This time next year...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When he was 31...

Joined us...

Won player of the month awards...

Made the PFA team of the year...

Almost got top scorer in the division...

Became the first Blade to score 4 in a match since Keith Edwards...

Oh...and helped get us to the PL.

Screenshot_20210418-120740_Chrome.jpg

And I'm not sure about you, but I'd class Bury (where we signed him from) as "lacking basic competence", seeing as they're not actually a football club anymore and all that.

When he was 31...

Joined us...

Won player of the month awards...

Made the PFA team of the year...

Almost got top scorer in the division...

Became the first Blade to score 4 in a match since Keith Edwards...

Oh...and helped get us to the PL.

View attachment 110911

And I'm not sure about you, but I'd class Bury (where we signed him from) as "lacking basic competence", seeing as they're not actually a football club anymore and all that.
But they were then. And he played very well. That's not the same as being individually and collectively terrible

"Are players near or at 30, who've seemed to lack even basic competence at times for well over 12 months going to suddenly become some of the better players in the Championship?"

You asked a question dude, I just provided an answer!

He got 15 in 32 for Bury in L1, hardly fine form, I'd be willing to bet my mortgage on any of our current strikers getting 15 goals in League 1

Far to early to predict. Wai until we find out who is the new manager, which players are leaving and who is coming in.
It’s far too early which I why I don’t understand the point of the negativity. We could be absolute shit, we could be promoted or we could be somewhere in between but the bottom line is that it’s a lower standard than we’re playing at now so it’s not unreasonable to expect the majority of the players who look shit now to look better next season. If we’re crap next season, we’re crap, there’s nothing I can do about that so what’s the point of getting upset about something that hasn’t happened yet? I’m bored shitless of reading how shit our players have been, I’ve got eyes, I don’t need it pointing out to me. I’ve also got a memory and can recall how quickly the likes of Basham, Coutts, Freeman went from being hopeless to brilliant, without even dropping down a division.

I see a lot of Huddersfield past few years in our future without actually hitting on some signings next season.

this squad has no creativity at all, we are not going to score enough goals next season either.

I think none of us know really until we see who the manager is, who leaves and who comes in.....

I do not see us doing a Norwich or even a Watford based on the fact there is a lot to change in terms of management, formation, tactics, ethos etc

Even Bournemouth had a far more talented squad. Huddersfield seems a better comparison but I do think we have more assets than they had when they went down (they sold Mooy and Grant later on but not many others)

If I had to take a punt now despite saying we cannot say, I would reckon we'd be around mid table next season - maybe pushing for top 10 but think so many players confidence and game will have been hit by this season. So that is definitely sitting on the fence!

Asking so many players to flip around form and fitness in 7 or 8 weeks before next season albeit in a lower league will be tough. Either we go with the majority of what we have, tweak it or change a lot. I think whatever we do will mean there is not the fluency or sense of clarity in a plan and a lot to sort in a short period. This is why getting a manager in before the end of the season so he can do some form of assessment etc will outweigh him presiding over a few defeats and the natural rubbish of he has not changed anything etc. Even if he is appointed and has a watching brief of training/matches for the last few and Hecky remains in charge.

I look at Norwich as an example. Pukki started in the PL OK, but never scored nearly as many goals as he does in the Championship, they finished bottom (points are irrelevent, they were, like us, the worst team in the PL last season)

Also, Dominic Solanke - Scored 2 goals in PL last season for Bmouth (both came in the last 2 games), now among the top scorers in the division for a team performing pretty badly.

I'm hopeful Brewster and McBurnie will be firing goals in week in week out, just because they can't do it in PL doesn't mean they can't in the Championship

One thing we can't score so we need quality of we lose say 8 players that's a big rebuild we sell say Egan oconnel Berge then we have to replace them it costs money I see top 10 next year but jokanovic comes in maybe top 6 .

Norwood, Fleck will be considered among the best midfielders in the division. Ramsdale will likely be considered one of the better GK's too.

Brewster and McBurnie knocking goals in, but mainly Norwood and Fleck being amongst the Championships best midfielders - laughable.

McBurnie has 31 goals in 59 championship games. Brewster has 10 in 20.

Both now have more experience and a point to prove.

It’s hardly deluded to think they will score goals. They do score goals at that level. They’ve proved it already.

McBurnie has 31 goals in 59 championship games. Brewster has 10 in 20.

Both now have more experience and a point to prove.

It’s hardly deluded to think they will score goals. They do score goals at that level. They’ve proved it already.
I really hope you are right mate, certainly for the money we've paid for them we should get some goals return

Even if we are absolutely magnificent we won't finish first, we'll always play second fiddle to somebody

2nd would be fantastic mind, but I can't see it.

We got promoted because Wilder was on the ball and got the best out of some incredibly average players

Now he's gone and I don't think any other manager will get the same level of performance from them, and I don't think there will be any improvements coming in.

There's too much damage been done for me, I can't see us rebounding back up again

When we were promoted 18/19 season we were well honed but if you look at our last match the only players that are missing are Hendo and Duffy the additions which I’m suggesting are better than what we had in the Championship are Brewster, McBernie, Berge, Bogle so we are in a better place providing we can get a few to stay the sticky wicket will be who we get to manage us!

Back
Top Bottom