The Blades player who made me fall in love with football was.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No one really.
Started going when I was about 7 (1977). Keef has always been my legend. It's why he can do no wrong on commentaries, to me. :D

Same as Silent Blade, Gilbert Reece was my first favourite. I did have posters of all the players from that era on my wall. A team of favourites.

Sabella, although I hardly ever saw him play. Don't think people realise what a thrill it was to have an Argentine playing for us. I'd never even heard of Argentina before the 1978 World Cup.

Although my dad did take me to a few matches at the Lane in the late 1960s, after the matches he would tell my mum at home saying that I am not really "ready" in going to football matches. On January 3rd 1970 I stayed at home watching Grandstand (I was half watching a Rugby League match) and I was aware that the Blades had beaten Everton 2-1 (I dont think I was really aware of the difference between the FA Cup and the League). In the next day my dad watched the highlights of our win against Everton on YTV so I decided to watch it with him. I was impressed with what I saw and was aware that Colin Addison had scored the winner of the match (photo below) so he is probably the player that made me fall in love with the Blades (and football) and then after that I became a Lane regular.

index.php

I loved Colin Addison - skilful, tenacious and a great footballing brain .

I could never understand why he was so underrated by many Blades fans at the time .

First love - Sir James Hagan . Like watching one of the the great artists painting a canvas .

Closely followed by St. Joseph Shaw who was doing instinctively over 60 years ago what modern coaches are desperately trying to get there centre halves to do now , without achieving anywhere near the same level of expertise .

And just as his light faded , along came a certain Mr. Currie ........

Being a Blades fan has never been easy for any generation and , to some extent , that's what makes us what we are . Nevertheless , in spite of all the disappointments along the way , I feel truly privileged to have had the pleasure of watching these three and several others playing for the team I have followed and loved for over 70 years .

Closely followed by St. Joseph Shaw who was doing instinctively over 60 years ago what modern coaches are desperately trying to get there centre halves to do now , without achieving anywhere near the same level of expertise .

And just as his light faded , along came a certain Mr. Currie ........

Sadly never saw Joe Shaw, just before my time, but my (much) older brother told me a story. When he was taken to the Lane, very young, and was down at the front with my dad, Joe Shaw came to retreive a ball for a throw in and he recognised my dad and said hello - they used to play dominoes in the pub (no idea which one) apparently.

Has to be Tony Currie, what a great player, my first game circa 1975 v Leicester.

I loved Colin Addison - skilful, tenacious and a great footballing brain .

I could never understand why he was so underrated by many Blades fans at the time .

Me too. He and Willie Carlin were amongst my first favourites. Falling in love though, was a night game against Spurs and a truly magical debut by an unknown youth from Watford,

Back
Top Bottom