Match Thread The Unofficial Dingles Match Day Thread

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Probably what I expected to see out of a derby match. A bit disappointed at conceding twice late on but we still got the win and three points so it worked out in the end. They are fighting for their lives so understandable that they are going to have a go towards the end of the game.

Bringing our experienced players on shouldn't result in that clusterfuck. The players need to take a very long look at themselves. Yeah we lost pace, but we keep the ball the rest of the time - Why not at 3-0?

Having pace on made Barnsley defend deep so we had space to pass. As soon as we switched to Sharp & McGoldrick they were able to defend far higher and force us into kicking it back to them and hanging on.

Not convincing but we’ll take the points.
We’ve generally been unlucky this season….been the best team but still drew or lost…often with last kick of the game goals conceded.
So it’s nice to gain 3 points when we could have thrown it away.

Incredibly we’re now only 3 points behind a play-off spot….but there’s loads of teams in contention.

I haven’t been able to find a reliable stream - how poor were the goals conceded?

I thought their goals were well taken. Sure, we were panic-stricken at the back on the second goal but it's the easiest thing in the world to criticise something, anything, when you concede.

Strange thing is, having done nothing for 70 minutes Barnsley then attacked like mad till they got 2 goals - ended up having 15 minutes left to find another and did feck all in that time. I'll take that 10+ minute spell as an aberration.

Low quality game in general. The goals, though, will make the match look magnificent.

Having pace on made Barnsley defend deep so we had space to pass. As soon as we switched to Sharp & McGoldrick they were able to defend far higher and force us into kicking it back to them and hanging on.
They're a terrible team, the players out there shouldn't be left scrambling like that. Pace or no pace. If we can't control a game when 3-0, we're going to have serious issues all season.

You take
100% this, Sharp and Didzy should never be on the field at the same time ever again. End of.

If you offered me 3-0 leads that end up 3-2 for the rest of the season I’d take that.. not sure my blood pressure would but we were told to expect and knew that results such as this were to be expected.

A win is a win. Thankfully I'm at work so dint have to watch the shit.
Only 3pts from play offs now. Onwards and upwards. UTB

They're a terrible team, the players out there shouldn't be left scrambling like that. Pace or no pace. If we can't control a game when 3-0, we're going to have serious issues all season.
I don't disagree with any of that, only pointing out why we struggled to pass it around like we were doing before. For what it's worth I think we should have taken 1 or 2 of the chances & 2 on 1 breaks when Moose & N'Diaye were still on and made it 4 or 5 and that wouldn't have happened.

Slav's teams tend to concede a lot, but outscore the opposition

I guess they are a bag of nerves following an appalling 18 months of being thoroughly outplayed most weeks. The mentality of the team is broken probably beyond repair and many of these players need shipping out so that we can rebuild a new team with a new mentality. Unfortunately that takes years. Look at Stoke for a recent example of our situation.

Yes,
It doesn't happen very often in football when 3-0 with 10 minutes to go ends up being a backs to the wall scrap.

But when it does, you can bet your life it'll be Sheffield United

What a strange game. The vast majority of it was just scrappy nothingness. Both teams giving the ball away regularly and misplacing passes. We were just about the better side but any result could have happened there. Criminal to almost let a 3 goal lead slip though. I thought we didn't look like we had a plan until the period around the 2 goals. We then went back to being sloppy again but had a few good chances on the break as they threw men forward.

Olsen - 5.5 - Not at fault for the goals but his distribution was fairly poor and he's far from a calming influence when we need it.
Stevens - 5.5 - Very mixed. some good, some bad. Got caught a bit on the ball but did some good stuff going forward
Davies - 6.5 - Our best defender for me. Been a bit critical about him but he got his body in the way today but needs to stop with the loose passing.
Egan - 5 - Thought he was poor. Dreadful header that they could easily have scored from and iffy on the first goal. Looked like a mistake waiting to happen, at times
Baldock - 6 - Strange one. Did some good stuff going forward but also was too casual at times on the ball. I thought Styles had his number at times but kept going and drive us forward
Fleck - 4.5 - Lost the ball badly a couple of times and poor defensive place. Almost got forward and scored but nowhere near good enough in midfield.
Norwood - 5 - For a ball player he did very little. Continually slowed us down and passed backwards. Needs to be braver going forward
Osborn - 6 - Our worst player first half. Gave the ball away time after time and his passing was all over the shop. Kept going and set up the second and scored the third. Still, not good enough levels at the moment
Ndiaye - 6 - He's such a frustrating player. Great workrate and looks dangerous every time he's on the ball but flatters to decieve all too often. Very little end product but our only bright spark first half
Mousset - 7 - Well, the goals aside his performance was mixed but he certainly put the effort in. Made some really great runs even thoughb something didn't come off. Needs to be cuter with his play. He's a bit of a head-down player. Needs to be more aware of the players around him
McBurnie - 6 - Thought he did a lot of good work with little reward. It was hardly a quality performance but we went more direct and he was the man making it stick, at times

Subs

Sharp - 4 - Thought he was poor when he came on. Had a go at their defender off the pitch for no reason I could see and didn't hold the ball up well enough. Looked very slow for some through balls
McGoldrick - 6 - Mixed. Did well for us going forward but a bit slow and sloppy on the ball when we needed to keep it
Bash - Not really on for long enough

Slav - 6 - A win is a win and we should have closed the game off at 3-0 up. He was basically stuck a bit with the subs but I'd have probably put an extra pair of legs in midfield (Bash?) instead of bringing Billy on. McGoldrick, maybe. We kept playing the same way without the pace, which was a bit puzzling as well.

Barnsley - Looked like relegation fodder most of the game and whilst they did manage to score two they look like a team of strangers. Styles impressed me, especially first half, but otherwise no one really.

Our defence just needs to get gone, the front 5 could probably have a go at getting us up, the other 6 of the midfield and defence are trying their best to get us relegated.

Thank fuck we held on to that.

I hope Slav gets a chance to reshape the team, not just money for new players, but free reign to get rid of some of the ones we currently have who may be seen as assets by the club, but aren't worth what we want. We have to take the hit on some of them and move on.

What a strange game. The vast majority of it was just scrappy nothingness. Both teams giving the ball away regularly and misplacing passes. We were just about the better side but any result could have happened there. Criminal to almost let a 3 goal lead slip though. I thought we didn't look like we had a plan until the period around the 2 goals. We then went back to being sloppy again but had a few good chances on the break as they threw men forward.

Olsen - 5.5 - Not at fault for the goals but his distribution was fairly poor and he's far from a calming influence when we need it.
Stevens - 5.5 - Very mixed. some good, some bad. Got caught a bit on the ball but did some good stuff going forward
Davies - 6.5 - Our best defender for me. Been a bit critical about him but he got his body in the way today but needs to stop with the loose passing.
Egan - 5 - Thought he was poor. Dreadful header that they could easily have scored from and iffy on the first goal. Looked like a mistake waiting to happen, at times
Baldock - 6 - Strange one. Did some good stuff going forward but also was too casual at times on the ball. I thought Styles had his number at times but kept going and drive us forward
Fleck - 4.5 - Lost the ball badly a couple of times and poor defensive place. Almost got forward and scored but nowhere near good enough in midfield.
Norwood - 5 - For a ball player he did very little. Continually slowed us down and passed backwards. Needs to be braver going forward
Osborn - 6 - Our worst player first half. Gave the ball away time after time and his passing was all over the shop. Kept going and set up the second and scored the third. Still, not good enough levels at the moment
Ndiaye - 6 - He's such a frustrating player. Great workrate and looks dangerous every time he's on the ball but flatters to decieve all too often. Very little end product but our only bright spark first half
Mousset - 7 - Well, the goals aside his performance was mixed but he certainly put the effort in. Made some really great runs even thoughb something didn't come off. Needs to be cuter with his play. He's a bit of a head-down player. Needs to be more aware of the players around him
McBurnie - 6 - Thought he did a lot of good work with little reward. It was hardly a quality performance but we went more direct and he was the man making it stick, at times

Subs

Sharp - 4 - Thought he was poor when he came on. Had a go at their defender off the pitch for no reason I could see and didn't hold the ball up well enough. Looked very slow for some through balls
McGoldrick - 6 - Mixed. Did well for us going forward but a bit slow and sloppy on the ball when we needed to keep it
Bash - Not really on for long enough

Slav - 6 - A win is a win and we should have closed the game off at 3-0 up. He was basically stuck a bit with the subs but I'd have probably put an extra pair of legs in midfield (Bash?) instead of bringing Billy on. McGoldrick, maybe. We kept playing the same way without the pace, which was a bit puzzling as well.

Barnsley - Looked like relegation fodder most of the game and whilst they did manage to score two they look like a team of strangers. Styles impressed me, especially first half, but otherwise no one really.
Have a like, mostly for putting your thoughts on the match in the actual match thread! Boils my piss how many people start a thread of their own.

Radio Sheffield gone off before end of game. Rubbish
I remember the start of RS and it was new, quite professional and good, novel, local broadcasting. Folks learned a lot from it.t I don't listen now (apart from football commentary) and haven't for a long time. I know resources are an issue but its dumbed-down rubbish compared to its beginnings and that end to today's commentary was typically amateurish (as was our defending at the end after the questionable substitutions).

That's 3 points out of the last 3 plus the Moose got unleashed!

When you don't have a midfield who can tackle and a defence that can't defend you have to have pace on to kept the other team pinned back. Slav very nearly threw that away bringing on our slowest forwards. Should have kept McBurnie on for a full 90mins and brought Brewster on for Mousset both need the minutes on the field poor management from Slav.

Back
Top Bottom