Transfers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fair point.
Maybe it's more a case of us trying to use him (in various roles) in our established system and his inclusion has made us worse as a team.
I see him as our Faustino Asprilla - remember Newcastle buying him?
They were absolutely flying when they bought him. He was undoubtedly a massively talented player, but he didn't fit into their system and they nosedived from that point.
Personally I don't think Berge caused us to get any worse. He just took Lundstrams spot and he was already under pressure due from Besic due to his performance levels dropping significantly.

I think Berge did ok up until the last 2 or 3 games before he got injured where I think he packed in, especially in the second half. He's been a disappointment but the circumstances have been tough (young lad, new country, pandemic, team being terrible). A long way of saying I don't think he's near the top of reasons for this situation

All managers WANT to get their business done early. Nobody says "no no let's wait until the end of January and then sign the lad, we don't need him for the next 3 weeks"

The fact that it's 7th January and we haven't brought anybody in is absolutely NOT a sign that HRH isn't backing him!!
Time will tell?

1) Too late to stay up.
2) Does HRH care about worst ever points tally enough to chuck more cash away.... as fans the majority view is probably yes it does matter
3) After what's gone before do we have any faith that the next cab off the rank will be any better...defo no
4) Will whoever comes in be match fit and up to speed..... probably not and therefore impact likely to be modest at best

Conclusion....forgerrit it.
We're gonna need a big bag of cash for compo..... and I'm talking players there!

Time will tell?

has time not already told? How many times have we broken our transfer record in the last 18 months?

Chris Wilder has been backed, our issue is our wage structure. The people running the club have clearly made a decision to grow the wage structure over a period of time instead of diving straight into premier league wages of £80,000 a week.

Maybe if we had done this we'd have got a better calibre of players in and would be in a better position, but if we did do this and then still went down then we'd definitely be in a worse position than we will be! I'm disappointed that we're staring at relegation, but optimistic that we can come back from this because the club is being run sensibly.

He just took Lundstrams spot and he was already under pressure due from Besic due to his performance levels dropping significantly.
Yep, I keep mentioning this as it's conveniently forgotten it seems - Lundstram had fallen of the cliff form-wise and was seemingly running on empty from a physical perspective.

I think there's probably some merit in the argument that Berge doesn't compliment our style of play as well as a fully fit & firing Lunny would do, but any suggestion that his signing was the cause of a downturn in form for the team is way off the mark, in my opinion at least.

I've alluded to it previously but perhaps we tried to run before we could walk with him - in a side that plays better football and has more possession he'd be a quality asset but with how we set up to play then we'd perhaps be better off with someone who works harder/more aggressively without the ball. The problem being that you never progress as a footballing team if you have a side full of Lundstram's, you merely tread water - but perhaps that should've been our aim for a while rather than developing a new style of play. I can totally understand why we signed him as you have to take the chance when that type of player becomes available otherwise it's gone for a club like us and a bigger fish steps in. Swings & roundabouts etc.

Yep, I keep mentioning this as it's conveniently forgotten it seems - Lundstram had fallen of the cliff form-wise and was seemingly running on empty from a physical perspective.

I think there's probably some merit in the argument that he doesn't compliment our style of play as well as a fully fit & firing Lunny would do, but any suggestion that his signing was the cause of a downturn in form for the team is way off the mark, in my opinion at least.

I've alluded to it previously but perhaps we tried to run before we could walk with Berge - in a side that plays better football and has more possession he'd be a quality asset but with how we set up to play then we'd perhaps be better off with someone who works harder/more aggressively without the ball. The problem being that you never progress as a footballing team if you have a side full of Lundstram's, you merely tread water - but perhaps that should've been our aim for a while rather than developing a new style of play. I can totally understand why we signed him as you have to take the chance when that type of player becomes available otherwise it's gone for a Club like us and a bigger fish steps in. Swings & roundabouts etc.
We tried to make Berge into Lundstram. It seems nuts when you type it out

Hopefully Wilder is concentrating on building a fantastic team ready for a promotion push next season.

We tried to make Berge into Lundstram. It seems nuts when you type it out
Yeah, I think we did. Or at least thought he could do a job there for half a season until we moved him into Norwood's role. Then we realised he wasn't quite up to it there. Now we have a player that can't play Norwood's role nor Lunny's role :D

Yeah, I think we did. Or at least thought he could do a job there for half a season until we moved him into Norwood's role. Then we realised he wasn't quite up to it there. Now we have a player that can't play Norwood's role nor Lunny's role :D
£23m for a tall Johliver Lunstrood

Not to pick out anyone in particular but the transfer window opened less than 5 days ago.

we have the same conversation every year - every year people moan that the deals aren't done immediately. But they literally never are. Because clubs wait and see what happens

Has their been a single PL transfer yet? No! It’s not even like it’s going to improve our result at the end of the season

has time not already told? How many times have we broken our transfer record in the last 18 months?

