View from the Hill

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A lovely story and very kind comments. I'm sure you will enjoy the book.

Hello, everyone, I'd like to tell you about my new book. It's called View from the Hill and is a book of photographs that I took in 1969 and 1970 whilst at Sheffield College of Art. The images are all black and white and reflect Sheffield at the time. Also as a resident of Park Hill flats, there are a number of photographs of people and places around that area. I have posted a number of images in the thread "Old Photos for no reason Whatsoever", so you can get a flavour of my work. I've now got permission to mention the book in General Chat. Sadly there is only one photo of BDTBL and even that is very hazy. You can purchase the book at :
https://www.1889books.co.uk/view-from-the-hill
An interesting URL don't you think?
Below is the double-page spread that was published in the Telegraph and The Star.View attachment 103289
Ordered two Mick. Really looking forward to this.

Nice one LSF. When did you order it? We sent 7 out today. If it was today will probably go out towards the end of the week.

Nice one LSF. When did you order it? We sent 7 out today. If it was today will probably go out towards the end of the week.
Ordered it Tuesday Mick, other ones for my son so he can see life in my younger days instead of listening to my banal reminiscing 😀.

Aye, it came through last night. All being well will post tomorrow.

Bought a copy for my Dad. He said you must've been stood in what would've been his grandmother's front room when you took this one.Screenshot_20210128-182300_WhatsApp.jpg

Just read it.

I Was born in 1970 so a few years later than these pictures. But I'd like to say what a wonderful piece of work. Many of your pictures brought a smile, some brought a lump in the throat when I thought of happier times at places, and with people, no longer with us.

Thank you Mad Mick

Last edited:
Just read it.

I Was born in 1970 so a few years later than these pictures. But I'd like to say what a wonderful piece of work. Many of your pictures brought a smile, some brought a lump in the throat when I thought of happier times at places, and with people, no longer with us.

Thank you Mad Mick
Thank you, TC that's a wonderful accolade.

Cracking book. Personal fave is of 97 bus. Just of it’s time and shame they messed all the bus numbers up.

On my returns since I left in 93 I’ve often ended up on a wrong bus after a few beers.

“No mate you should have turned right at The Lansdowne, up past the flats and passed The Vine. The 97 doesn’t go past The Cremorne you pissed or what. And where’s The Royal gone?”

Anyway, could only find one reference to Bramall Lane, so how come there aren’t many more photos of the Lane?

Cracking book. Personal fave is of 97 bus. Just of it’s time and shame they messed all the bus numbers up.

On my returns since I left in 93 I’ve often ended up on a wrong bus after a few beers.

“No mate you should have turned right at The Lansdowne, up past the flats and passed The Vine. The 97 doesn’t go past The Cremorne you pissed or what. And where’s The Royal gone?”

Anyway, could only find one reference to Bramall Lane, so how come there aren’t many more photos of the Lane?
I daren't take the Art College cameras to the lane. Not because I was worried about having them nicked, but because I was usually pissed. I was worried I might forget where I put the camera or maybe drop it whilst celebrating a goal. Bear in mind these cameras were worth a fortune. I did take them to night clubs where I was always pissed, but got away with that I suppose. I regret it now, of course, I could have got some great images. The 97 bus is also one of my favourites.

Book arrived yesterday, although it's not reflecting my pre twenties, like yourself, it does resonate a period in my life, returning memories of that time, excellent.
Glad you included the Classic steps one, as I mentioned some time ago, the central figure carrying the two bag is our Gert's double, only by the pierced earrings and she never had buckle shoes was I able to say it wasn't her. Wondering now, maybe she had a double life at that time. :confused:
Good to hear you have feedback from others who recognise themselves in your photos, must give you much satisfaction.
I'll bring the book down to Kelham and if you would sign it for me I would be obliged.
If I cannot get to the exhibition, our daughter, ex Art College 'walla',early 1980's, might bring it down, sure she would interested to view your work.
I remember when she was at Psalter Lane, she went around town photographing all and sundry.
We in fact have some prints here, I'll look them out and and put them on here, depending on my abilities to transfer them as most are small, seems all the exposure from a film are printed onto a A4 sized print. No doubt you will understand.
She took some in the Castle Market and for some time now been going to ask if you have any of the interior.
Reason I ask is you may have caught someone close to me so then I could "stick it in the familee album". (Like Tommy Steel did.)

Thanks, XM657. I'll let you know when the exhibition starts. Maybe late summer after all this COVID shit. Glad you enjoyed the book.

I received the book yesterday and had a great nostalgic look through. It really makes me miss the hole in the road and the labarynth of subways into it. Some amazing pictures that really capture some of the character of the city in the late sixtes early seventies. It also looks at the different aspects of the city that made it what it was including industrial buildings and the bustling town centre, even the transport on the buses.
As a time capsule piece, it is an excellent piece of work. The photos are all both superb shots in their own right and convey a story of the time. Well done Mick.

