Sunderland

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If the owners of Sunderland have any sense they will snap Heckingbottom up.
Whilst I agree that we needed a change of manager, he deserves a job with another club that has a terrific fanbase.
Great shout - as said, Hecky, for me, had to go BUT that doesn't detract from the job he did taking us up ... so he will always get huge love when ever he returns to the Lane (until KO lol)

Based on data (honours, seasons in the top flight, stadium size, attendances), probably the 9th biggest club in England.
Their stats on everything is surprisingly close (very similar) to Newcastle but Newcastle just edge it on most statistics.
Same as our stats are surprisingly similar to Sheff Wed, but again, they just edge it on most statistics.

Sunderland have a pretty impressive honours list, but like us, their heyday was pre war, that's 1st world war not 2nd world war.
And also like us....since the 2nd world war they've been surprisingly underwhelming.
So like us....their overall reputation is weaker than it should be.

Based on data, we usually come in as 19th biggest club in England, so some way behind Sunderland.
Sheff Wed tend to come in about 16th or 17th biggest club in England.
I’ve seen lots of tables /charts etc based on all these things regards honours , attendances , stadium sizes etc and Sunderland are always to 10. Newcastle top 7/8 pigs 13th Leeds 16th us 17th. The latest one I seen was from 2022. I often think how much it will grate in Leeds fans because they really do believe they are a top 6 club lol

I’ve seen lots of tables /charts etc based on all these things regards honours , attendances , stadium sizes etc and Sunderland are always to 10. Newcastle top 7/8 pigs 13th Leeds 16th us 17th. The latest one I seen was from 2022. I often think how much it will grate in Leeds fans because they really do believe they are a top 6 club lol

When drawing up "big club" lists it's generally based on a list of simple criteria
like honours, average attendances, stadium size, seasons in the top flight etc.

However there are subjective factors that don't seem to be taken into account, for example

1: A weighting for living memory.
Sheff Utd and especially Sunderland have a more than decent list of honours and many seasons spent in the top flight
but it's predominately pre war. Since the 2nd world war both clubs have done very little.

Sheff Wed have done better post war but this century (since 2000) often been a league 1 club.
Should very recent history carry an extra weighting?

2: European success.
Not many people probably realise that based on almost every big club stat we are bigger than Nottingham Forest.
We've had more seasons in the top flight than them, more honours and bigger average attendances
but what makes Forest so special is their 2 Europeans Cup wins and the romance surrounding the great Brian Clough.
What extra weighting do you give to European success and world wide fame?

3: Potential.
I've heard people refer to Bristol City and Plymouth Argyle as big clubs and refer to Leeds as a gigantic club (one of the biggest in the country)
The stats for all 3 clubs is surprisingly poor but they all have massive potential. When arguing about big clubs that word "potential" really muddies the waters because it's difficult to qualify or argue against. Sheff Wed fans often call themselves a massive club when all the facts suggest the opposite but their argument is generally based on potential which is often impossible to argue about.

Always thought before drawing up a list of big clubs you need to decide and agree the terms of reference
and any relevant weighting towards modern day, as recent history is surely more relevant than pre war history.

Sky Bet odds to be appointed next Sunderland manager:

Julien Sable 11/10

Kim Hellberg 4/1

Steven Schumacher 5/1

Will Still 6/1

Paul Heckingbottom 8/1

Cabbage 16/1

Supporters I associate with are underwhelmed by this ‘shortlist’ but appear to ‘prefer’ the ‘exotic’ (ish) nature of Sable
They’re not chuffed at all about the prospect of PH despite (because of ?!) my promoting his coaching capacity with bairns- of which they have many

Sky Bet odds to be appointed next Sunderland manager:

Julien Sable 11/10

Kim Hellberg 4/1

Steven Schumacher 5/1

Will Still 6/1

Paul Heckingbottom 8/1

Cabbage 16/1

Supporters I associate with are underwhelmed by this ‘shortlist’ but appear to ‘prefer’ the ‘exotic’ (ish) nature of Sable
They’re not chuffed at all about the prospect of PH despite (because of ?!) my promoting his coaching capacity with bairns- of which they have many

They holding out hope to get a cabbage in?

If you read the Sunderland forum they were never impressed with us last season.

Often commenting when watching our televised matches on Sky that we always looked a very average mid table side that had 2 top players in Berge and N'Diaye and they regularly commented that they looked a better team than us and should be higher than us in the league.

There's a thread specifically on Hecky and in recent days.....
I'd say 95% of their fans are saying a resounding no regards having Hecky as their manager, basically they don't want him.
They think it would be underwhelming and being a big club think they can get better....a bigger name....someone with a better CV.
Did you go on porktalk by accident?!

They holding out hope to get a cabbage in?
They quite rated him 1st time around & tolerated his ‘ethnic origins’ but his subsequent spell up the road (+ being shite @ WBA) appears to have scuppered any enthusiasm for a return & he’s now viewed as a ‘busted flush’
He’s apparently ‘interested’ in the ROI job which will likely be more appealing as he can more easily fuck off & watch cricket whenever he wants !

It makes you wonder if the hold up was Wilder possibly talking to Sunderland?
A Millers fan friend of mine told me they were in talks with Wilder a while ago he pulled out suddenly! He thinks it was after the Prince gave him a nudge meaning he could get the Blades job again.
First time round he almost took the Charlton job we got in just in time otherwise our recent history could have been a lot different.

They think it would be underwhelming and being a big club think they can get better....a bigger name....someone with a better CV.

Big club syndrome eh, where else have we seen that 🤣

Hecky didn’t really get any credit for the promotion here. So it’s hard for him to walk into a good job like Sunderland.

Thought he would have been good for Stoke. But Schumacher is a very good manager !

Back
Top Bottom