"They don't look like a team challenging for the play-offs"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeh, you know what I mean though.

Brian Clough was charismatic. His son Nigel is dour, Garner is dour. Morgan is dour. Peter Taylor was dour. All these dour people just need one bright spark. My guess is Simon Clough is dour too, though who knows, who is he?? Does he exist?

Management teams are about a mix of personalities and skills. We've got all the easy bits without the charisma!!:(

Give me a manager who has had a charisma bypass , as long as we get promotion . Closer the day of reckoning comes for the play off semi final , i become more convinced we are going to win it , and the final . Clough knows how to set teams up for important games , so in a nutshell , we do look like a team challenging for the play offs , in answer to the title thread you posted.

We are in em to win em- simple.

UTB

Give me a manager who has had a charisma bypass , as long as we get promotion . Closer the day of reckoning comes for the play off semi final , i become more convinced we are going to win it , and the final . Clough knows how to set teams up for important games , so in a nutshell , we do look like a team challenging for the play offs , in answer to the title thread you posted.

We are in em to win em- simple.

UTB

Of course we are in 'em to win 'em and I'll be there rooting for us.

The OP was about two main things:

1. We have to change a lot to win through as Clough seems to have failings which hold his sides back.
2. We need to sign better players in future. Our recruitment has been tardy and poor and is one of Clough's main failings.

The title was cribbed from a Twitter by Linz from the ground and anybody could have written it in any of dozens of games this season, particularly these past few weeks.

You're right that does not mean we won't win the play-offs.

Of course we are in 'em to win 'em and I'll be there rooting for us.

The OP was about two main things:

1. We have to change a lot to win through as Clough seems to have failings which hold his sides back.
2. We need to sign better players in future. Our recruitment has been tardy and poor and is one of Clough's main failings.

The title was cribbed from a Twitter by Linz from the ground and anybody could have written it in any of dozens of games this season, particularly these past few weeks.

You're right that does not mean we won't win the play-offs.

Woody , IMO , we already have the nucleus of a damn good squad . Football teams evolve whether you go up , down , or stay mid table. To be fair to Clough , he has been building for a season and a half , so up to press , i would say he is on the right track.

Bristol City has set the benchmark this season , but dare i say , again IMO , that Cotterell bloke did it with more luck than good judgement . He will be out of a job this time next year .

Out of all the top six team managers in league 1 , i would go for Clough , who will have longevity at BDTBL , with what he is doing. OK i have had a right moan , especially at Yeovil , but for the Blades , there is know one out there who could do better , and not finish up bankrupting us.

UTB

He didn't look much until Clough showed up though did he?

or, you could say that very few of them actually looked like professional footballers whilst Weir was there. I'd hardly give Clough credit for Coady. He has since played 44 games for a Championship side. Not that Clough doesn't deserve credit for Flynn, Murphy and others.

I have resisted posting on this particular thread but here goes.

Following the 1-1 away draw at Orient there was one random remark 'they just don't look like a team challenging for the play-offs' This has resulted in a 80+ post thread many criticizing everything Sheffield United including the manager's brother!

In contrast, Roy's excellent 'A View From... ' attracts 6 replies where the opposition state we should have won. If we lose and we get criticized by opposition fans Roy's thread is usually around top spot for a couple of days attracting loads of posts. If we get positive responses it gets relegated to Page 2 within 48 hours.

Bergen (post 74) added some reality - 'Thought we were OK at Orient...' But many Blades don't want to hear that. They'd rather keep the negative stuff flowing.f

S'pose it's the Blades Way

Ok against a side fighting to avoid relegation is hardly looking like a team challenging for the play-offs. Albeit, Swindon probably look worse at the moment.

Woody , you would have a moan if we signed Messi . He would be too small or he wore pink boots. Steve Davies has brought another dimension to the side and what i have seen of him , he gives it all , holds the ball up well , and works hard at his game.

The goal ratio , will improve . Give him time , bearing in mind he is not a out and out goal scorer .

UTB
I agree Davis has a nice touch ,holds up well but he's ordinary he's had his day.
How I wish we could have signed Ogrady with Done they'd have terrorised L1 defences

Woody , IMO , we already have the nucleus of a damn good squad . Football teams evolve whether you go up , down , or stay mid table. To be fair to Clough , he has been building for a season and a half , so up to press , i would say he is on the right track.

