk about chris

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wrote him off after that mistake against Leicester because on top of that I saw him as the weakest of the back 3 and we could upgrade. Then he put in his best defensive performance so far against Chelsea the following week and made me look a twat. Been great since and shown he belongs in this division as much as any of the team.

We could upgrade - but it would cost us over £10m and that’s credit to Basham. Superb.
It would presumably be possible to get a better footballer for the kind of money you mention, but how do you replace his contribution as a team-player? He must be a joy to manage and play alongside.

It sounds silly but he reminds me of one of my favourite former sportsmen in Paul Collingwood.

Lacks natural talent and ability but makes up for it with bucketloads of desire energy and hard work to make it at the top level.

Really admirable ⭐

I understand the point you are trying to make, & I agree he is not always easy on the eye, but you simply cannot rise to where he has without talent & ability.

I understand the point you are trying to make, & I agree he is not always easy on the eye, but you simply cannot rise to where he has without talent & ability.

Yep fair enough, what I'm trying to say he's a championship player in ability but plus his effort makes him a premier league player.

Almost opposite to many of our opposition players last night.

Yep fair enough, what I'm trying to say he's a championship player in ability but plus his effort makes him a premier league player.

Almost opposite to many of our opposition players last night.

Eh, tha wot? Where do I come into this thread?

The answer is Kyle Walker ...if we stay in the league.

City are already phasing him out and so is Gareth Southgate.

Really hope City win the Champions League because Kyle might take a view that he's won just about everything he's capable of and might have a more firm desire to work with Wilder.
Currently on £150k a week with a contract for the next 5 years....I doubt his desire is strong enough to drop his wages far enough for us!!
He said a few months ago on Sky about coming back and told Chris he was waiting (or something of that ilk). Would be one of few I'd consider to replace Bash.

Yes I saw the interview he said that he didnt expect to be at Man City till the end of his career and would love to come back to SUFC where it started towards the end of his career. Would even be willing to drop in wages and he said if they want him then come get me. He would be willing to talk.

Never know might come back sooner especially after we claim another top 6 scalp when we play them !

It's unbelievable how Basham, JOC, Billy, Fleck, Enda, Lunny and Baldock have all made the leap from L1/L2 to the Championship and then gone again to the Prem.

i was talking today about defence & its almost disbelief because crazy to think that we are talking players came from Shrewsbury (loan) MK Dons Brentford (3rd & 5th choice) Bolton & Portsmouth. they apart of the best defence in premier league

Bash is basically the Terminator. A machine sent from, er, Bolton to relentlessly carry out his mission and will not rest or be deterred.

“I want your clothes, your boots and your Premier League winners medal”.

The answer is Kyle Walker ...if we stay in the league.

City are already phasing him out and so is Gareth Southgate.

Really hope City win the Champions League because Kyle might take a view that he's won just about everything he's capable of and might have a more firm desire to work with Wilder.
I think old Kyles had a hair job watched city tonight and he looked different ?
Only jealous like ;)

After the Leicester game this season I thought he was gone, I didn't see him as a premiership player and thought he was our massive weakness....since then he has gone completely back to basics and has been excellent, a massive part of our unbeaten form (which should have included Liverpool). How do we replace him, get someone in youngish to learn from him.

First couple of games Fleck looked a bit lost as he didn't have Duffy in front of him. Then he must have thought (or been told) fuck this, cut through them yourself and take some of his job on top of your own, which he has. United's player of the season so far for me, and if he could find the net more often would be in the running for PL player of the year.

Absolutely spot on, player of the season so far for me too - partciularly outstanding against Liverpool and Arsenal

Booker was a shit player. Lots of spirit but not a good footballer. Our current lot have the ability to go along with the spirit. I understand that Booker somehow became a legend but that was in a time when our standards were very low.

Pack it in , you're sounding like Pinchy - troll.

Booker was loved for his work rate, spirit and togetherness with the fans. As that was a given for any Bassett player, it meant Bob did it particularly well.

I'll accept the 'shit player' jibe but if you don't understand why he was a cult hero, you obviously weren't there.

To the tune of 'We've got Bobby Booker ';

We've got Bobby Booker
He's a dirty fucker
He's six foot tall
He cost fuck all

Lennon and McCartney, eat your heart out...

I’m not sure you will find a right sided centre half with the running and attitude of Basham anywhere in world football!
Seriously, his physique is that of a runner not a footballer. His mentality on top of that makes him totally unique.
Ok, on the ball he will often play a weird or really poor ball, he won’t always make that quality cross and his finishing isn’t so good either.
But his role as a defender in our system makes him priceless....same with JOC.

If/when we look to replace them, we really need to look at finding someone to learn the role for 12 months before letting them play. But heaven forbid we have an injury, who do we have anywhere near as good?

Back
Top Bottom