The club, the players, the management, can't say this

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maidenhead

Reaction score
But I can.

I never knew Maddy, I never met her, and I never saw her play but nevertheless her passing hit me hard.

I don't know why, I can't explain it, but I do know that many others have expressed similar feelings on here.

Now just imagine what yesterday must have been like for those that knew Maddy well and interacted with her on a daily basis everywhere around the club.

Just before kick off we had a very emotional tribute to Maddy followed by a minutes silence and my emotions of sadness re emerged with a vengeance.

Our players, are human beings with human emotions and given their closeness to Maddy, coupled with the way I felt myself I'm giving everyone connected with the club a free pass for yesterday.

I wouldn't have been mentally fit to play the game so I'm certain that many of our team would have been in an even worse mental state.

But I can.

I never knew Maddy, I never met her, and I never saw her play but nevertheless her passing hit me hard.

I don't know why, I can't explain it, but I do know that many others have expressed similar feelings on here.

Now just imagine what yesterday must have been like for those that knew Maddy well and interacted with her on a daily basis everywhere around the club.

Just before kick off we had a very emotional tribute to Maddy followed by a minutes silence and my emotions of sadness re emerged with a vengeance.

Our players, are human beings with human emotions and given their closeness to Maddy, coupled with the way I felt myself I'm giving everyone connected with the club a free pass for yesterday.

I wouldn't have been mentally fit to play the game so I'm certain that many of our team would have been in an even worse mental state.
I said this to my mate who told me to stop making excuses.

End of the day, their mate and colleague had just died and were expected to remain fully focussed on trying to beat a top-4 team.

Strange day all round yesterday. Maybe Phil’s idea of postponing the game wasn’t a bad one. Although good luck getting Newcastle, the PL and Sky to agree to that.

It’s clear her passing had an impact on everyone at the club. Not sure it gives the players a free pass for that performance though.

PH eluded to this in his interview without rolling it out as an excuse - respect

Some on here are calling for people to be sacked
To never wear the shirt again
That we’re relegated already

Not sure what happened to Maddie, but she had more fight and guts than the bed wetters on here bitchin and whining

11 blokes lost a game of football ffs

Puts shit into perspective, thank you Maidenhead

I don't buy this one at all. It's a work colleague (at best) at a club that employs about 500 people, not a family member. And the way you'd want to pay respect was by putting up a fight, not by rolling over in the softest manner in the club's history.

I don't want to sound insensitive but you'd surly harness that power and put up a fight no? To honour her memory.

Unless the 8-0 was deliberate? The lead up to a few goals were easy to call that they'd score. Hmmmm...
It should have been 8.0 to us in that case.

Whats obvious is that everyone deals with it in different ways

Yes there are 500 employees, but this isnt Doris who serves pies behind the kop

All the players will have trained at Shirecliffe at the same time, attended POTY events, had tickets organised for family by her etc

Since PH took over, we have lost many games, but we've never been turned over - Man C Wembley - 5 games into this season =
Man C took till 88th min to score the winner
We were beating Spurs at 90mins
Florist 89th min

Point is we are competitive.......... but not yesterday, yesterday we were shit, no other words for it

But is it any coincidence that we trot out our worse performance on the day we pay respects to a Blade

We will find out at London shitty Stadium and Fulham, these are both games we could get something from, a couple more drubbings and the lads are there to be shot at - Im happy to give them the benefit of the doubt on yesterday

I don't buy this one at all. It's a work colleague (at best) at a club that employs about 500 people, not a family member. And the way you'd want to pay respect was by putting up a fight, not by rolling over in the softest manner in the club's history.
With respect some people are a lot closer to 'work colleagues' than they are their own family. The kit man was in tears yesterday taking the number 8 shirts off the players before kick off - clearly badly affected. Yes its not an excuse for the performance, but it is a genuine reason for focus wasn't at 100%

I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt on yesterday
I've stood for a minute's silence on many previous occasions but I don't think I previously felt similar emotion. It's impossible to know what effect Maddy's passing would have on the club but many staff and players would have known her well and it's understandable that they would feel quite emotional. I noticed the bloke next to me, who always appears fairly hard hearted and critical of the team, was wiping tears from his eyes on two occasions prior to the match starting.

The team possibly managed to hold it together initially but after the first dubious decision, I can understand how they lost focus. They are human beings after all.

But I can.

Got to concur here. I have a 27 year old daughter and I cannot imagine how people close to Maddy must be feeling.

Yesterday was a real tough one. A friend I played vets with killed himself recently. At the vets game yesterday they had a minutes applause. I missed it as I was down in Sheffield. My applause at the lane yesterday was for Maddy and Matt. I was in tears. Possibly this did have an affect on the team.

I find it distasteful to say the least to offer the tragic death of a young woman as an excuse for incompetence and lack of effort.
Whilst I find it disheartening that some human beings are totally devoid of compassion.

I guess it's just the way we're wired.

I said this to my mate who told me to stop making excuses.

End of the day, their mate and colleague had just died and were expected to remain fully focussed on trying to beat a top-4 team.
“Trying to beat” and not getting rolled over 8 nil at home are 2 different things.

Yesterday was embarrassing, no excuse for how some of the players applied themselves.

Whilst I find it disheartening that some human beings are totally devoid of compassion.

I guess it's just the way we're wired.
I’m not devoid of compassion. But I’m also not casting around looking for excuses for yesterday.

You assume in your post that the players were close to this lady. Were they? How do you know this?

Our defeat has nothing to do with her death. Nothing.

I’m not devoid of compassion. But I’m also not casting around looking for excuses for yesterday.

You assume in your post that the players were close to this lady. Were they? How do you know this?

You don’t know whether or not that is the case. Only the players do, so maybe ask them. They certainly did know her & would have seen & interacted with her most days, more so since the women went full time.

I don’t think people are making excuses for them, simply saying it might be a factor. Emotional intelligence. As has been said, everyone responds to grief in their own way. There isn’t a right or wrong way.

You don’t know whether or not that is the case. Only the players do, so maybe ask them. They certainly did know her & would have seen & interacted with her most days, more so since the women went full time.

I don’t think people are making excuses for them, simply saying it might be a factor. Emotional intelligence. As has been said, everyone responds to grief in their own way. There isn’t a right or wrong way.
The OP is 100 per cent making excuses for them. He says he’s giving them a free pass. Read it for yourself.

After witnessing John Nicholson being killed by a tram outside the Midland station a few hours earlier, are you saying that the 5-0 defeat at Aston Villa had nothing to do with the players' witnessing Nicholson's death?

Back
Top Bottom