VAR VAR ♥️

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Even though it’s against them I can’t help but feel a bit sorry for them. Imagine if that was us, 90th min, going mental?

Fuck VAR

But it’s now created new exciting moments, how great was that when the VAR flashed up on the big screen and the ref did the TV signal?

That was just as good as watching any United goal, going from throwing away 2 points in injury time, to getting the win back! Amazing stuff!

But it’s now created new exciting moments, how great was that when the VAR flashed up on the big screen and the ref did the TV signal?

That was just as good as watching any United goal, going from throwing away 2 points in injury time, to getting the win back! Amazing stuff!
No. Just no.
At the time yeah but no that’s not football.

No. Just no.
At the time yeah but no that’s not football.

Ok so say there was no VAR last night and Snodgrass was wrongly flagged offside. It’s ok to be robbed in this way?

But a goal being disallowed correctly because it was via VAR isn’t ok?

The only way that this could improve sharpish is if the refs chose to go on strike, making themselves heroes on the process.

Read a great tweet earlier but can't find it now, I'm paraphrasing slightly, but it was along the lines of "for years under the old rules, players have cried hand ball and hounded the ref at the slightest incidents, now they get their wish and they can't cope with it"

Absolutely bang on mate!

I may be wrong, I usually am but I thought it changed and doesn't have to be deliberate anymore 👍
I was thinking about this, the rule states:

It is an offence if a player: deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball

When was "including moving the hand/arm towards the ball" added? Maybe that's what you're thinking of. To me it reads like that's handball, deliberate or not, presumably to take any ambiguity out of it. I'm fairly sure it wasn't always like that.

VAR works well in most instances where the ref has either made a mistake or not seen something which
Might alter a decision he has made or missed. There is nothing worse than ref giving the wrong decision for a penalty. Either for or against. Or where a player has fained a dive or a player red carded when the ref has not correctly seen the incident. It helps get the correct decision.
However where VAR doesn’t work is marginal off side decisions as it is being used to give a decision that a player is eg 3 cms off side. (Eg Lunny st Spurs). The technology is NOT that accurate due to margins of error. This needs sorting. Juergen Klopp has suggested that the line used to measure should be widened. This would build in an appropriate margin of error and make it practically workable.

I was thinking about this, the rule states:

It is an offence if a player: deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball

When was "including moving the hand/arm towards the ball" added? Maybe that's what you're thinking of. To me it reads like that's handball, deliberate or not, presumably to take any ambiguity out of it. I'm fairly sure it wasn't always like that.
The rules are a little more complicated than that now. The PL say "Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental"

The rules are a little more complicated than that now. The PL say "Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental"

Erm, yes, as I've already pointed out on this and another thread. However, when not directly before a goal, handball always used to be only if it was deliberate, now it appears it can be given for accidental if the hand moves towards the ball. I was wondering how long that additional sentence has been part of the rules.

There is a new rule for this year that most people have missed, it states.

Any goal scored by West Ham United at Bramall Lane will be immediately disallowed by the referee with the assistance of the linesmen and the fourth official. In the unlikely event that the referee cannot find a reason to disallow the goal, it will be referred to VAR who will make something up.

This rule has been approved by the Premier League, the FA and FIFA on the grounds that West Ham United are cheating cockney cunts who have sold their soul to play on a school sports field in a failed attempt to become a tenth rate Spurs.

There is a new rule for this year that most people have missed, it states.

Any goal scored by West Ham United at Bramall Lane will be immediately disallowed by the referee with the assistance of the linesmen and the fourth official. In the unlikely event that the referee cannot find a reason to disallow the goal, it will be referred to VAR who will make something up.

This rule has been approved by the Premier League, the FA and FIFA on the grounds that West Ham United are cheating cockney cunts who have sold their soul to play on a school sports field in a failed attempt to become a tenth rate Spurs.
Actually, the real shame is that it was the right decision. Had VAR disallowed the goal and it was a wrong decision, that would have been fucking hilarious.

Premier League higher ups have now told refs to look at monitors for decisions where they feel they should have the final say.

Won't make a difference to attacking handballs, but maybe the ones in the box and obvious tackles similar to Aubameyang the other day.

Premier League higher ups have now told refs to look at monitors for decisions where they feel they should have the final say.

Won't make a difference to attacking handballs, but maybe the ones in the box and obvious tackles similar to Aubameyang the other day.
It only relates to red card situations.

A three-pipe problem this one Watson.

You see, it's the gentleman who took the initial corner kick who is offside when he receives the "one-two" from his team-mate. His trailing left leg is briefly in the air.

The game is afoot. Literally. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Pass me my violin.

Reactions: Dkc
VAR needs sorting out asap. It's farcical. It surely was never meant for off side decisions like that.

Am I missing something with this goal. What was offside? Both passes went backwards didn't they? I am getting on but I thought the ball had to be played forward to be offside?

Scrub that. Dosent seem so. What advantage do you get from being offside when the ball is played backwards. Very odd..

Scrub that. Dosent seem so. What advantage do you get from being offside when the ball is played backwards. Very odd..

I guess situations like this exact one, where the original corner taker ends up unmarked from a one-two - a very very slight advantage but an advantage all the same, otherwise why take any corner short. Or attackers could get an advantage by standing in an offside position, being left unmarked or having defenders confused/switched off, and then running back to receive the ball for an easy pass.

It is a weird one and does feel like an edge case. I actually feel like I've seen this happen a few times - I've definitely seen a United corner-taker given offside from a one-two like this where in the past I've thought "hang on, the ball hasn't gone forward?" but usually the linesman's flag goes up immediately so there's never any controversy/scrutiny of it. And everyone's so pissed off that we took the corner short instead of gerring it int box anyway :D

from a corner if all the defending team stand on the halfway line then it should be impossible for the attacking team to score. have i got this right going by last nights VAR

Reactions: Dkc
VAR needs sorting out asap. It's farcical. It surely was never meant for off side decisions like that.

Agree....but how do you incorporate it into the rules?
Every suggestion I’ve heard trying to improve VAR brings up potentially equally negative consequences.

This season was forced to highlight teething problems.
You can bet that over the Summer all these VAR will be scrutinised with slight improvements made.

As Steve McManaman said you can’t blame VAR when it’s making the correct decision in accordance with the current rules.
So do the rules need changing for next season?

Back
Top Bottom