Roy's View From... View From Luton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Won’t safe standing just result in the same people in the same places, but stood up?
Well no, not necessarily. If the centre of the kop is standing I can't see the older lads and lasses that occupy it now remaining. It'll be a re-jig

Most grounds are quiet unless the home team are winning and/or are in an exciting season, which we haven't by in large. We outsing most clubs away from home of course. Even if we were playing really well and top of the league I still don't believe the atmosphere would be better than the promotion season under wilder because that season was our first push to the PL in 14 years, there's an expectation that we should be up there this season and getting promoted is almost expected, or the very least that we'd be right up there in the mix.

As others have said we desperately need safe standing but can't see that unless we get promoted.

As for Wednesday fans been better, according to Luton fans, the atmosphere at Hillsborough is very much reactive to how they're doing, just like everyone else. Therefore most of the time it's crap there.

Bramall Lane end seemed to be a couple of transit vans from Dunstable probably looking at their phones all the game. If they wanted to create an atmosphere, they ought to have been like the Blackpool mob. They were terrific.....

I think our home atmosphere has been poor since ‘project re-start’

I get we’ve been a bit / lot shit in that time but you’d have thought the fans would have been chomping at the bit to get out on the ale and have a sing song.

But no, totally flat.

So they’re absolutely right it was like playing in a library.
Aside from Burnley at home in the final match of last season we've only had fans in the stadiums this season since project restart.

It was a quiet atmosphere against Luton and although it wouldn't have been fantastic, had we not lost to derby and chucked 3 pts away vs Preston it might have been a bit more bouyant. Our fans sadly pretty much play off against how our team are doing during matches for atmoshphere, unless it's a derby or a big match.

Saw someone on twitter say the atmosphere's been awful for a few seasons. I thought it was pretty good promotion to PL and up until we had to stop the season.

Aside from Burnley at home in the final match of last season we've only had fans in the stadiums this season since project restart.

It was a quiet atmosphere against Luton and although it wouldn't have been fantastic, had we not lost to derby and chucked 3 pts away vs Preston it might have been a bit more bouyant. Our fans sadly pretty much play off against how our team are doing during matches for atmoshphere, unless it's a derby or a big match.

Saw someone on twitter say the atmosphere's been awful for a few seasons. I thought it was pretty good promotion to PL and up until we had to stop the season.

Yes I realise I said project re-start but I meant since we’ve been allowed back.

I think it’s been poor all season and the exact opposite of what I expected.

Thinking back to Birmingham I was expecting a really good atmosphere. It was our first game back at home where it was easy to go to. First home game of a new season under a new gaffer who we were all quite excited to have on board and it was flat - apart from the first GCB song which I remember being a great moment. It’s been flat ever since. All season. I don’t know why. I was expecting us blades to be really keen to get on the ale, get back to the ground and have a good time. But not the case. Football was shite without fans so I was expecting every football stadium to be packed and noisy and for me it hasn’t been the case.

I disagree with those who say it’s been bad for multiple seasons though. I thought under wilder in the promotion season and the first season up there it was decent-ish.

Maybe they could record some chants within the stadium and play them sporadically throughout the game to get people going.

No idea if this is the answer but it's a bit shit like and excuses based on who we're playing doesn't cut the mustard.
YOU WHAT ?
Isnt that what Leeds used to do , Or them at S6 ?

I've been going to the lane for over 30 years and generally the atmosphere has been poor. Sure there are exceptions, Newcastle in the league cup when we won 3-0, Swansea 5-2, Leeds 2-2, Derby games, the night cup games under Warnock, League One promotion games under Wilder, Man Utd 3-3, other games v bigger clubs. But these are exceptions, the majority are quiet affairs and always have been. Maybe the acoustics of the ground don't help but this criticism is nothing new.

Lots of games under Bassett in the second promotion season were flat even on the run in (oxford, watford, newcastle) and I remember him commenting on it. It's maybe just the way the fans are. Generally we need something to fire us up, the classic example being the boxing day v derby when the atmosphere transformed in a few seconds. I don't think we're alone, most home support is shit vocally but I disagree with the sentiment that it's worse now than before. I preferred the atmosphere standing at games but not sure this translated to it being louder.

Away days as we all know are completely different and so be it, part of the experience.

I've been going to the lane for over 30 years and generally the atmosphere has been poor. Sure there are exceptions, Newcastle in the league cup when we won 3-0, Swansea 5-2, Leeds 2-2, Derby games, the night cup games under Warnock, League One promotion games under Wilder, Man Utd 3-3, other games v bigger clubs. But these are exceptions, the majority are quiet affairs and always have been. Maybe the acoustics of the ground don't help but this criticism is nothing new.

Lots of games under Bassett in the second promotion season were flat even on the run in (oxford, watford, newcastle) and I remember him commenting on it. It's maybe just the way the fans are. Generally we need something to fire us up, the classic example being the boxing day v derby when the atmosphere transformed in a few seconds. I don't think we're alone, most home support is shit vocally but I disagree with the sentiment that it's worse now than before. I preferred the atmosphere standing at games but not sure this translated to it being louder.

Away days as we all know are completely different and so be it, part of the experience.

The Warnock 2002/03 season was the best I've known it. We had consistently great atmospheres that year, influenced a bit by Gangway G/H in the South Stand. There were some good times in our promotion year with Warnock & in the Prem.

The atmosphere under Wilder wasn't as good as it should have been despite some good times. I brought friends to the 0-0 home game against Wednesday & had bigged it up all week, but it was flat at both ends. Terrible game, yes. But I'd still expect something.

Back
Top Bottom