View from the Hill

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Works fine on PC you can even listen to my Radio Sheffield interview. :)

Sorry, not showing on my iPad page. I'll load it from my PC and see if it's there.
Right, found it now. I'll be ordering this. Grew up on Skye Edge Road in the 60's, 70's and 80's so I was very familiar with the Park Hill Flats!!!

The other, Pete Milner, a good15 years older than me, had brothers who were bricklayers all of whom were Blades but Pete supported Sheffield Wednesday
Pete Milner was my uncle, was a bricklayer and supported Wendy. Are we talking about the same person? He would have been 94 next month. All of his 5 brothers supported Wendy though and the only one of his brothers, Frank, was a bricklayer. My cousin Robert Milner (son of Bob) is a retired bricklayer

What fantastic accolade. Thank you for that. Dad was only about 5'4" which made him ideal for running up and down the ladder carrying "T'Monkey" as he called it.. I'm 6'3" and get my height comes from my mother, she was several inches taller than him. They never walked side by side when they were out lol. The only brickies name I can remember who he worked with was a guy called Don Wainwright. They were in a 2 and 1 gang. The other guy was called Bernie, but I can't remember his second name. Over the years, of course, he worked with many brickies. He was in most cases self-employed, which had its good side and bad side. I chuckled when you mention "Gobbo" most people wouldn't have a clue what it was. :)
Yes, the majority of them were on the small side. Lionel whom I mentioned was around your dads size but Pete was 6'. There was another fella, Steve, surname I forget but unmistakable as he had a proper Farther Christmas beard and no taller than 5'6". I never worked with him in a gang but on sights over a few years getting to know him. He was a areal character.
God I am getting old, forgotten 'Monkey', thanks for that.

Pete Milner was my uncle, was a bricklayer and supported Wendy. Are we talking about the same person? He would have been 94 next month. All of his 5 brothers supported Wendy though and the only one of his brothers, Frank, was a bricklayer. My cousin Robert Milner (son of Bob) is a retired bricklayer
Pete lived on Abney Road in a maisonette top floor nearest Gleadless Rd. His wife's name was Joan and she passed away before Pete they had no children.
He and his brothers used to do England V Scotland match, Wembley and Hamden each year. He ran a turquois blue Hillman when I worked with him. Pete could be brusque if he thought you were messing him around and could seem it if you didn't know him but under all that he was a proper gent.
Have we been down this road before SB?

Last edited:
Pete lived on Abney Road in a maisonette top floor nearest Gleadless Rd. His wife's name was Joan and she passed away before Pete they had no children.
He and his brothers used to do England V Scotland match, Wembley and Hamden each year. He ran a turquois blue Hillman when I worked with him. Pete could be brusque if he thought you were messing him around and could seem it if you didn't know him but under all that he was a proper gent.
Have we been down this road before SB?
Yes, we are talking about the same person. They lived at Abney Close for many years (I watched the 1972 and 1973 FA Cup finals there as Uncle Pete had colour tv) before moving to Northcote Road in Heeley. He and Joan would come to our house every week to see my mum and I would always talk about football with him. My dad and I wound him up a lot when Wendy lost in the 1993 cup finals because he thought we should be supporting the Sheffield team. He took me to Wendy matches quite a few times in the mid 1970s if I couldnt go to an United away match. Pete watched both Sheffield teams in the 1930s (My grandfather Harold was a Blade but also wanted Wendy to win too), 1940s and 1950s and when Jimmy Hagan stopped playing he hardly went to United home games after that but I remember talking about our match against Chelsea in 1968 that saw us relegated. He said the biggest reason why he chose Wendy as his team because he was at the 1934 FA Cup match against Man City that had 72,000 attendance, he caught the match ball and handed it over to Man City winger Ernie Toseland who then patted his head and that had made him proud and falling in love with the place that he always called it Owlerton. He passed away aged 82 in 2009, Joan passed away in 2007

1612603867782.png
1612603913268.png

I wasnt aware of that. Pete and Frank went to 1966 FA Cup final. My mum (92) has no interest in football, will ask my two surviving uncles Jim (87) and John (83)
If I knew about '66 I had forgotten, it was the Internationals I remember him telling me they went to.
It caught my imagination they had been as I had listened to those games on the the radio as a kid so suppose that's why I remember him telling me.
Thanks for post 67 I will reply to it when I have more time and get my head around it, what a great photo of him and Joan.

