Team v Blackburn in Carabao Cup

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After Wilders rant yesterday it will be interesting to see which of yesterdays team are playing in this one. Think one or two are now playing for their shirt quicker than they anticipated.

Staying up is far more important than reaching the final or even winning the league cup.
Why do people think it’s an either/or situation. Of course we want to stay up, but that has nothing to do with cup games. There are hardly any mid week matches to tire us out.

If we don't care about losing:

GK Verrips
RWB K. Freeman
LWB Osborn
LCB Bryan
CCB Stearman
RCB Jagielka
MF Besic
MF L. Freeman
MF Morrison
SC Moussett
SC McBurnie

If we want to win

GK Moore
RWB K. Freeman
LWB Stevens
LCB JoC
CCB Stearman
RCB Jags
MF Besic
MF Osborn
MF Morrison
SC McBurnie
SC McGoldrick

Just play as many of the backup squad as we can, doesn’t matter this season about the cups for me
Just play back up squad against Chelsea as we aren't going to get anything at Stamford Bridge !

Hope CW playes the likes of Mouset, Besic, Morrison, Osbourne etc. Only bought ticket for chance to see rest of squad play.
Can't see why people think playing second string = losing. We are in much better shape than v Barnet last year and if our squad members are not hungry enough to be capable of beating Blackburn at home I'm not sure they belong in a Premier League squad,
Survival or cup success are not mutually exclusive, doing well in both is an option and how many other PL teams are likely to play first team? Save the big boys for the semis.

I think the team for Blackburn will be more intriguing than Leicester as I can't see Wilder changing much for Leicester apart from those enforced on him. Wilder usually plays his fringe players for these games and I see no reason why he wouldn't for this, especially given the improved strength of the squad and the need to give some of those games.

My guess...

GK Moore/Verrips?
RWB K. Freeman
LWB Osborn
LCB O'Connell/Bryan?
CCB Jagielka
RCB Stearman
MF Besic
MF L. Freeman
MF Morrison
SC Sharp
SC McBurnie

Mousset on bench as he looked way off when I saw him. The midfield is interesting because obviously Fleck won't play but I wonder if Luke Freeman will feature as he's been sub for both games so far but must be a shoe-in for the Leicester game. If we play him with Morrison and Besic, then we could see Besic as the DM with two attacking midfielders just in front. Again with Kean Bryan, he was brought it as cover for JOC but looked more comfortable in pre-season in centre midfield. I've put McBurnie in for the same reason as Luke Freeman, not started yet but likely to on Saturday.
Verrips won't play until FIFA tickle our balls and confirm the transfer is all above board.

The chance to win some games in both cups is very important for a) confidence seen as we'll lose more than we win this season, and b) game time for fringe / bench players at a competitive level. I know Wilder generally doesnt give a shit about the cups, but this season for me is one where it'd be good to progress as far as we can. and the squads in a much better position to do so

Moore
Jagielka Stearman Bryan
K.Freeman Besic Ravel Osborn
Robinson
Sharp Mousset

Subs: Verrips, Basham, O'Connell, Lundstram, L.Freeman, McGoldrick, McBurnie
I think if the plan is to play not the team that plays Chelsea then you could consider Basham in the place of Jags.

Firstly because he can probably enjoy more overlapping moments vs Blackburn and a decent performance would not do him too much harm and secondly because there is some logic in using the squad and playing Jagielka away at Chelsea where defensive quality will be much needed and opportunity to bomb forward will be vastly reduced.

I think if the plan is to play not the team that plays Chelsea then you could consider Basham in the place of Jags.

Firstly because he can probably enjoy more overlapping moments vs Blackburn and a decent performance would not do him too much harm and secondly because there is some logic in using the squad and playing Jagielka away at Chelsea where defensive quality will be much needed and opportunity to bomb forward will be vastly reduced.

I agree with this. I expect Jagielka to start the away games VS the big 6 and I think it will be the right call if he does.

All this “not bothered about the cups” talk was fair enough when we were going for promotion, but the league cup is the most achievable silverware we can win now. We aren’t going to win the Premier League so why not go for a domestic cup? It’s the natural progression, and too many premier league clubs don’t realise it, preferring cash over actual achievements, trophies and legacy. Let’s not be like that, let’s go and win something. Strongest side.

I'm 61 and the only final I've seen us in was the bloody Watney Cup...... and we lost that to f***king Bristol Rovers (thanks Ted).

Although conversely, Jags could probably do with some game time before he gets dropped straight in at Chelsea - maybe start him and give him 60 minutes, then bring Bash on.

Assuming all ok, I'd go with.

----------------Verrips-------------
-----Jags----Stearman---Bryan----
K. Freeman-----------------Osborn
-----------Besic------Morrison-----
-------------McGoldrick------------
---------Mousset------Sharp-------

Subs:
Moore
Basham
Stevens
Norwood
Freeman
McBurnie
Robinson

I wasn't far away, only difference was Norwood for Luke Freeman and Luke came on when Bryan got injured early on.

Back
Top Bottom