Tufty Club pod - match reactions

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Podcast has been up a few days, but not really linked anywhere after the social media Geoff Boycott. This one’s for everyone who was doubly disappointed with Sunday night’s viewing...

Twitter photo cropping did me here. Headline was lined up perfectly when it posted, then about two minutes later, it decided to shift it over.

Oh well, all in keeping with the shambolic theme.

That was poor last night. I'm not referring to Jr's defending. DB if you are too tired or depressed to do a podcast - then don't bother. You need to up your game mate or you'll lose another listener...
Yes, Olsen made a bad error for first goal as Johnson's pace & excellent chest control of the punt forward made him look foolish - but you forgot about his amazing save at 1-1 to keep score level & if you look back - everyone of his punches clear were under severe pressure from many Preston bodies around him - good punches too & not flaps at all as you accused him of.
You guys just a week or two were crying out for a plan as you couldn't see what we were trying to do to score... Now you can see a plan - which is v easy on the eye plus creating many more chances but no - major on the defensive weakness of a back up CB.
Just finding a big bugger to head it & kick it is easily fixed for God's sake!
We are all frustrated by those errors in the last few seconds but overall the Blades have more big strides forward in the last 7 days & I'm enjoying watching them again.
Listening to that dirge last night - that's depressing. Take a cheer up pill for heaven's sake!
UTB

That was poor last night. I'm not referring to Jr's defending. DB if you are too tired or depressed to do a podcast - then don't bother. You need to up your game mate or you'll lose another listener...
Yes, Olsen made a bad error for first goal as Johnson's pace & excellent chest control of the punt forward made him look foolish - but you forgot about his amazing save at 1-1 to keep score level & if you look back - everyone of his punches clear were under severe pressure from many Preston bodies around him - good punches too & not flaps at all as you accused him of.
You guys just a week or two were crying out for a plan as you couldn't see what we were trying to do to score... Now you can see a plan - which is v easy on the eye plus creating many more chances but no - major on the defensive weakness of a back up CB.
We are all frustrated by those errors in the last few seconds but overall the Blades have more big strides forward in the last 7 days & I'm enjoying watching them again.
Listening to that dirge last night - that's depressing. Take a cheer up pill for heaven's sake!
UTB
Wow, sounds like you need to take a chill pill as well. It’s just someone’s opinion , we all have different ones , especially watching a football match. Some said they thought Brewster looked good when he came on, I thought he was rubbish and was shown up by the two new young lads in terms of movement and workrate

UTB

In fairness, I agree to an extent. I never listen back, but I’d guess it was our worst pod since Southampton home in the first PL season, when DB sounded almost suicidal and I considered an intervention. Tiredness, moroseness and being time pressured are things that can mess us up, and we had it all last night. We’ve both had a lot of shit going on over the past year or more, but (hopefully) last night is the first time it showed.

Warnock-style excuses aside, I stand by a lot of the opinions though.

Most of Olsen’s punches were poor or ill-advised, and while the save was excellent, on the whole he was no better than any of a dozen performances that people panned Ramsdale for.

Slav’s ‘plan’ was great on Saturday but it didn’t work as much last night - we were much slower going forward and they broke our fluidity quite a lot. Still a huge improvement on recent weeks, but if you’re always likely to give away a couple of goals, you need to create and take more clear chances.

Anyway, it’s much better as you say, and if Slav carries on improving them at the rate he has, we should be fine. But there’s still glaring problems he doesn’t seem to be addressing yet. If the Vindaloo strategy ends up working though, fair enough.

Wow, sounds like you need to take a chill pill as well. It’s just someone’s opinion , we all have different ones , especially watching a football match. Some said they thought Brewster looked good when he came on, I thought he was rubbish and was shown up by the two new young lads in terms of movement and workrate

Cheers… and yeah, all opinions innit? Don’t think any of ours were glaringly ‘wrong’ either, but there probably was less of a relaxed feel to the pod and less crap gags… that’s the unforgivable part. We will all be fined a month’s wages. Which means someone needs to give me a tenner.

Anyway, that’s the nature of snap reaction podcasts. We never listen to or read any other opinions first, don’t see replays/reports (unless watching on TV over lockdown), and just ‘bang it out’ totally unfiltered - good, bad or bafflingly niche.

