This sums SUFC up down to a tee

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's not what he's saying. He's saying we're being quoted ridiculous prices for players. And it's probably true. Was speaking to a scout for a club in the south/south-west and he said a lot of clubs add 25-50% to a fee if we enquire. Whether that's down to us being mugs in the transfer market prior to this season, or that the perception is still out there that we are big spenders at this level he didn't elaborate. So, player X is subject to a query by Scunthorpe, £200k; Sheffield United enquire about same player £300k, please.

There is no going rate. There's what clubs can get and what clubs are willing to pay. Others still think we should pay more than everyone else.

I really do find this hard to believe sadly. It's just another excuse for us not showing any ambition and our complete incompetence at getting quality players into this club - coupled with our cannot wait to make a buck attitude in selling our best players.

I do not get why a club would suddenly think 'Hang on its Sheffield United on the phone; bump up the price.' If they want to take the cash they will take it whether it is or Scunthorpe. I think Wilder and others are overstating our significance and becoming rather paranoid. Clubs arent selling us players as we are in most cases offering diddly squat. I think it is quite simple.

It is simple. You sell your best players and replace them with weaker ones and you will get progressively worse.We have been doing this for a long time now but pattern has worsened over the last few years.

I really do find this hard to believe sadly. It's just another excuse for us not showing any ambition and our complete incompetence at getting quality players into this club - coupled with our cannot wait to make a buck attitude in selling our best players.

I do not get why a club would suddenly think 'Hang on its Sheffield United on the phone; bump up the price.' If they want to take the cash they will take it whether it is or Scunthorpe. I think Wilder and others are overstating our significance and becoming rather paranoid. Clubs arent selling us players as we are in most cases offering diddly squat. I think it is quite simple.

It is simple. You sell your best players and replace them with weaker ones and you will get progressively worse.We have been doing this for a long time now but pattern has worsened over the last few years.

I've just watched an episode of Class of. 92 and their ownership of Salford City. Gary Neville says quite clearly that clubs increase transfer fees and players expect more because of who they are.

That's at their level.

Regarding the Clough jizzing money up the wall bit;

He signed 20+ players and we've binned, or are in the process of binning, the entire lot.

They've all gone on to worse things, other than Brayford who has clearly cost us a fortune, done nothing, and needed an idiot to take him off our hands.

It's pretty clear that Clough jizzed money up the wall.

UTB

Yup - not denying he signed players - he did.

What my point is, is that I don't think it was anywhere near as much in cash as people make out. And to me, he walked when he asked about 'real investment', which I think was kinda promised to us when HRH was brought on board, wasn't it?

pommpey

Just a note to say that it seems that Prince Abdullah no longer involved in any capacity. Let alone investment.

Yes. And it depends on what you mean by 'overpay'. Currently I'd say we need at least £10m spending on our midfield and £8m on the back four. And yes, I understand, that money isn't sat in the tea caddy in the pantry with a rubber band round it. It needs finding. Plus their wages.

But that is the reality of us going where we should be going.

How much have we spent? Does anyone know? I ask this all the time, yet there's this massive assumption Cluff jizzed millions up the wall. I wish people would stop making these assumptions. If McCabe had given Clough what he wanted, we wouldn't have shipped five goals at Swindon and the two at home. We'd have been playing with decent centre backs - including Maguire, who we flogged. We'd be up there in the Championship now.

Rubbish. The managers have changed. you'd thik at least one of them would have had some sort of effect. We have sold players and the managers have been on zero cash to bring players in in perspective to the talent going out. One day, people will stop blaming those blameless and rescourceless for our failings and aim their criticism in the right direction.

pommpey

I cannot like this post enough. Agree, utterly and totally. Even down to the amounts someone needs to find to get us out of this shit hole.

It's a pretty simple solution really. If the players market value is £Xk and we are quoted £Yk then we say "no thank you we want to pay £Yk".

The selling club then either sells to us for £Yk or to someone else offering the same. In the case that the player goes somewhere else it's either that:

a) The selling club didn't want to sell to us.

b) The player didn't want to sign for us (for financial or personal reasons).

c) We were outbid and some other mugs paid more than market value.

If a) happens there's not much we can do apart from hope that other clubs don't do the same in future.

If b) happens then I'd be happy that we've not offered daft wages or that we didn't end up signing someone who wasn't bothered about the club.

If c) continues to happen then our calculation of market value is flawed and we need to pay up or think of a better excuse.

They assume al other clubs have the same small time pathetic attitude as United when it comes to player sales

Because we let players go easily they think every other club should do the same

what makes you think that ?

Three years since the famous "Gamechanging Investment" announcement
Two years since Prince was summoned back to Saudi
One year since the famous window of no permanent signings (apart from Sharp)
This window: No-hopers and has-beens in - academy players out

I see a trend here

Three years since the famous "Gamechanging Investment" announcement
Two years since Prince was summoned back to Saudi
One year since the famous window of no permanent signings (apart from Sharp)
This window: No-hopers and has-beens in - academy players out

I see a trend here
So why does that mean the Prince is no longer involved in any capacity ? He might have decided to limit his (substantial losses) but may still have an influence at Board level

So why does that mean the Prince is no longer involved in any capacity ? He might have decided to limit his (substantial losses) but may still have an influence at Board level
Maybe he's backed off if the stories from last season are true? KM was supposed to have had Parkinson lined up and the Prince insisted on Adkins. Perhaps he's now admitted that he knows nowt about football and left it to KM to sort out, while saying 'no more money unless we go up'. He's not that rich for a club owner and couldn't afford to keep pissing money away.

Back
Top Bottom