The club, the players, the management, can't say this

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After witnessing John Nicholson being killed by a tram outside the Midland station a few hours earlier, are you saying that the 5-0 defeat at Aston Villa had nothing to do with the players' witnessing Nicholson's death?
1. The players worked closely with Nicholson. They did not work closely with her.

2. It happened on the way to the game.

3. I suggest you educate yourself as to united’s record at Villa Park between the Wars. That was during our run of 13 straight defeats or 16 straight defeats. Sorry, I forget which.

On a more focussed point, are you another one saying that the players can be excused their pathetic performance because of the death of someone who doesn’t play in their team?

She also had a key role in the media team, so likely day to day interaction with the squad. Heckingbottom was quoted as saying she was a big part of everything at the club.
And this means that the performance yesterday can be excused?

Strange,
Maddy wore the 8 shirt
Players came out in 8 shirts
We clapped in the 8th minute
We lose 8-0
8 yesterday
Pre.match, I sat in my seat reading Wikipedia on Newcastle United history. Suddenly I was intrigued about finding out more about the 4 4 Newcastle United comeback v Arsenal in 2011. Cheik Tiote got the equaliser in an 8 goal game. I was shocked to be reminded he died while training in Beijing, in 2017, aged 30.

I have no idea. I am responding to your statement that they did not work closely with her.
I would query whether that is a close working relationship actually, but I do not see the point worthy of debate.

Of all the things to argue about. Supposition rather than knowledge. Arguing who “knows” best. Pontificating over knowing how people you don’t know will be feeling.

Some of you need to grow up and fuck your egos.
Sure thing, Mr Pot.

I don't buy this one at all. It's a work colleague (at best) at a club that employs about 500 people, not a family member. And the way you'd want to pay respect was by putting up a fight, not by rolling over in the softest manner in the club's history.
People are affected differently by death.

I know work isn’t life for everyone, but personally I feel close to many people I work with despite not always liking everyone and everything about the job.

I work on a project I’ve been on for the last 15 months, we have approx 500 people of many nationalities and I don’t know everyone on the project, many are offshore.

If someone was to pass away for whatever reason i know many on the project would be affected, we’re one big team at the end of the day.

Would it make me shit at my job for a few days or weeks, possibly, I don’t know.

It’s not an excuse, just part of life sometimes.

Would I blame it for yesterdays result and performance? I don’t think so. I’m less inclined to suggest it was an excuse or justification. I’m sure the players won’t say that either

What I will say though is that the performance was extremely out of character. Whilst Newcastle demonstrated at times that they were a class above us, they weren’t 8 goals above on any other day. It’ll hurt our players today

Things have to change and fast, we need to be better in the basics and if players can’t put the effort in, then we find players that can.

But I can.

I never knew Maddy, I never met her, and I never saw her play but nevertheless her passing hit me hard.

I don't know why, I can't explain it, but I do know that many others have expressed similar feelings on here.

Now just imagine what yesterday must have been like for those that knew Maddy well and interacted with her on a daily basis everywhere around the club.

Just before kick off we had a very emotional tribute to Maddy followed by a minutes silence and my emotions of sadness re emerged with a vengeance.

Our players, are human beings with human emotions and given their closeness to Maddy, coupled with the way I felt myself I'm giving everyone connected with the club a free pass for yesterday.

I wouldn't have been mentally fit to play the game so I'm certain that many of our team would have been in an even worse mental state.
Yesterday I walked out at 5-0. Shocked and slightly disgruntled at what I put down to a lack of effort. Thanks for that post. It’s made me think in a completely different light today. Every death is sad but when you lose someone so young and unexpectedly regardless of your relationship to that person it must hit you really hard. At the end of the day it’s just a game of football isn’t it? It means nothing in the context of what’s happened at the club this week.

And I’ll ask you again - does this excuse yesterday’s performance?
I am not sure, I am open minded about this as I had not heard of her and I dont follow women's football. You are saying that yesterday's performance has nothing to do with Maddy's death so you are saying that you know more about Maddy than we do?

With respect to the OP, stop trying to find reasons or excuses. It’s football. Shit happens. The fans are angry, upset and disappointed.

The reaction of those who put the blades shirt on, will tell you all you need to know next time out. Their reaction can only be helped by fans supporting them. Move on.

Back
Top Bottom