The spirit of ‘Brentford 2019’ lives on

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Last night’s heroic, ten-man, rearguard action brought back memories of the heroic, ten-man, rearguard action against Brentford in the Championship promotion season.

Flecky (Johnny not Jimmy), David “Did-He-Score? Yes-He-Didsy” McGoldrick, (he’s fallen off a) Cliff Stevens, Ollie the First, and “Furious” George reprised their roles as Defenders of the Faith. (As did Watkins and Konsa as Villains of the piece).

To celebrate, here’s a special edition commemorative plate I designed for the “Miracle of Brentford” that appeared in ‘Dem Blades’ (Issue 2).

Who knows - maybe, just maybe - last night will prove as crucially pivotal and I’ll have to do one to commemorate the “Miracle of Villa”...

Flecks-Drift_sml.jpg

Bit obsessed with rearguard action 🤔

imgID58295545.jpg.gallery.jpg

We are actually quite magnificent when going down to 10 men.

Blackburn and Brentford are too examples in that particular season.

This is obviously a plan whereby we have line of 4 or 5 defenders with a line of 3 midfielders in front. The object is to not allow teams to play through the lines and make them take the "easy" pass which is always sideways and then defend the cross into the box which invariable comes, because as a team we engineer that scenario. Teams we play against always fall for it because we dictate the terms.

Villa did occasionally get into the box, but then it's siege mentality - but nothing that we didn't already see against Brentford as an example.

Arsenal were brilliant at this in the days gone by (Wenger) whether it was playing with 10 or against 10.

The acceptance is that you are going to be put under pressure, so just create a plan and organisation to counteract it - we are very good at it. It nearly worked away at Villa too earlier in the season - once again forced into it by a referee/VAR cock up.

Think the coaching staff can take the plaudits here - as well as the players too, but the plan that we drop into is very well rehearsed.

Well done Blades.

UTB

I would suggest it was better looking at that villa team and where they and we are in the league.
I would suggest the more recent event has, understandably, muddied the waters.

Similarities ? For sure.

The Brentford win and defensive masterclass in which JOC put in the best defensive performance I have seen in 40 + years of watching dem Blades to cap a real “statement” performance to our promotion credentials.

As good as last night was, it’s a momentary highlight in what has and will be a disappointing year 😞.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom