View from Crewe

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Roygbiv

Reaction score
"All about opinions and the score suggests a close contest. It wasn't and had it been a boxing match, the Ref would have stopped it. Not sure we had a kick in the first 20 mins and we were over run by a fast flowing, fast moving SU side that overwhelmed us for most of the game although we had a better second half than the first. They had loads of near misses and balls running across the goal and one shot that glanced the crossbar and one really clear cut chance where they only had the goalie to beat and he screwed it well wide. Any decent striker would have made us suffer but I thought we may just nick it at the end as we came a bit more into the game. Some may think it was dour game but I found it quite interesting with our defence withstanding the barrage and imo played quite well in defending. We played too deep because we had to. Another positive for me is that I got to shake the hand of Nigel Clough at HT and said we all missed the football genius that was his Dad and was surprised when he said he passed away ten years ago. How time flies."

"it's a struggle for us to play at the required standard but we were playing Sheffield United who reached the semi finals of the competition last season and are surely underperforming as a club at L1 level."

"Sheffield United deserved to win again , but I felt we held our own and put in a respectable display, especially given the squad absences and the fact we relied on 2 new kids for the majority of the game."

"Dull, negative, toothless in attack! 3 hours of football against Sheff Utd in 2 weeks and we never had a go at them once! "

"We wont win at the lane"

"defended well against a good side. "

"The blades looked more likely"

i do like Mr Roygbiv . Good assessment . Having a ciggy outside old chap . Lets get that dam striker in to score them goals.

UTB

Been bangin on for ages about the need for a natural poacher striker,(as have many others),13 months and still no sign of one !:(

Not one mention of handball? They were shouting it all afternoon, the only time they didn't, they actually got one :D

Been bangin on for ages about the need for a natural poacher striker,(as have many others),13 months and still no sign of one !:(

I honestly think Clough thinks Higdon is the man. His latest injury is a big blow and its now a different ball game. We can't wait much longer for someone to produce.

Clough doesn't want to overburden McNults. Porter was a b a d re-signing.

The false 9 isn't working because Murphy, Flynn and/ or Ryce are faltering. So is Scougall, big time.

The frustrating thing is if we had 2 good strikers we would be burying these teams and be right up there now.
The lack of striker/s is a big problem and will prevent us gaining promotion as it stands at the moment.
Goals win games that applies to every level of football and it needs sorting as soon as!

Here's my assessment of yesterdays game at Crewe.

We TOTALLY dominated that game from start to finish - except when finishing in the 18 yard box.

We actually dominated their 18 yard box and got in and behind them numerous times - it's the finishing that let us down.

We dominated the 2nd half v Gillingham - we dominated the whole game v Crewe. The standard of passing was exceptional - to feet, intelligent pass and move. Everyone played well, but we didn't finish. It could, with a bit better thought in their box been 5 nil. OK ,so it wasn't, but it wasn't through the lack of trying. Can't remember a foul, because we are a footballing side and not long ball or kick and rush. We try and play intelligent pass and move style.

When Crewe had the ball we hunted them down in numbers like Barca do which made Crewe go backwards and virtually all of their possession was in the last third of their half.

Yes we NEED to finish, but the standard of our play was very very good.

Too much emphasis is being put on the striker to finish and this in not lost on NC, but as a unit, the team are progressing. Think back to how Crewe stuffed us last year.

Anyone would think our entire world is about to collapse JUST because we don't have a 25 goal sticker. Yes it's a problem but we could quite easily have a great 25 goal striker and a shit team behind him.....................oh dear THAT team is presently residing in S6 and in case you are wondering it is Stevie May who is/was a good forward.

We are still in all FOUR competitions we entered. WE ARE PROGRESSING - Rome wasn't built in a day.

UTB

We TOTALLY dominated that game from start to finish - except when finishing in the 18 yard box.

We actually dominated their 18 yard box and got in and behind them numerous times - it's the finishing that let us down.

We dominated the 2nd half v Gillingham - we dominated the whole game v Crewe. The standard of passing was exceptional - to feet, intelligent pass and move. Everyone played well, but we didn't finish. It could, with a bit better thought in their box been 5 nil. OK ,so it wasn't, but it wasn't through the lack of trying. Can't remember a foul, because we are a footballing side and not long ball or kick and rush. We try and play intelligent pass and move style.

When Crewe had the ball we hunted them down in numbers like Barca do which made Crewe go backwards and virtually all of their possession was in the last third of their half.

Too much emphasis is being put on the striker to finish and this in not lost on NC, but as a unit, the team are progressing. Think back to how Crewe stuffed us last year.

Anyone would think our entire world is about to collapse JUST because we don't have a 25 goal sticker. Yes it's a problem but we could quite easily have a great 25 goal striker and a shit team behind him.....................oh dear THAT team is presently residing in S6 and in case you are wondering it is Stevie May who is/was a good forward.

We are still in all FOUR competitions we entered. WE ARE PROGRESSING - Rome wasn't built in a day.

UTB

Like always good post and a lot of sense . An observation , but Stevie May i think would have been a great hit at the lane . Yes agree with you 100% but a out and out striker with the team we have , style of play , we would be walking this league . Rome wasn't built in a day , but i am afraid we only have this season to build it , unless we get divine intervention. Much rather have our problem ( which can be overcome ) , than them at S6 and up the road in Leeds.

UTB

Like always good post and a lot of sense . An observation , but Stevie May i think would have been a great hit at the lane . Yes agree with you 100% but a out and out striker with the team we have , style of play , we would be walking this league . Rome wasn't built in a day , but i am afraid we only have this season to build it , unless we get divine intervention. Much rather have our problem ( which can be overcome ) , than them at S6 and up the road in Leeds.