Apologies to David if I was too harsh on him the other day. His reports are always comprehensive and informative and v popular. I'm sure we all appreciate the time & effort he puts in to these each week. Of course, it is OK to be downbeat about the Blades particularly after a poor performance or a poor result which was more the case on Tue night.
I think it's also true that on nights like that that you miss the 3rd voice that Andrew used to provide. If one guy is feeling low (& sounds it) then he is only 33% of the voice as opposed to 50%.
Nevertheless keep up the good work & try to keep the Pod as entertaining as possible which at times may mean searching for bits of dark humour on the days when our beloved Blades break our hearts. UTB

Apologies to David if I was too harsh on him the other day.

Nah, he usually deserves it.

I think it's also true that on nights like that that you miss the 3rd voice that Andrew used to provide. If one guy is feeling low (& sounds it) then he is only 33% of the voice as opposed to 50%.
Nevertheless keep up the good work & try to keep the Pod as entertaining as possible which at times may mean searching for bits of dark humour on the days when our beloved Blades break our hearts. UTB

AW’s always been the positive one (DB the doom-monger, me hopefully realistic), so yeah… he was definitely missed on Tuesday. First time for everything.

Cheers guys, regarding the debate on the first half I agree with Mark and found it quite entertaining.
Good save from Olsen and goal line clearance from Billy, who then missed a decent header. Some good play from Gibbs-White and Ndiaye who also had a few chances. Penalty shout for us and some strange decisions from Stroud.
I'll put Deadbats clouded judgement down to that weird Sam Smith's lager.

I agree. DB didn't seem to notice Billy's goal line clearance - what was he doing to miss that? It wasn't a bad half of football at all - we cut one back to Gibbs White to shoot at goal only for IN to get in way of goal bound shot too. Not mentioned... A good win against a tough opponent.

UTB

I agree. DB didn't seem to notice Billy's goal line clearance - what was he doing to miss that? It wasn't a bad half of football at all - we cut one back to Gibbs White to shoot at goal only for IN to get in way of goal bound shot too. Not mentioned... A good win against a tough opponent.

UTB

Agreed… though wasn’t it Bogle? One of my few notes was “Bogle twatted Nd in the face”, but I gave up on trying to convince DB about the quality of first half, abandoned that, and moved on.

I had to laugh when DB described joining in the 'you don't know what you're doing' chant at the ref - I did exactly the same!
67 years old and not joined in a chant in years, but I couldn't resist it.

Glad you enjoy them. It’s a bit different doing them from home after watching on TV (and having the benefit of replays), but it’s still done before we’ve read or seen anything else, so just a proper in the moment reaction. We normally aim for 10-20 mins, but the lockdown ones have all been a bit over 30 mins, and this one went to an hour. Dunno what people prefer in terms of length (wahey etc), but we just couldn’t stop talking last night. What a game, what a team.
I’m a recent listener to this pod, Mark, and enjoy it’s freshness, irreverence, tasting notes advice, snack nostalgia tangents and your alternative match viewpoint, thanks, fellers.

Having read reports from Deadbat over the years my keenest observations related to the pod are:
1. I applaud your absolute dedication to pedantry on picking up the slightest misquote or unforced innuendo that David makes.
2. Most importantly, I’m delighted to hear that David sounds like a cross between Dave Best (Craig Cash in Royle Family) and Rudy Wade (Joseph Gilgun in Misfits).

I had to laugh when DB described joining in the 'you don't know what you're doing' chant at the ref - I did exactly the same!
67 years old and not joined in a chant in years, but I couldn't resist it.

You’re never too old to childishly bait people who are doing a terrible job.

I’m a recent listener to this pod, Mark, and enjoy it’s freshness, irreverence, tasting notes advice, snack nostalgia tangents and your alternative match viewpoint, thanks, fellers.

Having read reports from Deadbat over the years my keenest observations related to the pod are:
1. I applaud your absolute dedication to pedantry on picking up the slightest misquote or unforced innuendo that David makes.
2. Most importantly, I’m delighted to hear that David sounds like a cross between Dave Best (Craig Cash in Royle Family) and Rudy Wade (Joseph Gilgun in Misfits).

Cheers, and excellent spot about DB’s voice. He’s also been described as Zippy before. It’s a heady mix.

As we’re old schoolmates, I guess we never grew out of taking the piss out of each other, and I suppose that carries over to the pod. Glad you’re enjoying our particular brand of idiocy, we’ll try and keep it up (wahey, etc)

Back
Top Bottom