Time for Brewster?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I really want the lad to succeed and thought he did alright, although some of the posts saying it's his best game yet, seem a bit OTT.

-The snap shot had some real power but was directed at the keeper for a routine save, but the lad is so desperate to score that he has to make sure it's on target first.
-Good running to support Fleck, but he still had a defender with him and Fleck trusted himself more than Brewster. He probably should have squared it, but he only got about half a second to think about it though.
-He went over to the John Street to 'help' a man (RND?) being closed down, but couldn't actually find space and make an angle, which seemed very basic. This part of his game really has to improve, regardless of goal scoring.

Still, the haters will hate, eh?

I think my screenshots show that he could play it first time, or even on his second forward touch, both captured above.
Once that opportunity has been lost (which is something that I've now seen several times when Brewster is in space) Brewster is then offside but has nowhere to go which won't impede Flecks run or take Sharp out the picture as a potential option.

If you're adamant that he should run left, where does the defender go, why would he follow him and ultimately nothing changes, apart from the fact he's not there for the pull back.

View attachment 121071
The defender you’ve circled is closing Fleck down no matter what but the defender to Flecks left could be dragged out or at least slowed down should Brewster bend his run. This creates two things:
1) allows fleck the option of drifting to the left and away from the defender circled.

2) allows sharp the same option but running into space and because he’s angling his run the defender May play him onside.

Again I’ll ask because this seems to be being ignored . By running in a straight line in front of fleck but offside how does he help this situation?

In the 3-3 with Man utd Fleck got on the ball in a similar area, Moose goes to the right and Didzy makes a storming run to the left making it easy for Fleck to put Moose through to score.
Last night Brewster's run sees him stood next to Billy on the right of Fleck. Forwards have to give the midfielder options and not make the same runs as the other attacker.

If Fleck squares that ball in the area and either attacker taps it in, none of this conversation about where he should or shouldn't have run happens. Its fine margins and In the game you have a moment to decide what your going to do. Sometimes decisions pay off other times they don't. Ultimately the lad's first thought is to get forward and try and get into a scoring position. That's something that's been lacking from our play for a while now so as far as I'm concerned it's good to see the willingness to get forward back in the squad.

What is his XG and the XG of the separate chances we've created for him?
I don't know what that means.

I do know that he hasn't scored a single league goal, which is surely the key measure for a striker? I'd be surprised if he has posted many assists either, given he hardly gets on the ball and then if he does, tends to waste it.

So perhaps you can explain XG's and then tell us how good at them he is.

It's a good debate (though as usual I agree with Bob and Yogi). In the heat of the moment I think Fleck made the mistake to not pass, albeit an impressive run and burst of pace.

Brewster then stayed out of Fleck's way and even got into another goalscoring position seconds later.

Brewster must be quietly pissed off Fleck didn't pass at either opportunity.

The defender you’ve circled is closing Fleck down no matter what but the defender to Flecks left could be dragged out or at least slowed down should Brewster bend his run. This creates two things:
1) allows fleck the option of drifting to the left and away from the defender circled.

2) allows sharp the same option but running into space and because he’s angling his run the defender May play him onside.

Again I’ll ask because this seems to be being ignored . By running in a straight line in front of fleck but offside how does he help this situation?
First point first, he'd be offside, so you'd just let him go. Ultimately they all concentrated on Fleck anyway, which is why it's a mute point for me. The ball should have been played in early and this has been consistently missed by our midfield when the forwards are in good positions. The difference here is at least it took it forward himself rather than going backwards or to the sides.
WRT to the running in a straight line I answered it above. He can't disappear, going left as you suggest just brings more traffic and no benefit to Fleck, and going right take him to Sharp. There's no viable alternative.

First point first, he'd be offside, so you'd just let him go. Ultimately they all concentrated on Fleck anyway, which is why it's a mute point for me. The ball should have been played in early.
WRT to the running in a straight line I answered it above. He can't disappear, going left as you suggest just brings more traffic and no benefit to Fleck, and going right take him to Sharp. There's no viable alternative.
It looks like we’re going to have to agree to disagree. When all’s said and done I think Blades just want Brewster to do well and come good, the thought of 24 million down the drain just doesn’t bare thinking about.

All this only serves to emphasise that there`s nowt as good as an early ball. Fleck take note.

It might be time for Brewster but it wouldn't be for Billy. It would have to be for Ndiaye in that wide position (and I don't think he deserves dropping after 1.5 / 2 good games).

Brewster looks good when he has a bit of time on the ball and is facing goal (like Callum Robinson). He looked a nice footballer last night. Good touch, decent intent, some nice link up play. I don't think he's ready to lead the line and do the hustle and bustle. Our only two options there are Sharp & McBurnie.

You've just screenshot the view once the opportunity to play him through has gone and he can't disappear, can't go left else he pulled the defender towards Fleck and they let him go anyway because he'll be way offside. If he goes right then he's into Sharp's run and his defender. He literally has nowhere to go once the pass isn't released. This is shown by your screenshots.
It's also funny because everyone slagging Brewster off for continuing to be offside (when he wasn't initially), nobody has mentioned that Sharp is offside the whole time too.

Billy is Billy though, Brewster is Brewster.

There was a run to the byline by Baldock, just after we scored. He cut it back but Sharp was outnumbered 3 to 1 and the ball was cleared. The replay from behind the goal showed Brewster loitering just inside the box behind a defender, when he should have been tear-arsing in towards the near post. His positional sense is severely lacking for a striker, I'm afraid.

I disagree with that it’s literally a split second when the ball arrives at Flecks feet unexpectedly and you’re saying he should instinctively knock it forward straight away first time for the split second Brewster is on side? I mean it’s possible but most footballers would take a touch to control it and look up. As soon as he does that then Brewster should peel to the left and that is what the pictures show.
Spot on

All our misfiring forwards would look better in this set up, at this level. But, I don't see the evidence Brewster would be better than any of the others. He will get game time, up top or out wide and he simply go to take his chance and displace those in possession at present

Can we just stop giving him unwarranted criticism for once by analysing every bit of movement. He did well when he came on, lets just leave if at that. Made a really good pass to MGW in the build up for our second and linked up really well with MGW at times.

If there was an error there is it was Sharp’s he could see exactly where Brewster was. See picture 3 in my screenshot above.
But isn't billy intelligently holding of the defender. He's ensuring Brewster has that space all to himself.

Billy a really intelligent footballer, even though he's taken some flack for the final free kick.

My issue is Brewster doesn’t offer anything he neither makes himself an option as he’s offside...
Though he clearly does make himself an option if so many posters are saying fleck should have squared it to him for a tap in.

If there was an error there is it was Sharp’s he could see exactly where Brewster was. See picture 3 in my screenshot above.
Yeah I wasn’t really trying to blame Brewster. Maybe sharp with the extra experience and nous should have hung back a bit. It’s just frustrating as it’s such a rareity to see two strikers haring in to the box to support after the last 18 months that neither were in a position to capitalise on a tap in

Yeah I wasn’t really trying to blame Brewster. Maybe sharp with the extra experience and nous should have hung back a bit. It’s just frustrating as it’s such a rareity to see two strikers haring in to the box to support after the last 18 months that neither were in a position to capitalise on a tap in
Hopefully us getting the ball in the box and looking for a earlier balls is something we’re going to see more of so they’ll get more used to it. There’s been more progressive passes in the final third in the last two games than we’ve seen on the previous ten. Long may it continue.

Back
Top Bottom