Sunderland promoted to Championship!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
At least there’s one decent away day next season!

Any others on your away day favourites list next season?

If so, who and why?

Michael Gray said at the end of the game Sunland didn`t deserve to be in League 1 anyway, why the fuck not? they were relegated fair and square and its took em 4 years to get out.
This is the biggest load of shit in football. Don't deserve to be here or there. Well, they do. Over a 46 game season they didn't accrue enough points to stay up. Crowds didn't matter over those 46 games. Or the last 3 years either.

I suppose Everton don't deserve to be so low down either because Bill kenwright is a nice fella or summat?

A tad bitter /sweet
I can walk to an ‘away’ game but have to put up with some ( mostly plastic) fans reminding me ( & themselves) how ‘big’ they are & (as noted above) ‘deserve ‘ to be in the Prem & will be heading there @ end of next season

NB I’ll also willingly walk to another (league) away game @ - LS11 0ES if that can be facilitated?!

Michael Gray said at the end of the game Sunland didn`t deserve to be in League 1 anyway, why the fuck not? they were relegated fair and square and its took em 4 years to get out.
Yeah, it was great of Talksport to have Michael Gray for a nice "unbiased" commentary. Although I did like how the main commentator referred to him as "play-off loser Michael Gray" when he got a bit cocky. 😆

We played them on Boxing Day 2017/18 and they were absolutely shocking, we won 3-0 and it could have been more. John O’Shea looked like he’d won a competition to be there. That was the season after they came down from the Prem and you could tell they were going down again, of course they deserved to be there.

A lot of fans, including many our our own, need to understand that it's now irrelevant whether you have 30,000 crowds or 10,000 crowds.

You can have 1 single fan in the Premier League and you're getting £100 million plus income per year.

We played them on Boxing Day 2017/18 and they were absolutely shocking, we won 3-0 and it could have been more. John O’Shea looked like he’d won a competition to be there. That was the season after they came down from the Prem and you could tell they were going down again, of course they deserved to be there.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team play with such a lack of effort as Sunderland did in that game.

A lot of fans, including many our our own, need to understand that it's now irrelevant whether you have 30,000 crowds or 10,000 crowds.

You can have 1 single fan in the Premier League and you're getting £100 million plus income per year.
Correct. And if you must measure on "fans", the number of people that have heard of you in Nairobi, Doha and Kuala Lumpur is a far more relevant metric today.

You simply cannot be a "big club" today if Kwame in Accra hasn't heard of you. Because they live and breathe top flight football and have done for the past two decades.

People don't like that but it's just true.

If so, who and why?
Good trip is to Derby, who we have now lost to L1, because of the great pubs in the centre. But the best is any match in Brum. The best pub in the world is The Wellington on Bennetts Hill. Ideal day - train to get there for 11:00, then 3 hours supping before walking to St Andrews, train to Albion, or taxi to Villa Park. Hopefully a victory, then another couple of hours in the Wellington before getting the train home, then time for one in the Sheffield Taps before last local train home.
Have to disagree on Sunderland being a good trip. Pubs are pretty shite there...........

Good trip is to Derby, who we have now lost to L1, because of the great pubs in the centre. But the best is any match in Brum. The best pub in the world is The Wellington on Bennetts Hill. Ideal day - train to get there for 11:00, then 3 hours supping before walking to St Andrews, train to Albion, or taxi to Villa Park. Hopefully a victory, then another couple of hours in the Wellington before getting the train home, then time for one in the Sheffield Taps before last local train home.
Have to disagree on Sunderland being a good trip. Pubs are pretty shite there...........

If so, who and why?
The greased piglets must be licking their chops at the prospect of,Fleetwood, Morecambe, and Forest Green😂😂😂

I think Derby is pretty average for pubs, so is Birmingham (dont think Ive been in the Wellington)
Best pub Ive been in for quite a few seasons is The Head of Steam in Huddersfield 12/14 real ales on cant go wrong if they lose to Forest Im on a mission to try them all next season. The Uttoxeter micro brewery was also excellent on the way to Stoke

From an away day perspective, going to the Stadium of Light must be more exciting than Adams Park and not such a shit journey.

IIRC there's a number of 'pound in the pot' pubs on the way from the train station to Adam's Park, if that's your bag....

Guess it’s all down to (local) knowledge
Slumderland has a eclectic array of alehouse catering for the whole spectrum
From your post it appears you prefer ‘real’ ale - 5 in very close proximity of 1 another - quiet / calm / welcoming & within walking distance of ground
And for those of a differing disposition there’s a (1 of 3) Wankerspoons directly opposite a Yates’ - get turfed out of one & guaranteed service in t’other - there’s even a (further) ‘safety net ‘ 20 yards away that caters for the White Lightning / Buckfast connoisseurs

Odd choice pal. Thats a chain pub and there’s one in Sheffield.

Theyre all pretty much the same aren’t they?
Unless I'm wrong, the Hudds HoS was originally a different, independent pub and was bought out relatively recently by the chain due to the name?

I might have that wrong, but I'm half sure I remember hearing that from someone somewhere

Unless I'm wrong, the Hudds HoS was originally a different, independent pub and was bought out relatively recently by the chain due to the name?

I might have that wrong, but I'm half sure I remember hearing that from someone somewhere
I’ve lived in Huddersfield for 25 years and it’s always been the Head of Steam if that helps.

Odd choice pal. Thats a chain pub and there’s one in Sheffield.

Theyre all pretty much the same aren’t they?

Yes it is, I did have to ask the barman if they were part of the same group as the one in Huddersfield isnt anything like the one in Sheffield The one in Huddersfield is like the Sheffield Tap its at the side of the Railway station and is very real ale orientated. If the one in Sheffield was the same I would be there quite often

Sunderland will be a better fixture at the Lane than Wycombe. From what I’ve seen though they will do well to stay up. All depends on the recruitment. As it stands, they haven’t a prayer.

God, I sound like a pig fan when we went up.

Fair dos. I stand corrected.

I’ve lived in Huddersfield for 25 years and it’s always been the Head of Steam if that helps.
Ah so it did predate the chain then? I thought it predated the chain and either wasn't, or isn't, part of it.

Lovely pub either way!

Back
Top Bottom