Match Thread Unofficial Match Thread: Cardiff City v. Sheffield United - 4th December 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CARD
CARD
CARD

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
Bit of a struggle in the end but a very good 3 points against a team on good form.

Terrible finishing first half from the 4 or 5 clear chances we created but we looked really poor at the back. We were completely unable to cope with their long throws and did little better on corners or free kicks. Dreadful marking. The sending off changed the game, but we were better second half but by no means great. Some schoolboiy game management at the end.

Foderingham - 7 - Made a couple of sharp reaction saves but looked a little uncomfortable with the crosses coming in (he at least tried to get to them though). Not helped by the fairly awful defending in front of him.
Stevens - 5 - Mixed, to say the least. He was involved a lot going forward but not good enough defensively. Drifted inside and created space for us but so restricted by that one foot.
Davies - 6 - He struggled first half and was getting some rough treatment from Collins but I though he was our best CB overall. Made a number of important challenges. Although it looked like he scored their second.
Egan - 4.5 - Shocking first half. Almost scored an own goal and misjudged a header by about 15 metres. Slow to react and struggles in the air. Got a bit better but had little to do until we took the lead second half. Just looks too casual and slow to react.
Basham - 5 - Did well going forward but poor defensively and largely responsible for their second. Gave it away and then got beaten far too easy. Gave the ball away a few times going forward.
Bogle - 6.5 - Makes some bad decisions and got caught offside too often but possibly our best defender today. Involved in our attack and did ok defensively. Needs to get closer to his man though.
Hourihane - 5.5- Missed a couple of good chances (fine with him going for goal at the end as he did it in a way where keeper had to save). Moved the ball around well but did look a bit slow and ponderous at times. Noticeably going past the strikers at times and he's better further forward
Norwood - 6 - Got caught for their first and I think playing their player on. Didn't close down quickly enough. Once again, looks a much better player with times and played some brilliant balls but also sometimes sloppy. Bit better defensively overall. Seem to be stretching himself more under the new manager.
Gibbs-White - 8 - Not everything came off by a long shot and some bad decision making but he was the difference between the teams today. Involved with everything good going forwards.
McGoldrick - 6 - Mixed. Once again pretty bad in front of goal, but glad he got one in the end. Did a lot of running and always made himself available, but felt a bit of a struggle at times. Lacking pace.
Sharp - 5.5 - Scored but some shocking finishing, especially first half. Kept going though and made some really good runs including the one which drew the red card and changed the game.

Subs

McBurnie - 5 - Never looks determined to me. Kind of goes into the right places but doesn't fight to get there first or hold onto a ball.
Osborn - Not really on long enough to score but did a couple of smart things which helped us retain the ball

Heck - 7 - Get a point for not making a substitute early second half when I, and I presume everyone else, thought he should. Takes guts not to change things at times. It was a strange game though. I thought we were poor first half. Lacked energy. we had 5 or 6 times when we created great chances but outside of that it was hit and hope really. lots of high balls going forward we were never going to win. Second half was better and then the red card changed the game. I thought the decision not to take a defender off was clever given their aerial dominance.

Cardiff . Dirty bastards and you can see what their plan is. They had a few really quality moves though and were very dangerous from set-pieces.
Nice write up. And kudos for keeping it within the match day thread.

Can't disagree with anything you've said. Like you said, first half we had some good chances first half (as did they) but apart from that we struggled to keep the ball for more than a few passes before hoofing it long for Sharp to chase down

Another 3 points and that is great!
We run more than we used and play more direct/forward which I recon comes from Hecky. Seems and feels more natural for our current players.
Was nice to see MGW finally get a goal (+ 2 assists) and maybe it lifts some elephants from his shoulders.
I don't want to underline too much that we made red card count for our favour, but I'm not sure about the result without it.
Last time our opponent got red they dropped under the ball and filled up the penalty area making it almost impossible to play in front of goal. Today we did way better.

Back
Top Bottom