Wages

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wilder said recently that our individual player contracts are designed to flex up or down depending on the division we're in.
Yeah they will and clubs will be more savvy nowadays. However, I think it’s natural that you start paying more when you bring better players in. So we’ll still have a higher wage bill should we come straight back down

Ours will be around the 50m mark for next season I expect. I just hope that they all have relegation clauses that significantly reduce that if we go down. Can we get Turry back to sort it out?

It’s eye watering. I suppose any new signing will come in at a minimum of £30k per week ? Can’t see an agent advising a player to sign for anything less. Maybe we can go down the route of guaranteed percentage increases for staying up each year of their contracts. Just depends if players/agents will go for that if there’s a 2 or 3 way battle to sign them. We’ve certainly entered unchartered waters.

We do have the advantage of going up with a sensible wage bill at least. Imagine if Villa go up, they’ll arrive with a £70m bill

Our wages in the 17/18 were £19 million, last season even more. I would expect with promotion bonuses we’re looking at £29 million. What do people think we will go to next season in The Prem? in the 17/18 season Huddersfield had the lowest wages at £63 million and second lowest was Brighton with £78 million. Could our wages double or do you think we’ll be well below Huddersfield’s first season wage total?

Huddersfield - Relegated

Brighton - narrowly avoid relegation and sack their manager .

Clucking bell :eek:

Again, not sure if bonuses for promotion are considered in the wage bill
It would be quite normal for them to be in the wages total, so when our 18/19 figures are released I expect the headline wages figure will be larger than we'd expect, but will include bonus payments that wouldn't have been made had we not gone up.
Say it's gone from 19m to 25m, then another 5m in bonuses, I'm sure we'd have rival fans making out we've broke the bank to go up because the headline figures would be 19m in 17/18 v 30m in 18/19.

It would be quite normal for them to be in the wages total, so when our 18/19 figures are released I expect the headline wages figure will be larger than we'd expect, but will include bonus payments that wouldn't have been made had we not gone up.
Say it's gone from 19m to 25m, then another 5m in bonuses, I'm sure we'd have rival fans making out we've broke the bank to go up because the headline figures would be 19m in 17/18 v 30m in 18/19.
Ok that changes things a bit!

Remember when players could get bonuses based on attendances ?

What a field day we’d have with that one nowadays!!

Ok that changes things a bit!
Not saying it definitely would be in wages, but I imagine there were bonuses for winning league 1 and there's nothing obvious in the 16/17 accounts that suggests they've separated bonuses from normal wages.
Obviously this year's bonuses will be significantly higher, so they could choose to split it out so it doesn't look like such an increase, but at the end of the day it's still cash being paid to staff.

Bournemouth get 10k gates and spend that much? That cannot be sustainable surely.
I saw a figure recently showing WBA's gate receipts in the premiership were £7M. They got £100,000,000 from the premiership itself.

Gate receipts make next to fuck all difference.

Not saying it definitely would be in wages, but I imagine there were bonuses for winning league 1 and there's nothing obvious in the 16/17 accounts that suggests they've separated bonuses from normal wages.
Obviously this year's bonuses will be significantly higher, so they could choose to split it out so it doesn't look like such an increase, but at the end of the day it's still cash being paid to staff.

All bonuses (and there is a bewildering variety of them, some of the “loyalty” bonuses crack me up) are built into the player contracts and show in the accounts as part of wages. They aren’t separated out.

All bonuses (and there is a bewildering variety of them, some of the “loyalty” bonuses crack me up) are built into the player contracts and show in the accounts as part of wages. They aren’t separated out.
Yeah sorry I don’t mean as in hide it somewhere else in the accounts, more like putting a note like this that Huddersfield had in when they went up so we have an idea what bonuses were.
Actually looking at theirs makes me think the £5m I mentioned might be a bit on the low side :eek:

80885A8B-3CF2-4C9B-B0B4-B6D450424C21.jpeg

Right up until the point when it’s not... just needs a bad second half of the season or a bad last 10 games and straight away you’re back down in the Championship and not long before you’re staring FFP in the face...

You get parachute payments to offset the losses
That’s literally the whole point of parachute payments to stop teams doing a Bolton & Portsmouth again

They might cause a massive difference between the prem and the champ but it helps teams cope when there relegated

So Brighton have the second lowest wage bill and survive in the premier league and still sack their manager Chris Houghton, expectations eh. Can you emagine that being us next season and our new Chinese owners saying sorry Chris you're out, the second half of the season Brighton have not done well but what are the owners realistic expectations? Will serve em right if they go down next season, (with Leeds and Villa of course)!

Good decision to sack hughton he’s took Brighton as far as he could.
Better to sack a manager before he relegates you

Good decision to sack hughton he’s took Brighton as far as he could.
Better to sack a manager before he relegates you
Yeah let somebody else relegate you instead, I don't, like anyone else knows wether it was the correct decision, I accept how tough it is to to be a chairman and make these calls but I would have thought before the season had started keeping Brighton up and reaching the fa cup semi final would, in my book been classed as a good season and try, like Burnley, to kick on next season, depends on what the "realistic" expectations are

Yeah let somebody else relegate you instead, I don't, like anyone else knows wether it was the correct decision, I accept how tough it is to to be a chairman and make these calls but I would have thought before the season had started keeping Brighton up and reaching the fa cup semi final would, in my book been classed as a good season and try, like Burnley, to kick on next season, depends on what the "realistic" expectations are
Only huddersfield took less points since crimbo why wait till the ship has sunk

So Brighton have the second lowest wage bill and survive in the premier league and still sack their manager Chris Houghton, expectations eh. Can you emagine that being us next season and our new Chinese owners saying sorry Chris you're out, the second half of the season Brighton have not done well but what are the owners realistic expectations? Will serve em right if they go down next season, (with Leeds and Villa of course)!

You're talking about 2 different seasons. Brighton's wage bill will have undoubtedly increased this year.

You're talking about 2 different seasons. Brighton's wage bill will have undoubtedly increased this year.
I thought it was in the press 2/3 days ago showing a league table of premier league wages etc.? I suppose my point is,as much as anything sensible expectations and what is achieved, would Brighton fans back in August have been happy at maintaining premier league status (just) and a f.a. Cup semi final, I would be very happy with this scenario for us next year!

I was so surprised that Cardiff stuck with warnock for the full season, he’s always struggled in the prem, think he gets overwhelmed by the “big grounds”

I thought it was in the press 2/3 days ago showing a league table of premier league wages etc.? I suppose my point is,as much as anything sensible expectations and what is achieved, would Brighton fans back in August have been happy at maintaining premier league status (just) and a f.a. Cup semi final, I would be very happy with this scenario for us next year!

Assuming we're referring to same thing, it says at the top that the figures are from 17/18, not 18/19:

As for the expectations of Brighton fans, I'm sure some would be have been happy enough with this seasons efforts.

Considering they spent over £65m in transfer fees, signing a couple of relatively high profile players, barely survived and only managed one win this calendar year (against Huddersfield) then I'd expect that plenty of fans would have been unhappy too.

If I was a Brighton fan, I would be disappointed with this season all things considered.

Back
Top Bottom