UTB

Just my opinion, but if Higdon had been signed in June/July then we may be top by now.

As a team we are growing into the season and getting better. We took a step backwards v the dingles, but we took another step forward yesterday and didn't let an enthusiastic "little" club get in amongst us. Very very professional performance - except the finishing. Scoogs has that ability to arrive late, shame he wasn't on from the start. When we play false nine, then he should start because he does have that ability to "see" the late run.

Another step forward against Walsall and Donny and we will be back on track.

Keep the faith.

UTB

I have decided not to go in Shoutbox anymore on matchdays ,it is absolutely pathetic ,just full of people who want to slag off or ridicule anything to do with the club.. I go to about 1 in 5 away games these days but have decided to up that to most now.

Here's my assessment of yesterdays game at Crewe

UTB
God I'm sick of hearing radio sheffield wanking off about Stevie bastard May. That Jonathan Buchan can't stop saying his name. He's shite and looks like a tramp.

God I'm sick of hearing radio sheffield wanking off about Stevie bastard May. That Jonathan Buchan can't stop saying his name. He's shite and looks like a tramp.

Stevie May is a decent footballer, but don't worry, our S6 neighbours have a habit of ruining centre forwards prospects of a future in football and Stuart Gray seems to have discovered the W'day habit of picking shit managers - long may it continue.

UTB

I have decided not to go in Shoutbox anymore on matchdays ,it is absolutely pathetic ,just full of people who want to slag off or ridicule anything to do with the club.. I go to about 1 in 5 away games these days but have decided to up that to most now.
It isn't though is it? When we're playing well we say so. We're battering teams and haven't got anyone up front to capitalise on that so we comment on it in the shoutbox, what's wrong with that?

It isn't though is it? When we're playing well we say so. We're battering teams and haven't got anyone up front to capitalise on that so we comment on it in the shoutbox, what's wrong with that?
When we're playing well its like a fucking ghost town.

UTB

Agreed, however, most good consistent sides are built around a solid spine GK - CH - CM - CF
Regrettably, we haven't had a decent CF since a certain chap went to jail. That has NEVER been addressed by successive managers / boards and is a serious error of judgement and a serious obstacle to us achieving the playoffs, IMHO.
UTB & FTP

Agreed, however, most good consistent sides are built around a solid spine GK - CH - CM - CF
Regrettably, we haven't had a decent CF since a certain chap went to jail. That has NEVER been addressed by successive managers / boards and is a serious error of judgement and a serious obstacle to us achieving the playoffs, IMHO.
UTB & FTP

yes you are correct.

Howard isn't a bad keeper - as solid as you will get at this level and possibly higher.

The centre backs yesterday were excellent, although the opposition were woeful.

Doyle was (IMHO) excellent yesterday - a changed man since NC came to the club and looking back, the sending off v Fulham was probably his last warning - well done to him.

We are lacking that "hero" up front. Sure NC had Higdon pencilled in, just hasn't quite worked out, but perhaps that area will come good.

UTB

Much as the question pains me, but other than class, what do we have that the pigs don't?

UTB
A decent Academy , ground , manager , fans { not the like the deluded fuckers from up the road } , a board thats not trying to offload us to a gangster from eastern europe ,
yep we may lack a striker but we as a club ooze class not like the trottered
ones from up the road .
UTB.

Much as the question pains me, but other than class, what do we have that the pigs don't?

UTB

I am a little surprised you have asked that question.

We are humble - that's what?
We are not pretentious - which they are.
They believe they have a RIGHT to be in the Premier league - we will earn that right, and hopefully this time if the Premier league keep their preposterous decision making within the rules then we might just stay there next time.

We might have our issues, but in the for ever changing world that football is now, we stand a much better chance then our neighbours in S6 or LS11. What ever happened in the past stands for nothing in the future.

We are starting from a lower base - but do not be surprised with what NC is putting in place that we do a Blades from the past or a Southampton from a few years back and go straight through.....and no I haven't been on the pop.

UTB

I am a little surprised you have asked that question.

We are humble - that's what?
We are not pretentious - which they are.
They believe they have a RIGHT to be in the Premier league - we will earn that right, and hopefully this time if the Premier league keep their preposterous decision making within the rules then we might just stay there next time.

We might have our issues, but in the for ever changing world that football is now, we stand a much better chance then our neighbours in S6 or LS11. What ever happened in the past stands for nothing in the future.

We are starting from a lower base - but do not be surprised with what NC is putting in place that we do a Blades from the past or a Southampton from a few years back and go straight through.....and no I haven't been on the pop.

UTB
Put the silly stuff aside. Exactly what do we have that Wendy don't?

Yes, their fans are full of shit. We can trade that crap all night. But right now, I can see 2 clubs with great support that they don't deserve. Neither has a pot to piss in, one is a division higher.

Any high and mighty angle on our part is a bit daft.

UTB

Put the silly stuff aside. Exactly what do we have that Wendy don't?

Yes, their fans are full of shit. We can trade that crap all night. But right now, I can see 2 clubs with great support that they don't deserve. Neither has a pot to piss in, one is a division higher.

Any high and mighty angle on our part is a bit daft.

UTB

Disagree totally about the support - no one forces anyone to go and see either club - the 18/19K that go and see United at present, do it because they want to not because they have to. Sorry, but we know who we are as a club and I apply that to W'day as well.

W'day also have a load of loyal supporters, but what our S6 neighbours are losing is supporters from out of town. When I was a nipper they drew support from far and wide, especially when they were in the top division - not so these days, kids are more likely to support Chelsea/Man Utd/Man City et al. That piggy Megson spouted a load of crap about support when managing them, but he like the rest of them can't see the obvious.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom