Tifo - Why Not At Bramall Lane?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

not orchestrated by someone with a loud hailer with their back to the action.
This misses a bit how it tends to work. The guy with the loud hailer's job is generally to 'catch' the chants/songs that are starting organically and to amplify them so they don't just die out after one round.

There is some orchestration at certain points, e.g. after the match, or when the fans are failing to produce anything.

I think I've said it before on here, but the main reason it is less of a feature in England is because the English are much more of the mindset that, "no twat's going to tell me what to do," whereas having a caller is just expected and appreciated on the continent as it helps us get our act together. I donate each match to the collection which is to pay for tifo/banner/pyro. The pyro is generally restricted to before/after the match time and is controlled - fans hold the flares/smokebombs and then they are passed over to the firecrews, who bucket them.

I'm not a hooli or on the marching powder. I'm a middle-aged bloke who likes a good atmosphere (as it makes up for the generally shit football). I enjoy that there is rarely a break in the singing at matches and though it's a small club with an average home attendance of 5,000, I reckon the atmosphere is better than at Bramall Lane. I also used to rib my BCN friend about how the atmosphere at Bramall Lane was better than at the Nou Camp, which it was back in the day.

This misses a bit how it tends to work. The guy with the loud hailer's job is generally to 'catch' the chants/songs that are starting organically and to amplify them so they don't just die out after one round.

There is some orchestration at certain points, e.g. after the match, or when the fans are failing to produce anything.

I think I've said it before on here, but the main reason it is less of a feature in England is because the English are much more of the mindset that, "no twat's going to tell me what to do," whereas having a caller is just expected and appreciated on the continent as it helps us get our act together. I donate each match to the collection which is to pay for tifo/banner/pyro. The pyro is generally restricted to before/after the match time and is controlled - fans hold the flares/smokebombs and then they are passed over to the firecrews, who bucket them.

I'm not a hooli or on the marching powder. I'm a middle-aged bloke who likes a good atmosphere (as it makes up for the generally shit football). I enjoy that there is rarely a break in the singing at matches and though it's a small club with an average home attendance of 5,000, I reckon the atmosphere is better than at Bramall Lane. I also used to rib my BCN friend about how the atmosphere at Bramall Lane was better than at the Nou Camp, which it was back in the day.
For the record, I'm not against the culture of tifos, pyros, orchestrated atmospheres etc. I love the Copa90 videos on youtube and the work of writers like James Montague. I think it looks great and it certainly makes for a good spectacle and atmosphere.
I just don't see why we should feel the need to adopt someone else's football culture when we have a rich football culture of our own. It would feel contrived and let's face it, would be a timid and sanitised version of what we see on the continent or in South America. I don't think the British display their passion in the same way as some other fanbases and it would be an awkward fit. There's a reason we're stereotyped as having a stiff upper lip.
We've got a traditional northern football club still located in the centre of the city in a beautiful and unique old stadium. Generations of the same family are comfortable attending the games together. Friends can meet before and after the game in the same old boozers that have stood in the same places for 100+ years. Pies, Bovril, Victorian terraces, half-day Saturdays, grey, drizzle, jumpers for goalposts, flat caps, rattles and rosettes...British football culture...marvellous ;)

Jesus, thought everyone knew what a Tifo is, but just for you (obviously non footy fan people), let me explain.
Tifo is the word used to describe a colourful, vibrant and usually choreographed visual display by football supporters. It is also a phenomenon in other sports, such as cycling and auto racing.

Displays of a tifo normally occur within stadiums before and during games but can also take place outside a ground.

In many cases the visual displays are carefully planned and often each individual supporter forms part of a mosaic by wearing or holding a particular colour.
First time I’ve ever heard the word tifo. Is it an acronym?

So you're claiming the above is all true and would prevent our club being able to organise any sort of display, when we already have photo graphic evidence of it actually being done.
Be honest, the only reason you could possibly use at the minute is that it doesn't happen because no one can be arsed to try and they would rather moan while doing sweet fuck all.
Exactly
The same moaning old twats that distributed a 100,000 yellow balloons to our supporters in the 90's and thought it was a wonderful spectacle (which it was) are now using their new found grown up responsible status to rubbish anything that anyone suggests

Part of that is a culture which has held this club back for decades.

I find it depressing how many of our fans think we can only be successful with locals heavily involved at the coalface. Look at those worrying we won't have a Blade in the dressing room now Billy has gone.

Rather be the plucky underdog. Fuck that we've been it too often in my lifetime. I want some proper tangible success before I shuffle off, seeing us achieve something that every other club of our stature, and a fair few smaller, have done in my lifetime.

It's frightening how many I know who say they prefer it when we're shit as they like the smaller away followings with 'proper' Blades.

See the panic when we're linked with foreign owners or managers. "They don't get us" No, you dont get them.

I'm not into bands like Palace by any stretch and I'm realistic about the atmospheres at certain matches but there's no doubt we have more than our fair share of miserable sods who can't cope with any remote change.
Change is not good

Good footballers are all cheats and divers, we don't want any of them

Great footballers are even bigger cheats and divers, we definitely don't want any of them.

Good footballers might get the young brat in front of me out of his seat occasionally, we don't want any of them.

Great players will definitely get the young brat in front of me out of his seat, we definitely don't want any of them.

I go to the match to have 12 pints wi mi mates and a pie, then a sleep, I don't want anybody interrupting any of that or I'll smack him round the back of his head whilst he's not looking

Yeah, and the capos will tell you to put phones away!

It would mean that people actually have to put effort in rather than just going to the pub / dealer pre match
I'd accepted that it wouldn't be something that would appeal, as you say, it takes time, effort, knowledge and
finances. Maybe if the older neighbours across the city started something, then United supporters would
follow suit?

I'd accepted that it wouldn't be something that would appeal, as you say, it takes time, effort, knowledge and
finances. Maybe if the older neighbours across the city started something, then United supporters would
follow suit?
We’ve not started waving our mobile phone torches as yet, but I’m sure if they go down the path of further forced fan engagement we won’t do that either.

We’ve not started waving our mobile phone torches as yet, but I’m sure if they go down the path of further forced fan engagement we won’t do that either.
But that only takes the slightest act of connection.

At Parkhead, it happens on the 67th minute, night matches. A fabulous sight when over 55,000 light
up the stadium in tribute to The Lisbon Lions. That's not forced.

I understand that it's just the 'noise' that creates the atmosphere at Bramall Lane.
I hope that next season there's not a moment when the levels are libraryesque!

But that only takes the slightest act of connection.

At Parkhead, it happens on the 67th minute, night matches. A fabulous sight when over 55,000 light
up the stadium in tribute to The Lisbon Lions. That's not forced.

I understand that it's just the 'noise' that creates the atmosphere at Bramall Lane.
I hope that next season there's not a moment when the levels are libraryesque!
I’m hoping there will be a moment when it’s not libraryesque! But I’d sooner have that than forced “insta” moments.

I’m hoping there will be a moment when it’s not libraryesque! But I’d sooner have that than forced “insta” moments.
I'm not sure that those who create the Tifo's no matter which country they reside in create them simply for
Insta/TikTok. Far more they can do that costs nothing in time, effort, finances.

Which area of Bramall Lane on a matchday is the best for atmosphere, that includes the away end, would you say?

I'm not sure that those who create the Tifo's no matter which country they reside in create them simply for
Insta/TikTok. Far more they can do that costs nothing in time, effort, finances.

Which area of Bramall Lane on a matchday is the best for atmosphere, that includes the away end, would you say?
Back of the Kop always been my “go to” place (since John Street terracing done away with). H block has its moments.. away fans often enjoy themselves after a day in the Sheffield pubs.

For the record, I'm not against the culture of tifos, pyros, orchestrated atmospheres etc. I love the Copa90 videos on youtube and the work of writers like James Montague. I think it looks great and it certainly makes for a good spectacle and atmosphere.
I just don't see why we should feel the need to adopt someone else's football culture when we have a rich football culture of our own.

The point I think is that there's room for both? I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that the Kop become an entirely capo led organised chanting section for 90+ minutes, at the same time I'm not sure that holding up a bit of card or waving a flag for a couple of minutes before kickoff is that much of a hardship for those that want to sit down and shut up for the 90 unless "VAR fucks us over" or there is some other trigger for them to put their Bovril down and say something

Back of the Kop always been my “go to” place (since John Street terracing done away with). H block has its moments.. away fans often enjoy themselves after a day in the Sheffield pubs.
Is that the area that was sectioned off last season? The rear of Shoreham Street.

The point I think is that there's room for both? I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that the Kop become an entirely capo led organised chanting section for 90+ minutes, at the same time I'm not sure that holding up a bit of card or waving a flag for a couple of minutes before kickoff is that much of a hardship for those that want to sit down and shut up for the 90 unless "VAR fucks us over" or there is some other trigger for them to put their Bovril down and say something
Imagine the hardship some folk will endure if they create a safe-standing area?
They'll be melting their season cards in communal bonfires across the city.

Exactly
The same moaning old twats that distributed a 100,000 yellow balloons to our supporters in the 90's and thought it was a wonderful spectacle (which it was) are now using their new found grown up responsible status to rubbish anything that anyone suggests
If you’re not actively organising it you’re a part of the problem.

I was part of the group that organised, amongst other things, the red card protests against Brealey. Which took some doing in the pre internet days. We took all sorts of stick (including some violence) from other Blades who didn’t like it. But we still went ahead & made a big success of it because we weren’t a bunch of whiny little fannies.

If the younger generation want tifo, a singing section or anything else maybe they need to get on with making it happen instead of bleating about other fans.

If you’re not actively organising it you’re a part of the problem.

I was part of the group that organised, amongst other things, the red card protests against Brealey. Which took some doing in the pre internet days. We took all sorts of stick (including some violence) from other Blades who didn’t like it. But we still went ahead & made a big success of it because we weren’t a bunch of whiny little fannies.

If the younger generation want tifo, a singing section or anything else maybe they need to get on with making it happen instead of bleating about other fans.
Ahhh was it you who's face I punched in defending good ol Reg

Back
Top Bottom