Uncanny? - but now we have something stronger.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ucandomagic

Reaction score
Our points have been adjusted for the number of teams and points for a win, but the comparison is quite uncanny.

The difference then was that we didn't have Chris Wilder, and we lost our spirit very early on.

The best thing about 75/76 was hoping "they" would be relegated from Division Three. As the season went on we cheered "their" bad scores, more than our own goals - as we were already gone. Unfortunately, "they" squeaked through, and ended fifth bottom, just above Aldershot.

Anyway this season, with the spirit that we have, I really believe that we will finally bury the ghost of 75/76.

SUFC Uncanny.jpg

Indeed. I posted weeks ago about the eerie echoes of 75/76.

Unfortunately, the adjustment of the graph to take account of the 4 extra games in 75/76, adds a bit of an unwarranted gloss suggesting that we're doing no worse than in that disasterous campaign. The 9th game of that season, at home to Burnley, was won.

Unfortunately, the adjustment of the graph to take account of the 4 extra games in 75/76, adds a bit of an unwarranted gloss suggesting that we're doing no worse than in that disasterous campaign. The 9th game of that season, at home to Burnley, was won.
As there are only 20 teams and 38 games now, compared with 22 teams and 42 games then, I have only used our results against the top 19 teams above us in 75/76, and hence discounted our 4 games against Burnley and Wolves.

yes ive posted about that season on another post ucannily the same feel to it so much hope that summer all we needed was a quality striker and who did we buy chris guthrie 😭

If I remember rightly (I was 12 at the time) we beat Villa 2-1 at the Lane in the 75/76 season and I was convinced we were going to stay up. That’s what the excitement of a win used to be like that season !!

If I remember rightly (I was 12 at the time) we beat Villa 2-1 at the Lane in the 75/76 season and I was convinced we were going to stay up. That’s what the excitement of a win used to be like that season !!
think that was february 76 we were as good as down by then

Our points have been adjusted for the number of teams and points for a win, but the comparison is quite uncanny.

The difference then was that we didn't have Chris Wilder, and we lost our spirit very early on.

The best thing about 75/76 was hoping "they" would be relegated from Division Three. As the season went on we cheered "their" bad scores, more than our own goals - as

Anyway this season, with the spirit that we have, I really believe that we will finally bury the ghost of 75/76.

View attachment 98736
You're right, but not in the way you think....

The best thing about 75/76 was hoping "they" would be relegated from Division Three. As the season went on we cheered "their" bad scores, more than our own goals - as we were already gone. Unfortunately, "they" squeaked through, and ended fifth bottom, just above Aldershot.

View attachment 98736

If that graph represents the number of points gained in respective seasons, I am afraid to have to tell you that with regard to the 1975-6 season it is wrong.

In the 1975-6 season we won our 9th game. 2-1 against Burnley. That gave us a total of 3 points,or 4 points if you factor in that it is now 3 points for a win.

We also won a League Cup game during that time - albeit against Halifax Town (4-2) and a County Cup game against Rotherham (5-0).

Regardless of whatever the reasons may be, this is our worst ever start to a season in any division.

think that was february 76 we were as good as down by then

Escape was still possible, but very unlikely. We still had 13 games left to play, but were 13 points adrift of 4th from bottom Birmingham City. With a two point win that equated to 6 wins and a draw just to make up the difference.

Had we kicked on from there with the form that we showed in our final 6 matches it might have been a close thing. Alas, we lost 5 and drew 2 of our next 7 matches. One of the defeats was a 1-4 home thrashing by fellow strugglers Wolves who went down with us. Earlier in the season we had also lost 5-1 to them at Molineux. I think a 2-9 aggregate score against a fellow relegated side just about says it all!

As it turned out, the bottom 4 positions in the final league table were occupied by the same sides as the table after the Villa game.

The only 'high' points of the season that I can remember were the 0-0 draw at home to eventual champions Liverpool and the 1-0 away win at Elland Road which extinguished any remaining faint championship hopes Leeds might have still had.

If that graph represents the number of points gained in respective seasons, I am afraid to have to tell you that with regard to the 1975-6 season it is wrong.

In the 1975-6 season we won our 9th game. 2-1 against Burnley. That gave us a total of 3 points,or 4 points if you factor in that it is now 3 points for a win.
Read post 3 on this thread.

Read post 3 on this thread.

I did. It's still wrong.

So far we are 9 games into a 38 game season. So 23.7% of the season has passed.

In 1975-6 we won our 9th game of a 42 game season. 21.5% of the season had passed.

Proportionately, in 1975-6 we were earlier in the season when the win came, so we're doing better than we are currently doing.

The first time I saw us win that season was the 3-2 home win against West Ham in April. I was at boarding school when we beat Burnley in Sept and Villa in February. I was home for the Easter holidays from school on the day before we won 3-1 at Norwich. I did make arrangements for me and my dad to meet my Norwich mate and his dad outside the players entrance before the match but after seeing the line-up in the Star, my dad and I changed our minds. I said "too many youngsters!"(sorry Ball_Sup (Phil) ) as Kenworthy and Stainrod were named in the line-up. We regretted it! I was also at the L**ds and Newcastle matches later that month (won both by a goal)

View attachment 98736
This season after 21 games is currently better than it was in 1975-76. 6 points if it was 3 points for a win in 1975-76. Goals for that season was F14 A48, this season is F12 A34. In 1975-76 we drew 4 of the next 7 games.

1612128545009.png

This season after 21 games is currently better than it was in 1975-76. 6 points if it was 3 points for a win in 1975-76. Goals for that season was F14 A48, this season is F12 A34. In 1975-76 we drew 4 of the next 7 games.

View attachment 104479

Hi Silent

As I've said somewhere above - 75/76 was a league of 22, so to compare I am comparing our results this season against the top 19 teams from 75/76 and discarding our 75/76 results against Burnley and Wolves that season. Doing that (ie discarding the win against Burnley and the loss to Wolves), and converting to 3 points, we had 4 points from 21 games played against the top 19 (draws with Derby, Man City, Ipswich and Boro).

The current state of my comparison is below. Around about this point it felt much worse back then - as we had to witness it first hand from the terraces. Once it became obvious we were down we all had a bit of fun, and the team won quite a bit at the end of the season as well.

Comparison.jpg

Back
Top Bottom