Thanks, XM657. I'll let you know when the exhibition starts. Maybe late summer after all this COVID shit. Glad you enjoyed the book.
By the way, reading your dad carried the hod, now a thing of the past I understand, makes me have great admiration for him.
I worked with them for thirty plus years and did a bit myself when needed, so have some insight on the requirements needed. I found a lot of people, wrongly, looked down on the job.
A good carrier, like your dad, and it would be his peers who said that of him, would have built up his own reputation over the years for organisation, reliability, hard work and team work. He would have been the driving force in the gang, all the good'ns were, bit like having a fucking good butler, yeh hardly had to lift a finger with a good'un.
Putting one on top of two was what earned the money so the good'ns organised most things as well as supplying the bricks and mortar(gobbo), almost to your finger tips.
Had the the pleasure of working with two top men Lionel Binney, briefly, a coloured lad who's family came from West Africa in the 30's. Boxed at national level as a boy. In Pictures Sheffield there is a photo of a young coloured boy posing with the gloves on, says the subject is unknown but I swear on my life it's Lionel.
The other, Pete Milner, a good15 years older than me, had brothers who were bricklayers all of whom were Blades but Pete supported Sheffield Wednesday, Written it in full out of respect for Pete, a Gentleman of the First Order, who I don't believe will still be with us as the last time I saw him, several years ago, said the doctors had told him he only had so long to go. Pete, when he came to work with us had all the attributes I've out lined and despite being much older than us used his experience to make us a lucrative unit for several years.
Oh! and neither suffered fools gladly so you always knew where you stood with them. Couldn't ask for owt better.

Really enjoyed the book Mick and saw several families I knew from my school days.......Kings, Drabbles, Cosgroves and Donahoes. Also saw the only photo I’ve ever seen of our front door on Bard Street.

By the way, reading your dad carried the hod, now a thing of the past I understand, makes me have great admiration for him.
I worked with them for thirty plus years and did a bit myself when needed, so have some insight on the requirements needed. I found a lot of people, wrongly, looked down on the job.
A good carrier, like your dad, and it would be his peers who said that of him, would have built up his own reputation over the years for organisation, reliability, hard work and team work. He would have been the driving force in the gang, all the good'ns were, bit like having a fucking good butler, yeh hardly had to lift a finger with a good'un.
Putting one on top of two was what earned the money so the good'ns organised most things as well as supplying the bricks and mortar(gobbo), almost to your finger tips.
Had the the pleasure of working with two top men Lionel Binney, briefly, a coloured lad who's family came from West Africa in the 30's. Boxed at national level as a boy. In Pictures Sheffield there is a photo of a young coloured boy posing with the gloves on, says the subject is unknown but I swear on my life it's Lionel.
The other, Pete Milner, a good15 years older than me, had brothers who were bricklayers all of whom were Blades but Pete supported Sheffield Wednesday, Written it in full out of respect for Pete, a Gentleman of the First Order, who I don't believe will still be with us as the last time I saw him, several years ago, said the doctors had told him he only had so long to go. Pete, when he came to work with us had all the attributes I've out lined and despite being much older than us used his experience to make us a lucrative unit for several years.
Oh! and neither suffered fools gladly so you always knew where you stood with them. Couldn't ask for owt better.
What fantastic accolade. Thank you for that. Dad was only about 5'4" which made him ideal for running up and down the ladder carrying "T'Monkey" as he called it.. I'm 6'3" and get my height comes from my mother, she was several inches taller than him. They never walked side by side when they were out lol. The only brickies name I can remember who he worked with was a guy called Don Wainwright. They were in a 2 and 1 gang. The other guy was called Bernie, but I can't remember his second name. Over the years, of course, he worked with many brickies. He was in most cases self-employed, which had its good side and bad side. I chuckled when you mention "Gobbo" most people wouldn't have a clue what it was. :)

Really enjoyed the book Mick and saw several families I knew from my school days.......Kings, Drabbles, Cosgroves and Donahoes. Also saw the only photo I’ve ever seen of our front door on Bard Street.
Glad you enjoyed BBT. Alan Donohoe recently passed away sadly.
I reckon we must have met at some stage. You ought to join The Park Hill Flats (Sheffield) Facebook group. The Kings and Drabbles are on there along with many more. Also later this year I'm organising a Park Hill reunion.

Glad you enjoyed BBT. Alan Donohoe recently passed away sadly.
I reckon we must have met at some stage. You ought to join The Park Hill Flats (Sheffield) Facebook group. The Kings and Drabbles are on there along with many more. Also later this year I'm organising a Park Hill reunion.
You would almost certainly have met my older brother Bob, he lived directly above you on the flats.

Just ordered a copy Mad Mick ! If there's photo's of Oak Street, I am sure my dad (and Auntie and Uncle) will be interested to see it. :)

Just ordered a copy Mad Mick ! If there's photo's of Oak Street, I am sure my dad (and Auntie and Uncle) will be interested to see it. :)
Cheers Sid1978. Yes, there is a photo of Oak Street and a few others taken around Heeley in early 1969. It should bring back a few memories.

Hello, everyone, I'd like to tell you about my new book. It's called View from the Hill and is a book of photographs that I took in 1969 and 1970 whilst at Sheffield College of Art. The images are all black and white and reflect Sheffield at the time. Also as a resident of Park Hill flats, there are a number of photographs of people and places around that area. I have posted a number of images in the thread "Old Photos for no reason Whatsoever", so you can get a flavour of my work. I've now got permission to mention the book in General Chat. Sadly there is only one photo of BDTBL and even that is very hazy. You can purchase the book at :
https://www.1889books.co.uk/view-from-the-hill
An interesting URL don't you think?
Below is the double-page spread that was published in the Telegraph and The Star.View attachment 103289
Hi Mick, just clicked on your link to purchase the book but don't know if I'm being a bit thick but can't find a way of purchasing from this site. Is there a problem or am I missing something?

Click on Special Price £15. Amazon is asking £21 so its a lot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom