United 0 Aston Villa 5 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top post Deadbat. Our board doesn’t include footballing people (remember Wilder having a side-ways swipe when he said the board at ‘Boro were footballing people). Yusuf Giansiracusa openly admits he knows nothing about football. He is the clever lawyer that ran rings around McCabe’s lawyers to take control of Utd. Ever since the Prince has been a reluctant owner. Claims could have sold Illy & Berger last Jan and profited. But he knew if he rolled the dice and Utd won promotion, Utd’s valuation would br higher / he would profit more out of a potential sale. He / his lawyer saw the financial opportunities of taking control of Utd from McCabe. They won ownership in a glorified card game at the Old Bailey. United World strategy is another example. Not benefited United one iota (we could have told him that) but with United as the Crown Jewels, makes the network more attractive to sell lock stock & barrel. Going no where with owner / board. And I agree, few ‘sack the Board’ chants might help push him along the way. UTB

You forgot to add Norrington-Davies other key contribution in the first ten minutes. The whole team were to the left side of the pitch and he received the ball under no pressure. All of a sudden Norrington-Davies launches it over everyone to the far right corner of the pitch where there was absolutely no one and it goes out of play and back to Villa's possession. To his credit he was one of a handful of players who actually touched the ball in the first half. In the last ten minutes of the first half we touched the ball twice by my count.

I watched Luton yesterday and yes they have a structure and plan on how to approach each game and their getting the rewards for that,indeed they were unlucky not to win.
But the big fundamental difference to us is their matching other teams with their physicality and strength, epitomised by Ogbene who as l pointed out before we could have had for free last summer, one incident which led to a penalty for Luton came with him blowing Dan burn out of the way.
You have to be an athlete to begin with, we don't have them
Ogbene was an obvious one pre season, bizarrely we go and pay money for Traore instead. We'll also look back and regret not getting the Rotherham keeper, who had a great game again yesterday.

Felt a bit for Holgate and the midfielders yesterday. Playing two in the middle against Villa was a staggeringly bad idea, and one everyone knew was doomed to fail within about ten minutes. Simply too much for Brooks and Souza to deal with - so much so John McGinn ended up playing the majority of the first half in an inside left kind of position meaning Holgate had no idea who to pick up.

Just an awful selection and system that culminated in the result it deserved. I've felt largely positive since Wilder's return but yesterday had me questioning all that.

As for the players I thought that only the subs came out with any credit at all, albeit they had it much easier as Villa has essentially declared at 5 for no loss.

Completely agree with all your comments Deadbat. Slightly low on BBD mark and slightly too high on Archer's but spot on otherwise.

For me, leave Wilder in post until the end of this season and let him absorb all the shit that is flung at us. He has so little good faith from the fanbase because of how he left the club last time si he can carry the shit this time for me.

Get talking early to Cooper or Rosenior and get them to change the entire culture and mentality of the club from top to bottom next season.

The owner has to take a lot of the blame but he doesn't have the money or the interest to take us forward. It would be more acceptable if he'd even effectively communicate with us. but no...just silence. Until someone with a clear interest and purpose comes forward, then we are stuck with his 'sticking tape' approach. At least we don't appear to be in huge debt, though.

utb

Pretty accurate if depressing report .
I‘ve never rated Wilder so none of this is a surprise. He is obviously doing it for the money and will follow the party line and will not go unless pushed.
He has clearly been told to work within a budget and financed Holgate by getting rid of Fleck and putting a few out on loan.
He is the Princes man , so next Season will be more of the same.
Fucking hell! I hope not😒

I agree with this report wholeheartedly

I’m assuming CWAK will have lost the dressing room now after a disastrous week the same as Hecky did. How do you convince players your methods are worth following after that.

Random stats from the game:
  • Hamer did more "key passes" than the rest of the team put together (but perhaps was because Villa had stopped trying!).
  • Souza made more than double the number of tackles than anyone else.
  • RND made no tackles, no blocks and no clearances.
  • Brooks only touched the ball nine times (symptomatic of broader team set up).
  • Anel made as many tackles as the rest of the defence put together, and had 100% pass accuracy (with 41 passes - although many were presumably sideways).

thanks for the effort but what a miserable read. Going to go against the flow for a bit of balance. I stayed until the end but did not boo or applaud the side off. Plenty of proper Sheffield gallows humour between Blades at the end which raised my spririts a bit . You missed The last 5 min when we scored (but for a var decision that took a ridiculous 3 min to conclude that of course SUFC can have nothing ) which were the best part of the match to watch. Had this been allowed we held villa at 1 -1 for the final 70 min of the game - scarcely a capitulation. ( but I do get that Vila were coasting a bit ) We started ok and had a disastrous 25 min period due to a tactical miscalculation that was ruthlessly exploited with some top level finishing by a team that has as many points this season as Man City. Wilders high press idea was poorly executed by the young inexperienced players and he should have changed it after the second goal but Villa were so ruthlessly clinical and the players shocked that there was a 10 minute implosion. Not a cause for car park protests just what can happen with poor tactics and inexperienced players faced with some of the best in the world. A 10 minute debacle in a football match not the end of the world for United. Of course this performance wasn’t good enough and lessons must and will be learned but I respected wilders reaction and think there will be progress from this low point.

Last edited:
thanks for the effort but what a miserable read. Going to go against the flow for a bit of balance. I stayed until the end but did not boo or applaud the side off. Plenty of proper Sheffield gallows humour between Blades at the end which raised my spririts a bit . The last 5 min when we scored (but for a var decision that took a ridiculous 3 min to conclude that of course SUFC can have nothing ) were the best part of the match to watch. Had this been allowed we held villa at 1 -1 for the final 70 min of the game - scarcely a capitulation. ( but I do get that Vila were coasting a bit ) We started ok and had a disastrous 25 min period due to a tactical miscalculation that was ruthlessly exploited with some top level finishing by a team that has as many points this season as Man City. Wilders high press idea was poorly executed by the young inexperienced players and he should have changed it after the second goal but Villa were so ruthless and the players shocked that there was a 10 minute implosion. Not a cause for car park protests just what can happen with poor tactics and inexperienced players faced with some of the best in the world. A 10 minute debacle in a football match not the end of the world for United. Of course this performance wasn’t good enough and lessons must and will be learned but I respected wilders reaction and think there will be progress from this low point.
Narrators voice "United went on to lose their next game"

Random stats from the game:
  • Hamer did more "key passes" than the rest of the team put together (but perhaps was because Villa had stopped trying!).
  • Souza made more than double the number of tackles than anyone else.
  • RND made no tackles, no blocks and no clearances.
  • Brooks only touched the ball nine times (symptomatic of broader team set up).
  • Anel made as many tackles as the rest of the defence put together, and had 100% pass accuracy (with 41 passes - although many were presumably sideways).
Whilst stats can be slanted to prove almost anything, it is also clear that fans should avoid band wagon scapegoating of individuals - which is then subject to ongoing confirmation bias - when there is a more central issue.

It takes time and effort to write that kind of match report when you are a Blades fan. Very detailed and considered under awful circumstances.

I agree that the likes of Davies, Hamer and Sousa need to start now. McAtee, BBD and Archer won’t be here next season, but we need them too to rescue what’s left of this season. Hopefully.

Start Brookes or keep him on the bench?

They are Championship players
Not sure some of them are even that DB, depressing really.

Our recruitment has been absolutely horrendous, we are a much worse than the one that got promoted we are not only going down in an embarrassing fashion, we are unlikely to be able to do anything to address it next season either. I am usually one of the more optimistic fans but logic says there isn't anything there. We are as bad as that Derby side that went down with 11 points and then found themselves in a relegation dogfight at the lower level with the likes of Jay McEveley playing for them (they didn't win a game in the championship for ages until we went to Pride Park of course!) and we have seen the likes of really poor Sunderland and Wolves teams drop 2 divisions in more recent times. With players due to leave in the summer who are out of contract and little money around to even compete with teams at the top end of the Championship for recruitment we are a busted flush and without the owner selling up it might actually be League 1 with parachute payments before we find a level he can compete in financially.

Sad, sad times.

Slightly low on BBD mark and slightly too high on Archer's but spot on otherwise.

I would agree on BBD. Although he didn't take that early chance, he did at least get in the right position and timed his run well. After that I don't think he saw the ball at all other than aimless punts for him to head on.

Busy weekend so first time i've been able to really catch up.

Good report as always DB, marking the players must have been difficult, not sure i would have given any marks this week,.
That was as depressing a watch you could ever have, I actually found myself feeling sorry for the players, to be a professional in any walk of life and be so humiliated by in front of a baying crowd must be awful.

The team looks so unbalanced and lacking in any kind of quality, we desperately need a JOC or an Egan in the middle of the defence,
we need a play - maker in the middle of the park (a younger Norwood ?), and we need a Billy Sharp type up front that knows how to run a defence ragged, we have none of these types of player.

A few comments, First Anel!! he is poor and was poor last season, he relied on shirt pulling and wrestling his man, yes you can get away with that in the Championship but he is being cruelly exposed for what he is this season, just a poor footballer.

Oslula, he might have some promise but unless he can score goals on a regular basis he is never going to make it, (I do realise he is still young so time is on his side)

I think Archer was meant to be our "new" Billy Sharp and some! but he like Osula is not the finished article.

I like BBD he is the only player who looks lik
e he has a goal in him, of course he is not ours.

I like Souza, but i don't think he suits our style, I'm sure he would be a good player for another team for me he just doesn't fit.

Frankly I really don't know where any manager could put a strong team out with the squad we have, it really does need a sort out in the summer.

Now for the positives!!! (this ones for Davalon :D ) I heard one of the Sky commentators saying we need Eight wins out of our remaining matches so I looked at our remaining games and could see Five games we should be looking to win (can't remember which five) ignoring current form for a mo' - then I thought if did win those five games - could we possibly nick another three wins (somewhere!) - we yeah, it's possible! - so now it's down to Wilder to prove he is the manager HE thinks he is and get those wins,
AS Donald Trump said "YES WE CAN" - come on you Blades prove me right.

With recent results against Villa suggesting we are a bit of a bogey team and their recent drop off in form. I used the £10 free bet I had saved for a long time to put on a United win. If Aston Villa could have chosen the setup and focus of an opposition team, they would not have been very far off what they met. Sometimes I see 1/10 ratings and think they are a bit for effect, but it really was that abysmal. Villa have found it tough breaking teams down, even us not so long ago, so I cannot understand where any pre-match tactic would have included, ‘let Ollie Watkins have as much space as he wants‘. They will never have an easier game at this level.

I left on 0-3 because my mates just turned and walked out en masse, I’d probably have given it to at least halftime. Seriously thinking of packing it in for the rest of the season I’m so disgusted at the current situation.
We're saying the same. I did stay the whole game but watched the last 10 minutes in the concourse, which turned out to be colder than the stand. What's the point supporting the players when it makes no difference. I suppose all that is keeping us going is the hope of scraping past 11 points. I certainly won't be putting myself out for any night matches.

We're saying the same. I did stay the whole game but watched the last 10 minutes in the concourse, which turned out to be colder than the stand. What's the point supporting the players when it makes no difference. I suppose all that is keeping us going is the hope of scraping past 11 points. I certainly won't be putting myself out for any night matches.
Not a bad idea that. Give the night matches a miss. Free Palestine

brutal assessment and rating levels but unfortunately accurate
Anel I thought made a case for the first ever minus rating
The most depressing thing about the display was thebody language
our players looked akin to Christians in the Arena in Rome coming up against the lions.
Thet really looked like they wanted to be a thousand miles away

when did we replace cruching tackles with a polite you go first mate curtsey
who told our players you can close down the opposition from 15 yards away
Villa players had more space than Major Tom

thanks for the effort but what a miserable read. Going to go against the flow for a bit of balance. I stayed until the end but did not boo or applaud the side off. Plenty of proper Sheffield gallows humour between Blades at the end which raised my spririts a bit . You missed The last 5 min when we scored (but for a var decision that took a ridiculous 3 min to conclude that of course SUFC can have nothing ) which were the best part of the match to watch. Had this been allowed we held villa at 1 -1 for the final 70 min of the game - scarcely a capitulation. ( but I do get that Vila were coasting a bit ) We started ok and had a disastrous 25 min period due to a tactical miscalculation that was ruthlessly exploited with some top level finishing by a team that has as many points this season as Man City. Wilders high press idea was poorly executed by the young inexperienced players and he should have changed it after the second goal but Villa were so ruthlessly clinical and the players shocked that there was a 10 minute implosion. Not a cause for car park protests just what can happen with poor tactics and inexperienced players faced with some of the best in the world. A 10 minute debacle in a football match not the end of the world for United. Of course this performance wasn’t good enough and lessons must and will be learned but I respected wilders reaction and think there will be progress from this low point.
Narrators voice "United went on to lose their next game"
Eat a big slice of humble pie please WF10BLADE

UTFMB
⚔️⚔️⚔️

The main differences between the 1s and 2s from the Villa game and the incoming 7s and 8s from today's game is organisation and tweaked tactics.

Back
Top Bottom