Gone Elsewhere Teemu Pukki

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not a signing to get the juices flowing but we know we have a limited budget so depending what else is in the pipeline, it might not be the worst bit of business.

Nothing more than rumour at this point anyway.

Quite a few Norwich fans on their forum think he will be coming here. Nothing concrete as far as I can see though

We'll need 5/6 strikers next season and there's several uncertainties around our current squad:

Ndiaye - Will he still be here?
McB - Will be one of the 5, but ideally not a regular starter
Brewster - Can he be reliably fit?
Jebbison - Is he good enough to contribute in the Prem? Would he benefit from a season long Championship loan?
Sharp - Worth keeping on low wages as 5th/6th choice, but should rank no higher. Would he be happy with this?
Osula - Needs a loan away for a year.

I think you could have 5 being Ndiaye, McB, Brewster, New Recruit, and Sharp, knowing you have Jebbison on loan that you can recall. However, if Brewster isn't going to be fit, you'd need someone else. If Sharp or Ndiaye leave, they'd need replacing.

Having Pukki on a free as effectively 4th choice striker I don't think is a bad shout, given the state of flux above. We'd still need a further recruit to be a regular starter.

If he's another body (perhaps to replace Sharp in the squad) then I could understand it. However, he now looks a long way from the player of 3 seasons ago and I'd question how many goals the club would envisage him scoring next season.

We'll need 5/6 strikers next season and there's several uncertainties around our current squad:

Ndiaye - Will he still be here?
McB - Will be one of the 5, but ideally not a regular starter
Brewster - Can he be reliably fit?
Jebbison - Is he good enough to contribute in the Prem? Would he benefit from a season long Championship loan?
Sharp - Worth keeping on low wages as 5th/6th choice, but should rank no higher. Would he be happy with this?
Osula - Needs a loan away for a year.

I think you could have 5 being Ndiaye, McB, Brewster, New Recruit, and Sharp, knowing you have Jebbison on loan that you can recall. However, if Brewster isn't going to be fit, you'd need someone else. If Sharp or Ndiaye leave, they'd need replacing.

Having Pukki on a free as effectively 4th choice striker I don't think is a bad shout, given the state of flux above. We'd still need a further recruit to be a regular starter.

Ndiaye - Hopefully will still be here
McB - Will be one of the 5, but ideally not a regular starter - agree, think he will be offered a new deal.
Brewster - Can't see him going a whole season fit so can't be relied upon.
Jebbison - Championship loan ideally
Sharp - Shouldn't be included in any discussions for the Prem, other than possibly in a coaching capacity
Osula - Championship loan ideally

I think we need at least 3 forward players in alongside Oli Mac, Ndiaye and a dodgy Brewster

It was said again on the wireless this morning, any team that wants to survive in the Prem needs a striker who can score 12 to 15 in a season....we don't have that, possibly with the exception of Ndaiye, but it remains to be seen whether a) he stays or b) whether, (dare I say it) he is as effective at Prem level...

You could argue that Pukki would be better than Sharp but he's looked like his age has caught up with him this year. Slower and less stamina. Can't imagine he'll be much good in a struggling team.

McB - Will be one of the 5, but ideally not a regular starter - agree, think he will be offered a new deal.
Sharp - Shouldn't be included in any discussions for the Prem, other than possibly in a coaching capacity

I think we need at least 3 forward players in alongside Oli Mac, Ndiaye and a dodgy Brewster

It was said again on the wireless this morning, any team that wants to survive in the Prem needs a striker who can score 12 to 15 in a season....we don't have that, possibly with the exception of Ndaiye, but it remains to be seen whether a) he stays or b) whether, (dare I say it) he is as effective at Prem level...

I'd agree with that, other than perhaps I'd keep Sharp as 6th choice - with 9 subs on the bench he'd be on it most weeks, and he is the skipper.

Given the above, and needing 3 forwards - Pukki as a cheap option for one of the three is surely not as bad as people are making out? If he was the only striker signed then yes, major concern. But on a free, relatively cheap wages, experienced goalscorer, I think we can do worse.

Have a like for the use of the word 'wireless'.

Reminded me of the good old days 😁

I know it is only one game but he looked well off it against us.

Shame because I was one of those well on the Pukki train.

That said, he's got 4 years on Billy and he's playing in a rather poorly performing Norwich team so perhaps it's not easy to judge.

He's scored well each time in the PL, that you can't deny. He's not been especially injury prone either and the likes of Vardy are still creating a bit of nuisance even in advancing years.

Not sure having him and Billy gives the right balance in the forwards and I feel uncomfortable writing that!

we have to be looking at better and younger strikers than pukki so a definete no from me think we might go for archer and morris

I think we could do a lot worse than Pukki to be honest. He may be 33 but he's always fit and available and although he hasn't scored as many this season Norwich have been really poor and he's managed 10 and got 8 assists which isn't bad either. I think a bit like Didzy that he just needs a move to freshen up his career, I think we could do a lot worse than him if we are on a budget then he could be a surprise package. We've had a few golden oldies in the past of course who've done a great job for one season or so. He'll also be a cracking player to have for influencing the younger strikers too.

we have to be looking at better and younger strikers than pukki so a definete no from me think we might go for archer and morris
I'd love both of those too, but as it stands with current budget we'll certainly not get Archer, maybe Morris but possibly only if Ndiaye goes. That seems the reality of where we're at right now.

I know it is only one game but he looked well off it against us.

Shame because I was one of those well on the Pukki train.

That said, he's got 4 years on Billy and he's playing in a rather poorly performing Norwich team so perhaps it's not easy to judge.

He's scored well each time in the PL, that you can't deny. He's not been especially injury prone either and the likes of Vardy are still creating a bit of nuisance even in advancing years.

Not sure having him and Billy gives the right balance in the forwards and I feel uncomfortable writing that!

He's stagnated under Smith and Wagner, in a team that's just not had any real squad churn. They also sold his link man Buendia.

We finished 9th without a 15 goal striker 1st season up

I'd love both of those too, but as it stands with current budget we'll certainly not get Archer, maybe Morris but possibly only if Ndiaye goes. That seems the reality of where we're at right now.
archer loan morris buy

We know he can score in prem so why not If we dont have much

Fine with this as long as it is a Billy replacement and not as well as Billy signing a new contract.

As poor as Pukki looked in the most recent away game at Norwich, I actually thought he still looked really impressive in our 2-2 home draw against them. His movement was fantastic. He's an underrated footballer too, not just an out and out bagsman like Billy was.

Fine with this as long as it is a Billy replacement and not as well as Billy signing a new contract.

As poor as Pukki looked in the most recent away game at Norwich, I actually thought he still looked really impressive in our 2-2 home draw against them. His movement was fantastic. He's an underrated footballer too, not just an out and out bagsman like Billy was.
His ratio at Norwich is 87 in 198 league games so to be fair not many better than that over the last few years. I think it's a no brainer personally. Maybe he might not get 10-15 goals like he has for Norwich in the Prem previously but he would be a great option off the bench if not to start when on form. I'd be very surprised if we don't have some interest in him given out budget restraints. Can't be that many better free transfer strikers out there than Pukki that we can afford wages wise.

Back
Top Bottom