Chris Wilder has been backed, our issue is our wage structure. The people running the club have clearly made a decision to grow the wage structure over a period of time instead of diving straight into premier league wages of £80,000 a week.

Maybe if we had done this we'd have got a better calibre of players in and would be in a better position, but if we did do this and then still went down then we'd definitely be in a worse position than we will be! I'm disappointed that we're staring at relegation, but optimistic that we can come back from this because the club is being run sensibly.
Our acquisitions were poor regardless of price ... none of them would have been first choice surely!

Our acquisitions were poor regardless of price ... none of them would have been first choice surely!
Exactly. Granted Ramsdale is the only first team starter however im sure many fans would'nt mind Verrips as the number 1

Well we know they weren't the first choices because we know the first choices were Watkins, Robinson, Cash etc.....

But that doesn't mean that Wilder hasn't been backed. Big difference between backing the manager and just throwing wild amounts of money at players.

To make it worse Norwood and Lunny can't play those roles either.

Yes but you said many fans would be happy with him being No 1
When they see him they might not be happy with him being the first choice keeper
I think we can all grasp that without being played he cant be judged. I'm sure fans will make the judgement once we see him play. The point is that we want to see him play

I think we can all grasp that without being played he cant be judged. I'm sure fans will make the judgement once we see him play. The point is that we want to see him play
I don't think we will see him play tbh.

Wilder seems to have his favourites and will play them regardless of form.

So you would have been fine as the season started having Verrips as first choice in the PL having been here over 2 years and not played a full League game for us
You cant in the best League in the world just chuck someone in especially as a goalkeeper in the hope they are good enough

Berge has been good, poor, and for the majority of his performances here - average.

Technically he's probably our best player and even after a slow start probably our biggest asset.

He's young, talented and seems to have a great attitude.
We should build our team around him whatever division we play in next yearn.

Berge has been good, poor, and for the majority of his performances here - average.

Technically he's probably our best player and even after a slow start probably our biggest asset.

He's young, talented and seems to have a great attitude.
We should build our team around him whatever division we play in next yearn.

He reminds me of a bit of Coutts. He needs to improve significantly in several areas (protecting the ball, passing, heading, strength, fitness) but he's only young.

I do think we'll have to sell him if we go down. Not sure he'd be as good in the Championship. He doesn't seem to like the physical side of the game.

He reminds me of a bit of Coutts. He needs to improve significantly in several areas (protecting the ball, passing, heading, strength, fitness) but he's only young.

I do think we'll have to sell him if we go down. Not sure he'd be as good in the Championship. He doesn't seem to like the physical side of the game.
It’s a weird one he certainly won’t enjoy getting kicked but against lesser athletes he might look even more impressive carrying the ball.

Can see a situation where we possibly loan him out for a season if/when we go down, get his wage off the books but retain him if we’re successful in bouncing straight back.

Think Fulham did similar with Anguissa and it’s worked well for them.

Last edited:
Seriously, who would want to come???
wages are poor in comparison to other PL sides and top Championship clubs & any new arrival will be expected to take a drop after relegation.
Top end Championship players will have more chance of being in the top flight next season if they stay put.

I wouldn't touch us with a bargepole, our chance as usual has been missed. When our stock was at it's highest, we quibbled about wage scales & fees, lost out on our first choice targets to Villa & Fulham. We couldn't even prize Swift from Reading and it has cost us. 6 months later & we are a laughing stock.

Seriously, who would want to come???
wages are poor in comparison to other PL sides and top Championship clubs & any new arrival will be expected to take a drop after relegation.
Top end Championship players will have more chance of being in the top flight next season if they stay put.

I wouldn't touch us with a bargepole, our chance as usual has been missed. When our stock was at it's highest, we quibbled about wage scales & fees, lost out on our first choice targets to Villa & Fulham. We couldn't even prize Swift from Reading and it has cost us. 6 months later & we are a laughing stock.
Thats depressingly hard to argue with.

To be fair you couldn’t really blame him!!!
Blame who?
The Prince for not wanting CW to waste more money?
Or Wilder wanting to get in early and not having to make do with his 3rd and 4th choices?

Back
Top Bottom