2022/2023 Match Thread Swansea City v. Sheffield United - 13th September 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SWA
SWA
SWA

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1662975404711.png vs. 1662975410962.png

Championship Week 10 - Tuesday 13th September 2022 - 19:45 - Swansea.com Stadium
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/swansea-city-vs-sheffield-united.614/

Officials:

Referee: Darren Bond
Assistant Referee: Philip Dermott
Assistant Referee: Samuel Ogles
Fourth Official: Tim Robinson

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1662975530620.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2022-09-12 at 10.39.30.png

Swans 1 Blades 3 (Oli Mac x 2 and Brewster....the go back and haunt your old club thing)
And to think just a few weeks ago I would have said Swans 2 Blades 0 (Oli Mac x 2 forgetting who he plays for now!)

Won't be at this one unfortunately but hoping we can carry the momentum forward from our recent masterclasses!

Haven't won away at Swansea since 1958 apparently. Admittedly we've both bounced around the divisions a lot during that time meaning this is only our 8th or 9th visit since then.

I'd take a point, but given our form at the minute, I do fancy a 1-0 Blades win.

No Lowe so I reckon we might see:

Wes
Bash Egan Anel
George RND
Norwood Doyle
Berge N'Diaye
McBurnie

(Assuming no other injuries of course 🤞)

The last time a British monarch died, King George V on 6th Feb 1952, Sheffield United played away at Swansea in the next game, on 9th Feb 1952. We were in League Division 2 at the time and were beaten 3-1.

In that season Swansea narrowly avoided relegation and we ended up disappointingly finishing mid-table, with the pigs finishing top of the table.

Obviously an irrelevant, but interesting coincidence nonetheless.

I'm going for a strong display and a 1-2 win, conceding through our injury hit left side.

The last time a British monarch died, King George V on 6th Feb 1952, Sheffield United played away at Swansea in the next game, on 9th Feb 1952. We were in League Division 2 at the time and were beaten 3-1.
It was the next League game but we actually played on the evening of 6/2/52 itself, an FA Cup win at home to West Ham.

Odds on Oli McB gets a hat trick at his old club. 3-0 to Yoonited

monarch death - next utd game (to the best of my knowledge)

jan 22nd 1901 - Sunderland W 2-1
may 6th 1910 - Sunderland L 2-1
jan 20th 1936 - Preston D 0-0
dec 11th 1936 - Fulham W 2-0
6th feb 1952 - West Ham W 4-2

It was the next League game but we actually played on the evening of 6/2/52 itself, an FA Cup win at home to West Ham.

As posted elsewhere , I was at the West Ham match and what a cracker it was but don’t remember it being in the evening .

My recollection is that of it kicking off late morning or early afternoon . I could be wrong since it was such a long time ago , but I know that I went on my own and doubt that I would have been allowed to for a night match as an eleven year old .

Perhaps Silent or one of our other noble historians can confirm this one way or the other .

In that season Swansea narrowly avoided relegation and we ended up disappointingly finishing mid-table, with the pigs finishing top of the table.

Obviously an irrelevant, but interesting coincidence nonetheless.

I'm going for a strong display and a 1-2 win, conceding through our injury hit left side.
You mean King George VI :)

9 games since we won away at Swansea (8 in the league) and we have never won at the Liberty Stadium.

From what I read and have heard on podcasts, Swansea have deviated slightly from their self destructive purposeless possession game in the last few weeks, actually trying to move the ball more quickly and forwards. So it might not be the stroll it was at home last season, and they might not be as toothless as they were in both games last year. That's probably just as well as the way they played last season is 100 per cent not the way you should be playing against our forwards and midfield.

I think the biggest variable is how many injuries we have. If we are in a position to set up like we did against Hull, it's a very winnable game. If we have yet more players out, who knows?

I was a spectator at Swansea’s greatest ever game. They beat Hull 3-2 to avoid being relegated to the conference. Leon Brtitton looked a player and James Thomas scored for them. Always had a liking for them, wouldn’t call it a soft spot, but it was easy to get caught in the celebrations.

As posted elsewhere , I was at the West Ham match and what a cracker it was but don’t remember it being in the evening .

My recollection is that of it kicking off late morning or early afternoon . I could be wrong since it was such a long time ago , but I know that I went on my own and doubt that I would have been allowed to for a night match as an eleven year old .

Perhaps Silent or one of our other noble historians can confirm this one way or the other .

I can't find the programme of the match (which was a replay) but I have found the programme of the original tie the previous Saturday which shows West Ham fans' travel arrangements in the event of a replay.

Arrive Sheffield Midland 12.45pm, depart 5.09pm. Suggests a 2.30pm kickoff (?) but yes you are absolutely correct that it was an afternoon kickoff.

Screenshot_2022-09-13-08-58-38-14_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

No mention of Clark by hecky when he was talking about injuries. So it's probably going to be.

Wes
Bash Egan anel
Baldock Norwood Doyle RND
Berge ndiaye
Mcburnie
We have only 19 fit players so the matchday squad virtually picks itself - all Hecky has to do is pick one player to exclude !

I can't find the programme of the match (which was a replay) but I have found the programme of the original tie the previous Saturday which shows West Ham fans' travel arrangements in the event of a replay.

Arrive Sheffield Midland 12.45pm, depart 5.09pm. Suggests a 2.30pm kickoff (?) but yes you are absolutely correct that it was an afternoon kickoff.

View attachment 143717
I don't think floodlights were installed at the Lane until the following season: hence the afternoon kick off.

View attachment 143717

'Central Hotel' where Hammers fans could book seats on the coach was a Victorian hotel and pub that shut only in 2017, with planning permission now to turn into flats. It still sits as an empty pub on Barking Road, about 5-10 minutes away from the old Boleyn Ground.

I don't think Swansea will score a goal and we have fully rested squad, so it's something like 3-0 for Blades.

Back
Top Bottom