Bristol City has set the benchmark this season , but dare i say , again IMO , that Cotterell bloke did it with more luck than good judgement . He will be out of a job this time next year .

Out of all the top six team managers in league 1 , i would go for Clough , who will have longevity at BDTBL , with what he is doing. OK i have had a right moan , especially at Yeovil , but for the Blades , there is know one out there who could do better , and not finish up bankrupting us.

UTB

I think you may be right that Clough will be with us a long time as the Board have set him up with the infrastructure and the tools to do the job. Because I also can see that happening and after having studied his past career and watched carefully everything he has done with us in the past 18 months, I fear in two years or so we will be saying " Ah well, Clough was good but not good enough, there was something in his make up which held us back, usually there or thereabouts but never quite there".

In it's current situation this club needs an achiever not a man with no record of success. If as you say Cotterill will struggle next season and you can imagine this manager and squad doing any better then I hope you are right. I will be gobsmacked but delighted.

We support a team who play a game. I don't ever want to be thought of as someone who takes myself or any of this too seriously. But you go ahead and play the grown up, it suits you.
Watch it Bladesway he has a badge for everybody who crosses him

I'd hardly give Clough credit for Coady.

The following is an excerpt from an interview with Coady and a reporter from the Liverpool Echo about his time at United - seems to suggest Clough had a significant impact on his time here.

UTB

“I really needed that year away,” Coady told the ECHO.

“It was massive in terms of my development and growing up both as a person and a player.

“I couldn't be more grateful to Sheffield United. Everything about it was fantastic from the players to the manager, the backroom staff and the fans. It was all superb for me.

“There is a massive difference between Academy football and playing in the Football League.

“When I first went there it was a big shock. It was very quick and people were in your face.

“You realise fast how much it means to be winning games. And you learn how to win games. It means everything to players when you go down there.

“I feel like my game benefited a lot. For me as a person it was about trying to get on the ball in tight situations and Nigel Clough liked you playing.

“He was big on me trying to get forward and scoring goals. I got into the box a lot more and I enjoyed playing that role.”

The following is an excerpt from an interview with Coady and a reporter from the Liverpool Echo about his time at United - seems to suggest Clough had a significant impact on his time here.

UTB

“I really needed that year away,” Coady told the ECHO.

“It was massive in terms of my development and growing up both as a person and a player.

“I couldn't be more grateful to Sheffield United. Everything about it was fantastic from the players to the manager, the backroom staff and the fans. It was all superb for me.

“There is a massive difference between Academy football and playing in the Football League.

“When I first went there it was a big shock. It was very quick and people were in your face.

“You realise fast how much it means to be winning games. And you learn how to win games. It means everything to players when you go down there.

“I feel like my game benefited a lot. For me as a person it was about trying to get on the ball in tight situations and Nigel Clough liked you playing.

“He was big on me trying to get forward and scoring goals. I got into the box a lot more and I enjoyed playing that role.”
A player who did thrive under Clough a few more did as well.
I bought a season ticket on the back of last season first since the premiership season.
We know why it's gone wrong but should it have?
I'm afraid fear is the key with Clough
Still time to redeem himself though

A player who did thrive under Clough a few more did as well.
I bought a season ticket on the back of last season first since the premiership season.
We know why it's gone wrong but should it have?
I'm afraid fear is the key with Clough
Still time to redeem himself though

Indeed - if we had signed Coady and kept Maguire, we certainly would have done much better - hindsight is a wonderful tool though.

and yes, still time.

We can help by putting as many in the Lane as possible a week on Thursday. Decent prices for the game and it's then down to the players really - they need to step up to the plate, as they say. As good or as bad as Clough is, he can't really do much now.

UTB

Indeed - if we had signed Coady and kept Maguire, we certainly would have done much better - hindsight is a wonderful tool though.

and yes, still time.

We can help by putting as many in the Lane as possible a week on Thursday. Decent prices for the game and it's then down to the players really - they need to step up to the plate, as they say. As good or as bad as Clough is, he can't really do much now.

UTB
Show the application like we did at Barnsley we'll do it

Back
Top Bottom