The biggest issue?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What’s the biggest issue?

• Fitness/injuries

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Recruitment

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Ownership

Votes: 133 57.3%
  • Management

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • Bad luck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VAR/refs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Selling Ndiaye and Berge

Votes: 9 3.9%

• Total voters

ShorehamRevolution

Reaction score
Obviously there’s been a collection of issues this season so far but if you had to nail it down to one, which would you pick?

It's multifactorial but selling 2 of your best players just before the season starts pulls the rug from under any plans that have been made. Injuries haven't helped.
Watching any football live has been ruined by var

Ownership. All the shit rolls downhill from there. Who decides sackings and appointments? Who has final say on transfers? The ownership.
I totally agree with you but the ownership is not changing anytime soon as much as we’d like it too. Some other options can be changed right now, and so for me we have to start with recruitment.

Ownership. All the shit rolls downhill from there. Who decides sackings and appointments? Who has final say on transfers? The ownership.
I agree in the main, our job was hard enough anyway without selling Ndiaye and Berge but then replacing them with the same or lesser quality players is not going to win you any prizes in the unforgiving premier league. The recruitment team will take all their information to the owners who sign it off, I’d argue that the clubs big wigs have to trust the professional opinion.
The ownership should certainly be questioning the fitness/medical side of things because the amount of injuries we’ve got is embarrassing and it’s not a new thing either.

This season is on the ownership. Selling your best players and not replacing them is brainless in any league. They prioritised making money over being competitive.

Ruthless clear out needed in summer now. McB, Baldock as well. Can’t have big hitters playing one game in 12 every season. Wish the board would fuck off but clearly nobody wants to own us apart from crooks.

If you choose Brighton as a very relevant comparison, they had some cash but not a lot, they've invested well I'm infrastructure. A good ground and fan experience, a quality accounting system, they've played the long game. Our owner could learn a lot of lessons from teams like Brighton and Brentford.

Obviously there’s been a collection of issues this season so far but if you had to nail it down to one, which would you pick?
Short term, it is selling Ndiaye. Longer term, it is having an antiquated club structure and an owner who doesn't have either the long term interest or funds to change it

Our defence for me via the recruitment team, the players we've signed in other positions have been in the most part fine.

Ownership for me. Things operate top-down and when the man at the top is (allegedly) trying to sell and uninterested, it’s little surprise that the pieces below aren’t functioning properly either.

We’ll be fighting an uphill battle until it’s resolved.

In part its all of the above, however the owner should be in a position to have a positive impact on most of them. I don't know how wealthy our owner is or isn't, compared to me he must surely be. But is he wealthy enough to support a vanity project in the Premier League, I suspect not based solely on the evidence of this season. That said, the wealth of the Saudis in Newcastle isn't exactly paying dividends at the moment.

Look at the team that started the season. When you get promoted, you need to build on the momentum from a promotion season….and get some results on the board, even unexpected ones sometimes. We could have anticipated a decent return from our early games had we been able to do that….we didn’t, so we were miles behind from day 1….and have never recovered.

Ownership is the root cause of it all, but if you accept we were stuck with what we had, the recruitment has been an attrocious use of the limited resources we had.

Aside from occasional good games from Hamer, Souza and Archer and the loan for McAtee, every other signing is somewhere between a bit crap and absolutely useless. Berge would have been a passenger at this level so his absence is no loss but leaving it so late to sell him and Ndiaye meant no time to bring in players before the season started and put us on the back foot in the first few games where we should have been aiming for about 7 points if we prepared right with the ins and outs. Then in Jan, we loan a good attacking option in BBD but also bring in a hopeless keeper and a defender who can't get a game a division below, actively making the team worse in the process.

We'd almost certainly still go down with the prince in charge but it's hard to belive the squad we have is genuinely the best we could have managed.

Ownership is the root cause of it all, but if you accept we were stuck with what we had, the recruitment has been an attrocious use of the limited resources we had.

Aside from occasional good games from Hamer, Souza and Archer and the loan for McAtee, every other signing is somewhere between a bit crap and absolutely useless. Berge would have been a passenger at this level so his absence is no loss but leaving it so late to sell him and Ndiaye meant no time to bring in players before the season started and put us on the back foot in the first few games where we should have been aiming for about 7 points if we prepared right with the ins and outs. Then in Jan, we loan a good attacking option in BBD but also bring in a hopeless keeper and a defender who can't get a game a division below, actively making the team worse in the process.

We'd almost certainly still go down with the prince in charge but it's hard to belive the squad we have is genuinely the best we could have managed.
Yes i think people need to take a step back and realise we’re stuck with the prince until a suitable buyer turns up, however long that will be !

I agree in the main, our job was hard enough anyway without selling Ndiaye and Berge but then replacing them with the same or lesser quality players is not going to win you any prizes in the unforgiving premier league. The recruitment team will take all their information to the owners who sign it off, I’d argue that the clubs big wigs have to trust the professional opinion.
The ownership should certainly be questioning the fitness/medical side of things because the amount of injuries we’ve got is embarrassing and it’s not a new thing either.

I don’t think it works like that.

Wilder/knill & recruitment team seem like they have almost free reign (within budget). Owner gives the OK at the end.

The below is from a few years back but knowing us it probably hasn’t changed much.

SHEFFIELD UNITED
The Blades appointed Paul Mitchellnot that one– as head of recruitment/development after restructuring their entire scouting department in the summer of 2016. Chris Wilder, who replaced Nigel Adkins around the same time, and assistant Alan Knill are particularly involved when it comes to transfers, culminating in their rise to the Premier League. No player is targeted without the manager’s approval. It then falls on chief executive Stephen Bettis to iron out all the details.

www.football365.com

Who is in charge of transfers at each Premier League club? - Football365

I voted 'Ownership' as the biggest issue.

However what I witnessed today was all about our players not being technically good enough for the Premier league.

We could gain points in the rest of the season through hard work and some good fortune.

McAtee is the exception. He showed hard work, determination and a high sense of leadership with his attitude. It just shows how far he has come as an individual since that game at Luton last season.

Knock.....knock...
..........................?
Biggish
........................?
Not today, thanks.

I think we came up with no real system, and so didn't buy for one. Then sold the centre point of any focus of play we did have. Becomes too much about individual talent if we lack the above, and here we are.

If you choose Brighton as a very relevant comparison, they had some cash but not a lot, they've invested well I'm infrastructure. A good ground and fan experience, a quality accounting system, they've played the long game. Our owner could learn a lot of lessons from teams like Brighton and Brentford.
Our fans aren’t patient enough for that

Our fans aren’t patient enough for that
I’m not sure. I think the majority of fans would buy in to a longer term project if it was well communicated and they could see signs of progress. I think the thick ones who want everything now, whilst being very noisy, are very much in the minority. So, fuck ‘em.

Back
Top Bottom