Yes, we are talking about the same person. They lived at Abney Close for many years (I watched the 1972 and 1973 FA Cup finals there as Uncle Pete had colour tv) before moving to Northcote Road in Heeley. He and Joan would come to our house every week to see my mum and I would always talk about football with him. My dad and I wound him up a lot when Wendy lost in the 1993 cup finals because he thought we should be supporting the Sheffield team. He took me to Wendy matches quite a few times in the mid 1970s if I couldnt go to an United away match. Pete watched both Sheffield teams in the 1930s (My grandfather Harold was a Blade but also wanted Wendy to win too), 1940s and 1950s and when Jimmy Hagan stopped playing he hardly went to United home games after that but I remember talking about our match against Chelsea in 1968 that saw us relegated. He said the biggest reason why he chose Wendy as his team because he was at the 1934 FA Cup match against Man City that had 72,000 attendance, he caught the match ball and handed it over to Man City winger Ernie Toseland who then patted his head and that had made him proud and falling in love with the place that he always called it Owlerton. He passed away aged 82 in 2009, Joan passed away in 2007

View attachment 104841
View attachment 104842
When your Dad took me to Wembley, I think it was 1960 v Spain Peter, I think either one or two of your Mum’s brothers came. P.C. Rowbotham the local copper who was your Dad’s pal also came. We all bought England rosettes outside Wembley, but one of your uncles bought a Spain rosette, no idea why.

When your Dad took me to Wembley, I think it was 1960 v Spain Peter, I think either one or two of your Mum’s brothers came. P.C. Rowbotham the local copper who was your Dad’s pal also came. We all bought England rosettes outside Wembley, but one of your uncles bought a Spain rosette, no idea why.
Am aware of you and my dad going to the England v Spain match but wasnt aware that one or two of my mum's brothers came with you. Must be the twins or one of them? Will ask John.

Just sat down and managed to look through View from the Hill after last week's delivery..
Absolutely loved it, really took me back to my teenage years and town etc..
Knew several faces including the Pierpoint brothers, seen Mick and Tony a few times over the years. Steve Fox too, though I didn't realise he'd passed away, real nice kid.
Alan Donohoe too, though I knew his elder brother better.
Great shots of Heeley, a place I grew up around and also lived down near where the photos were shot when I was first married.
And Firth Brown's too... Did my apprenticeship there and the photo of the old CMS workshops off Carwood Rd brought the memories flooding back!
One or two faces in the hole in the road were identified too!
Thanks Mick, fantastic piece of work!

Just sat down and managed to look through View from the Hill after last week's delivery..
Absolutely loved it, really took me back to my teenage years and town etc..
Knew several faces including the Pierpoint brothers, seen Mick and Tony a few times over the years. Steve Fox too, though I didn't realise he'd passed away, real nice kid.
Alan Donohoe too, though I knew his elder brother better.
Great shots of Heeley, a place I grew up around and also lived down near where the photos were shot when I was first married.
And Firth Brown's too... Did my apprenticeship there and the photo of the old CMS workshops off Carwood Rd brought the memories flooding back!
One or two faces in the hole in the road were identified too!
Thanks Mick, fantastic piece of work!
That's an amazing review LSF thanks for posting it.

Mad Mick Bought this for my Dad. Arrived this morning and have spent this evening having a good look. Some great pictures in there (even though we’ll before my time ;)). Really enjoyed it. Spooky thing was seeing one of my brother’s mate’s dad in there. Spitting image!

Mad Mick Bought this for my Dad. Arrived this morning and have spent this evening having a good look. Some great pictures in there (even though we’ll before my time ;)). Really enjoyed it. Spooky thing was seeing one of my brother’s mate’s dad in there. Spitting image!
Thanks, Aganarama glad you enjoyed it. It's amazing how many people have been recognised. I just pointed the camera and hope for the best. In those days I never asked for permission.

My mum asked both Uncle Jim and John on the phone. Jim thinks it was Frank (the tallest of my uncles- Andreen's dad) that came with you, PC Rowbotham and my dad). My mum remembers PC Rowbotham but I dont think I knew him?

If I knew about '66 I had forgotten, it was the Internationals I remember him telling me they went to.
It caught my imagination they had been as I had listened to those games on the the radio as a kid so suppose that's why I remember him telling me.
Thanks for post 67 I will reply to it when I have more time and get my head around it, what a great photo of him and Joan.
My mum spoke to both of my uncles by phone. They werent aware of Uncle Pete going to England v Scotland matches but both said they didnt often go to matches with him. Maybe Pete and Frank went to the matches in the 1950s?

Sorry for the plug but this would make a great fathers day present. Also, my exhibition opens on 20th June and entry is free. Hopefully, I'll be able to put some faces to some of the names on here. I'll be there for most of the day. Details below.Exhib8smaller.jpg

Just ordered a copy from Amazon Mick, I shall look forward to receiving it, I meant to do it months ago but it slipped my mind, good marketing ploy to plug it again :)

Mick, is it just the one day expo. I only ask as will be in Sheffield the following week for first time in ages and would be good to see the expo

Daft question Mick. Is it only Sheffield or are there photographs of other parts of South Yorkshire.

It's not daft Blade it's a good point. It's Sheffield only, all images are black and white. Mainly framed but some large canvas. All taken in either 1969 or 1970 as that's when I had access to a camera. A lot of the photographs were taken when I was just 17 years old.

1970. Use to do a night class on photography with a local photographer Jack Ellis. Really enjoyed all the steps involved with developing and the timings for exposure. But sadly like most things went on to a different path. Hope I can find the time to drop in. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom