United 0 Aston Villa 5 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was another humiliating and chastening evening for the Blades as they conceded five goals for the second Saturday running at Bramall Lane. Villa were the latest side to destroy a rudderless and passive United side that capitulated once again. The game was effectively over after only 20 minutes as the Villains raced to a three-goal lead and a further goal before the half hour was complete meant some fans were leaving before half time. Those that remained did not have long before a fifth Villa goal, just after half time and the only sense of salvation was the Blades avoided the drubbing, in terms of scoreline, they had been subjected to earlier in the season when they conceded eight goals to Newcastle United.

The Blades were completely picked apart as goals from McGinn, Watkins, Bailey and Tielemans saw the lopsided scoreline at half time and Moreno added the gloss after the break. United did not compete in any facet of the game and individually and collectively they were woeful with no fight, organisation, or semblance of a plan to stop the game being so one sided. The managerial change had an initial uplift and the Blades had at least been in games but the previous week had seen United well beaten and conceded 13 goals in doing do.

The reality is that the players, manage (both the previous and the current one) are being ruthlessly exposed at this level. However, those at the hierarchy of the club from owner, board, and those in charge of scouting and recruitment, have to take an even larger blame for the pitiful state of the league table where United are by far the worst side in the league and one of the worst ever seen at this level. The Blades have conceded more goals than any other club at this level since it began 1993. United are almost guaranteed to be relegated now and the worry is with 15 games left, how further the confidence of the team and its fans will be further eroded before the important planning for the Championship commences.

Wilder opted to make changes again in the latest attempt to stop a long winless run going back to early December and surprisingly dropped the player of the season, Jack Robinson, for new signing Mason Holgate. In came Brook, Osula and Norrington Davies with Foderingham also in goal due to the concussion protocols preventing Grbic from starting.

Villa were smarting from a home defeat to Newcastle and were looking to get their surprise title charge back on track. They started with England striker Olly Watkins and a side that looked ominously packed full of pace and power.

The game began with United starting quite well and Brereton Diaz had an early chance as he cut in on the angle but his low shot was saved by Martinez as it nearly squirmed under the Argentinian World Cup winner. This promising beginning was not built on and Villa started to move it round with pace with Bailey a constant threat down the right and gaps opening between the Blades defence and midfield. Neat football saw Villa move between the thirds and the ball was played through for Warkins who got away from three centre backs to move in on goal. His clever chipped effort bounced off the post as Ahmedhodzic raced back to attempt to clear but as it came back out, MCGINN reacted quicker than any of the Blades player and tapped home. It was a poor goal to concede as the Blades were cut wide open.

The Blades did not respond at all and Villa were on the attack soon after as Bailey almost got in but it was 0-2 soon enough. There was some good play to move out of defence but the speed in which Villa managed to move it forward without any pressure was alarming as Luiz then got on it and played a delightful ball with the outside of this foot. WATKINS was in on the angle and Ahmedhodzic could not get across and the striker cooly slid the ball expertly into the far corner of the net. The Blades players trooped back to half way and knew that another defeat was looming large after more appalling defending and inability to press/tackle in the culmination to the goal.

The regularity of the goals being conceded continued with the four-minute intervals between goals maintained as incredibly a third goal went in another four minutes later – on 20 minutes. The time it was BAILEY who got it after he had threatened to do so prior to this. He picked up the ball wide right after Watkins run and cut in. Norrington Davies inexplicably allowed Bailey to cut onto his strong left foot but the finish was beautiful as he curled in beyond the hapless Foderingham, who was picking the ball out of his net again.

The barrage continued as Villa were threatening to run riot and Tielemans was completely unmarked and Souza had to clear off the line. The relief was only temporary and the fourth goal did come on 30 minutes. Once again the marking was non existent and TIELEMANS was left time to control and smash it home via the underside of the bar. The Blades looked completely shell shacked and the atmosphere started to become difficult in the ground as several fans were now departing as Villa fans sang ‘Cheerio!.’ The Blades had barely been able to put two passes together so it was a surprise when they forced a corner but Holgate headed wide from a good chance. Villa then nearly got in again at the other end as the defence continued to get pulled apart.

The half time whistle mercifully came to prevent any more damage and the loud boos from the home fans told a story as the players left the field. Ramsey replaced Costa for Villa who had the luxury of rotating players in a game that was sewn up. Hamer came on for Osula as Wilder tried to give United more bodies into a midfield that had been completely overrun but within a minute, the fifth goal came. The Blades tried to get more men forward and this left them badly outnumbered again and Villa broke down the right-hand side. Ahmedhodzic’s attempt to clear was once again poor and the ball was then sent over from Watkins and with Bogle the latest man caught asleep, MORENO smashed home in front of the jubilant away fans.

After opting to only make one change, Wilder then made two changes with Robinson and Osborn on for Norrington Davies and Brooks. Bogle had an effort over the bar and Villa now seemed to take their foot off the gas and made their own changes with Diaby and Cash for Bailey and Konsa. Diaby almost made it six but Foderingham made the save down low before Tielemans almost converted as Villa were playing exhibition stuff. United at least now were having more of the ball and Robinson and Osborn were injecting some energy into a demoralised looking side. Tom Davies made his return, replacing McAtee whilst Iroegbunam came on for the Villa skipper McGinn. A free kick was nearly forced home at the back post for Villa.

The game was very scrappy now and the sarcastic cheers from the home fans when United put a few passes together summed up the mood. However, the Blades did force a flurry of chances in the final stages as both Ahmedhodzic and Robinson were denied by Martinez as Holgate was too slow to react on the rebound. Archer then was blocked before Hamer’s effort whizzed across goal.

Debutant Rogers then fired over but Villa at this stage were mostly happy to sit back and seemingly disinterested in going for more goals and it seemed the Blades had found a consolation as Souza finished from close range for what seemed like his first United goal but the goal was disallowed after a VAR check, for offside. Stoppage time saw little action of note and the final whistle went to end another desperately difficult evening for the Blades.

United – The reality of how bad the season has been is that we are discussing most weeks whether the latest defeat is the worst performance/moment of the season! I felt today was on par with Newcastle and weirdly, despite the score not being as bad, maybe even worse because at least the Newcastle game we started well and could have been winning and in the game for 20 minutes. Today in front of the watching nation/eyes of the world, we ended up getting an absolute going off and the first half was painful to watch. The way the players and team went under was difficult to watch and that first half is undoubtedly up there with one of the worst 45 minutes I have seen United ever play. Granted we have to take the opponent into account and the level and we have had some awful outings in League One against some dreadful sides but today was as one sided a game in that opening first 30 minutes as I have ever seen. It was like two teams playing different sports.

After the early BBD chance, Villa took us apart. The United players were individually and collectively completely outclassed. We did not make a tackle, did not make, did not run, win headers, and could not do the basics right on and off the ball. Actually, we barely touched the ball so it is hard to really appraise what we did with it! The formation and selection did not work at all and we ended up with big gaps all over the field. The naivety of the team was such that some were trying to press, whilst some were sitting off. The midfield were marking space, the defence not reacting to simple balls over the top and the wing backs so far off their men it was untrue. We had no structure or clear identifiable way we were trying to play. We looked like a non-league side playing a Premier League team. It was desperately bad.

The goals conceded were atrocious in terms of structure of the side and individual play. They simply played one or two passes over the top and they were in. I could not work out if we were trying to play a high line or sit back on the keeper almost. It seemed some players were doing the former and some the latter. The midfield did not tackle at all and just sat off and they just picked us off. The first goal is a simple ball over the top. The second the same. The third is basis stuff as a player is allowed time and space to cut in and the fourth appalling marking. It was 0-4 and it could have been double that. When you are getting hammered, you kind of look at whether it is selection of individuals, the shape, set up or just mistakes. You then look at not doing basics like tackling, covering, marking, winning headers or unable to retain the ball when we had it. Well first half, every single one of those areas you can discuss as being exploited. Put it all together and you have what we saw. A team that looked completely out of their depth. I understand what Wilder said at 0-4, that it is hard then to say we are not trying as heads drop. I get that but my issue is we had no effort at all from the start, or certainly as soon as we conceded the first. The way we imploded with no leadership on and off the field was a new low. However, we have seen this from this gutless set of players time and time again. I get they are not good enough and of course that is the root of the issues where we have a board/recruitment that has not spent enough, sold our best players, and replaced them with players out of their depth. In many ways, it is not the players fault they are not good enough. However, you expect a sense of pride and togetherness and yesterday once again we saw what a set of timid losers they are. It shows this is more than who the manager is. However, the fundamental coaching and set up also had to be questioned too when you compare how the other two promoted teams, one who spent significantly less, or applying themselves. The lack of pride and application shown by the players was beyond maddening. People pay good money to watch games and the way they just got picked apart without closing down or not tackling or even trying to stop it – should be embarrassing to them as so-called top-level professionals. The reality is none of them are. They are Championship players and I think know it. I sense they cannot wait till this season is over. I think if you told them now they could end the season and not play the games, the players and fans would take that. We are just going to see more damage to everyone before now and the end of May.

We have now shipped 59 Premier League goals in 23 goals. That is an average of 2.56 goals shipped per game means this Blades defence is officially the worst defence in Premier League history, at this stage of the season. No team have conceded more after 23 games. We have faced the most shots (390) and have the highest expected goals against (46.07) figure this season.

A lot will discuss team selection, set up and analyse goals and they are right to do as they are huge factors but I think even tweaks/changes in those areas would matter little. We not have a clear plan and identity but we also have players who are simply not up to it at this level. That is for skill, pace, athleticism and maybe one that has been overlooked – mental strength. There is not leadership and we look completely rudderless. They had their heads down early after conceding and no one was rallying the troops. It was an acceptance we will get beat. Not sure if some think well I will not be here or it is not their fault but regardless there is no togetherness or shift in trying to not be humiliated. A news flash for them all too – no one at this level will want to sign any of them. The best a few might hope for is a move to another league – McBurnie maybe Rangers, Baldock to Greece and Souza/Hamer to Europe? The rest if they leave will be on less wages and inferior clubs – maybe similar level in the Championship.

The recruitment has been horrific. The punts on Slimane, Larouci and Traore have been a complete waste of time and money – all three I expect not be here August and with losses. They are all barely Championship players from what I have seen. The bigger money buys have not been that much better in terms of what they cost. Hamer started well but has been woefully inconsistent and Archer now cannot even get in the team and looks disinterested to me. Trusty looks a complete bomb scare and is a defender who cannot defend and another that looks a waste of money and Birmingham was probably about his level. Souza has improved but is another that struggles with the pace and movement at this level. BBD has done ok and jury out on the new keeper/Holgate but both these had shocking starts. We have not spent a lot by top flight terms but that means the money we did spend had to be spend well but has been completely squandered. All the garbage about having long term assets we can make money on is laughable as none of these players have added value since they signed and we would struggle to find anyone to take them to even get our money back – granted we will with Archer which is good as that would be another Brewster type waste of money (not as bad and probably would be ok at Championship level).

The owner is completely out of the picture. We never hear anything (other than through a fans channel where he offered nothing but empty words) from him and no idea what the plan is or what is happening with regards to finding a new buyer? We assume he cannot find one and he is stuck with us and we are stuck with him as we limp back down to the Championship and probably there to stay for a significant period unless we can make changes right at the top.

We play Luton away next week and they will be too strong for us you feel and then Brighton again and games v Arsenal and Wolves coming up – not sure I see anything from any of them. We might eek out the odd point when teams are not maybe going full tilt towards the end of the season but I do not see us getting 20 points and think 5 or 6 more points might be the most we get as we cement ourselves as one of the worst teams in Premier League history. It is depressing at the moment on and off the field and I am surprised there has not been any kind of protest? I am not sure what it achieves or whether I favour such action but fans almost seem apathetic when you look at clubs like Palace. Sure, some will say I am being self-entitled and we have had worst time – which we have but surely there is nothing wrong with voicing frustration at the appalling way the club is being run. I do not like this ‘We are in the Premier League’ there is a lot worse off than us. This sort of attitude smacks as just accepting mediocrity as a club and there is nothing wrong with asking for more? As I say not sure what protesting does but I am annoyed that we are almost powerless to do anything about this sad situation as fans. We almost have to accept we are going down and just sit and watch the car crash unfold. You worry things may become quite toxic. I am stunned many still defend the ownership. They got lucky with Wilder and Hecky (and having Ndiaye last time) but we have got promoted as much down those two managers as a great sound, clear thought-out plan as a club. I worry about what the future holds with such disinterest and lack of financial support from above (yes I know it’s not his fault he does not have the money). Hope I am wrong and somehow we see chinks of light on or off the field before the summer but at the moment I do not see any? Even the young lads coming through you almost do not want them being part of this debacle as it could affect them moving forward.

Ratings:

Foderingham 3/10 – 3 might seem too high as he conceded 5 goals but had absolutely no chance with any of the goals really. The first he is exposed and ditto on the second. Saw some saw he was slow down to the second but it was well finished and right in the corner. The third right in the top corner and the fourth off the bar. The fifth a volley. We are seeing the issue is far bigger than the keeper as the new lad let in 7 goals this week too! We concede chance after chance and put our goalkeepers under so much pressure with one on ones and shots flying in all game. He did make one save down low first half and another second half. The harsh reality is he let in 5 but I felt sorry for him. Did not much wrong but did not much right!

Bogle 1.5/10 – After some improvements under Wilder he has really taken steps back the last week with his horror show last week with the penalties conceded and then poor in the week. Today he gave his man way too much space and dithered when on the ball. Seemed to never be in line with the rest of a disorganised defence. What he is doing in the second half when they score the fifth I have no idea? Least got forward a few times second half and had the shot over.

Norrington Davies 1/10 – Woeful. On the ball he was careless and his touch came off him but his overall awareness, marking and positioning was of someone who looked like he had never played this position. He probably has he excuse of coming back from such a long lay off but today he looked slow, weak, and clumsy as Bailey led him a merry dance. All first half he got past him and he scored when RND showed him the wrong way but he had beat him the other way a few times too. His nightmare day at least was ended early – just after he had not got back in time to stop the break on the 5th. I was looking forward to seeing him back but on today he looked another where the step up is just too much in terms of pace, power and skill.

Ahmedhodzic 1/10 – I think he has been absolutely garbage this season in nearly every game. I am amazed he is still getting picked and as captain?! It has to be down to the fact we have no one else. If there were teams in for him, why we did not sell him, I have no idea as his value is going to decrease to the extent we will struggle to get our money back in my opinion. It must have been just rumours about 15-18 million as no idea why anyone would pay that for him and as I say anything that was double the money we paid and you snatch a teams hand off surely as he is nowhere near the standard of this level. I am shocked how bad he has been but he is so laboured and just resorts to grabbing shirts. Watkins just made him look a complete mug all game. The first he is slow to react and not tight enough. Same on the second and seemed to not know whether to go out or stay back. The organisation of a defence he should be marshalling as the central man and captain was shambolic. He carried on losing his man or miskicking it and the fifth he fails to clear too. His body language is dreadful and looks like he does not want to be here. I would take him out of the team personally before his value deteriorates even more. At least if he is not playing then teams might remember last season more! Will move on in the summer but as I say we won’t get near the rumoured fees I believe. The turnaround in him from a crowd favourite and someone who played with a smile on his face to someone now who is becoming quite disliked by the crowd due to his performances and the way he applies himself is sad to see but on him entirely.

Holgate 1/10 – No idea why we signed him at all? Another whose form has been poor and the fact he has not impressed even in the Championship for WBA and Southampton should have been huge red flags. Wilder does get obsessed with players he has wanted (recall Warnock doing the same and others at clubs do it so not saying it is a United thing!) but seems to forget the recent times. He has completely lost his way and seems to be another that will move down the leagues after not impressing at a lower level but then gets signed by a Premier League club! Probably cannot believe his luck after not even starting at the level below. Of course, I want him to do well and prove him wrong and it is only one game but like the keeper, he had a really poor start to say the least. Seems to have no idea how to play in a three and another who kept pressing and leaving gaps behind or getting into terrible positions. He did not close down or react to dangers and another who did not mark or deal with balls coming in or onto him. Not a dominant centre back that we needed and always seemed more of a ball player but we do not have the ball so seems pointless? The defence was completely ragged and he did very little right all game- even missed a good headed chance in the first half (our only chance) and took too long to react on that scramble near the end.

Trusty 1/10 – I have been quite critical of him much of the season when others said he looked decent or were calling for him to be in the side but I have seen nothing to suggest why we signed him at all? He was average to begin with as we lost most games but was never dominant or particularly good at marking/tackling. His distribution is woeful too. In recent months his form has gone from average to off a cliff. He routinely makes poor choices in basic defending and rarely wins a header or gets there first. Centre forwards complete impose themselves on us and he has been playing most weeks despite others being rotated around him (maybe that has not helped?). He has no discipline in terms of knowing when to jockey or when to go to engage with the ball. He is also extremely timid in challenges/headers for a biggish lad. The first few goals he is nowhere to be seen and then third loses a header to McGinn as he somehow shrank! Once again badly out of position as he often is. He may have only cost 5 million reportedly but even this seems way too much – not sure he is any better than a Ciaran Clark type player?

Souza 3/10 – Waddle panned him on the BBC 5 Live commentary saying he marks space, never goes to a man and just has no idea how to stop teams breaking through us. I do get what he is saying but I actually think in the last few weeks he has been maybe the only player who had engaged with the opposition (granted he does not do that enough!) and has been completely left on his own in the middle due to the likes of Hamer, Brooks, Slimane and even McAtee to an extent being mostly anonymous. He at least has put some effort in and he has cleared a few off the line or got some blocks in. He is another that is not good enough for the quick and athletic Premier League but has been one of the best of a bad bunch recently. He still got ran through routinely as the midfield was not there and even was denied his first goal. He probably will want out end of the season as staying here is not going to help his career.

McAtee 2/10 – Been one of our better players recently but he was not in the game at all yesterday and the game passed him by. We were defending much of the time and he was given little of the ball but when he had it, he got crowded out or ran into bodies. He seemed quite frustrated and being an attacker player by nature he was never really in it. He is another that probably regrets coming back here. Will depart the end of the season and probably go on loan to a new club next season – probably a newly promoted side maybe?

Brereton Diaz 2/10 – Been good to decent in his first few games and scored a couple of well taken goals. Mostly kept the ball well, worked hard and provided an outlet. Today he missed a good early chance and then he did the opposite of that as he gave it away cheaply and felt did not help a struggling RND down the left as they got in time after time. He looked frustrated long before he was taken off.

Brooks 2/10 – Real struggle for him. Feel sorry for him and Osula as really they should be on loan in the Championship and getting game time where they can become more confident but are part of an awful side where the experienced players are showing no leadership or desire at all. He was not in it and it was all a bit much for him as Villa’s midfield just looked a class above. He gave it away cheaply a few times and then on a few of the chances did not press or mark. Not sure he had many touches at all and looked what he is – a young player making his way but someone who had never played league football till a year ago and now being counted on to start at the top level.

Osula 2/10 – As with Brooks, have some sympathy. He plugged away but the first half, most of his touches were from the kick offs after goals! Not really given any service and the ball was never in the Villa half it seemed! Came off at the break but to me Wilder could have replaced all eleven and not sure he was the issue but we needed another body in midfield to stop the bleeding. McBurnie was out injured again of course. Surprise, surprise. Another I will be glad to get off the books at the end of the season – as he is barely available and when he does not sure he does enough or cannot play more than a half of football.

Subs –

Hamer 4/10 – He at least got on the ball a bit and had a few crosses (his led to the disallowed goal) and a few went in the box to lead to chances or just off target. He is another that has not done enough but not sure he deserved to be dropped (similar situation to Robinson) when others have been even worse.

Robinson 4/10 – Showed some effort at least and tried to drive us forward when we had it. The game was up at this point. Had a header back to Souza on the goal (or no goal as it was) and another effort on goal second half saved. Why he was dropped I do not know? He is another that probably is not up to this level but has been our best player this season and one who at least shows some fight and Wilder drops him in favour of three centre backs who are in really bad form? He admitted his mistake after. Not saying he changes the result but we are not quite as soft a touch when he does play normally – granted we have got hammered in other games he has played I suppose?

Osborn 4/10 – He was another that at least got on the ball a bit and tried to run around but at this point Villa had sort of given up. He put a few crosses in or linked a little bit.

Davies 4/10 – Did ok when he came on and showed a few neat touches. I would play him now – even if it takes him a few weeks to get back to full fitness as we are down anyway and he is our player moving forward so you may as well play him, Souza and Hamer in the middle now with the odd game/minutes for Brooks and Arblaster. There is little point playing McAtee/BBD/Archer etc soon for me, when they are not going to here? It’s not as if those three move the needle that much to make us that much better but I know McAtee and BBD have been two of our better players and suppose we want to avoid even more maulings?

Archer 3/10 – Came on and had a few runs but fell over the ball once and then took too long to get a shot away on another occasion. I have seen a lot demanding him start up top but he has not done enough when he has played there – even though I concede he is not a wide man. A player we chased and chased but not really done it for me regardless of arguments over formations and positions. He has to work harder and do more when he does play. At least we do not lose any money on him when he goes back.

Manager: Wilder 1/10 – Gets 1 for the fact he made a few changes second half and we did not get beat by even more but the whole performance was unacceptable and to concede 5 two weeks running at home is unacceptable. He looks unable to know how to keep us in games now and the initial improvement has not been maintained. He blamed refs and other things for the last few games but today at least had the humility and honesty to say it is down to him and the players. The team selection was awful as he dropped our best player for a signing that seemed a poor one and a waste of funds, even before we saw him play as harsh as that sounds. His shape and set up for both the games this week has left us woefully open and the players seemed to have no idea of the plan. Granted he cannot go out and tackle/run/head but the team seemed to have no idea what the shape they were meant to play or how to stem constant pressure. The first half we were diabolical and as much as the players have to take some blame, many criticised Heckingbottom when we got hammered, so surely he cannot escape blame? Granted some are not his players but quite a few are and a manager should have his team better prepared and set up. As uncomfortable as it is, he is another that looks out of his depth at this level even if the players he has are poor. Other teams (Luton the obvious one) are staying in games or competing but we look woefully undermanned and have no idea how to carry out whatever plan the coaching staff are asking of them?

We did improve initially under Wilder as I said, but the last week has shown we have moved back to the disgraceful level of performance and results we saw under Hecky. It is more than the manager but also questions must be asked of both now with scattergun team selections, incomprehensible tactics, and no idea of how to even stay in games. I was not in favour of Wilder returning. I predicted a short-term uplift, as often happens under any manager but expected to see what we are now seeing, which is a side way over their head at this level and now in his words, getting ‘pumped’ yet again. I sense we will see a lot more performances like this and results like this. Wilder’s interview yesterday was more honest rather than the pathetic and bitter outburst at the officials in the week as he admitted that he and the team were miles off it and embarrassed. I know a lot will be made of the players not being good enough and the complete lack of support the board has given the manager/s and I totally get this and agree the biggest blame has to be pointed at Abdullah. There is one thing to go down and take the money and try and not threaten the financial side of the club but we as fans are being laughed at and embarrassed most weeks now. The season cannot end soon enough for me. However, I am unsure if Wilder is the man to take it forward. If we keep losing every week, will he have the mental strength to want to come back next season and start again – with no money to spend and a side that’s confidence is completely drained and I fear will get worse every week. We saw how badly we started last season (with a more experienced side with better leadership you could argue) and I fear what the summer and the start of next season will bring.

I do wonder what he says if the pattern keeps repeating and does he then question the board/owner? I said it when he was appointed it was a poor choice- we had to replaced Hecky but Wilder had no idea that second season at the top level how to arrest the slide and walked out. He had been poor at two clubs since and the decision to reappoint him seemed to be desperate hoping his connection with fans would see some sort of galvanised response. We had it for a few games but now we are basically looking pretty much like the team we saw under Hecky. We have won 1 in 8 and lost 31/40 under Wilder now. I will be surprised if he is out manager by Christmas next season. Just my opinion but the short-term uplift he gave and feeling will disappear if we keep seeing results like this. I actually would not be shocked if he slinked off again at the end of the season and we have to find a new manager and direction, which is probably what we should have done when we replaced Hecky in my opinion. He does not seem someone who will keep losing week after week and stay around? Just a feeling I have. As I say, the issues are much bigger than the manager and the whole club needs a restructure from top to bottom but the inability to attract a new owner means these changes seem a long way off reality and I believe we will burn through another manager or two before this happens.

Villa – Saw all the pundits raving about them on Sky and MOTD and they did score some really good goals and the movement of the midfield and the likes of Bailey and Watkins was excellent. We could not live with them and they tore us apart. They have dropped off on recent weeks but like with Palace and many other teams, their eyes light up when they play us as a chance to get back to form against an opponent that are on a different level. They had lost in the week and would have been determined to get back to winning ways and also avenge the game at Villa Park. They started slowly but once they got the first goal, they just took the game away from us and realised it was so easy to beat the press, get through midfield and get into the last third. Often it took one or two passes! They scored four and could have had double that. They ripped us apart. Some fantastic team football and individual play but were really helped by an awful opponent that did not engage with them at all. They had so much space it was untrue.

I thought the only reason today we did not get beat by even more is Villa simply gave up and stopped attacking. Emery said something about being respectful to the opponents. It is quite cringing to listen to a manager of the opposition say that. I translated that as they did not want to exact any more damage on us and almost stopped trying to score more at 0-5. They made changes and sort of sat back. It felt like the equivalent of an NBA basketball team when a coach empties the bench and it becomes garbage time. I think if they had wanted they could have won by a lot more. They have had a great season and the manager has shown what a good coach he is. They won’t win the league but have a chance of top 4 and credit to them. A few years ago we were ahead of them as they barely stayed up after the ghost goal incident played a part but now with an ownership with proper funds and a structure with a football director and clear plan, they are light years ahead of us.

Opponent Man of the Match – Take your pick. They were better in every area. Douglas Luiz was very good in midfield and Tielemans also was dictating play and a constant outlet and threat but Bailey and Watkins ripped us apart. Bailey looked like creating something every time he had it but Watkins movement and running behind was everything you want in a striker –and he looked a cut above anything we have and one of the better centre forward performances at the Lane by an opponent but then we saw with Pedro, Eze/Olise and even Ings a few weeks before – all the player of opponents look even better against us!

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone looked poor. Worryingly not even sure they were all playing to full tilt either. They strolled the second half after doing what they needed and then just changed players after the break.

Referee/Officials – Wilder cannot blame the officials this week in much the same way there was no issue really in midweek v Palace. We had one booking – Bogle (was that dissent – can’t even remember?) Paul Tierney and his assistants and VAR had nothing really of any controversial nature. The goals were all straight forward with no offsides or possible fouls and the only time they had to get involved was the Souza one which was just offside, even if marginal. The rest of the game we barely put a tackle in and then we barely had the ball so Villa did not need to tackle!

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – It was hard to see lots of fans streaming out but you could not blame them. I was in touch with various friends and family and one left at 0-2, some at 0-3 and a fair few at half time. Around half of us stayed second half but I did go on 80 minutes. Fair play to those that stayed but saw a lot going at half time or after the 5th went in. It was cold and miserable and watching Villa knock the ball around us was not much fun. You can say fans should stay and support them but the game was gone and pointless in many ways with the only thing to see was if we got hammered even more and beat the Newcastle score. So, I would not be critical of those that left. We are getting smashed most weeks again now, after a few games where we did better and the ball is constantly in our box and/or net. Games are so one sided and it’s like we going to watch the oppositions quality players. The fans have been quite patient and some clubs I think the boos and criticism would have been more severe as what the players and team are serving up is unacceptable and embarrassing. By the end, the home contingent was less than half full.

Villa fans saw a big away win and some great goals but even they probably could not believe how bad we were. They sang mocking songs at us and even sang Vera Lynn, ‘We’ll meet again, don’t know where, don’t know when….’ It could be a very long time folks before you see us again based on the opposite trajectory of both sides! There was no response from Blades fans who started sarcastically applauding the few passes we made in the second half. By the end there were so few left in the ground, the team probably did not get the loud jeers their woeful performance deserved. I do wonder if we go behind in future games what the reaction will be as fans will surely not just accept that when they have paid good money and are not even seeing proper contests in games. Watching a gutless surrender week after week will see things turn and that is never nice but not sure what we have to look forward to now – other than just the season ending.

Should add - had a fantastic pre game with Travelling Blade, Beans (Blades Pod) and his Dad etc and ditto for post game involving Eggy, Webding and Roygbiv

Beers were taken but clear who had left earlier than others by the end of the night!

First generous marks i’ve seen you give with some of these 1’s including Wilder’s. Players are crap but several awful decisions he made in this game he deserves as much stick as they do. Felt sorry for Andre Brooks though who is a winger playing central midfield largely because he’s had to be converted in the academy with them playing 3-5-2 as well. He was let down by the manager, he had no realistic chance of being able to perform in the role he was asked to do, should only ever play in a three man midfield and needs to be seen as more of wide player moving forward in my opinion.

I left on 0-3 because my mates just turned and walked out en masse, I’d probably have given it to at least halftime. Seriously thinking of packing it in for the rest of the season I’m so disgusted at the current situation.

The dressing room morale is toxic now and you fear it’s only going to get worse as most of our squad will be looking for their next club and signing pre-contracts elsewhere. Like you said with Anel, it might be in some of their interest to take an ‘injury’ layoff for the rest of the season and protect their reputation/value. Imagine the likes of Egan won’t be in a rush to come back. You can blame players but ultimately the club has caused this with its short term approach to contracts and reliance on loans - there is a reason most clubs don’t run everyone’s contracts down at once and this is it!

People keep saying we’ll probably pick up some points later in the season when other teams aren’t motivated, but I can’t see that because our squad is going to be the least motivated of all, it feels we’re more likely to go on the Derby trajectory and it’ll get worse.

No signs we are learning our lesson either - if we are picking up Holgate’s wages that’s £1.5m down the drain. Middlesbrough signed a young player on a permanent for the same money this summer, now just sold him for £15m - and people wonder why United are always skint…

If it’s true there’s a summer break clause with Wilder then the club should do full interviews with other candidates, cast the net wide to Europe, look at assistants/coaches from top clubs and the England setup. I’d have Steve cooper if he’d come. Only default to Wilder if there is really no one better out there who will come. We might be a better prospect in the championship with a clean slate than we were post-Hecky.

Very much as I saw it,the opposing manager takes 10 minutes to work us out and then we have no answer. We cannot get out of this United style of dna such as blind passes down the touch line from the fullback hoping the forward player has made a run across ,we are so predictable from the last few years and haven’t upgraded the style at all,we cough possession up like a fur ball. I think you are spot on regarding your Wilder analysis,I suggested Evatt ages ago,the football has to change,short term pain,long term gain.

Pretty accurate if depressing report .
I‘ve never rated Wilder so none of this is a surprise. He is obviously doing it for the money and will follow the party line and will not go unless pushed.
He has clearly been told to work within a budget and financed Holgate by getting rid of Fleck and putting a few out on loan.
He is the Princes man , so next Season will be more of the same.

It is depressing at the moment on and off the field and I am surprised there has not been any kind of protest? I am not sure what it achieves or whether I favour such action but fans almost seem apathetic when you look at clubs like Palace. Sure, some will say I am being self-entitled and we have had worst time – which we have but surely there is nothing wrong with voicing frustration at the appalling way the club is being run. I do not like this ‘We are in the Premier League’ there is a lot worse off than us. This sort of attitude smacks as just accepting mediocrity as a club and there is nothing wrong with asking for more? As I say not sure what protesting does but I am annoyed that we are almost powerless to do anything about this sad situation as fans. We almost have to accept we are going down and just sit and watch the car crash unfold. You worry things may become quite toxic. I am stunned many still defend the ownership. They got lucky with Wilder and Hecky (and having Ndiaye last time) but we have got promoted as much down those two managers as a great sound, clear thought-out plan as a club. I worry about what the future holds with such disinterest and lack of financial support from above (yes I know it’s not his fault he does not have the money). Hope I am wrong and somehow we see chinks of light on or off the field before the summer but at the moment I do not see any? Even the young lads coming through you almost do not want them being part of this debacle as it could affect them moving forward.

Nailed it here.

I considered some zeros but think Newcastle were 1's- 3's so had to be consistent with my marking. Game was very similiar just we were terrible first half rather than second and the opponent declared at 0-5!
Tbh

Can’t disagree with a word you say - you’ve nailed it

What was yesterdays attendance ?

I watched Luton yesterday and yes they have a structure and plan on how to approach each game and their getting the rewards for that,indeed they were unlucky not to win.
But the big fundamental difference to us is their matching other teams with their physicality and strength, epitomised by Ogbene who as l pointed out before we could have had for free last summer, one incident which led to a penalty for Luton came with him blowing Dan burn out of the way.
You have to be an athlete to begin with, we don't have them

Nailed it here.
Absolutely this

When punters suggest a protest they get insulted and told that things aren’t as bad as we’ve had it in the past ?

This will probably be , pound for pound , league for league, the worst season in our entire history.

Yet , as stated , many just seem to expect that others should just blindly accept the situation and shut up , because to criticise makes you a fkin idiot ,as one well known poster wrote about someone , a pig , not a Blade etc .

What is happening is a disgrace no matter how much the gap between prem and championship is widening .

The whole infrastructure and mentality of the club is woeful and results in a club , let alone team - who have no intention of competing .

We have been designed , through lack of leadership , to become one of the worst prem teams in history - but hey , let’s clap along

I stayed to the end simply to avoid the traffic. We got better when we made the changes but they were far too late. Villa supporting son in laws couldn't believe we were so open in midfield after the game at their place and made the point once we'd got more bodies in the middle that stopped the supply chain. Thought Davies looked good in his little cameo and did a couple of defence splitting passes straight down the middle. They'll soon coach that out of him :D.

I still maintain with the right coaching, team selection and system the players are much better than what was served up yesterday. The performances since CW came back up to and including a very good one against West Ham prove that. For some unexplained reason CW seems to have fallen off a cliff the last 7 days shoe horning players into the team without bedding them in, chopping and changing formation 4-4-2 against Palace, starting with 5-2-3 against Villa. Not sure what has been going on but he looked a man under pressure post match.

Whilst I agree with the comments that a number of players have hearts the size of peas they looked unsure and uncertain what they were supposed to be doing in a formation that looked as if it had been cobbled together 5 minutes before kick off.

The disconnect between supporters and the Club that was evident after the Burnley game is back. All the good work CW and his team did in the previous games has been undone in 7 days resulting in 13 goals being shipped.

The first goal yesterday was down to Holgate. Not only did he lose his man he ambles back ball watching letting McGinn sprint past him to get the final touch. At least Anel made an effort to try and stop the ball going in! Unfortunately that set the tone for the rest of the first half where CW seemed oblivious to what was going on failing to change formation as the goals went in. Just bringing on Hamer for Osula after the second goal may have stemmed the tide. Going to 5-3-1-1 after the 5th goal showed that we were capable of retaining the ball but it was all too late.

I can not fathom why we have suddenly adopted this gung ho approach of charging forward, failing to press as a team and playing a high line against pace. Starting with 2 in the middle was suicidal. Pace and players running at us thats something we have struggled with for years. Under the 2019 team we would sit deep and limit this. Pedro, Eze and Olise and Watkins and Bailey have cruelly exposed our limitations over the last week. Its not what we have seen from CW and AK teams who have a reputation for at least being tight at the back. Baldock is our only defender with genuine pace. Its interesting that out of the 6 games where we have conceded 5 or more he has only started one game. The being Burnley where the whole team downed tools. Unfortunately with GB he is now in the injury prone category missing too many games already.

CW/AK need to get back to what they do best build from the back but they lack natural defenders at their disposal. What ever they do the disconnect has to be gone for the Luton game in terms of team selection tactics and discipline. Another repeat of yesterday and the remaining games at BDTBL will become toxic and the contract break clause at the end of the season that PA alluded to in his last interview may become a reality.

Brutal assessment DB - but as usual fair & accurate.

We are the archetypal boom & bust club, rarely, if ever do we harness the momentum & talent of the boom years & use as a springboard to become established & develop consistency.

Going back 30 years as founder members of the PL we had a once in a lifetime opportunity to become settled at this level - remember that in the early 90’s football was more of a level playing field, barriers to entry & opportunities for longevity were much lower, but inevitably we missed the boat, sold our most valuable asset amidst board room turmoil.

Prior to that, think Glenn Cockerill and the pattern is easy to see.

And so we begin the bust cycle again.

Ratings:

Foderingham 3/10 – 3 might seem too high as he conceded 5 goals but had absolutely no chance with any of the goals really. The first he is exposed and ditto on the second. Saw some saw he was slow down to the second but it was well finished and right in the corner. The third right in the top corner and the fourth off the bar. The fifth a volley. We are seeing the issue is far bigger than the keeper as the new lad let in 7 goals this week too! We concede chance after chance and put our goalkeepers under so much pressure with one on ones and shots flying in all game. He did make one save down low first half and another second half. The harsh reality is he let in 5 but I felt sorry for him. Did not much wrong but did not much right!

Bogle 1.5/10 – After some improvements under Wilder he has really taken steps back the last week with his horror show last week with the penalties conceded and then poor in the week. Today he gave his man way too much space and dithered when on the ball. Seemed to never be in line with the rest of a disorganised defence. What he is doing in the second half when they score the fifth I have no idea? Least got forward a few times second half and had the shot over.

Norrington Davies 1/10 – Woeful. On the ball he was careless and his touch came off him but his overall awareness, marking and positioning was of someone who looked like he had never played this position. He probably has he excuse of coming back from such a long lay off but today he looked slow, weak, and clumsy as Bailey led him a merry dance. All first half he got past him and he scored when RND showed him the wrong way but he had beat him the other way a few times too. His nightmare day at least was ended early – just after he had not got back in time to stop the break on the 5th. I was looking forward to seeing him back but on today he looked another where the step up is just too much in terms of pace, power and skill.

Ahmedhodzic 1/10 – I think he has been absolutely garbage this season in nearly every game. I am amazed he is still getting picked and as captain?! It has to be down to the fact we have no one else. If there were teams in for him, why we did not sell him, I have no idea as his value is going to decrease to the extent we will struggle to get our money back in my opinion. It must have been just rumours about 15-18 million as no idea why anyone would pay that for him and as I say anything that was double the money we paid and you snatch a teams hand off surely as he is nowhere near the standard of this level. I am shocked how bad he has been but he is so laboured and just resorts to grabbing shirts. Watkins just made him look a complete mug all game. The first he is slow to react and not tight enough. Same on the second and seemed to not know whether to go out or stay back. The organisation of a defence he should be marshalling as the central man and captain was shambolic. He carried on losing his man or miskicking it and the fifth he fails to clear too. His body language is dreadful and looks like he does not want to be here. I would take him out of the team personally before his value deteriorates even more. At least if he is not playing then teams might remember last season more! Will move on in the summer but as I say we won’t get near the rumoured fees I believe. The turnaround in him from a crowd favourite and someone who played with a smile on his face to someone now who is becoming quite disliked by the crowd due to his performances and the way he applies himself is sad to see but on him entirely.

Holgate 1/10 – No idea why we signed him at all? Another whose form has been poor and the fact he has not impressed even in the Championship for WBA and Southampton should have been huge red flags. Wilder does get obsessed with players he has wanted (recall Warnock doing the same and others at clubs do it so not saying it is a United thing!) but seems to forget the recent times. He has completely lost his way and seems to be another that will move down the leagues after not impressing at a lower level but then gets signed by a Premier League club! Probably cannot believe his luck after not even starting at the level below. Of course, I want him to do well and prove him wrong and it is only one game but like the keeper, he had a really poor start to say the least. Seems to have no idea how to play in a three and another who kept pressing and leaving gaps behind or getting into terrible positions. He did not close down or react to dangers and another who did not mark or deal with balls coming in or onto him. Not a dominant centre back that we needed and always seemed more of a ball player but we do not have the ball so seems pointless? The defence was completely ragged and he did very little right all game- even missed a good headed chance in the first half (our only chance) and took too long to react on that scramble near the end.

Trusty 1/10 – I have been quite critical of him much of the season when others said he looked decent or were calling for him to be in the side but I have seen nothing to suggest why we signed him at all? He was average to begin with as we lost most games but was never dominant or particularly good at marking/tackling. His distribution is woeful too. In recent months his form has gone from average to off a cliff. He routinely makes poor choices in basic defending and rarely wins a header or gets there first. Centre forwards complete impose themselves on us and he has been playing most weeks despite others being rotated around him (maybe that has not helped?). He has no discipline in terms of knowing when to jockey or when to go to engage with the ball. He is also extremely timid in challenges/headers for a biggish lad. The first few goals he is nowhere to be seen and then third loses a header to McGinn as he somehow shrank! Once again badly out of position as he often is. He may have only cost 5 million reportedly but even this seems way too much – not sure he is any better than a Ciaran Clark type player?

Souza 3/10 – Waddle panned him on the BBC 5 Live commentary saying he marks space, never goes to a man and just has no idea how to stop teams breaking through us. I do get what he is saying but I actually think in the last few weeks he has been maybe the only player who had engaged with the opposition (granted he does not do that enough!) and has been completely left on his own in the middle due to the likes of Hamer, Brooks, Slimane and even McAtee to an extent being mostly anonymous. He at least has put some effort in and he has cleared a few off the line or got some blocks in. He is another that is not good enough for the quick and athletic Premier League but has been one of the best of a bad bunch recently. He still got ran through routinely as the midfield was not there and even was denied his first goal. He probably will want out end of the season as staying here is not going to help his career.

McAtee 2/10 – Been one of our better players recently but he was not in the game at all yesterday and the game passed him by. We were defending much of the time and he was given little of the ball but when he had it, he got crowded out or ran into bodies. He seemed quite frustrated and being an attacker player by nature he was never really in it. He is another that probably regrets coming back here. Will depart the end of the season and probably go on loan to a new club next season – probably a newly promoted side maybe?

Brereton Diaz 2/10 – Been good to decent in his first few games and scored a couple of well taken goals. Mostly kept the ball well, worked hard and provided an outlet. Today he missed a good early chance and then he did the opposite of that as he gave it away cheaply and felt did not help a struggling RND down the left as they got in time after time. He looked frustrated long before he was taken off.

Brooks 2/10 – Real struggle for him. Feel sorry for him and Osula as really they should be on loan in the Championship and getting game time where they can become more confident but are part of an awful side where the experienced players are showing no leadership or desire at all. He was not in it and it was all a bit much for him as Villa’s midfield just looked a class above. He gave it away cheaply a few times and then on a few of the chances did not press or mark. Not sure he had many touches at all and looked what he is – a young player making his way but someone who had never played league football till a year ago and now being counted on to start at the top level.

Osula 2/10 – As with Brooks, have some sympathy. He plugged away but the first half, most of his touches were from the kick offs after goals! Not really given any service and the ball was never in the Villa half it seemed! Came off at the break but to me Wilder could have replaced all eleven and not sure he was the issue but we needed another body in midfield to stop the bleeding. McBurnie was out injured again of course. Surprise, surprise. Another I will be glad to get off the books at the end of the season – as he is barely available and when he does not sure he does enough or cannot play more than a half of football.

Subs –

Hamer 4/10 – He at least got on the ball a bit and had a few crosses (his led to the disallowed goal) and a few went in the box to lead to chances or just off target. He is another that has not done enough but not sure he deserved to be dropped (similar situation to Robinson) when others have been even worse.

Robinson 4/10 – Showed some effort at least and tried to drive us forward when we had it. The game was up at this point. Had a header back to Souza on the goal (or no goal as it was) and another effort on goal second half saved. Why he was dropped I do not know? He is another that probably is not up to this level but has been our best player this season and one who at least shows some fight and Wilder drops him in favour of three centre backs who are in really bad form? He admitted his mistake after. Not saying he changes the result but we are not quite as soft a touch when he does play normally – granted we have got hammered in other games he has played I suppose?

Osborn 4/10 – He was another that at least got on the ball a bit and tried to run around but at this point Villa had sort of given up. He put a few crosses in or linked a little bit.

Davies 4/10 – Did ok when he came on and showed a few neat touches. I would play him now – even if it takes him a few weeks to get back to full fitness as we are down anyway and he is our player moving forward so you may as well play him, Souza and Hamer in the middle now with the odd game/minutes for Brooks and Arblaster. There is little point playing McAtee/BBD/Archer etc soon for me, when they are not going to here? It’s not as if those three move the needle that much to make us that much better but I know McAtee and BBD have been two of our better players and suppose we want to avoid even more maulings?

Archer 3/10 – Came on and had a few runs but fell over the ball once and then took too long to get a shot away on another occasion. I have seen a lot demanding him start up top but he has not done enough when he has played there – even though I concede he is not a wide man. A player we chased and chased but not really done it for me regardless of arguments over formations and positions. He has to work harder and do more when he does play. At least we do not lose any money on him when he goes back.

Manager: Wilder 1/10 – Gets 1 for the fact he made a few changes second half and we did not get beat by even more but the whole performance was unacceptable and to concede 5 two weeks running at home is unacceptable. He looks unable to know how to keep us in games now and the initial improvement has not been maintained. He blamed refs and other things for the last few games but today at least had the humility and honesty to say it is down to him and the players. The team selection was awful as he dropped our best player for a signing that seemed a poor one and a waste of funds, even before we saw him play as harsh as that sounds. His shape and set up for both the games this week has left us woefully open and the players seemed to have no idea of the plan. Granted he cannot go out and tackle/run/head but the team seemed to have no idea what the shape they were meant to play or how to stem constant pressure. The first half we were diabolical and as much as the players have to take some blame, many criticised Heckingbottom when we got hammered, so surely he cannot escape blame? Granted some are not his players but quite a few are and a manager should have his team better prepared and set up. As uncomfortable as it is, he is another that looks out of his depth at this level even if the players he has are poor. Other teams (Luton the obvious one) are staying in games or competing but we look woefully undermanned and have no idea how to carry out whatever plan the coaching staff are asking of them?

We did improve initially under Wilder as I said, but the last week has shown we have moved back to the disgraceful level of performance and results we saw under Hecky. It is more than the manager but also questions must be asked of both now with scattergun team selections, incomprehensible tactics, and no idea of how to even stay in games. I was not in favour of Wilder returning. I predicted a short-term uplift, as often happens under any manager but expected to see what we are now seeing, which is a side way over their head at this level and now in his words, getting ‘pumped’ yet again. I sense we will see a lot more performances like this and results like this. Wilder’s interview yesterday was more honest rather than the pathetic and bitter outburst at the officials in the week as he admitted that he and the team were miles off it and embarrassed. I know a lot will be made of the players not being good enough and the complete lack of support the board has given the manager/s and I totally get this and agree the biggest blame has to be pointed at Abdullah. There is one thing to go down and take the money and try and not threaten the financial side of the club but we as fans are being laughed at and embarrassed most weeks now. The season cannot end soon enough for me. However, I am unsure if Wilder is the man to take it forward. If we keep losing every week, will he have the mental strength to want to come back next season and start again – with no money to spend and a side that’s confidence is completely drained and I fear will get worse every week. We saw how badly we started last season (with a more experienced side with better leadership you could argue) and I fear what the summer and the start of next season will bring.

I do wonder what he says if the pattern keeps repeating and does he then question the board/owner? I said it when he was appointed it was a poor choice- we had to replaced Hecky but Wilder had no idea that second season at the top level how to arrest the slide and walked out. He had been poor at two clubs since and the decision to reappoint him seemed to be desperate hoping his connection with fans would see some sort of galvanised response. We had it for a few games but now we are basically looking pretty much like the team we saw under Hecky. We have won 1 in 8 and lost 31/40 under Wilder now. I will be surprised if he is out manager by Christmas next season. Just my opinion but the short-term uplift he gave and feeling will disappear if we keep seeing results like this. I actually would not be shocked if he slinked off again at the end of the season and we have to find a new manager and direction, which is probably what we should have done when we replaced Hecky in my opinion. He does not seem someone who will keep losing week after week and stay around? Just a feeling I have. As I say, the issues are much bigger than the manager and the whole club needs a restructure from top to bottom but the inability to attract a new owner means these changes seem a long way off reality and I believe we will burn through another manager or two before this happens.
Very generous marks to whole team. All those getting a 1 would get a big fat zero from me, especially Wilder who has completely fucked up.
Signing Holgate, dropping Robinson, selecting Souza and Brooks in midfield, it’s a complete mess. Wilder needs to walk now.

Top post Deadbat. Our board doesn’t include footballing people (remember Wilder having a side-ways swipe when he said the board at ‘Boro were footballing people). Yusuf Giansiracusa openly admits he knows nothing about football. He is the clever lawyer that ran rings around McCabe’s lawyers to take control of Utd. Ever since the Prince has been a reluctant owner. Claims could have sold Illy & Berger last Jan and profited. But he knew if he rolled the dice and Utd won promotion, Utd’s valuation would br higher / he would profit more out of a potential sale. He / his lawyer saw the financial opportunities of taking control of Utd from McCabe. They won ownership in a glorified card game at the Old Bailey. United World strategy is another example. Not benefited United one iota (we could have told him that) but with United as the Crown Jewels, makes the network more attractive to sell lock stock & barrel. Going no where with owner / board. And I agree, few ‘sack the Board’ chants might help push him along the way. UTB

First 20 min killed the game
Playing a high line vs leagues best counterteam didn't pay off mildly saying

I would have made all 5 changes at the break. Even at 0-3. Just to make a point it was unacceptable.

Why he only changed one at HT and then waited till the 5th on 46 & made two changes I don't know?

I can't believe what's happened to him, when be joined us he looked decent, not seen the games recently but sounds like he's taken several steps (leaps!) backwards.

Anel and Trusty really need to come out of the team completely.

Problem is we don’t have anyone to replace them with.

Maybe throw Curtis even though wasn’t specifically signed for this season.

Also I now believe after we had a spell of scoring more goals and at least looking dangerous going forward, there is no way we set up like we gave again.

Wilder will go back to being really defensive with no real ambition to attack, starting at Luton. The problem is, that's how Hecky did things and in truth we were really negative and defensive but not even very good at it and still conceded chance after chance and conceded tons of goals as the team just sat deep and almost conceded possession, waiting till opponents scored.

The entertainment and football had been better but we saw signs of this unravelling v Brighton and Palace and then we looked awful in every aspect yesterday.

The style now will be to try and avoid embarrassment in games will be just to defend and play for the odd chance on the break, like we did under Hecky.

There is no way Wilder opens it up now bit as I have said we can't defend, don't keep the ball and don't win tackles/go with runners,so expect quite a few more wallopings regardless if he goes more defensive.

I think Luton will get a hatful, if you excuse the pun next week as they are flying and scoring goals for fun due to their pace, physicality and direct style.

Then we play Brighton and Wolves who have been ripping far better teams than us apart.

Then Arsenal!

I see us conceding an avalanche of goals in the next month and almost certainly 4 more defeats.

I have earmarked Fulham, Burnley and Forest as the three games left where we might eek 1 to 2 more points at least to break Derbys record but I genuinely would not be shocked if we finish on 14 or 15 points at best. We've won two games this season and are 3/5ths through so 1 win and a couple of draws might be the best we can hope for?

Also I now believe after we had a spell of scoring more goals and at least looking dangerous going forward, there is no way we set up like we gave again.

Wilder will go back to being really defensive with no real ambition to attack, starting at Luton. The problem is, that's how Hecky did things and in truth we were really negative and defensive but not even very good at it and still conceded chance after chance and conceded tons of goals as the team just sat deep and almost conceded possession, waiting till opponents scored.

The entertainment and football had been better but we saw signs of this unravelling v Brighton and Palace and then we looked awful in every aspect yesterday.

The style now will be to try and avoid embarrassment in games will be just to defend and play for the odd chance on the break, like we did under Hecky.

There is no way Wilder opens it up now bit as I have said we can't defend, don't keep the ball and don't win tackles/go with runners,so expect quite a few more wallopings regardless if he goes more defensive.

I think Luton will get a hatful, if you excuse the pun next week as they are flying and scoring goals for fun due to their pace, physicality and direct style.

Then we play Brighton and Wolves who have been ripping far better teams than us apart.

Then Arsenal!

I see us conceding an avalanche of goals in the next month and almost certainly 4 more defeats.

I have earmarked Fulham, Burnley and Forest as the three games left where we might eek 1 to 2 more points at least to break Derbys record but I genuinely would not be shocked if we finish on 14 or 15 points at best. We've won two games this season and are 3/5ths through so 1 win and a couple of draws might be the best we can hope for?

Reminds me of the other game against Villa where they made that miraculous comeback.

That game really seemed to scar Wilder and we didn’t seem as much as an attacking threat for the remainder of that season either.

Back
Top Bottom