The Great Tony Currie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good link grafikhaus although I never had you down as a Daily Hate reader.

The bit with Don Revie should make everybody's blood boil:

Don Revie, however, did not care to notice, which goes some way to explaining why Currie’s international career became a source of frustration, both to him and those who knew him.

‘One day, after a training session, he got me, Alan Hudson, Charlie George, Rodney Marsh, Frank Worthington and Stan Bowles together at Bisham Abbey. There was no game, it was just a get-together,’ Currie recalls.

‘And he told the six of us we didn’t figure in his plans. No explanation. We looked at each other and walked off. I was in most of his squads but he only played me once in three years, Switzerland away.

‘It might have been different had Alf Ramsey kept his job. It was a big mistake getting rid of him. I think they realised that in the end. It set us back 10 years. We never qualified for the World Cup in ’74 and ’78, and they were my year

Our best gifted players were cast away by the bingo loving, match fixing DirtyLeeds wanker!

Great article. I bet anyone of my era didn't have a dry eye reading that. I was at the Liverpool game in 68 he referred to. It was a clear sunny day and quite warm so I left my mac on the coach. It was a Ben Sherman I think, and a lot of others left theirs on too. When we returned to the coach they'd all been nicked and It dawned on me then that jokes about thieving scousers weren't jokes at all but a social commentary. My mother was furious, she was still paying for it on the never never for two years after I got it nicked.

GT News in Crosspool this morning had sold out of Völkischer Beobachter. I've taken out a subscription. :D

Don Revie, however, did not care to notice, which goes some way to explaining why Currie’s international career became a source of frustration, both to him and those who knew him.

‘One day, after a training session, he got me, Alan Hudson, Charlie George, Rodney Marsh, Frank Worthington and Stan Bowles together at Bisham Abbey. There was no game, it was just a get-together,’ Currie recalls.

‘And he told the six of us we didn’t figure in his plans. No explanation. We looked at each other and walked off. I was in most of his squads but he only played me once in three years, Switzerland away.

‘It might have been different had Alf Ramsey kept his job. It was a big mistake getting rid of him. I think they realised that in the end. It set us back 10 years. We never qualified for the World Cup in ’74 and ’78, and they were my year

Our best gifted players were cast away by the bingo loving, match fixing DirtyLeeds wanker!

Agree. I went to the England v West Germany friendly at Wembley on 12th March 1975. I'd had a T-shirt made with 'Currie for England - Revie Out!'. Most people who saw it said 'I agree with the first bit, but not the second.' If only they'd had my unfailing footballing insight... TC didn't play in that match but, TBF, the midfield was Alan Ball, Colin Bell and Alan Hudson.

Revie's 'achievements' at Leeds were entirely down to gamesmanship, clogging, cheating and intimidating the ref. Why the old duffers at the FA didn't realise this, I don't know - but it makes the later appointment of Allardyce more understandable. At one time, useless managers used to get the England job based on their ability to look good in a blazer, but now it's changed. Nowadays, it's a waistcoat. But back to TC.

"Moreover, it cements his status as the club’s greatest ever player.." Many older fans - including my dad - may disagree and think it was Jimmy Hagan. But different times etc.

I was at Currie's debut at home to Spurs on 26th Feb. 1968 where we won 3-2 and Currie got the second. I was also at his last game for the Blades on May 4, 1976 where an already (massively) relegated Blades drew 1-1 at home to Birmingham in front of 30,782. A month later he was gone. To fucking Leeds. I was at Old Trafford on April 23rd 1973 (Bobby Charlton's last home game):

bctc.jpg
Two absolute legends - BC and TC

I was at the night game v Arsenal on Sept. 4, 1973 where we won 5-0 and TC sat on the ball. I was on the kop on March 22, 1975 where TC scored a couple in a 3-2 win over West Ham ('A quality goal by a quality player' - I ended up about 20 steps down from where I'd started!) and I was there on April 26th 1975 where Currie scored in a 4-0 win over Leicester and the world-famous 'Kiss'

kiss.jpg

Finally, I was at Wembley on 17th October 1973 when a 1-1 draw with Poland saw England fail to qualify for the 1974 World Cup in Germany (I went anyway). In an incredibly one-sided match that saw England take 36 shots to Poland's two, force 26 corners, hit the woodwork twice and have four efforts cleared off the line.

poland.jpg
Here, TC, Martin Chivers, Martin Peters, Mick Shannon and Roy McFarland trudge off

Food for thought? The great TC was capped 17 times for England. Carlton Palmer got 18 caps.

GT News in Crosspool this morning had sold out of Völkischer Beobachter

You can't really blame GT though as publication ceased in April 1945. It may have had something to do with the preponderance of Russian T34s in Berlin at that time.

Revie's 'achievements' at Leeds were entirely down to gamesmanship, clogging, cheating and intimidating the ref. Why the old duffers at the FA didn't realise this, I don't know - but it makes the later appointment of Allardyce more understandable. At one time, useless managers used to get the England job based on their ability to look good in a blazer, but now it's changed. Nowadays, it's a waistcoat. But back to TC.

'Twas ever thus. Cloughie, the best manager England never had, would have had none of it and the FA knew it.

Despite the Southgate love-in during the WC he will still disappoint in the medium/long term. I don't want to reopen old threads but most diehard fans don't give a shit about the national team and much prefer our club sides. This is not a lack of patriotism or similar, just bitter experience.

As a Unitedite since birth in the 1960s, I only have room in my heart for ONE lost casue.

You can't really blame GT though as publication ceased in April 1945. It may have had something to do with the preponderance of Russian T34s in Berlin at that time.

So how come they've stopped stocking 'Build Your Own Lamborghini'? (600 issues at £7.99 each). I began to have my doubts when issue 1 (£0.99) came with three free wheels and a windscreen. Issue 2? A valve spring. Have I been had?

'Twas ever thus. Cloughie, the best manager England never had, would have had none of it and the FA knew it.

Despite the Southgate love-in during the WC he will still disappoint in the medium/long term. I don't want to reopen old threads but most diehard fans don't give a shit about the national team and much prefer our club sides. This is not a lack of patriotism or similar, just bitter experience.

As a Unitedite since birth in the 1960s, I only have room in my heart for ONE lost casue.
Agreed on the sentiment about cloughie, but even he was prone to taking the odd brown envelope. Allegedly.

Seems from the comments after the article, that TC was admired by people all over the country not just in Sheffield. I feel blessed to have seen him and Woody in their prime. Great memories.
wherever i go in the country.. the conversation inevitably turns to football. for people of a certain age the conversation goes ..
who do you support?
sheffield united
tony currie.. what a player..

I know you're not allowed to say a word against John Harris on here (although slagging off every other successful ex-manager is apparently fine).
But what the hell was he playing at here with his silent car journey and sad sighing when Currie signed for Leeds?
Why didn't he just discuss the proposed move with Currie instead of turning it into some bizarre game of charades?

<< Three years later, when the Blades were relegated, Currie was told to go and see John Harris, who was the manager when he arrived, but had since taken the role of general manager.

‘I went to his house,’ recalls Currie. ‘We got in his car and he drove me all the way to Leeds without me knowing where I was going. I didn’t ask him. And he didn’t tell me.

‘We pulled up at Elland Road. He said, “Go on son, they want to sign you”. When I came back, he said, “What happened?” and I said, “Well, I’ve signed”. He sighed and his head dropped >>

i remember once seeing Alan Hudson beat (the then) West Germany single handedly. he was dropped for the next game

Alan Hudson was a fine player - almost as good as TC and much better than Bowles , Marsh and Worthington .

The fact that Revie had all of them at his disposal and chose not select a single one of them pretty much sums up his time as England manager .

Nasty , greedy , cheating , lying twat of the very highest order .

I know you're not allowed to say a word against John Harris on here (although slagging off every other successful ex-manager is apparently fine).
But what the hell was he playing at here with his silent car journey and sad sighing when Currie signed for Leeds?
Why didn't he just discuss the proposed move with Currie instead of turning it into some bizarre game of charades?

<< Three years later, when the Blades were relegated, Currie was told to go and see John Harris, who was the manager when he arrived, but had since taken the role of general manager.

‘I went to his house,’ recalls Currie. ‘We got in his car and he drove me all the way to Leeds without me knowing where I was going. I didn’t ask him. And he didn’t tell me.

‘We pulled up at Elland Road. He said, “Go on son, they want to sign you”. When I came back, he said, “What happened?” and I said, “Well, I’ve signed”. He sighed and his head dropped >>

I agree. John Harris would have been a bigger legend if he'd said to the board 'Fuck off. If you want to get rid of TC, you drive him to Leeds.'

Alan Hudson was a fine player - almost as good as TC and much better than Bowles , Marsh and Worthington .

The fact that Revie had all of them at his disposal and chose not select a single one of them pretty much sums up his time as England manager .

Nasty , greedy , cheating , lying twat of the very highest order .
Revie wasn't as nice as you suggest.

Agree with all this TC was the reason I became a Blade
Many years later i worked with John Flynn, he always thought Alan Woodward was the better player
Its an absolute disgrace Woody never got an England cap he was the natural replacement for Bobby Charlton
they both just played for the wrong club at the wrong time

'They played Martin Dobson and Brian Talbot and Trevor Cherry in midfield' just about sums all that was wrong with the England team

Agree with all this TC was the reason I became a Blade
Many years later i worked with John Flynn, he always thought Alan Woodward was the better player
Its an absolute disgrace Woody never got an England cap he was the natural replacement for Bobby Charlton
they both just played for the wrong club at the wrong time

'They played Martin Dobson and Brian Talbot and Trevor Cherry in midfield' just about sums all that was wrong with the England team
Ramsey decided not to play wingers for most of his time as England manager.

A 'Who's Who' of the talent at the time.
That is a superb collection of very gifted players. They said if Stan Bowles could pass a bookies like he could pass a ball he would have been a rich man ;)

Back
Top Bottom