Thank you Sander

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berge is worth every penny of the 35 million somebody may have to pay. When he's been fit that has looked a snip actually. If I was the buying party my only hang up would be the injury. I'd probably try and get him for a relative song now or go back in in January if he proves it consistently. The prices for rank average players only makes him more atteactive imo

Berge's aerial prowess undoubtedly improved during the last part of the season

Imo, a fit Sander Berge being available throughout the coming season could very easily be the difference between United being a top 10 side and being a team in the autos next May. He has just seemingly found his best position, seemed to be enjoying his football, was being well coached by the SUFC coaching team and seemed genuinely happy with life. If we go up, we would be royally pissed off of we had given him away this pre season for next to sod all.

When you consider that West Ham have just signed a championship player who has done sod all yet from Swansea for around £12m then you should realistically think that SB could be worth anything upto the £25-30m. We should be desperately trying to keep the lad this season and going all out for promotion this season. Fair enough if we don't make it then by all means sell the lad for the best price we can get and tout his services out like a victorian Whitechapel prossie. But this pre season we should only be entertaining real head changing bids for him.

I sometimes think some of our fans live in the past re transfer fees and what is realistic. The fees involved in football are obscene nowadays but as a club we should join the party and get these high fees for any of our players in demand. When you consider that Harry 'pass it sideways or back' Maguire went for £80m....

Imo, a fit Sander Berge being available throughout the coming season could very easily be the difference between United being a top 10 side and being a team in the autos next May. He has just seemingly found his best position, seemed to be enjoying his football, was being well coached by the SUFC coaching team and seemed genuinely happy with life. If we go up, we would be royally pissed off of we had given him away this pre season for next to sod all.

When you consider that West Ham have just signed a championship player who has done sod all yet from Swansea for around £12m then you should realistically think that SB could be worth anything upto the £25-30m. We should be desperately trying to keep the lad this season and going all out for promotion this season. Fair enough if we don't make it then by all means sell the lad for the best price we can get and tout his services out like a victorian Whitechapel prossie. But this pre season we should only be entertaining real head changing bids for him.

I sometimes think some of our fans live in the past re transfer fees and what is realistic. The fees involved in football are obscene nowadays but as a club we should join the party and get these high fees for any of our players in demand. When you consider that Harry 'pass it sideways or back' Maguire went for £80m....

Exactly, oozes class. Some of us were calling Harry the English Pique and laughing at those that were saying he wouldn't make it at a higher level by the way (the majority I recall ). It was patently obvious that he was playing at the wrong level.

Berge has a skill set that is actually more suitable to the higher echelons of English football than the lower. I realise I'm preaching to the converted if you could analyse his PL performances post first lockdown and at the start of the second Prem season. If Berge doesn't get injured at that point he'd already have moved on imo.

Last year was merely a case of waiting for him to get up to speed. If we'd managed him right at the start of last season who knows where we'd be now as we'd have got months more out of him at that level. As it is he's an extremely technically adroit big lad that can play all over a midfield. Very few of them about.

Be sorry if he goes but as they say as one door closes another opens.
Looking back hes been spasmodically good but match winning on only a disappointingly small number of occasions

He's not been for me the 22m inspirational player we thought we'd aquired. For what we invested it s not quite given us the boost we'd expected

He is replaceable .Probably a less gifted but more involved in more games more often player could be of benefit

Last edited:
Looking back hes been spasmodically good but match winning on only a disappointingly small number of occasions

He's not been for me the 22m inspirational player we thought we'd aquired. For what we invested it s not quite given us the boost we'd expected

He is replaceable .Probably a less gifted but more involved in more games more often player could be of benefit
I think the second half of the season he started to find his feet in the more advanced free role Heckingbottom gave him. Taking that into next season I think he’d have a great season.

If he goes he’ll probably go back to playing in a 2 somewhere, probably deep again & im not sure that suits him or shows him at his best

Maybe not been the inspirational player but it may not be his fault,if he plays with players somewhere near his skill level,who knows?

Maybe not been the inspirational player but it may not be his fault,if he plays with players somewhere near his skill level,who knows?
Nails it here for me. He is head and shoulders above anyone we have, who else runs at players takes players on always looking forward and no booming balls. He is a rolls Royce of a footballer at our club when he does leave we will be worse for it the only player with a better footballing brain was MGW and he wasn't our player
I just hope he gives us one more season or if not we recoup the 22m spent

UTB

Nails it here for me. He is head and shoulders above anyone we have, who else runs at players takes players on always looking forward and no booming balls. He is a rolls Royce of a footballer at our club when he does leave we will be worse for it the only player with a better footballing brain was MGW and he wasn't our player
I just hope he gives us one more season or if not we recoup the 22m spent

UTB
I absolutely agree with all that,71Blade,in an ideal world ,the club should be looking at players of a higher skill level to play alongside him but that costs so we make do and mend, i realise that.

It's no ones fault players fit in or they dont overall he was like Jaguar car with a faulty starter motor ..looked exciting but didn't always get started.
we need 4 if 5 solid 40 game z season performers to challenge
20 25 game z season players. don't wash

It's no ones fault players fit in or they dont overall he was like Jaguar car with a faulty starter motor ..looked exciting but didn't always get started.
we need 4 if 5 solid 40 game z season performers to challenge
20 25 game z season players. don't wash
True,inconsistency has been a big failing,maybe more competition for places would alter that,having to fight for the shirt as Hecky wants.

Back
Top Bottom