Team v Blackburn in Carabao Cup

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

coaxingstar71

First 10 yards are in the head
Reaction score
I think the team for Blackburn will be more intriguing than Leicester as I can't see Wilder changing much for Leicester apart from those enforced on him. Wilder usually plays his fringe players for these games and I see no reason why he wouldn't for this, especially given the improved strength of the squad and the need to give some of those games.

My guess...

GK Moore/Verrips?
RWB K. Freeman
LWB Osborn
LCB O'Connell/Bryan?
CCB Jagielka
RCB Stearman
MF Besic
MF L. Freeman
MF Morrison
SC Sharp
SC McBurnie

Mousset on bench as he looked way off when I saw him. The midfield is interesting because obviously Fleck won't play but I wonder if Luke Freeman will feature as he's been sub for both games so far but must be a shoe-in for the Leicester game. If we play him with Morrison and Besic, then we could see Besic as the DM with two attacking midfielders just in front. Again with Kean Bryan, he was brought it as cover for JOC but looked more comfortable in pre-season in centre midfield. I've put McBurnie in for the same reason as Luke Freeman, not started yet but likely to on Saturday.

I think the team for Blackburn will be more intriguing than Leicester as I can't see Wilder changing much for Leicester apart from those enforced on him. Wilder usually plays his fringe players for these games and I see no reason why he wouldn't for this, especially given the improved strength of the squad and the need to give some of those games.

My guess...

GK Moore/Verrips?
RWB K. Freeman
LWB Osborn
LCB O'Connell/Bryan?
CCB Jagielka
RCB Stearman
MF Besic
MF L. Freeman
MF Morrison
SC Sharp
SC McBurnie

Mousset on bench as he looked way off when I saw him. The midfield is interesting because obviously Fleck won't play but I wonder if Luke Freeman will feature as he's been sub for both games so far but must be a shoe-in for the Leicester game. If we play him with Morrison and Besic, then we could see Besic as the DM with two attacking midfielders just in front. Again with Kean Bryan, he was brought it as cover for JOC but looked more comfortable in pre-season in centre midfield. I've put McBurnie in for the same reason as Luke Freeman, not started yet but likely to on Saturday.

Pretty much what I would be expecting, though I would start Mousset as he’s not going to get fit unless we start making him play 90mins.
So, as McBurnie is getting minutes in the prem I would start Mousset over McBurnie.

Like the look of that midfield though!!

Forget the cups. Im happy with the above mentioned team. We have a squad of players like Besic / Morrison all our strikers etc.

I disagree about not being bothered about the cups, although I'd still play fringe players with maybe a couple of first-teamers as I see it as a good way of some of them getting game time. We don't seem to be playing them in the U23's. We only play 38 games this season too so there's less chance of anyone being 'rested'.

All this “not bothered about the cups” talk was fair enough when we were going for promotion, but the league cup is the most achievable silverware we can win now. We aren’t going to win the Premier League so why not go for a domestic cup? It’s the natural progression, and too many premier league clubs don’t realise it, preferring cash over actual achievements, trophies and legacy. Let’s not be like that, let’s go and win something. Strongest side.

All this “not bothered about the cups” talk was fair enough when we were going for promotion, but the league cup is the most achievable silverware we can win now. We aren’t going to win the Premier League so why not go for a domestic cup? It’s the natural progression, and too many premier league clubs don’t realise it, preferring cash over actual achievements, trophies and legacy. Let’s not be like that, let’s go and win something. Strongest side.

Agree with that but we are very different this season in that our back team isn’t much worse than the first team.
So for the first time ever......which ever team we out out will be strong with quality players.

No way.
We play Leicester a few days before and Chelsea a few days after.
If we don't trust at least 8 first team squad members against Blackburn why the fuck are they here?

I would say next season is the year to start thinking seriously about a cup. Staying up has to be the priority, I would argue we would be much freer next year when we’ve got that extra year of premier league experience under our belts.

.....and yes I did say when not if

My guess...

GK Moore/Verrips?
RWB K. Freeman
LWB Osborn
LCB O'Connell/Bryan?
CCB Jagielka
RCB Stearman
MF Besic
MF L. Freeman
MF Morrison
SC Sharp
SC McBurnie

I think Jagielka will be RCB and Stearman CCB

A decent Cup run is the one thing missing from Wilder's CV at the mo, so wouldn't surprise me if he has half an eye on having a pop at going deep in a cup.

Lots of new faces at the mo, so can see him wanting to get a few of them game time, but can also see him wanting to win.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a half/half team with the likes of Jagielka and Basic coming in, but can't see him going with Bryan, Morrison or Mousset at this point in time.

Moore
Jagielka Stearman Bryan
K.Freeman Besic Ravel Osborn
Mousset Sharp McBurnie

Subs: Verrips, Basham, O'Connell, Lundstram, L.Freeman, Robinson, McGoldrick

Same team as in behind closed doors game v Man U.

Have to take it 100% seriously because Blackburn could easily beat us comfortably if we're off it.

Apparently we can use our players not in the Premier League squad like Clarke. Don't think we will though!

A decent Cup run is the one thing missing from Wilder's CV at the mo, so wouldn't surprise me if he has half an eye on having a pop at going deep in a cup.

Lots of new faces at the mo, so can see him wanting to get a few of them game time, but can also see him wanting to win.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a half/half team with the likes of Jagielka and Basic coming in, but can't see him going with Bryan, Morrison or Mousset at this point in time.
He's said Morrison will figure v Blackburn

I'd like a decent cup run even without the first team playing. I think we have a good enough 2nd 11 to worry most championship sides if they are up for it now. League cup is over by February so i'd rather have a good run in that. Midweek too so doesn't involve games being moved about like the fa cup can later on.

Winning league cup = 1m in prize money a shiny trophy and history

Premier league survival = 100m

Wonder what the clubs priority is.
Obviously PL survival takes priority but it's 94 years since we won a cup, which is one reason we are the most high profile team in Europe never to have played in a major European tournament. A League Cup win would put us in the Europa League. We may even stand a chance of bettering the pigs' epic assault on Europe in the 1990s

Moore
Jagielka Stearman Bryan
Robinson
Sharp Mousset

Subs: Verrips, Basham, O'Connell, Lundstram, L.Freeman, McGoldrick, McBurnie

Moore
Jagielka Stearman Bryan
Robinson
Sharp Mousset

Subs: Verrips, Basham, O'Connell, Lundstram, L.Freeman, McGoldrick, McBurnie

I'd probably start Verrips, and someone random from the U23s ahead of Robinson, but aside from that this looks good

Moore (Preferably Verrips but I don't know if we're avoiding playing him at the moment)

Freeman, Jags, Stearman, Bryan, Osborn
Besic, Lundstram, Morrison
Robinson Mousset

A mix of the definite number twos and some who need minutes/to get their eye in.

Should be good enough, but I said that before Barnet.

Looking forward to it, love a night match.

Don't know if we're 'clear' to play Verrips.

I'd start Robinson to try and build his fitness and confidence. He needs to get off the mark. And I wouldn't start him at Chelsea so no resting required.

I wish we were playing Bury and then got Bolton in the next round.

Couldn't care less about the Caribou Cup.

If they can manage it get Besic, Osborn, Morrison, Mousset 90 minutes. We want as many people pushing for starting spots as possible

Back
Top Bottom